Favorite TV Cooking Shows

erikv

I am looking for some shows to record on my DVR that both educate a fairly novice cook and have slightly more "intelligence" (both in the recipes and in the hosts) than your average Rachel Ray junk.

Currently I am a fan of Ming Tsai's programs on PBS and Fine Living, and Great Chefs of the World on Discovery Home.

So, let me know what programs you find helpful/educational. Thanks!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I like --

Food network conference:

Gone but occasionally re-run division:

Molto Mario

Essence of Emeril (NOT Emeril Live)

Sara's Secrets

I like her, but she annoys some division:

Paula Deen (besides Emeril, she may be the last real chef left there)

And the "of course" division:

Good Eats

Discovery Home conference:

Kylie Kwong

I, too, like Great Chefs, but more for it's zen-like qualities than anything else.

(Both Rob Rainford and that Canadian guy give me the heeby jeebies)

PBS conference:

Pretty much anything. And they'll soon have Sara Moulton.

I'm not a big fan of America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Illustrated, but I think that both are great for beginner chefs.

I wish I had a nana like Lidia and an Uncle like Jacques.

Was transfixed this weekend during the WETA pledge drive by what must have been a 40 year old Julia show.

Even though I didn't care much for her attitude toward Julia Child, Madeleine Kamman's show on PBS was just terrific for teaching novices about French cooking. I don't know if her series are available or not, but they were produced by Maryland Public Television.

I get lots of ideas from the Barefoot Contessa, in addition to the already-named Great Chefs, Molto Mario, America's Test Kitchen, Jacques Pepin, and Julia Child. Alton Brown is great stuff--if you can stand his speech patterns, which I find breathtakingly frustrating to listen to. Oh, and I love Lidia Bastianich.

What I like --

Food network conference:

Gone but occasionally re-run division:

Molto Mario

Essence of Emeril (NOT Emeril Live)

Sara's Secrets

I like her, but she annoys some division:

Paula Deen (besides Emeril, she may be the last real chef left there)

And the "of course" division:

Good Eats

Discovery Home conference:

Kylie Kwong

I, too, like Great Chefs, but more for it's zen-like qualities than anything else.

(Both Rob Rainford and that Canadian guy give me the heeby jeebies)

PBS conference:

Pretty much anything. And they'll soon have Sara Moulton.

I'm not a big fan of America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Illustrated, but I think that both are great for beginner chefs.

I wish I had a nana like Lidia and an Uncle like Jacques.

Was transfixed this weekend during the WETA pledge drive by what must have been a 40 year old Julia show.

Molto Mario comes on every weekday around 11:30am or noon. I have that one programed to record, and has been helpful on more than one occaison for me.

I wish they would bring back all of the Great Chef episodes.  There were some great episodes that included a number of American chefs before people cared much about American chefs.

I may be imagining things, but somehow I remember Paul Prud'homme doing blackened redfish on one episode.

"Cook Like A Chef" out of Canada is pretty good. They do some neat stuff you don't usually see on the Food Network. They're not always too worried about the viewer being able to even consider replicating what they're doing. I like that. They do full episodes on fois gras, game birds, and offal. Enough said! <_<

"Chef at Home", also from Canada, is reasonable too, despite Chef Smith's near-complete dorkitude and need to cut back on the puns. Good for ideas of how to use stuff you probably already have sitting around.

"New Classics with Chef Rob Feenie" is a watchable version of "Barefoot Contessa" "Go do something and invite them back for a dinner themed off of whatever it was" (And if I'm wrong well...I don't watch much Barefoot Contessa.), but with interesting food. Also from Canada.

"Thirsty Traveller", ALSO from Canada (what...Food Network Canada is generally better than Food Network USA) is good for learning about various kinds of booze and watching the floor reporter from Iron Chef America getting trashed around the world.

That said, I'm not sure if or when Food Network Canada stuff is shown here. I'm really trying here, honest. I dunno..tape* Iron Chef off of Food Network, I guess.

"Good Eats" too, of course. Second Jacques Pepin's PBS shows and "America's Test Kitchen".

* Yes, it's still called 'taping'.

