Please Attach Copies of Opening Menus for New Restaurants

Reading this thread from the past was interesting to see how prices went up. 

I ask our members to post copies of opening menus (which can often be downloaded in .pdf format, screen-shotted, or simply snapped with an iPhone) - this, for historical purposes. It can be a fascinating thing to watch the menus change, both in terms of price and format (imagine an opening menu from Komi - you would not recognize the restaurant, and it would be a valuable piece of history that is forever lost unless Johnny has one thrown into his desk drawer somewhere). I would *love* to have an opening menu from every single restaurant in the DC area - can you imagine how valuable that would be twenty years from now? Not "valuable" in terms of money; just in terms of history.

Note that merely linking to the menu on the website is not enough - websites change constantly.

The menus are obviously the restaurant's property, so I also ask our members not to do this without the restaurants' permission.

• Like 2

I ask our members to post copies of opening menus (which can often be downloaded in .pdf format, screen-shotted, or simply snapped with an iPhone) - this, for historical purposes. It can be a fascinating thing to watch the menus change, both in terms of price and format (imagine an opening menu from Komi - you would not recognize the restaurant, and it would be a valuable piece of history that is forever lost unless Johnny has one thrown into his desk drawer somewhere). I would *love* to have an opening menu from every single restaurant in the DC area - can you imagine how valuable that would be twenty years from now? Not "valuable" in terms of money; just in terms of history.

Note that merely linking to the menu on the website is not enough - websites change constantly.

The menus are obviously the restaurant's property, so I also ask our members not to do this without the restaurants' permission.

Please don't forget this!

Oops.  I just posted a copy of the Ashby Inn menu from a couple weeks ago.  Didn't realize you were looking for opening menus only.

Before I realized you were only looking for opening menus I had a thought that might be cool, (or die on the vine)...............what if you had a "Menus" subforum?  Instead of reviews, it would just contain menus for each restaurant listed.  So if you wanted to look at the menu from say Marcel's from 5 years ago you could.  Or 10 years ago.  Or 1 year ago.  The posts should/could/would be organized by the date of the menu, not date of the posting so at the very beginning of the thread would be the oldest menu and at the end of the thread would be the current menu.  Of course this would mean someone would have to manually sort the new postings but it would make the fourm a better research tool.

Oops.  I just posted a copy of the Ashby Inn menu from a couple weeks ago.  Didn't realize you were looking for opening menus only.

Before I realized you were only looking for opening menus I had a thought that might be cool, (or die on the vine)...............what if you had a "Menus" subforum?  Instead of reviews, it would just contain menus for each restaurant listed.  So if you wanted to look at the menu from say Marcel's from 5 years ago you could.  Or 10 years ago.  Or 1 year ago.  The posts should/could/would be organized by the date of the menu, not date of the posting so at the very beginning of the thread would be the oldest menu and at the end of the thread would be the current menu.  Of course this would mean someone would have to manually sort the new postings but it would make the fourm a better research tool.

No, it's fine! Snapshots in time.

The thing is, I don't think there will be enough participation to feed a Menus subforum (much as I'd like to believe otherwise) - it would have 5 threads in it. But if we get enough menus posted, I'll make one, with a date for each menu (that's the problem with online menus - they aren't dated).

I'm bumping this to remind people of how important this is, so if you get a chance and it's not too much trouble, please include menus for a specific time period (the restaurant doesn't have to be new, but it *is* nice to have copies of menus from new restaurants as a historical snapshot - wouldn't it be nice to have Komi's from when they opened?)

• Like 1