Empire Biscuit, 24-Hour Biscuit House on Avenue A and E. 12th Street in Alphabet City

Empire Biscuit is located at 198 Avenue A (between 12th and 13th St) and opened relatively recently.

I went there last night and had a biscuit with sausage gravy and a spiced fried chicken biscuit (with pickled carrots and sauce a l'orange).

To my surprise, the sausage and gravy biscuit was served as a sandwich.  A sliced biscuit with ground sausage and gravy in between and inserted in a paper pocket.  The biscuit was fine with a crunchy bottom.   I prefer my biscuits and gravy to be served on a plate with enough gravy to soak the biscuit, which wasn't the case here.  Besides that, no complaints about the sausage gravy, but the sausage gravy wasn't exceptional either.

The spiced fried chicken biscuit was also served in a paper pocket.  I didn't find the spiced fried chicken to be "spiced," and I thought both the breading and the chicken really needed salt.  The pickled carrots and orange sauce didn't add enough flavor to offset the blandness of the chicken.

They seem to be pretty popular.

Source: Eater NY

empirebiscuitclosed-thumb.jpgEmpire Biscuit is still having issues meeting the overwhelming demand for their biscuits. They closed today at 1 p.m. because they were low on supplies, but will reopen at 6 p.m. this evening for the dinnertime crush. The team is still determined to run as a 24-hours-a-day restaurant, and are now claiming they'll deliver on that promise by Monday, November 18. [Twitter]

Read full article >>