Waterfront Market & Cafe, Old Town Alexandria Waterfront - Sold to New Ownership - Closed, Renovating, and Reopening in 2016

Interesting. I did recently see signage for the Waterfront Market Cafe in the arcade.

Hey, if they can manage to pull off good food directly, and not inversely, proportional to the good views, I'm all for it.

That and I'm glad the old food court building will not (yet) become a blighted, vestigial homage to a failed attempt at a tourist-drawing waterfront that never reached its full potential.

I'm looking at you, Philly.

Exciting news!  Hope it looks good, as that is the view from my office.

Also excited about Waterfront Market as I could use another good quick lunch place near my office.

The Waterfront Market & Cafe held their press preview last week and friends and family grand opening on Sunday.  The official public opening date has been announced as next Tuesday, November 26.

Based on photos from the various events, the space looks great and it should be a very nice addition to the quite limited options located directly on the water. There's definitely a push to draw locals in with the "back to your waterfront" tag line.  The menu will include custom sandwiches, salads, prepared gourmet items, beer and wine to go (or drink there), fresh sushi, pastries, etc., with similar items available for purchase at the retail market.  More specifics here, via LocalKicks.

Jody Manor, the owner of Bittersweet Cafe and Catering (in business since 1983), knows a thing or two about creating a sustainable, successful business, so here's wishing him a long run in this latest venture.

I'm looking forward to checking it out soon after it opens!

So I heard secondhand that this place doesn't give you cups for water anymore? My DH who works up the street has vowed never to darken their door again because of this new policy. When he told the manager, he was told not to blame the management for this change but to blame all the bad customers who stole free sodas using the soda fountains. Makes me think that if you need to resort to no water for customers to protect your profits, you may have bigger problems...

Dunno about the water policy, I got water about a month ago in a different cup, you know the small plastic one.  I go here fairly often only because it is less than half a block from my office, so the drink thing doesn't really bother me because I take it back to my office a lot and we have drinks.  I like the curry chicken salad, ruben and Christine B.  Some of their daily specials are good.  I don't like the sushi which I think is really overpriced and you can't really get anything custom.  I do like being able to sit out in the sun and eat a nice little lunch.  Every now and then I get a snack here like pretzels and hummus.

I had higher hopes for this.  I was hoping it would be a little bit more like the actual Bittersweet.  And their salads are boring.  I was hoping for more interesting items and more grab and go.

Just wondering where the Annapolis information in the title came from, pretty sure it's incorrect. As far as I know this is a one-off from the owner of Bittersweet, in Alexandria. Was there some confusion with The Blackwall Hitch, which is coming to the space which had been the food court pavilion, just to the west of the Chart House? That will be the second location of an Annapolis-based business.

Waterfront Market seems to be doing good business with their outside seating. I agree, something closer to the original Bittersweet would have been my preference.

Just wondering where the Annapolis information in the title came from, pretty sure it's incorrect. As far as I know this is a one-off from the owner of Bittersweet, in Alexandria. Was there some confusion with The Blackwall Hitch, which is coming to the space which had been the food court pavilion, just to the west of the Chart House? That will be the second location of an Annapolis-based business.

Waterfront Market seems to be doing good business with their outside seating. I agree, something closer to the original Bittersweet would have been my preference.

[Yes, I was doing ten things at once, and must have gotten the two crossed - thanks!]

Dunno about the water policy, I got water about a month ago in a different cup, you know the small plastic one. 

It seems like giving a different-looking small cup for water makes it much more obvious when someone is stealing.  If they have tap water access (which they must) behind the counter, why can't they fill a small cup with water and give it to the customer?  Then any thieving would be even more obvious.

Well I have reached a point where- I will not give an ultimatum as this place is literally next to my office, but- it will take a lot for me to go back there.  I went in the other day and figured out they had taken away the bowls of chicken and tuna salad that you could order deli counter style.  I asked, "I know you used to sell this by the pound and I see that it isn't in the counter anymore, but could I still just buy, just chicken salad?" The answer was yes.  Then the woman clarified, "So you don't want the sandwich?" I explained nicely I couldn't eat the bread and just wanted the chicken salad itself.  Again they agreed.  Then she asked if I wanted a pickle and chips.  I politely said, if I can just get a tub of chicken salad like you used to be able to do that is all I want.  Didn't seem to be a problem..... And then they charged me for a whole sandwich and meal, and I got less than 1/2 pound of chicken salad.  Essentially I got the same amount that would go on their sandwich.  There was a huge line behind me, I was in the middle of preparing for a huge trial and I just didn't have the energy to make a fuss.  But it really soured my overall experience.  And not having those items in the counter means for persons eating gluten free it just got a bit harder.  Combine that with their sushi being so much more expensive and of a lesser quality than other options nearby it just was a really unnecessary difficulty for anyone who can't have a sandwich.  Especially as their salads are not very inventive or filling.

• Like 1

Per their Facebook page.

November 10, 2015

To Our Dear Customers: It is with a bittersweet feeling that we announce the closing of the Waterfront Market today for an expansion and renovation over the winter. Yesterday I completed the sale of a stake in the Market to a great partner who will bring a new full kitchen and expanded menu in the spring of 2016.

We are grateful for the warm welcome we've received from the local community as well as visitors since opening in 2013. When we conceptualized the Market three years ago, we never expected that the Old Dominion Boat Club would be moving to a splendid new building a block away and the City would have the opportunity to create a beautiful public plaza at the foot of our historic main street.

My mission since opening has been to be part of the transformation of the waterfront. With a new front door being created to our historic city I felt it was appropriate to "˜step up our game' and be part of this incredible opportunity.

The staff join me in thanking all of you for your support and patronage. We look forward to serving you again in the spring "” and hope you'll wander (or take the trolly) up the street to Bittersweet for great food, community and my Mom.

With gratitude,

Jody Manor