The Dandelion Pub, A Steven Starr Gastropub in Rittenhouse Square - Chef Joe Monnich Replaces Robert Aikens

Decided to give The Dandelion Pub's brunch a try largely based on location and the inability to get a reservation at Starr sister restaurant Parc.  Dandelion is housed in what seems to be an old Philadelphia home and was delightfully cozy on a chilly fall morning with a fire burning in the fireplace. It was actually a little difficult to identify the restaurant from the street because there wasn't a prominent sign.  I was glad I'd kept the street address in my phone.  Two of us went with traditional breakfast fare enjoying the 2 inch high, fluffy Brioche french toast and Eggs Benedict.  I was pleasantly surprised to receive two poached eggs over perfect English muffins, rather than just one that it seems many restaurants think constitute a full entree.  The other half the group went with more traditional pub menu  of fish and chips and Shepherd's pie.  Both were given high marks and really hit the spot on a morning that felt like fall had definitely arrived.  The bloody mary's were just as spicy as requested and the service unrushed.  The house has several small dining areas and fusty English vibe.  The bar area has a couple of spectacular mounted boar's heads if you're into that sort of thing.  A good solid choice of standard brunch food....but nicely matched with pub classics.  

• Like 1

Had an enjoyable meal here. I chose the location primarily because I was able to get a reservation for ten people (expanded to 16 later) on quite short notice. But it works well for a larger group. Everything is good, there's something on the menu for everyone, and the service is good. 

Had a really nice meal at The Dandelion Saturday night 2/4. We had a 5:45 reservation, and were glad we planned ahead as it was packed when we walked in. We were led upstairs to a table in what I'll refer to as "the dog room" because there are pictures and knickknacks of canines everywhere. It was dim and cozy, and despite being full we could hear each other fine at normal voice levels. We each started with a cocktail, my wife having a Bright & Windy  (Bluecoat Gin, Aperol, egg white, lime, honey and grapefruit), while I had the Iron Lady (Old Overholt rye, Thatchers Apple Ginger, Bitters and Luxardo cherry). Both were very refreshing, but neither let the booze shine.

We then shared a half dozen oysters (believe they were from Connecticut), which were  briny and plump. Also split the chicken and duck liver parfait, which I would describe as almost airy and light, like a whipped cream cheese. It was our favorite item of the night. It was served with thick slices of buttered toast that we tore off as needed.

For our mains, I had the PEI mussels in a standard but flavorful red pepper, tomato and wine sauce. It was a significant portion of good-size mussels, which paired nicely with a bottle of Weyerbacher Merry Monks. She had the branzino with marinated beets and grapefruit, over a cool herbed farro salad. In the bite that I had I thought it would have worked better if the farro was warmed, but the fish was cooked just right and stood well on its own.

We didn't have time for dessert, as we were off to see Villanova dismantle St. Johns at the WFC. Overall, I'd echo the sentiment above, that while nothing blew me away, we enjoyed everything we had. I'd definitely be back for a beer and more of the liver parfait.

• Like 1

No problem walking in at 11:30am on Saturday after exploring the Rittenhouse Square Farmers' Market (which is as much a craft fair as it is a place to buy produce).  Warm space.  Despite the fact that the host stand is located in the middle of the second floor, they were able to greet promptly all guests arriving through two separate entrances.  It did not look like it would work as well as it did.  It fashions itself as a British pub so you could say it does not aspire to culinary grandeur by design.  I did quite enjoy the warm roast beef sandwich with horseradish mayonnaise and a splash of gravy on toasted sourdough.  The roast beef was exceedingly tender.  Served with a side watercress salad on a rectangular wooden plate.