Occidental Grill & Seafood, Downtown - Chef Rodney Scruggs at a Historic Location in The Willard Hotel, Open Since 1906

I looked for a while but can't find a thread on this place, which seems inconceivable to me, so I'll assume the error is mine. I just want to put in a plug and say that if you're looking to get a drink downtown (specifically near my office) you can do a lot worse that the bar here. It feels old school Washington, and for the past couple of years they have a put in a really good bar program. It's not cheap, but they use good ingredients (and fresh ingredients) and they know what they're doing with their cocktails. You can typically get seats at the bar or one of the bar tables, which you can't always say about Old Ebbitt, you can have a conversation, and they won't do something ridiculous like shake your Manhattan (like Old Ebbitt). I thought it deserved mention.

I looked for a while but can't find a thread on this place, which seems inconceivable to me, so I'll assume the error is mine. I just want to put in a plug and say that if you're looking to get a drink downtown (specifically near my office) you can do a lot worse that the bar here. It feels old school Washington, and for the past couple of years they have a put in a really good bar program. It's not cheap, but they use good ingredients (and fresh ingredients) and they know what they're doing with their cocktails. You can typically get seats at the bar or one of the bar tables, which you can't always say about Old Ebbitt, you can have a conversation, and they won't do something ridiculous like shake your Manhattan (like Old Ebbitt). I thought it deserved mention.

[Nope! This was pretty much the last major restaurant that didn't have a thread.]

By the way, Chef Scruggs has been there for a long time. He is also related to noteworthy pastry chef Lisa Scruggs, who was Pastry Chef at Equinox at least ten years ago, has worked for Buzz and The Swiss Bakery, and has recently taken a position downtown - I can't remember which restaurant.

Huh, that's surprising to me. The food is only ok, although I'll confess that I only eat lunch there, and even then very rarely. It's a step above Old Ebbitt for lunch, but not enough steps above for me to make a habit of it. And up until a couple of years ago their bar menu was both expensive and terrible, but they've turned that around. They have good and friendly bartenders who know what they're doing, and they have a solid beer list as well. It's expensive, which is obviously a negative, but the cocktails aren't outrageously priced given the current standard in DC.  

Much of their bar menu was installed by a fellow named Jo Jo Valenzuela.  He is one of DC's acclaimed bartenders.  You can look up Jo Jo across the web and see a lot of references.

I heard he recently went over to Iron Gate, but I'm not sure about that.  If he is at Iron Gate I'm sure there will be an excellent cocktail menu there also.

I'm pleased to say that Jo Jo is an old graduate of our school.   His skills and knowledge though are a testimony to his devotion to the craft.  His cocktails are terrific and Occidental has been nice to price them reasonably in today's market.   Excellent place for cocktails.

Was in town for the 4th, and happened upon the outdoor seating at Occidental Grill - have eaten at Cafe du Parc several times, but they were not seating outside last nite and it was actually pretty nice with a decent breeze.

Porter Braised Beef Short Rib Whipped Grits | Confit Baby Carrots | Celery Root “Chips” | Red Wine Demi-Glace - was excellent and flavorful.  Service was excellent and sitting outside on a quiet nite, perfect.  We did not stay for dessert, only as it was getting late and it had been a long day.

• Like 2