La Tasca, British Tapas Chain In Several Area Locations

I saw an ad for La Tasca today.  It said "so authentic that you won't find anything better in Spain."

blink.gif

I'm at a complete loss of words here.  That and my undershorts are all wet.

McTapas anyone?

We had to go to Zayatina after just to get the corporate taste out of our mouth.

I'm probably going to get stoned for writing this, but I had fun at the La Tasca in Arlington on Saturday. It was a bit crazy crowded, but our server was very friendly, and I thought the food and drinks were good.

I particularly enjoyed the marinated eggplant with melted cheese, the chorizo, and the chocolate truffle dessert.

I'm not any kind of "authenticity expert," but it was a fun night with tasty food and pretty, fun atmosphere. I was with three of my girlfriends, and we split a pitcher of Sangria, a basket of sundried tomato bread, four tapas dishes, and four desserts, for exactly $20 each (that includes tax and tip). We each tried everything, and it was fun. For $20? Heck yes, I'd do it again, even if that makes me a loser on DR. :lol:

(4 tapas + 4 desserts + 1 pitcher) / 4 people = one tapas, one dessert, and one glass per person.

Would this be more money at Jaleo? It sounds comparably priced to me.

If you enjoyed yourself and the food, nobody is going to argue. But I don't think this is any cheaper than Jaleo for the same amount of food and drink.

It's up to the individual as to whether the food/drink and/or atmosphere is better at one place or the other.

"(4 tapas + 4 desserts + 1 pitcher) / 4 people = one tapas, one dessert, and one glass per person."

I see your point, just wanted to add that the split pitcher was way more than one glass of sangria per person...we had medium-sized glasses, and each had at least three (the two who were driving stopped there, the other two finished the pitcher quite happily).

Overall, I had a good time.

So I just noticed as we were driving down to Fish Market in Old Town that La Tasca has opened in the old Founder's spot (which surprised us as we didn't think Founder's had been closed all that long, but if I'd read the Founder's thread I would have seen that the permit has been up since January).

I had read somewhere that the restaurant has a free paella station at the bar Friday evenings 4:00-7:00pm. And also at the bar on weeknights there are happy hour specials of $2.45 fried eggplant (berejenas fritas), and $2.45 fried potatoes (patatas panaderas), $3 draft beer, and $3 per glass and $13 pitcher sangria. Also, half-price desserts on Sundays.

And evidently half priced wine on Monday nights. We went in on Monday night to the Clarendon location as we happened to be around. Had a glass of Sangria at the bar and a pitcher at the table. May have taken them up on the half price wine special, but we wanted Sangria.

Of the 8 dishes we tried, each seemed to have one (usually minor) thing wrong with them it other than the calamari which I thought was quite good.

Shrimp with garlic, olive oil, and chiles - The sauce was pretty tasty with the chiles giving it a bit of a zing. The shrimp were a bit overcooked though making them a bit tough.

Mushrooms with garlic and olive oil - Good, but it didn't taste like the mushrooms had really been allowed to soak up the garlic and olive oil flavor.

Calamari - The favorite of the night. Tender and not very chewy, very lightly fried, with a nice garlic mayo sauce.

Pork loin with garlic and tomatoes on toast - Was also quite good, though I'm not a big fan at all of tomatoes and thus didn't enjoy the dish all that well. This was more my fault than the kitchen though as the taste of the tomato was a bit stronger than I thought it'd be (which I didn't ask the waitress about) and thus ended up making it not quite as good for me as I'd hoped.

Gazpacho - I can't stand the stuff as it's tomato based, but my GF ordered it. Was served in a glass pureed and my GF likes it chunkier. It was pretty cheap though so she wanted to try it regardless of how it came.

Smoked Salmon and cream cheese on toast - The toast was very tough, which made eating this difficult. The salmon itself was very good, a bit softer than the Nova I'm used to getting on my bagels.

Garlic Bread - Way to crusty and not enough garlic. The texture of the bread was both hard and at the same time crumbly, neither of which I particularly liked.

Chicken Croquettes - Wonderfully mushy on the inside and lightly crispy on the outside. Along with the calamari, these two were easily our favorite dishes.

Overall, we enjoyed the place. The food was good, just not great. The sangria was tasty and they have a number of different types. I believe it was similarly priced to Jaleo. I'd probably prefer Jaleo a bit more, but my GF preferred La Tasca, as she thought she liked the Sangria better and she wasn't overly impressed with Jaleo's food to start with.

I saw an ad for La Tasca today. It said "so authentic that you won't find anything better in Spain."

