Corner Stable, BBQ Joint Serving Danish Ribs since 1972 - York Road in Cockeysville

It's clear on the other side of town (and then some) and I have no idea how many of the plasmas hanging over the bar will be tuned to March Madness, but when I'm in Baltimore, I often end up pigging out on the baby back ribs at the Corner Stable in Cockeysville.

They're extraordinary...possibly the best baby backs I've had anywhere, although I have yet to explore Nashville. The "Texas sauce" is quite good, but the meat is the real attraction as they exclusively use ribs imported from Denmark, where the pigs are slaughtered at a more tender age.

It's clear on the other side of town (and then some) and I have no idea how many of the plasmas hanging over the bar will be tuned to March Madness, but when I'm in Baltimore, I often end up pigging out on the baby back ribs at the Corner Stable in Cockeysville.

I always liked the food there, but had a bad experience there about 5 years ago and swore never to go back.

We went in with a party of 5 on a Saturday about 6pm, and were told the wait was about 15 minutes. No problem. We had my then 3-year old with us, so we took seats in the front and waited. After about 20 minutes, they apologized, and said no more than 5 more minutes. 20 minutes later, they said we swear, it's almost up. 20 minutes after that, they said "should only be about 30 more minutes". At that point the 3 year old was fussing up a storm, and my diabetic wife was having a blood sugar low. We told the hostess that we had to go, and she was unbelievably rude about it.

We ran across the street, grabbed some fast food, and came back to find that the manager had our car towed, because we were parked in his lot and didn't eat in his restaurant. I explained what had happened, he expressed no sympathy, and basically said "tough shit dude, you shouldn't have left." So I'm now stranded at the restaurant, 15 minutes from the hotel we're staying at, with a 3 year old, no ride, and no carseat. I had to beg the hotel to send their shuttle to come get me, and then had to stay an extra night because the tow lot wasn't open on Sundays. So their inability to give me a table in less than an hour and a half, after saying 15 minutes, cost me an extra $250.

I don't care how good the BBQ is, I will never enter their doorway again. 5 years later I'm still angry enough that whenever their name comes up, I feel the need to tell this story.

• Like 2

I have a friend who swears by this place (he also thinks that G&M are the pinnacle of crab cakes, so take it for what it is worth). I was less than impressed by the food. I did not find their ribs to be particularly good, and for the amount of time that it takes me to schlep to and from Cockysville, I could smoke better ribs. This opinion is based on one visit, but the flaccid tasting residual fat in the meat made me think that they use some sort of wet cooking method on the ribs (braising, boiling, or steaming) was very unappealing, and I do not like my ribs swimming in sauce. It always makes me suspect that they are hiding something behind the goop.

As for the best city for ribs, forget Memphis. Instead head to Kansas City.

This opinion is based on one visit, but the flaccid tasting residual fat in the meat made me think that they use some sort of wet cooking method on the ribs (braising, boiling, or steaming) was very unappealing, and I do not like my ribs swimming in sauce. It always makes me suspect that they are hiding something behind the goop.

As for the best city for ribs, forget Memphis. Instead head to Kansas City.

I'd normally agree with you, but my preference for purely dry-smoked ribs (and the consequent concentration of flavor) is reserved for larger, meatier ribs. In this particular size, I like what CS does a lot, and these don't seem to suffer from the severe loss of flavor that parboiling (ugh) usually causes. Still, if you don't like 'em sauced wet, you probably won't enjoy these.

Daniel's story is disheartening. I don't think I'd go back either, if it had happened to me.

I'll be in KC for about a week this October, followed by a long weekend around Fort Worth (where I hope to find some beef ribs). Recommendations?

[Editor's note: I've moved a couple of replies into the "Kansas City" thread here.]

I also grew up in Timonium. We started to go to the corner stable after they first open in 78. For Baltimore, the ribs were fantatstic! I would have to return there to see if I still agree, now that my tastes have been expanded. We always wondered where the meat came from being next to the race trak <_<

I have a friend who swears by this place (he also thinks that G&M are the pinnacle of crab cakes, so take it for what it is worth). I was less than impressed by the food. I did not find their ribs to be particularly good, and for the amount of time that it takes me to schlep to and from Cockysville, I could smoke better ribs. This opinion is based on one visit, but the flaccid tasting residual fat in the meat made me think that they use some sort of wet cooking method on the ribs (braising, boiling, or steaming) was very unappealing, and I do not like my ribs swimming in sauce. It always makes me suspect that they are hiding something behind the goop.

