"Spinning Plates"� - A Documentary Film About Three Restaurants and Their Unique Stories

lion

http://www.spinningplatesmovie.com

Opens November 8th, E Street Cinema

From the website:

Spinning Plates is a documentary about three extraordinary restaurants and the incredible people who bring them to life. A world-renowned chef competes for the ultimate restaurant prize in Chicago, while privately battling a life-threatening condition. A 150-year-old restaurant in Iowa is still standing only because of an unbreakable bond with the community. And a fledgling Mexican restaurant in Tucson struggles as its owners risk everything to survive and provide for their young daughter. Their unforgettable stories of family, legacy, passion and survival come together to reveal how meaningful food can be, and the power it has to connect us to one another.

I'll be going to the showing here in DC.  I stumbled across the movie as I was researching Alinea prior eating there for my 1 year anniversary (I've been procrastinating on the write up even though it was an unbelievable experience).  Having read Chef Achatz's book around his struggle with tongue cancer, I expect it to be a pretty riveting film even though I was unfamiliar with the other restaurants.

As an aside - I love the clip in the trailer where the older gentlemen talks about hopping off the tractor b/c he smelled the fried chicken.

From the movie website, it looks like Nov. 8 is the only day to catch the movie at E Street Cinema.

I called E Street Cinema and they said Spinning Plates would be playing at least a week. It was going to be hard for us to make it on Saturday. If it does well E Street said they will keep it longer.

I called E Street Cinema and they said Spinning Plates would be playing at least a week. It was going to be hard for us to make it on Saturday. If it does well E Street said they will keep it longer. 

Thanks for checking.  I'm glad it's playing for at least a week.  The show times are now available, and it would be hard for me to make it if it were only one night.

I went and saw this with my wife last night - if you have any interest in restaurants and what they mean to different folks (be if families, communities, or individuals) its really worth seeing.  There were a few moments (maybe I'm getting softer as I continue to age) where the theater got a bit dusty on me  :ph34r:.  I thought while the 3 restaurants profiled each had a compelling story unto themselves, the director did a good job pulling them together at the end.

I will say, this was probably more impactful for me as I took my wife to Alinea for our anniversary (I'm truant in the writeup) and this was the back half of the gift as I'd stumbled across this film as I was researching Alinea and how to get tickets a few months back.

I went and saw this with my wife last night - if you have any interest in restaurants and what they mean to different folks (be if families, communities, or individuals) its really worth seeing.  There were a few moments (maybe I'm getting softer as I continue to age) where the theater got a bit dusty on me  :ph34r:.  I thought while the 3 restaurants profiled each had a compelling story unto themselves, the director did a good job pulling them together at the end.

I will say, this was probably more impactful for me as I took my wife to Alinea for our anniversary (I'm truant in the writeup) and this was the back half of the gift as I'd stumbled across this film as I was researching Alinea and how to get tickets a few months back.

"Truant" is a great and underused word. Maybe I should call the Truant Officer on you for not writing about Alinea. :lol:

Thoroughly enjoyable film.  My +1 and I had a predictable conversation comparing this to SOMM since we saw both in the same month.  While I really enjoyed SOMM and it gave me big new appreciation for what it takes to be a great sommelier, I enjoyed this even a bit more because it so transcends food and restaurants. This is more serious than SOMM. Maybe a bit more substantive as a result but that's in no way a knock against SOMM, which is good fun as well as instructive.

Connective tissue. That's the metaphor best for me in characterizing Spinning Plates. It's all about restaurants as connective forces, connecting people with each other and with their aspirations and dreams.  The stories do an excellent job of portraying restaurants as what they so often are beyond merely places to eat:

- community gathering places

- reasons and motivators to overcome huge life challenges

- economic foundations that make lives possible...or extremely challenging

- compelling stories in the hands of talented storytellers as these film makers are

- second homes

- family hearths

- important symbols

I won't give anything away by saying that, aside from Alinea, the other two stories take place in an established restaurant and a struggling restaurant in Iowa and Tucson respectively.  The Iowa story is reminiscent of the movie Witness.  And, the Tucson story portrays personal struggle as so many great films have.

Spinning Plates is a great doc for couples where one is into food and the other not so much since it's really much more about life, relationships, struggle and aspirations than it is about food per se.

And, even ran into Lion (the OP) in the elevator afterward! Good to see you again, sir.  Last time was at the Peter Chang event in Richmond last year (earlier this year?). Hope you and your +1 enjoyed the film!

My wife and I felt it was a quite lovely documentary about the lives of the people in the restaurant. As Rovers200 and Darkstar965 implied, the film packed quite a few wallops in regards to the the families struggles and how the communities that support the restaurants interact with them. Well worth viewing and the title is appropriate in hindsight.

It was good to see you Darkstar965 and your +1 in the elevator afterwards as well.

Great documentary.  Restaurants are a big part of my life and mean more to me than just a meal (speaking from the perspective of a customer), and I related to the messages of the movie.  I was very close to being weepy by the end.  I agree with Rovers2000 that the director also did a good job of tying the movie together at the end. 

The references to Charlie Trotter had an additional tint given his recent passing.