Richmond, VA

I am spending more and more time in Richmond Va and have noticed we do not have a thread on wonderful city.

Look here for information on one BBQ place http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=38

I had a great meal at "The Hard Shell" located downtown on Cary Street. I started off with Calamari, fresh, fried, lightly dusted with corn meal.
My main meal was a pasta and seafood dish. The seafood was fresh, pleantiful and full of flavor. The light tomato and basil sauce was a perfect accompliment to this dish.

There's also some funky cuban place that has pretty good food in the Fan. .. . It used to be an old grocery store. I'm way more into the space, clearly. But, I would go back just for that place. If you ask anyone, they'll know what you're talking about.

There's also some funky cuban place that has pretty good food in the Fan. .. . It used to be an old grocery store.  I'm way more into the space, clearly.  But, I would go back just for that place.  If you ask anyone, they'll know what you're talking about.

Havana 59. They have a neat roof top area too.

There's another small place downtown near the farmer's market, I think it's called Zuppa or something like that. It has awesome sandwiches and soups. I've only been there once, but my mom loves it and goes all the time.

I grew up in Richmond but we went to so many chains growing up (since I lived on the "South Side" in suburbia) so I'm trying to think of nicer places.

Sam Miller's in the Bottom is consistently good. And speaking of the Bottom, Bottom's Up Pizza has always been one of my favorites. And speaking of pizza, if you're into hole in the wall, family owned and operated, delicious pizzerias, check out Candela's at the intersection of Huguenot and Robius Rd. in Midlothian. My family probably eats there once a week and my brother practices speaking Italian with the owner/cook.

I highly recommend Acappella , (Church Hill Area), it's in the Patrick Henry Inn, 2303 Broad Street, , which looks like a small B&B. Their cuisine is German/Italian. They have a wonderful outdoor patio garden area for al fresco dining, it is very cozy and makes you feel like you are in a different world. Here's their website: http://acappellaonthehill.com/index.htm

It is one of our favorite restaurants in Richmond.

Italian food fans should definitely check out Mama Zu's.  It's in a somewhat shady part of town, but the food is really good, reasonably priced, and served family style.

http://www.jeffkelso.com/Restaurants/MamaZu.htm

I also enjoy Mama Zu. Short on atmosphere, but the food is good and cheap. The owners of Mama Zu are related to the owners of Ristorante A.V. (a son, I believe?)

And they also own Edo's Squid in Richmond, which I have not been to, but have heard good things about.

Havana 59 is in the bottom.

I think the poster is referring to Cuba Cuba, in the fan on Park Ave.

It's excellent.

Havana 59 is in the bottom, But unfortunately it has never reopened following the flooding in the Bottom from tropical storm Gaston over a year and a half ago. Sadly, that storm really wiped out business in the Bottom. However, I am hearing that Havana is planning to reopen soon, so hopefully they'll get back on their feet. I always enjoyed the food, drinks, and open air dining there.

we've just moved here and live in The Fan district. there is a take-out only place owned by the same group that does mama zu and edo's...its called 8&1/2 and it's on Strawberry St ...guessing 300 block north. best thin crust real Italian style pizza i've had.

Acacia ...www.acaciarestaurant.com is on West Cary...about 3300 blk and chef was a F and W best new chef winner a few years ago...tues. nite all bts. wine with 2 entries (or their 3 course $19.95 prix fixe) are 1/2 price!! run, don't walk!

BBQ...i'm not an expert, but we took out from buz and neds last evening some pulled pork and slaw and if it gets any better in Richmond, let me know!! it's on about the 1100 blk of N Boulavard (3000 blk West)

we've only been here a couple weeks but, seems to be a decent dining scene...i'll up date as we discover good eats!

