Dining in Leesburg

Need a place to go in Leesburg that isn't too expensive and won't scare a non-foodie, but is good enough that foodies will like it.  I fear Tuskie's and Lightfoot may be too much.  Blue Ridge Grill is (barely) acceptable but surely we can do better?  Our friend is coming from near Winchester; we're willing to go a little farther that direction for something decent.  Any thoughts?

I went through this a couple of weeks ago when going to a show out there.

Unfortunately, I never found anything, after asking friends and on CH. Tuskies and Lightfoot are way more expensive than they should be for what they serve, and I couldn't find a single person who had eaten somewhere with more gentle prices that was willing to visit a second time.

Need a place to go in Leesburg that isn't too expensive and won't scare a non-foodie, but is good enough that foodies will like it.  I fear Tuskie's and Lightfoot may be too much.  Blue Ridge Grill is (barely) acceptable but surely we can do better?  Our friend is coming from near Winchester; we're willing to go a little farther that direction for something decent.  Any thoughts?

May not work for you since 15 miles west in Middleburg but might be interesting to try the Todd Gray advised fine dining spot at Sheila Johnson's new kazillion dollar resort? Then again, TS wasn't at all fond of the place but can only get better from here? Don't think we yet have a thread for it but maybe can join Cheezepowder's new opens list.

I absolutely love the Wine Kitchen in Old Town Leesburg as an alternative to the front room at Tuskie's. May actually prefer it. I am not a fan of the new Wine Kitchen in Purcellville-it is an entirely different thing. Salamander is expensive and it looks like a hotel dining room. The Leesburg Wine Kitchen has a great deal of "character," exposed brick walls, beamed ceilings, soft lighting. And very good food at a Clyde's like price point.

I went through this a couple of weeks ago when going to a show out there.

Unfortunately, I never found anything, after asking friends and on CH. Tuskies and Lightfoot are way more expensive than they should be for what they serve, and I couldn't find a single person who had eaten somewhere with more gentle prices that was willing to visit a second time.

We've been to the Leesburg Wine Kitchen six or seven times.

Warrenton has two places we like: Iron Bridge Wine Company and Claire's at the Depot.

Thanks for the recs - I sent my friend a list of places around Leesburg and Upperville, to see what would appeal to him, and he thought Hunter's Head sounded good, so we'll be going there.  HH is never quite as good as I think it should be but the pricing is gentle and the ambiance is right for this kind of get-together.

DanielK I agree with you about Tuskie's; I've never been to Lightfoot, though.

Joe H I'll keep Wine Kitchen in mind for next time.  Is the Iron Bridge in Warrenton related to the one somewhere in Maryland up towards Baltimore?

Thanks, all.

Until our last meal at Magnolia's at the Mill in Purcellville, I would have heartily recommended that place, but our last meal there was decidely mediocre.

Is the Iron Bridge in Warrenton related to the one somewhere in Maryland up towards Baltimore?

The one in Maryland is in Columbia and they are related.  I went to the Columbia location once about 9 years ago and really enjoyed it.  Have no idea what it's like today.

We tried the Warrenton Iron Bridge last year. I would rate our meal as "ok." I recall the wine as being really bad. It was a rose'.

Have never tried Lightfoot -- something about it has always turned me off. I think Tuskie's is pretty good, if somewhat overpriced. I was not overwhelmed by HHT either, but it's a nice place.

We like BRG but it's a pretty casual place.

What about Clyde's Willow Creek Farm? We've had several good meals there. The menu has stuff for both timid eaters and more adventurous palates, and it's just a few miles from Leesburg.

Hunter's Head is OK but I'm not a fan of it.  However, http://www.blackthorne-inn.com/ which has a 250+ year old tavern once owned by Geroge Washington (yes, that George Washington) named "Wolf Tone's Pub" is as atmospheric as any pub, restaurant, dining room in the United States.

I am serious.

And it is two or so miles from Hunter's Head.

I am NOT talking about the restaurant at the Black Thorne Inn, I am specifically "promoting" their pub.  Which is where most of the locals have dinner.  Incredible amibience.  Incredible.  Brick walls, stone floor, wood beamed ceiling and several working fireplaces it is literally a room that was once popular in the 18th century. Perhaps the same sconces for their candles, too.  And hasn't changed except for a couple of televisions.

The food is OK.  Nothing special.  Hamburgers, salads, soup-but Wolf Tones' Pub at the Black Thorne Inn is about the character and ambience of the room.  it is special.

If you do not nothing else and end up having dinner at Hunter's Head, please (!), just stop at the Black Thorne Inn, park in their lot and walk 20 or 30 yards to Wolf Tone's Pub.  Just take a look at it.

It is special.

Again, no bs, I am saying the ambience is the equal of anywhere in America.  At a minimum it's worth a glass of wine or an Irish Coffee.

^By the time you posted this, we were finishing our main courses at Hunter's Head (which I've posted about in that thread).  Thanks for the recommendations, though.  I'll be sure to check out the pub next time.

Three or four times a year we need a place near Leesburg for a small club meeting; sounds like Willow Creek Farm might be worth trying.  Tired of BRG.

dining in leesburg can be extremely rewarding when you find a gem or two. my wife and i moved out here in january and have weekend adventures trying out places. in historic there are only a couple places that are really acceptable for what they advertise.  the wine kitchen and palios are both very pleasant and well executed cuisine and service. palios is a bit pricey but good, hand made pastas and italian fare.  the wine kitchen is a great little farm to table nouveau american place that has a lesser price tag and cityesque service.  their wine and beer lists are really great. avoid the lightfoot like an aids ridden prostitute. prefab sysco products in convoluted fusion bastardizations at the cost of a car payment.  same with kings court, old town grill and georgetown cafe. seriously unsanitary and stale food.  if you are willing to go a bit off the path, the q company of catoctin circle is some of the best bbq ive had in my life in a cool rockabilly atmosphere.  farther down the road into the country towards the wva line there is the grandale farm restaurant on the 868 winery and vineyard property.  this has the vibe of a more casual ashby inn with similar fare, yet not as adventurous.  it has a cool open kitchen and the service is also comparable to more urban restaurants.  good luck and bon appetite.

• Like 2

"Smokehouse Live Opening Delayed" by Mike Stancik on leesburgtoday.com

"Food Trucks in Leesburg? Town Council Weighs Options" by Mike Stancik on leesburgtoday.com

"King Street Oysters Coming to Leesburg" by Mike Stancik on leesburgtoday.com

"Lightfoot Bakery Reopens with New Name, New Look" by Mike Stancik on leesburgtoday.com

---

Smokehouse Live (genericeric)

21 minutes ago, dcs said:

Drink Law Brings To-Go Cocktails to a Leesburg Mall, by Tierney Plumb, November 8, 2018, on dc.eater.com.  Time to get shopping!

I read that yesterday and I immediately went to the Village at Leesburg website to see what shops they have.  Turns out to be nothing exciting.  I wish it was the outlet mall that allows boozing....but then there aren't any bars/restaurants at the outlet mall.

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I read that yesterday and I immediately went to the Village at Leesburg website to see what shops they have.  Turns out to be nothing exciting.  I wish it was the outlet mall that allows boozing....but then there aren't any bars/restaurants at the outlet mall.

missed opportunity IMO for there not to be a bar at an Outlet mall. Must be somekind of restriction.