I wish we could get reruns of The Frugal Gourmet. While Jeff Smith is no longer with us, his show was groundbreaking at the time and really expanded my cooking.

I don't necessarily need to see the shows again, but I will agree that Jeff Smith played a major role in my home cooking technique and repertoire, too. I wonder whatever happened to "sidekick" Craig?

Was that Julia show the lobster episode???  I loved watching that. I kept thinking throughout the show "Oh, there is NO WAY she's going to cook that HUGE lobster" Sure enough, she boiled that baby and put it on a plate.

Priceless.

It sure was <_< I have it waiting for an hour when I can sit without being interupted.

I wish they would bring back all of the Great Chef episodes.  There were some great episodes that included a number of American chefs before people cared much about American chefs.

I spent a semester sick in bed during undergrad. It was back in the day when Great Chef was on at least four times a day. Those episodes got me through some very long days.

"Cook Like A Chef" out of Canada is pretty good. 

"Chef at Home", also from Canada, is reasonable too,

"New Classics with Chef Rob Feenie"... Also from Canada. 

"Thirsty Traveller", ALSO from Canada (what...Food Network Canada is generally better than Food Network USA)

That said, I'm not sure if or when Food Network Canada stuff is shown here. 

Where the hell are you watching Food Network Canada?
I wish we could get reruns of The Frugal Gourmet. While Jeff Smith is no longer with us, his show was groundbreaking at the time and really expanded my cooking.

Hot pot, Cold oil, food won't stick. Enough said.

You have got a long wait, my friend. I can't imagine any station (PBS or cable) willing to run his shows. IMHO, as long as Jacques Pepin is alive and willing to show us all how to cook, I see no need for Mr. (or was that Rev.?) Smith, who had NO formal training in cooking.

You have got a long wait, my friend.  I can't imagine any station (PBS or cable) willing to run his shows.  IMHO, as long as Jacques Pepin is alive and willing to show us all how to cook, I see no need for Mr.  (or was that Rev.?) Smith, who had NO formal training in cooking.

I think his lack of formal training in cooking was something that made him quite appealing, actually. If a schmuck like him could turn out quality food, so could I. It's not because of training nor Pepin's presence that you won't see reruns. Stations won't touch him (maybe not the best choice of words) because of the abuse cases.

I think his lack of formal training in cooking was something that made him quite appealing, actually.  If a schmuck like him could turn out quality food, so could I.  It's not because of training nor Pepin's presence that you won't see reruns.  Stations won't touch him (maybe not the best choice of words) because of the abuse cases.

Jeff Smith and his passion for food was what turned me on to cooking! I watched him religiously. I bought most of his cookbooks but the only one I have really kept and used to death is his Italian series. Poor Craig his career on TV came to a halt with Mr. Smith's problems.

I also love Paula Deen. Her food is seriuos home cooking, unfortunately it is also a heart attack waiting to happen.

I think his lack of formal training in cooking was something that made him quite appealing, actually.  If a schmuck like him could turn out quality food, so could I.  It's not because of training nor Pepin's presence that you won't see reruns.  Stations won't touch him (maybe not the best choice of words) because of the abuse cases.

I could do a cooking show myself, IF I had a professional cook like Craig Woolam (sp?) backing me up. Also recall that Smith had been reviled before his troubles were revealed. The term "Dilettante" was used in reference to him. Don't forget that he didn't like dessert, so he almost never made any. HAH! I have learned FAR more about cooking from Julia, Madeleine, Jacques, Lidia, etc. (I don't have cable, so am trusting Public Television for all this). Even "America's Test Kitchen" has provided more useful information. Smith's schtick was pure PR. Oh, and he was a properly ordained minister--a factoid he never let us forget.

I'm sorry. We had a couple of his cookbooks, which I sold at a yardsale just to get them out of my home. Never missed 'em, either.

I don't know if I hate that guy because he's a dork, or because I'm jealous as all hell that I'm not doing what he does.  Unfortunately, I think I know the answer.  <_<

Thirsty Traveller (and many other Canadian cooking/drinking/home shows) is shown on Fine Living Network on Comcast. Good channel.