Overall, we enjoyed the place. The food was good, just not great. The sangria was tasty and they have a number of different types. I believe it was similarly priced to Jaleo. I'd probably prefer Jaleo a bit more, but my GF preferred La Tasca, as she thought she liked the Sangria better and she wasn't overly impressed with Jaleo's food to start with.

Two pitchers of La Tasca's happy-hour agua de Valencia sangria and a bottle of Jaleo's Jean Leon Penedes cleverly concealed within an authentic stove-pipe "foam dome" hat reproduction made an excursion to the National Portrait Gallery by an American presidential history enthusiast with extended fetal alcohol syndrome physically bearable. My convincing novelty "chin curtain" style beard stealthily hid the drinking tube. The late 19th century frock coat, and boots had been traded for a lighter "Jamaica, No Problem" T-shirt and jelly sandals in accordance with the oppressive urban heat which I battled with Spanish zeal while waiting in line to enter; sipping the chilled libations, lazily, hands in the waistband of my jean shorts...catcalling feminin passersby. Despite the cold sangria and wine, a false sense of analgesic warmth was needed to relieve chills from the a creepy wax sculpture of a woman at a diner table and excessive air conditioning on the 3rd floor. The frigid temperature reminded the walk-in freezer at La Tasca and the cooked up counterfeit consumer statue was an allegory to the frozen Sysco brand seafood and such I have witnessed within, and seen served. La Tasca Restaurants Inc. claims "La Tasca's traditional Spanish recipes feature a wide variety of Spanish seafood, chicken, beef and pork dishes and, whenever possible, La Tasca has imported ingredients from Spain." Imports may include inedible ceramic tiles.

My shoulders up real McCoy Lincolnness however recalled Jaleo's bona fide Spanish sardines; a pungent, oily, genuine product like the ones cooked a la plancha on 1/2 inch steel plates the night of St. Peter's procession into the clam waters of Zahara de los Atunes celebrating the start of the sardine migration. As I eyed fat, sweaty tourists and licked my salty brow, I thought of the plump, fried, salty buí±uelos de bacalao in Seville, and from my acerbic reaction to their reaction to my gesturing that their collective girth obstructed my view of the Great Emancipator portrait: ripples of rememberance echoeing the boquerones en vinagre de Jerez of Jaleo and Barcelona's Boquerilla market.

Whether the Spanish as a populace can be regarded as generally lazy is an issue of work ethic, and the greatness of Abe Lincoln a question of ideals. The integrity of Spanish ingredients however should not be compromised and La Tasca's use of third rate products in comparison to Jaleo's is a disservice to Iberian pride, consumers and more than a matter of taste.

I thought of the plump, fried, salty buí±uelos

I must confess that I myself can not resist these obscure objects of desire, found locally at Archibaldo's, where they can be quite plump, fried and salty indeed, and at Viridiana where they are, alas, considerably less so.

(How strange that I never noticed these connections before, I must not be drinking enough).

Again we went to La Tasca, though this time at the Old Town location. After 12 hours of roaming the touristy parts of DC as my parents were in town, we took the boat from Georgetown to Old Town and were walking towards the Metro and decided to have dinner at La Tasca. Again the chicken croquetes were pretty good, the mixed fried seafood was okay, and the fried potatoes bravada (sp?) was good as well with lightly crispy potato cubes. The fried shrimp had too much batter on them for their own good and and it seemed like every dish came with the garlic mayo (which isn't bad though).

My primary complaint with the place though (as we weren't really looking for culinary nirvana, just somewhere we could rest our feet and have some dinner) is that the music was turned up much too loud. Which of course caused everyone in the place to talk that much louder to be heard over the music. The end result was that it was almost impossible to communicate with the people at your own table.

I go to La Tasca if I want tapas and I don't want to travel to Old Town to Las Tapas or downtown because of traffic, weather, or whatever. Now, if I were in Old Town and I had a choice between Las Tapas and La Tasca, I can't even imagine stopping to think about it for a moment.

I have to admit, the noise level in the Clarendon location of La Tasca was just out of control as well. I think I would have enjoyed my meal a lot more even if my dining companion and I had been seated on one of the upper, more quiet levels.

La Tasca opened in the site formerly occupied by ... whatever that forgettable micro-brewery/restaurant was on King Street. There are now at least 3 tapas restaurants on King St. How many can one city support?

From the OpenTable bulletin:

La Tasca - Alexandria

607 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

La Tasca - Alexandria writes...

La Tasca is a careful blend of everything that is good about Spain. Warm decor, authentic cuisine and friendly hospitality. All these go together to create a unique and genuine atmosphere. La Tasca has been described as being so authentic that you won't find anything better in Spain."

