Best of Beer Lists - 2013

Here is Draft Magazine's 2013 Top 25 Beers of the Year.

Here is Wine Enthusiast's Top 25 Beers.  Since this is presented as a buying guide, the one-offs aren't as prevalent, but regionals like New Glarus and Deschutes are very highly regarded.

I don't really rank things when I try them, so I have no personal best beers of the year.  But looking back through the VBT, which is a good online record, I think I'll pick up some more Troegnator once my fridge is empty.

Please chime in with any best of lists, either published or person, that you might have!

[No list, just random comments]

Glad to see a beer from Evolution mentioned, I mostly come across their IPA and ESB but both are damn good. My discoveries from this year have been beers from Horseheads Brewing (out of Horseheads, NY with almost no distribution), Ninkasi (great beers out of Eugene, OR) and Heater Allen (some of the best American lagers I've ever had, made in McMinnville, OR).

Interesting how little overlap there was on the lists - beer drinking really is subjective.  Nice to see the Day Man IPA end up on both though - I really enjoyed that.

Pretty excited to get to the NW this week and load up on as much of the breweries we don't have as I can.

Wow, those are difficult lists, especially the Draft list. In the "old" days, you'd see a list of (subjectively) great beers and then buy them to see if you agree. Now, especially with these lists, you say to yourself "Hmm...wish I'd ever heard of, seen, bought or tasted this beer. Must've been good" and then you never think of it again. You could argue that one could generalize and think that if one brewery's beer is on the list then it's worth trying others from that brewery, but that's not a solid argument, although it's not to say you won't get a good beer. I kinda miss the old days, although it's amazing what beer options we have available to us now.

I know I am chiming in a little late, but my top beer of 2013 was New Belgium Oscar, unblended.  Had it at a New Belgium sour event at Black Squirrel, all sorts of variants, all amazing, all unique in their own way.  Second favorite was Stone Enjoy By, no need to elaborate on that one.  Finishing off the group with another IPA--Flying Dog, The Truth.  I am a Flying Dog nerd and fanboy, but they really have something with this one.  Please try if you see it out there.

• Like 1