I never plan road trips well. I get stuck in traffic more times than not, pick the wrong EZ Pass lanes heading up north, and tend to pass up dining opportunities in favor of car snacks along the way. But this weekend was different. I left my sister's place around 3:30, and realized that if traffic wasn't awful, I would hit Richmond around dinner time. Millies! If I drove fast, I might even beat the lines for this unassuming little shack located on the corner of 26th & E. Main in the shadow of the old Lucky Strike factory. Lucky Strike indeed - not only did I pull into Richmond at 6:00 on the dot, but I found a parking space directly across the street from the restaurant and was seated whereever I wished in the tiny dining room (my parents have never been so lucky on their attempts to dine at Millie's Diner).

The menu changes daily, with only one or two dishes remaining as signatures of the chef, who is slaving away at a tiny Vulcan stove & grill in the front corner of the restaurant for all to see. Chefs who complain that they don't have adequate storage or prep space in their kitchens need to take a pilgrimage to this tiny alter of good eats. I ordered a bowl of the Soup of the Day - a colossal portion of Beluga Lentils with carrot, celery, onion, potatoes and a hint of curry. Absolutely delicious. I followed the soup with a creative crepe of confit - duck confit wrapped in a delicate scallion crepe served with a refreshing green papaya salad. The salad's crisp acid balanced the rich crepe perfectly. Having filled up on way too much food, I opted to pass on dessert (besides, I had plenty of snacks in the car).

Total bill for dinner with a small glass of wine came to $42 with tax & a way too generous tip (the endorphines were pumping from the happy meal which made it difficult for me to add correctly...oh well, it was worth it!).

Maybe I should start taking more side trips like these! If you're passing through, Millie's Diner is most definitely worth the delay!!!

Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue is my favorite barbecue joint north of Alabama. Wonderful meat, wonderful sides, micro brew beers, what's not to love? Their greens are the best I've ever had, anywhere, and the mac and cheese is to die for. Pork spare ribs, baby back ribs, beef ribs, beef brisket, pulled pork, pulled chicken. They grill their garlic bread, make sure you get some! A trip to Richmond is not complete without a trip to Buz and Ned's.

Comfort restaurant -- new Southern cuisine -- if you are a big fan of Southern style cooking, this place is pretty much wonderful. Every entree comes with two or three sides (your choice, three sides are a couple of dollars more than two sides), and you can get a vegetable plate (some of the vegetable dishes have pork).

I had the fried catfish with mac'n'cheese, greens, and fried okra as sides. Mac'n'cheese excellent, the greens do not compare to Buz and Ned's, the okra was a revelation, fried whole. Excellent corn bread. This will be added to my list of "musts" in Richmond.

After complaining endlessly about the lack of really good Southern/soul food in the DC metro area, I am throwing in the towel and heading to Richmond when I have a "soul food jones."

Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue is my favorite barbecue joint north of Alabama. Wonderful meat, wonderful sides, micro brew beers, what's not to love? Their greens are the best I've ever had, anywhere, and the mac and cheese is to die for. Pork spare ribs, baby back ribs, beef ribs, beef brisket, pulled pork, pulled chicken. They grill their garlic bread, make sure you get some! A trip to Richmond is not complete without a trip to Buz and Ned's.

Comfort restaurant -- new Southern cuisine -- if you are a big fan of Southern style cooking, this place is pretty much wonderful. Every entree comes with two or three sides (your choice, three sides are a couple of dollars more than two sides), and you can get a vegetable plate (some of the vegetable dishes have pork).

I had the fried catfish with mac'n'cheese, greens, and fried okra as sides. Mac'n'cheese excellent, the greens do not compare to Buz and Ned's, the okra was a revelation, fried whole. Excellent corn bread. This will be added to my list of "musts" in Richmond.

After complaining endlessly about the lack of really good Southern/soul food in the DC metro area, I am throwing in the towel and heading to Richmond when I have a "soul food jones."

Richmond sure does have some good 'cue joints! I miss that.

Have you tried Croaker's Spot in Jackson Ward? They put the "soul" in Soul Food!

We met up with family this weekend at Buz and Ned's. We were early and the place hadn't opened but that didn't stop a line forming outside. It was wonderful. Satisfied the 2 South Carolinians and one semi-Texan. They pulled off both pork and beef bbq. We ate the porkbaby back ribs (huge), beef brisket sandwich and a pulled pork sandwich. The greens had little cubes of bacon and was suprisingly our favorite side. Mac & Cheese was good with the slightly crispy cheese from baking. It was by far the thinnest cut of brisket I've seen but all in all a great meal. Thanks for the recommendation.

