Wharf Rat, The Oliver Family's English-Style Brewpub in Fells Point

The original Wharf Rat in Fells Point is far preferable to the place on Pratt.

In Fells, the wood, low ceilings and locals fit the bill for a well-worn old school harbor bar as opposed to the touristy new-schoolness of the Pratt St. location.

It's not within spitting distance of the ballpark, however, but a short drive to Fells Point is a much better option than any of the more expensive and freshly scrubbed concepts around the ballpark.

The original Wharf Rat in Fells Point is far preferable to the place on Pratt.

In Fells, the wood, low ceilings and locals fit the bill for a well-worn old school harbor bar as opposed to the touristy new-schoolness of the Pratt St. location.

It's not within spitting distance of the ballpark, however, but a short drive to Fells Point is a much better option than any of the more expensive and freshly scrubbed concepts around the ballpark.

I wouldn't say the Pratt St. Wharf Rat is as "freshly scrubbed" or "new school"as all that -heh - seems pretty dark wood and smoky - with crud on the tables and the occasional shifty character floating by. ph34r.gif After a game it's much easier to go there than to sober up, get to your car, fight post-game traffic driving to Fells Point, look for parking, etc. just so the person sitting next to you will be a "local" instead of a tourist. I agree with jparrott that the Bitter is quite good - not too cold, not too warm.

I admit a strong bias toward Fells Point because I lived there for 3 years.

Inner Harbor tends to be shunned when you're a local 'cause it's where all the tourists hang out.

Baltimore's so full of the old-school divey places, it makes no sense to go to the newer ones. Unless, as you say, you're from out of town and don't feel like fighting the parking situation.

Baltimore's so full of the old-school divey places, it makes no sense to go to the newer ones.  Unless, as you say, you're from out of town and don't feel like fighting the parking situation.

If you're already parked though, the water taxi from Inner Harbor to Fells Point (and back) is both scenic and buys you a certain amount of time to recover from your pub crawl.

Baltimore's so full of the old-school divey places, it makes no sense to go to the newer ones.  Unless, as you say, you're from out of town and don't feel like fighting the parking situation.

If you're lumping WR in the "newer ones," I can only respond by saying that Oliver Best Bitter is a wonderful, wonderful beer.

I think it is true that locals (myself included) prefer the Fells Point location.  It is a great place for afternoon drinking with your canine companion.  But, the downtown location isn't a bad choice for a pre or post game beer.

Does the FP location still have live music on Sunday afternoons?

I wrote, and heard back from, Jen Oliver, and she verified the following information:

* The Original Fells Point Wharf Rat opened in 1987.

* Following the sale of Wharf Rat Camden Yards and Oliver Breweries in 2008, the Oliver family no longer has any involvement in either Pratt Street Ale House or Oliver Breweries.

* The Wharf Rat does not have live music (not licensed), and as per Health Department code, can not admit animals.

---

Therefore, one can conclude that the following information has nothing to do with the Oliver family:

* When the Camden Yards location of Wharf Rat closed in Jan, 2009, it reopened two months later as Pratt Street Ale House

02/16/14 - "Oliver Breweries Expands Beyond Md. Ale House" by Adam Bednar on baltimore.cbslocal.com

04/24/15 - "Oliver Brewing Company To Open New Brewery in Clifton Park" by Jess Mayhugh on baltimoremagazine.net

07/03/15 - "Oliver Brewing Company Opens New Claremont-Freedom Facility" by Jenn Ladd on citypaper.com

12/30/15 - "Craft Beer Guide to Baltimore, Maryland" by Travis Mitchell on pastemagazine.com

Since neither Pratt Street Ale house nor Oliver Brewing Company has anything to do with Wharf Rat, I'll be splitting off the Camden Yards posts, as well as the above links in my own post, into a separate, Pratt Street thread.