Justified (2010-), Crime-Drama Developed by Graham Yost and Starring Tim Olyphant - New Season Starting January 7, 2014

Seanchai

New season is starting up January 7.  Out of all the non-old school TV network shows that have gotten so much acclaim the last few years (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.), this is the only one I've really gotten into.  SInce I only watch TV for movies, sports, Top Chef and the Daily Show, maybe I haven't tried that hard.

Much like many of my favorite thriller/mystery writers, the show takes the stance that the plot of any given show/season is just a mechanism to deliver multiple three-dimensional character studies, witty dialogue, and thrilling scenes.  I was a big fan of Deadwood with Olyphant and it's fun to see how many alumni of that fantastic, short-lived show have made it over to Justified to banter with Olyphant's Raylan Givens.  Both shows have/had a love for language which makes them so much fun to watch and quote the next day.  Well done low art, backwoods noir.

Didn't think I was going to like this show at all, since I don't have much interest in crime shows, but Justified is very engrossing; some fascinating characters.  Seanchai described it well as "backwoods noir".  Just found out that Elmore Leonard died this year (The show is based on some of his writings).

And Pappy Van Winkle makes a cameo this week along with Elmer T Lee.  Good to see a Kentucky-based show giving some screen time to their biggest export. 

Imagine the worldwide impact an ad with Johnny Depp holding a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 would have.

(And to save you some time Googling, yes, he was born in Kentucky, not on a Portuguese galleon.)

Blanton's Bourbon got a shout out on Justified last night.  So far I believe all of the name, or bottle, checked bourbons are  Buffalo Trace Distillery products.  I wonder if there's a promotional tie-in, doesn't look like the show actually films in the Bluegrass state.

Forgot there also was a bottle of Wild Turkey being passed around in one scene, so maybe they are being more democratic with their product placement.

Because this thread has 217 views, and I think I only account for half of them I'll keep it going.  Though last night's episode had no actual bourbon featured in it, two separate commercial breaks were sponsored by Jack Daniels and Jim Beam.  They know their audience.

I started streaming this series from Amazon, starting with the first season, about three weeks ago. I'm now into the first part of season three. This is some of the best television I've ever seen, up there, in modern times, with "The Wire". I loved "Deadwood", but this is better, and Timothy Olyphant somehow managed to get even better looking. The dialogue crackles, the violence is brilliantly executed, as it were, the photography glows, the actors all turn in solid and often stunning performances. There are some incredibly horrible characters portrayed, but they're all interesting, and most of them get killed on screen! This series is solid thrills, and I can hardly express how much I love it.