The Boulevardier - The Cocktail and Its History

FunnyJohn

I bought some Aperol over the summer for a cocktail recipe, and have half a bottle or so left.  Does it compare favorably to Campari in drinks like these?

It will be a different, but not necessarily worse, flavor profile, depending on your preferences and the drink in question. Aperol is much less bitter (as FunnyJohn says, more citrusy) than Campari (which has more of an herbally grapefruit taste), and here would likely make the sweetness of the vermouth more pronounced. To balance this drink a bit more, I think that a red vermouth that is less on the sweet side would be preferable (Antica? Dolin?). Maybe add a dash of bitters?

• Like 1

I prepared the first of many variations last night using Aperol, Dolin Blanc, and Breuckelen 77 Rye and Corn Whiskey (Disclosure? I'm friends with the owner's sister).  I haven't had the original Campari version, but I really dug this one.  The whiskey isn't overpowering to the more delicate spirits, so you really do get a good blend of all three flavors.  Of course the Aperol and Vermouth are both on the lighter, citrusy side.  My wife who doesn't like sweet drinks, including the Aperol Fizz for which we have the bottle, thought it was very good  I went with the rye over bourbon, after reading the linked to article that heavier bourbons could overpower the drink.  Go ahead and make your Aperol Boulevardiers without fear. Perhaps we could get it named the Rockwellardier around town.

The recipe I've been using for years includes a lemon twist that I think makes the drink more balanced, at least for my taste buds. I'm pretty sure I first found out about this drink from Jason Wilson in the Post. My recipe also is 1.5:1:1 and maybe that's why the twist helps.

I had a drink called Boulevardier at La Piquette (nice new place across from Two Amys), but it was vodka ("Elyx") and Campari.  I had never heard the term before.  Are they misusing the name, or is the name ambiguous?  Anyway, it was good.  (Of course it was good!   It was vodka and campari!)

I had a drink called Boulevardier at La Piquette (nice new place across from Two Amys), but it was vodka ("Elyx") and Campari.  I had never heard the term before.  Are they misusing the name, or is the name ambiguous?  Anyway, it was good.  (Of course it was good!   It was vodka and campari!)

According to cocktaildb, there's a vodka-and-campari drink called the Zeus.