Dunkin' Donuts, a Massachusetts Chain with 15,000 Outlets in 37 Countries

Oooh, did you know that Komi reworked their doughnuts? They still come with this gorgeous dip of hot chocolate and whipped cream for dipping, but the doughnuts are more like beignets now and have a sweet tang of honey in the dough.

On a hole-y unrelated note, Pernod-Ricard - a French conglomerate no less - just sold Dunkin Donuts for an eye-popping $2.43 billion.

An interesting Starbucks vs Dunkin Donuts comparison.  I am surprised that with as many outlets more that Starbucks has, their sales are not far larger vis a vis Dunkin.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/specials/starbucks_vs_dunkin_donuts/

A fascinating link. Thanks for posting it. There is much to be gleaned here, and I suspect an entire Master's Paper could be written on the topic.

Gotta give Dunkin' credit - somehow, they've managed to hang in there.

• Like 1

I am surprised that with as many outlets more that Starbucks has, their sales are not far larger vis a vis Dunkin.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/specials/starbucks_vs_dunkin_donuts/

Also surprising given the far higher cost of most of the beverages at Starbucks vs. Dunkin.  My guess is that it's balanced out by a far higher percentage of DD customers purchasing food items. I'd say they must be selling both food & beverage to well over half of their customers -- and in many cases, a single customer is buying a dozen donuts or 50 Munchkins, so they're reaching many more mouths than enter the store.

And yes, if there's a nearby Dunkin Donuts, it almost always gets the nod over Starbucks for me.

Interesting from the above maps that in an areas where dunkin donuts and starbucks compete such as NYC and in this area as bookluvingbabe referenced dunkin goes for the outer suburbs and less expensive locations and starbucks goes for the "glitzyier" closer in locations.

Meanwhile there is a Starbucks and a Dunkin in the Courthouse area in Arlington.   Ahhhh....time for a taste test and price comparison of chains with thousands of locations and billions of $$ in revenues.   ;)

Coffee-Country1.png

I find it vaguely amusing there's that one little yellow county dead smack dab in the middle of the country.  I'd like to imagine Dunkin and Starbucks' mooks meet there every year to "hash out da details and grievances" like rival mafiosos.

• Like 5

Maybe that explains why I keep running across Dunkin Donuts in odd places when I travel in Europe. I found one just outside of the Hannover, Germany, train station when I was there on assignment in March. It seemed pretty crowded, so apparently Germans like their donuts. On the other hand, the other hundred or so food vendors in the train station don't sell donuts, so maybe they just want something different from beer and sausage, although I can't figure out why.

WR