I go to La Tasca if I want tapas and I don't want to travel to Old Town to Las Tapas or downtown because of traffic, weather, or whatever. Now, if I were in Old Town and I had a choice between Las Tapas and La Tasca, I can't even imagine stopping to think about it for a moment.

I have to admit, the noise level in the Clarendon location of La Tasca was just out of control as well. I think I would have enjoyed my meal a lot more even if my dining companion and I had been seated on one of the upper, more quiet levels.

I'm thinking of doing a Restaurant Week lunch here with firends. Any recent reports?

They have now opened an outpost in Rockville Town Center.

We have been twice, and in a word, ordinary. (Hey the kid wanted to go again, just to make sure it wasn't just an off night the first time, it wasn't.)

One thing that we did have fun with was the sangria. We ordered the Sangria La Tasca (red wine, cinnimon and apples) and the kid said that all it needed was walnuts and it would be Charoset

Eww eww eww eww eww eww eww.

But the decor is gorgeous.

---

Okay, the potato thing was good (but come on, how can you go wrong with fried potatoes and mayo?) and the charcuterie satisfied, but when your signature dish is supposed to be paella, why would you serve it with Death Valley dry rice and overcooked seafood?????

McTapas anyone?

I was actually thinking Tapalbees.

I had my first meal here tonight, largely because it is the only place in my neighborhood besides Cheesecake Factory that I hadn't been to yet. The staff was great, the place looks nice, and everything was cooked properly. But to call this stuff tapas does a great disservice to the genre. I almost wish the place wasn't decorated at all but the food was good. But, if it were, then I'd guess it'd be called Ray's Los Filetes.

• Like 1

So I ended up here at the Alexandria location with some friends for HH because our one pregnant friend likes their non-alcoholic sangria.  I tried a couple sangrias, blackberry mango, sparkling and white and the only one I really liked was the white one with cinnamon.  We had a bunch of the tapas on their happy hour menu.  The croquettas, patatas bravas, and empanadas were my favorites.  We also had the plantain chips which I just didn't love the dip they came with, the cheese fritters which were fine, calamari, and other stuff I just can't remember.  Anyway nothing was awful, except the rumba music which started later in the evening.  

On 1/26/2015 at 2:52 PM, ktmoomau said:

So I ended up here at the Alexandria location with some friends for HH because our one pregnant friend likes their non-alcoholic sangria.  I tried a couple sangrias, blackberry mango, sparkling and white and the only one I really liked was the white one with cinnamon.  We had a bunch of the tapas on their happy hour menu.  The croquettas, patatas bravas, and empanadas were my favorites.  We also had the plantain chips which I just didn't love the dip they came with, the cheese fritters which were fine, calamari, and other stuff I just can't remember.  Anyway nothing was awful, except the rumba music which started later in the evening.  

It was a very good happy hour, if you consider the price/amount of food. I used to frequent Alexandria location quite often and make a cheap dinner out of happy hour menu. But they changed the HH menu completely. Now its a bit more refined (was surprised to see an anchovy on there), less fried, somewhat more authentic and definitely more expensive, not a steal any more. Which is good and bad at the same time.

Northern Spain influence is more apparent now - section of pintxos, which are $2.5 each, but literally one bite. A few kinds of crostinis (montaditos) with different toppings (hamon is good quality pork, worth the money). Carryover menu items are considerably smaller (empanadas are half size, more like fried dumplings).

Can't say anything about their full price menu - wouldn't choose to dine there if paying myself. Just remember regretting ordering the flan...

• Like 1

I've attended several enjoyable group work lunches at the Chinatown location. They have a party menu where for $28 per person they'll bring you unlimited huge platters of a set list of tapas. The amount of food is ridiculous, and at least when I went (admittedly it's been a couple of years now) they were happy to have us take leftovers home. I ate so much I wasn't hungry for dinner and also took home enough food for my husband to make a meal out of. Admittedly it's no Jaleo or Amada, but for us government schlubs who have limited group work lunch options (no one's treating us to Jaleo for lunch*), La Tasca serves a purpose. And the food is not awful and is maybe even fine.

*Granted one could get out of Jaleo at lunch for around $28 with no alcohol (which we're not having at government work lunches anyway), but La Tasca's flat price always seemed much simpler and the amount of food always seemed much more celebratory. But then I'm a glutton.