About a month ago, the aforementioned friend brought me a couple of the ribs that he had left over from his latest dinner at the Corner Stable. Based on those ribs, I may need to rethink my position on this place. The examples that he brought me did not have the boiled flavor that me previous visit. However, I still stand by my dislike for G&M crabcakes.

One of the best things about this place is the fact that they serve fries with their ribs. While I do prefer a true smoking/grilling of ribs these days, I find their par-boiling method OK for their sauce and rub used afterwards. Andy Nelson's it ain't, but I like their ribs here for other reasons. And the fries help!

I was here not too terribly long ago, and this place is still consistent. It's tiny, and parking sucks, but the sauce they use is tangy and slightly sweet, but it makes a good pairing with their french fries.

Have to say that their ribs are still the same since I was a kid in the 80's.. Got to love the keno tv's also..

We went again maybe 7 or 8 months ago (after a funeral, unfortunately). It was still what you expect. Good but not great food, but consistent. I actually think I go here more for the fries and beer than anything else. But the ribs are fine and you're really just going here for basic comfort food.

• Like 1

I always liked the food there, but had a bad experience there about 5 years ago and swore never to go back.

We went in with a party of 5 on a Saturday about 6pm, and were told the wait was about 15 minutes. No problem. We had my then 3-year old with us, so we took seats in the front and waited. After about 20 minutes, they apologized, and said no more than 5 more minutes. 20 minutes later, they said we swear, it's almost up. 20 minutes after that, they said "should only be about 30 more minutes". At that point the 3 year old was fussing up a storm, and my diabetic wife was having a blood sugar low. We told the hostess that we had to go, and she was unbelievably rude about it.

We ran across the street, grabbed some fast food, and came back to find that the manager had our car towed, because we were parked in his lot and didn't eat in his restaurant. I explained what had happened, he expressed no sympathy, and basically said "tough shit dude, you shouldn't have left." So I'm now stranded at the restaurant, 15 minutes from the hotel we're staying at, with a 3 year old, no ride, and no carseat. I had to beg the hotel to send their shuttle to come get me, and then had to stay an extra night because the tow lot wasn't open on Sundays. So their inability to give me a table in less than an hour and a half, after saying 15 minutes, cost me an extra $250.

I don't care how good the BBQ is, I will never enter their doorway again. 5 years later I'm still angry enough that whenever their name comes up, I feel the need to tell this story.

Wow.  so I was just reading this in 2015, and while it was added here in 2006, it dates back to circa 2001.  Had I experienced that I would never have set foot in that restaurant again.

And I would have blasted that experience all over web review sites in 2001--> except there weren't any or at least any of consequence that I recall. (come to think of it I was scarcely familiar with the web in 2001).

Therein lies the power of review sites and the element that often serves to negate that type of behavior by a restaurateur or serves to be the impetus that apologizes or makes an effort to make up for that horrific service and series of responses.  That is one of the positive elements to review sites.  Of course there are an infinite number of negative impacts to review sites that we have seen.   None of which touch on the ability to simply educate the public.

From perspective an interesting story made at an interesting time, long before review sites became so prominent.    

Wow, this is about the single most blatant "bad experience" I've ever read about. Unless the restaurant is under different ownership, I would *still* be vocal about this; in fact, I would have taken them to court for my towing expenses (which would have been an incredible PITA since they're in Cockeysville, but I would have done it anyway). If they're owned by the same people, they owe you money for the towing and a written apology, even now; if they're under new ownership, they're completely innocent of any wrongdoing (assuming the new owners aren't family, friends, etc.). I would not have let them off as easy as you did.

Obviously at this point it was 14 years ago, so any legal recourse is out, but I haven't forgiven them, nor have I been back.

Whenever someone brings up Corner Stable, I tell my story, so in my own way I am continuing the "punishment".

• Like 1

Obviously at this point it was 14 years ago, so any legal recourse is out, but I haven't forgiven them, nor have I been back.

Whenever someone brings up Corner Stable, I tell my story, so in my own way I am continuing the "punishment".

I just read this today and I am pissed off as well.  Not that I ever would try this place.  I certainly will not now.