Vox Media Buys Curbed Network

RWBooneJr

On 11/11/2013 at 9:10 AM, rssFood said:

Source: Grub Street New York

20100722_eater_146x97.jpg

Eater included.

Vox Media, which publishes The Verge, Polygon, and SB Nation, has purchased the Curbed Network, which includes the Curbed, Racked, and Eater blogs. The purchase price has not been disclosed, but a source tells the Times that the sites sold for a mix of cash and stock worth between "$20 million to $30 million." [Daily Intelligencer]

Read more posts by Hugh Merwin

Filed Under: sales, curbed, eater, lockhart steele, vox

Read full article >>

In case anyone was curious what Eater and its sister sites, Curbed and Racked, are worth...

This is what Eater, et al were worth to Vox Media. While a bit different from "worth" in more absolute or metaphorical senses, the $ are fairly black and white. And, this deal was very predictable.

This is an interesting deal as we were just talking about Eater on a different thread here on DR.com recently.  I'll try to find it and link to it if I can. In the interim, here's the Bloomberg Business Week coverage of it which offers a mildly interesting analysis of the bigger picture.

Suffice to say, there are two paths one can follow in business.  One is to pursue profit (personal and organizational) maximization.  The other is to pursue a non-monetary and usually quite personal goal. Some of the best, most admirable businesses in the world have the latter's DNA.  And, some of those end up being very successful monetarily.

Curbed is clearly of the former variety.  That's neither here nor there other than to say it's probably a different animal of different philosophy from donrockwell.com.

FWIW.  Thanks for sharing, RW!

• Like 1

On 11/11/2013 at 0:56 PM, RWBooneJr. said:

In case anyone was curious what Eater and its sister sites, Curbed and Racked, are worth...

"Vox Media Values At Nearly $400 Million After Investment" by Leslie Kaufman on on nytimes.com

On 11/11/2013 at 7:53 PM, darkstar965 said:

Suffice to say, there are two paths one can follow in business.  One is to pursue profit (personal and organizational) maximization.  The other is to pursue a non-monetary and usually quite personal goal. Some of the best, most admirable businesses in the world have the latter's DNA. 

This might surprise you (it surprised me), but we have more daily posts in our Washington, DC Restaurants and Dining forum alone than Eater does worldwide in all 76 of their forums combined, and that includes forums such as "General Food & Cooking," "Cookbooks," "Beer," etc., as well as regional restaurant forums (*).

In case anyone thinks I'm pulling this out of thin air, if you add up the posts in all 76 forums, Eater has a total of 4,462 posts in 118 days, or 37.8 posts per day, and that number includes things such as these:

Screenshot 2015-01-17 at 15.24.11.pngScreenshot 2015-01-17 at 15.28.49.pngScreenshot 2015-01-17 at 15.29.22.png

If you take away the initial posts which are largely employee-supplied, the numbers go down to 3,766 posts, or 31.9 posts per day. I just counted 4,066 posts on page 1 of our Washington, DC Restaurants and Dining forum.

In 2015, we've had 143 topics in our Washington, DC Restaurants and Dining Forum; Eater has had 75 topics in all their forums combined (**)

Of those 75 topics, 25 of them begin with the letter "W" and end with a question mark "?" (***)

(I don't sit around obsessing about this; I just now spent 5 minutes counting the 14 pages of posts they have (I can add numbers as fast as I can read them - which may also account for some human error because I did it very quickly)).

(*) My personal motto since April 15, 2005, has been, "Fingertips, not eyeballs - and work like a dog."

(**) They're hiring, btw.

(***) I swear I'm not trying to pile on, but this train-wreck is amazing to dissect. And I also swear that I wrote the head honcho early on and offered to help them - for free - before it was too late because I saw what was happening.

Something tells me there's going to be a staff meeting in the next few days. :)

• Like 1

I just stumbled across this little dust-up:

Jun 3, 2016 - "What Will a Suspension Do for a Vox Editor Who Urged Anti-Trump Riots?" by Erik Wemple on washingtonpost.com

Jun 14, 2016 - "Suspended Vox Editor Returns to Work" by Erik Wemple on washingtonpost.com

I have no knowledge about this situation, but I do know there are a lot of hyenas out there, just waiting for you to fall and injure yourself. That said, this sounds like something of a "crowd-quelling" move by Vox's Editor:

1) Suspend the perpetrator while people are screaming
2) Wait for the noise to dim, and for people to lose focus
3) Let the perpetrator back in once people aren't looking

Didn't this happen with Michael Corleone in The Godfather II?

---

From Wikipedia:

Knowing that his father's life is in danger while Sollozzo lives, Michael proposes that he murder Sollozzo and McCluskey. Sonny dismisses the idea, believing that killing McCluskey would invite police retribution. However, Michael persuades him that McCluskey has crossed into their world by serving as Sollozzo's bodyguard, and is therefore fair game. A meeting between Sollozzo and Michael is arranged. At the restaurant, Michael retrieves a handgun that his father's caporegime Peter Clemenza had planted in the bathroom and kills Sollozzo and McCluskey.

Michael flees to Sicily and spends two years under the protection of Vito's longtime ally, Don Tommasino. While there, Michael marries a young local woman named Apollonia Vitelli. A few months later, Michael is notified that Sonny has been murdered. As he and Apollonia prepare to move to a safer villa inSyracusa, she is killed by a car bomb intended for Michael. Fabrizio, Michael's bodyguard, planted the bomb after being bought off by the Corleones' rivals.

Michael returns to the United States in early 1951[3] and assumes Sonny's role as Vito's heir apparent.

---

It's surprising that the original tweet remains.

It's even more surprising, considering the amount of original press, that nobody has broken the news that the editor left Vox as of two days ago.