• Like 2

Stopped here on Friday evening, pre-Capitals game at VC.  Great Sangria, dates, Chorizo, calamari, ham/cheese croquettes,  chicken and beef empanadas just to name a few.  Staff could not have been more attentive or helpful.  Place was moderately busy and we were seated prior to our reservation, which was nice...even adding two to our party at the last minute (not planned).  Would definitely go back when not as pressed for time.  A little on the more expensive side for what we had, however they have a captive audience for all the events at VC and the area.  No complaints.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dcs said:

What was in this location before it closed?  Been here more than 30 years and have no recollection of this site. 

The space is part of the Market Common complex.  I don’t recall what occupied that address in the past but I presume it was built and leased to La Tasca when the project went up

13 hours ago, dcs said:

What was in this location before it closed?  Been here more than 30 years and have no recollection of this site. 

I don't remember what was in that block before Market Common either.  The location isn't in here but for a stroll down memory lane, scroll through this album (Constantine Hannaher's) of lost retail. Amazing old pictures of former spots like Strangeways and Bardo and blocks in Clarendon.

• Like 1

Was there two weeks ago as the CAPS made their end of the season run for the playoffs....enough said about that.

La Tasca has a Wizards & CAPS menus that include a selection of four (4) tapas dishes from numerous options, with a pitcher of sangria for $49.  It is silly reasonable and enough for a good meal before a game.  The menu is not listed online, but available if you request it when there.

12 hours ago, eatruneat said:

Closed

In the email, La Tasca ownership says that La Tasca Alexandria and La Tasca Rockville remain in business and they will "accommodate inter-company transfers to those locations." It continues, "Further, we can make recommendations and facilitate interviews and securing similar job positions." 

Yeah, right - check's in the mail.

12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

In the email, La Tasca ownership says that La Tasca Alexandria and La Tasca Rockville remain in business and they will "accommodate inter-company transfers to those locations." It continues, "Further, we can make recommendations and facilitate interviews and securing similar job positions." 

Yeah, right - check's in the mail.

I read elsewhere of the stunning impact of an immediate closing that shocked employees.  They knew nothing of it.  The offer to have jobs available in Alexandria or Rockville is probably valueless to most employees.  Commuting is entirely different.  These are not wealthy workers.   Meanwhile in a different thread I saw immediate offers from other establishments, one being Medium Rare (that is the second time I've seen Medium Rare do this vis a vis closed places). 

On an entirely different note Java Shack had its last day Sunday, November 24.  In several different ways they pre announced their closing.  Still potential patrons were surprised at the closing in the last week and on yesterday.

The owners of Java Shack were probably the exception rather than the rule with regard to informing employees of a closure.  One long term employee knew of the struggling (going nowheres) negotiations with the landlord as far back as last December.  This past June they announced the closing to all employees, basically 5 months in advance.  They provided employees with severance pay.  Consequently their employees stuck with them to the end.  Needless to say Java Shack was making money and not in a horrible situation.  They simply couldn't make a new deal with the landlord that was satisfactory to the ownership. 

And on another somewhat related note;  I saw an article about a very small Manhattan hardware/everything store closing.  I believe it had operated in the realm of 20 years.  The store is at 26th and 9th Ave, less than 1,000 feet, packed with merchandise stored to the ceiling.  The tenant was paying $120/foot.  The new rent demand was $200/ft.  

$120/ft--$200/ft.  Oh my my.  I used to lease retail space in the DC area ranging from the priciest areas to areas renting at steep discounts off the prime.  $120-200/ft.  Those numbers confound me.  I simply can't conceive of how business works with those fees.  On the other hand I never leased space with a density of potential customers that might be 15, 20, 30, or 40 floors above the store.  Completely different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

On an entirely different note Java Shack had its last day Sunday, November 24.  In several different ways they pre announced their closing.  Still potential patrons were surprised at the closing in the last week and on yesterday.

The owners of Java Shack were probably the exception rather than the rule with regard to informing employees of a closure.  One long term employee knew of the struggling (going nowheres) negotiations with the landlord as far back as last December.  This past June they announced the closing to all employees, basically 5 months in advance.  They provided employees with severance pay.  Consequently their employees stuck with them to the end.  Needless to say Java Shack was making money and not in a horrible situation.  They simply couldn't make a new deal with the landlord that was satisfactory to the ownership. 

I meant to go in for a goodbye to Java Shack but wasn't feeling well this weekend and didn't go out anywhere.  Sorry to have them leave, and I'm glad to hear that they gave their employees lots of notice as well as severance.  The employees there were always very nice to customers, the shop was a great part of the community for a very long time (I remember when they opened, and we went there a lot especially when our kiddo was little), and we'll miss Java.

I'm glad, though, that another independent coffee shop will be taking over the space after a while:  https://www.arlnow.com/2019/11/14/sweet-science-coffee-to-take-over-java-shack-space/