Caterer, Relatively Inexpensive, Party for 25, Wife Graduating Law School

DLB

Does anyone have specific recommendations/discommendations for caterers 'round these parts?

The +1 and I are looking at somewhere between 50 and 100 people, either at Great Falls Grange or at the City of Fairfax's Old Town Hall, next spring.

Investigations thus far have turned up the following possibilities:

3Citron

Catering by Windows

Occasions Caterers (although I'm given to understand they're rather pricey)

R&R Catering

RSVP Catering

An acquaintance also mentioned that "somewhere" in the vicinity of Rosslyn is a regular monthly open house-style tasting party featuring multiple caterers on a rotating basis, but was unable to provide further details. Has anyone heard of this particular series of events?

When my wife was responsible for setting-up many events she would generally use Windows and was quite happy with them. Another option is to contact the Ritz Carlton in either Tysons Corner or Pentagon City, I know that Pentagon City will do off-site catering, and I know that Tysons has done so in the past.

My wife and I used 3Citron for our wedding almost exactly two years ago. We were very happy with them. We shopped around at a bunch of different caterers, looking primarily for those who could offer us something beyond the usual wedding fare.

Ultimately, my take is that the food among the top caterers is roughly similar (no matter how you cut it, it's catered food for lots of people), so for us, it came down to which catering manager we felt most comfortable with and who best understood what we wanted.

For example, we had one tasting with a very good caterer, but the catering manager reminded us of our mothers. And the last thing we needed was a third mother as we planned our wedding. Another caterer offered very good food, but took forever to respond to phone calls and e-mails, which annoyed me. (I'd rather not name names publicly, but PM me if you want more details.)

We used RSVP for our wedding in 2004. I use them for work all the time and felt I could get the support staff etc., that I wanted. Indeed, we wrote the head waiter into the contract.

Ultimately, the guests had a great time but we wrote a 3 page letter detailing problems. Our catering manager is no longer there and I love my work rep so I would at least recomend talking to them.

Jennifer

We used Susan Gage for our wedding, and highly recommend them. We worked with Joe Carpenter, who was outstanding. He worked with us to create our fusion Jewish-Chinese menu which earned many raves. He also acted as a de-facto day-of wedding coordinator, and was indispensible. The staff was also excellent-- they worked with dietary restrictions (vegetarian, kosher, kid will only eat chicken fingers, etc.) without complaint. Definitely give them a call...

We've used Windows for a number of events at my office and have been really pleased, especially with the service and flexibility. The staff has always been great to us, especially our rep Carl Price, although I'm not sure if he deals solely with corporate events.

About a year ago I was pricing an office event and spoke with Susan Gage (also dealing with Joe Carpenter). They were prompt, professional and courteousy. There menu was more intriguing and I would have liked to use them but other factors took over.

Emily