<_<Giada... ;) I don't care what you say about her big head.

Pepin is the man. I have 6 videotapes of him teaching technique. It really improved my knife skills. I find it mesmerizing to watch him mince garlic or trim an artichoke. His English has improved a great deal since those shows were made.

Julia's "Cooking with Master Chefs" is available as a cookbook. There are a lot of great recipes in there.

I think they are on channel 32 (PBS Maryland) at 8:30am. Check your local listings.

Bravo's Top Chefs

It's like every chef and bartender I've ever worked with thrown together on Survivor!!! I love it, but then I feel dirty for watching it! hehehe! Cat and Rooster fight, and they all have knives!!! Duck, baby, duck! <_<

Edited because I'm an idiot and can't spell and Rocks moved the topic, luv ya man!

It'd like every chef and bartender I've ever worked with thrown together on Survivor!!!  I love it, but then I feel dirty for liking it!  hehehe!  Cat and Rooster fight, and they all have knives!!!  Duck, baby, duck! <_<

It has kept me watching for a 2nd week, but I find every "chef" almost unbearable. Incorporating "sexy" food in tonight's episode just screams of a desperate attempt for ratings. This will likely be my last time watching. The producers of the show should have just kept with Project Runway....which was a major guilty pleasure of mine...yes, im embarassed to admit that.

"Top Chefs" appears to be a less classy copy of PBS's "Cooking Under Fire" that had Ming Tsai, Todd English and Michael Ruhlman as judges. In fact, the contestants seem to have been picked using the same formula: an uber-competitive female chef, a wine expert, a healthly-food chef, an obnoxious European chef, and so on. It aired last summer and I don't think it has been shown since, but it is worth keeping an eye out for it if you enjoy such shows.

Incorporating "sexy" food in tonight's episode just screams of a desperate attempt for ratings.
But it was fun to see the inside of "Mr. S" again... <_<

Two collections (18 episodes each) of The French Chef with Julia Child are available on DVD. They're all from the color series. I wish they'd put out all of the French Chef programs, and also the Julia & Company and & More Company, on DVD. Hell, I'd even buy Dinner at Julia's. She was my hero.

A non-cooking food show that was a favorite was "A Cooks Tour" with Tony Bourdain.

As for cooking food shows I like, I've gotten useful stuff off of : Molto Mario, Every Day Italian (even though Giada smiles way too much), Entertaining with Michael Chiarello, and a few others like Jamie Oliver's show and some of Bobby Flay's stuff.

I hate Rachel Ray and Sara Moulton (for some reason she reminds me of a horse).

Has anyone yet seen Made to Order on Fine Living network? I've watched two or three episodes and for some reason this show is the train wreck I can't stop watching. I hate the people, I hate the restaurant, I hate the customers (apparently you've got to be dressed in all black if you're going to dine at this Toronto joint), I hate the cheesy dialogue where they pretend it's "happenin'" but it's so clearly rehearsed a thousand times.

I don't know why I watch it. Does anyone else here suffer from this problem?

Bravo's Top Chefs
While I love the show's concept of creating a competition, ala Project Runway, among a group of unknown 'chefs' (term used loosely), I truly could have lived without the 'sexy dessert' episode. And so far, with the exception of perhaps 2 or 3 of them, these people just cannot cook!

I caught it once last week - the episode where the 'cool dude on a motorcycle'/regular wanted them to feed his poor wife (disguised) offal so she would be more adventurous on their European vacation. 

Did you notice that that guy is the creator/exec. producer of the show? And his poor wife is also in the credits? Our special this evening is an opportunity to watch the uber-hip, pseudo-biker wrestle his ego-mania while his wife thinks of 1,000 synonyms for "icky."

And the creepy chef didn't have the balls to disguise the calves brains and try to feed them to her. Then again, the woman probably knew well in advance what she'd be getting on her plate.

Two collections (18 episodes each) of The French Chef with Julia Child are available on DVD. They're all from the color series. I wish they'd put out all of the French Chef programs, and also the Julia & Company and & More Company, on DVD. Hell, I'd even buy Dinner at Julia's. She was my hero.