I also enjoy Mama Zu. Short on atmosphere, but the food is good and cheap. The owners of Mama Zu are related to the owners of Ristorante A.V. (a son, I believe?)

And they also own Edo's Squid in Richmond, which I have not been to, but have heard good things about.

The food was quite phenomenal from the appetizers all the way through to the dessert. Probably the best meal I have ever had in Richmond. We had mouth-watering duck, lamb, gorgonzola pasta, the crab appetizer, and a few other dishes I can't even remember (there were 6 of us). However, we had such a bad experience with the owner(?)/host, that I will not go back. The best food in the world is not worth being treated like crap while you wait for a table.

A new gelateria just opened in Richmond, selling gelato, sorbetto and some baked items. Sorry, I haven't been down there yet, so I don't know if it's any good, but it's worth a try. Yeah, OK, so it's a plug for a friend of mine. But hey, it's gelato.

DeLuca Gelato, 1362 Gaskins Rd., 2 miles south of I-64 exit 180.

http://www.delucagelato.com/

Maybe I should start taking more side trips like these! If you're passing through, Millie's Diner is most definitely worth the delay!!!

Millie's Diner, at the bottom of Church Hill, is really the only restaurant in richmond worth a damn, as far as food goes. Tiny, funky and always attempting something yummy. The wine list is damn good, too. As for atmosphere, Can Can Brasserie, which modeled itself on Balthazar in NY, which modeled itself on any number of actual French brasseries, has a the longest zinc bar I've seen anywhere and a straight French wine list put together by the most knowledgable wine guy in town, Bob Talcott. The food is hit or miss, but it's still fun. For sushi and an excellent sake selection, i'd recommend Osaka Steak and Sushi. Yes, the name is unfortunate, but the sushi is correct and the owner, Chris, is a real sake fanatic. I recommend the "divine droplets". Oh, yeah: lunch at Kuba Kuba is fun, too.

After moving my little girl (ok - Dad - she's not so little any more, sigh) into her new Apt. in the Fan District, I took her, her roomates, boyfriend and another ex-boyfriend to dine at Can-Can. We were early, and it was Sunday (I gather a slow night in Richmond since this was the fourth place I called with the previous three being closed), they had no trouble expanding my original reservation for 4 to 7 diners. Can Can does a good approximation of a Parisian bistro The bar is indeed long and welcoming. The wine list (at least the one by-the-glass) is exclusively French and well priced with variety. Oysters, Moules, cold Lobster and other crustaceans available. My wife and I had hangar steaks in a rich wine sauce which wwere delicious, and I didn't hear any complaints from the kids bout their entrees. Desserts, while standard (creme brulee, chocolate mousse, etc.) were well prepared and presented. The service was quite well-executed -- not too rushed but attentive when we were ready to move on. My wine glass was kept filled.

There's another small place downtown near the farmer's market, I think it's called Zuppa or something like that. It has awesome sandwiches and soups. I've only been there once, but my mom loves it and goes all the time.

We rolled into Richmond at lunchtime on our way home from a trip to Chapel Hill. We didn't have a particular restaurant destination in mind, but found a place to park near Zuppa. It had the right kind of vibe, so we went in. And were VERY glad we did. Veggie-teen ordered a chocolate shake made with house-made ice cream, that she declared was the best chocolate shake she'd ever had. I tasted it and about swooned. Good chocolate. REALLY good chocolate. Most of those kind of things are made with cheap chocolate syrup and don't appeal to me one bit. But I really had to restrain myself from taking it away from her--not that she would have allowed herself to be separated from it. I had a "cuban" sandwich made with house smoked pulled pork on house made bread and a cold tomato-mango soup with crabmeat. Jonathan had a pulled pork bbq sandwich with she-crab soup. The pork--the same meat in both sandwiches, with different condiments-- was succulent and flavorful, and the sourdough bread was slightly crusty and not at all heavy. A superior sandwich. The she-crab soup was the only slightly discordant note in the meal--over thickend and a bit gluey although flavorful. Veggie-teen had a house salad that was remarkably generous for $5. We shared a piece of warm maple pecan pie with vanilla ice cream, that was freshly made and delicious. A real bargain, to boot. What a great place.