Netflix folks can rent these. It is amazing to watch her learn to do the tv thing right before your eyes. The first few episodes are just bad (in terms of production value). I particularly like when she tries to flip things and loses half of the stuff. Just wipes it away and keeps going.

Know what bugs me? Inaccurate food shows.

So I'm watching this show, right this second, 'Food Jammers', and I'm not entirely sure what the premise is yet, but it's these three guys camping and they decide they want ice cream to go with some pie they brought in. So they decide to make ice cream with whatever they can find. Fine, good...have some cans, some ice, they go visit an organic (AND biodynamic no less!) farm for eggs, and buy milk and cream somewhere. After that they go forrage for flavorings (To go with the maple syrup they had around anyway) and find a raspberry (one), some may apple, and wild ginger. WILD ginger? HELLO? Issue number 214! Ginger has been cultivated so long that it no longer exists as a wild crop! Some other food show AND universally accurate source of the worlds knowledge, Wikipedia, agree! Nobody is fooled here, basically otherwise cool-seeming Mythbuster-esque camping dudes.

Ouchie...they broke their can rig by kicking it around too vigorously. So they go home and destroy a fridge to turn into an ice cream maker with a manual churn. Then they hook the churn up to the dog. THEN they decide to hook it to a motor.

Overall, I give it a B- for technical inaccuracies. Waiting for new episodes to see where they're going with all this.

"Rest assured, I was on the Internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world" --Comic Book Guy

Two collections (18 episodes each) of The French Chef with Julia Child are available on DVD. They're all from the color series.

Correction: I wrote the above after I had ordered the two collections, but before they had arrived. Both collections were listed as being in color, and I assumed that that applied to all of the episodes in each. It didn't. Both collections are a mix of b&w and color shows.

I caught a show on Discovery Home today called Chef at Home. It's the only episode I've ever seen, but it seems to have potential. The concept is using your imagination to create meals at home based upon what you have on hand and what goes well together, rather than just pulling out a recipe. The host was rather low-key and pleasant.

I caught a show on Discovery Home today called Chef at Home. It's the only episode I've ever seen, but it seems to have potential. The concept is using your imagination to create meals at home based upon what you have on hand and what goes well together, rather than just pulling out a recipe. The host was rather low-key and pleasant.

That chef weirds me out. He's just a little too... something. I don't think he blinks.

Plus, I always felt that, although it was supposed to be "spontaneous", everything was a little too well planned. In the "I thought fondue would be great for movie night and I just happened to have two pounds each of emmentaler and gruyere in my fridge" way.

Everything of Paula Deen's that I've tried myself has turned out fantastic. Friends ask me all the time to make them my (really her) banana pudding.

The opposite happens with Alton Brown's show. Although I enjoy watching it and find it very interesting, nothing I've tried of his has turned out as well as it should without me making adjustments. (shrug)

I've always like Ina Garten. She always seems nervous as people try her food on her show. She's sort of a heavier Martha Stewart with low self esteem. Love it.

Tivo has been catching various Tony Bourdain shows in the middle of the night. They're always fun.

The Great Chefs series is a classic and, beyond food, it taught me to love the voice of Mary Lou Conroy and the music of Charlie Byrd. I also spent many afternoons in college watching on the Discover Channel instead of doing real work.

That chef weirds me out. He's just a little too... something. I don't think he blinks.

Plus, I always felt that, although it was supposed to be "spontaneous", everything was a little too well planned. In the "I thought fondue would be great for movie night and I just happened to have two pounds each of emmentaler and gruyere in my fridge" way.

I don't believe for one minute that he doesn't have the meal planned. I just appreciate that someone has put together a show designed to help novices attempt technique- rather than recipe-driven cooking. (I've only seen one episode. Is that true about the fondue?)

Opening Soon- Fine Living

Turn Up the Heat with G. Garvin- give this guy a show on the food network... it needs some color

Made to Order- Fine Living

Follow that Food- Fine Living

No Reservations-Travel Tv

Ham on the Street

I use to love the food network, but I am growing tired of the same faces on everyshow.