Anyone been to the Strawberry Street Cafe? Looks cute but is it worth the trip for a family brunch?

My sister, bro-in-law & the kids are meeting me & the parents halfway for my dad's birthday brunch next Sunday. We need a place that's yummy, affordable & kid friendly (read: 3 & 1 year old)...oh, and reservations would be nice!

Anyone been to the Strawberry Street Cafe? Looks cute but is it worth the trip for a family brunch?

My sister, bro-in-law & the kids are meeting me & the parents halfway for my dad's birthday brunch next Sunday. We need a place that's yummy, affordable & kid friendly (read: 3 & 1 year old)...oh, and reservations would be nice!

I've been to Strawberry Street a few times, but not recently. Nothing crazy or mind-blowing here (soups, salads, sandwiches, omeletes), but I'd say it would be pretty good for what you are looking for (though I haven't lived in Richmond in years, and when I did, I wasn't so much into food). They are known for their "bathtub" salad bar. Sunday brunch is prime time for Strawberry Street, so I'd definitely try to get reservations.

How much of a trip are we talking here?

Strawberrry St. is a wonderful place and great for brunch. The kids will love the bathtub salad bar and I highly recommend the sun-dried tomato bisque! If you like it as much as I do-get some to go at the Strawberry St. market next door. It's truly one of the places I miss (as well as the Fan itself).

Enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich with a side of potato salad and baked beans at Ned's Barbecue for lunch and had roasted char at Milllie's for dinner tonight. I will find myself in Richmond quite often in the near future on business and am so grateful for the tipoff from folks on this messageboard about good places to grab a bite. Indeed after a long and thankless day of work nothing is nicer than seeing Verdicchio on the menu and some beautiful fish to go with it. Cheers.

.... And speaking of pizza, if you're into hole in the wall, family owned and operated, delicious pizzerias, check out Candela's at the intersection of Huguenot and Robius Rd. in Midlothian. My family probably eats there once a week and my brother practices speaking Italian with the owner/cook.
We were staying not too far from here and decided not to venture into town because of an early start. Based on the info above (which is almost 3 years old) wound up at Candela's. Unfortunately, I think we would have been more satisfied if we'd stopped at the Carrabba's we passed on the way there.

Service was friendly and it looked like the place is a popular local joint (volunteer firefighters stopped for dinner while were there, large group was leaving when we arrived). We shared an app of Mozzarella Fritta (Mozzarella stuffed with prosciutto, fried, and served with a special sauce) - sounds good, huh? Well, it was two huge triangles of cheese with a little bit of prosciutto hidden inside. The special sauce was a heavy cream sauce with a couple of capers scattered throughout - not very special and it completely overwhelmed the cheese. Too much, too rich, and not too tasty.

I ordered the rigatoni with meatballs, mostly because you don't see rigatoni much and it was a childhood favorite. The sauce was thin and overly sweet and didn't have any seasoning or flavor that even hinted at it having been made in-house. If it was, it was not a style that I enjoy. The meatballs were probably straight out of a Sysco freezer bag. :rolleyes: Entrees came with the salad bar - very standard topping choices, nice fresh lettuce.

We also ordered a pizza, which was probably the highlight of the meal (and that's not saying much). The crust and sauce were good, but I'm not a big fan of canned mushrooms. Maybe you're better off sticking with a plain cheese or pepperoni pizza.

I hate to be so negative, but I was pretty disappointed. Again, service was friendly and maybe there were better menu choices to be made - but I think a plate of pasta and sauce should be a pretty good gauge for a neighborhood Italian spot.

Next time, I'm giving Millie's a try!

I went to the Capital Ale House in Midlothian with my parents yesterday.

The food was strictly middle of the road - dad seemed to like his German style dish of sausage and potato something-or-others, and mom's fish and chips were average. My wings were good, I thought, and big, with a nice spice to them, and the fries were tasty. The dipping mayos were, for the most part, tasty too.

The good thing was the beer - WOW what a beer selection! They even have my current favorite (Rodenbach Grand Cru) on tap! I had a Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster, a German "black pils", followed by a Belgian brown grand cru whose name escapes me, and finally a Petras (if I spelled that right) pale Flemish sour.

If I lived in the area, it'd definitely be a regular place to hit - if I could get a ride home. :angry:

Tarrants, a small speakeasy downtown, was the perfect dining spot for us. We started with she crab soup and a Greek salad. The waitress downsize the salad to a side and the three of us were very happy! Dinner was a couple of pizzas, both NY style that were really well prepared along with a couple of gin martinis. The menu really looked great with fish tacos one of the house specialities. Desserts were all house made and we sampled a warm brownie and ice cream and a chocolate chip cheese cake.

Heading down to the Virginia Museum of Fine Art in Richmond to see the Picasso exhibit, any recommendations for nearby spots for a late afternoon lunch? Interesting veggie options a big bonus. Probably prefer something on the more casual end of the spectrum.

Would also prefer walking distance or short drive from the museum.

Heading down to the Virginia Museum of Fine Art in Richmond to see the Picasso exhibit, any recommendations for nearby spots for a late afternoon lunch? Interesting veggie options a big bonus. Probably prefer something on the more casual end of the spectrum.

Would also prefer walking distance or short drive from the museum.

Buzz and Ned's remains one of my favorite 'que joints in these here parts; tho' the endless loop of defeating bobby flay could probably be toned down or simply abolished. Its just up the boulevard from the museum.

Comfort, just a short jaunt away in Jackson Ward down Broad st, has some pretty stellar sandwiches and fries of character.

Millie's, even if it is on the other side of town (this is Richmond, not DC, so "other side of town" is, in actuality, something like a 15 minute drive) always has interesting options, if not always downright delicious.

Had great lunch at Balliceaux today. Started off with roasted sweet onion soup with olive oil crouton. The onions are slow roasted and you really get a nice depth of flavor. My wife started with the coastal blue crab soup with sherry cream. She said she loved it. My Main course was the fried oyster po' boy with truffle fries. It was served on a really nice grilled baguette with butter lettuce, tomato, a really nice creole sauce and some really great fried oysters. The truffle fries are awesome, by the way. My wife's main was the potlikker braised catfish served with long grain rice and pigeon pea pilaf and zucchini salad. I didn't taste it, but she finished every bite of it and said it was really good. We both had a chocolate cream caramel for dessert. It was decadent and it was great! The service is friendly and very good.

My Richmond-based family heard a rumor that Peter Chang is opening up a dim sum place in either The Fan or in Carytown. I know that Peter Chang rumors are a dime-a-dozen, but the source seemed a little more reliable than idle speculation.

For those of you thinking of heading to Richmond to eat at his restaurant, a second downtown location would make a much nicer trip than his current Short Pump digs.

On my way back from Camp Lejeune yesterday, I stopped by Rappahannock Oysters to say hi to Katie, and to have dinner with my mom.

Man, that was some good eats.

We started with a dozen oysters on the half shell, split between three types. Then we had the appetizer special of fluke ceviche - for $12 it was a healthy portion with two pieces of bread. I couldn't have eaten it by myself, it was too rich.

My mom had seared tuna over kflegle (?), a sort of pasta. I tried it and thought it was good. I had the head on shrimp over quinoa, and loved it - the shrimp were huge and tasty, with a good bit of spice in the heads, and the quinoa, grilled peaches, and smoked honey went well together.

A dozen oysters, ceviche, two entrees, and two Goose Island beers each (they were doing a tap takeover but we both forgot our glasses) and it was $54 each before tip. Not bad for such great food. And easy to hit off 95 (and to get back on 95).

Any comments on Max's on Broad, Bistro 27 or current thoughts on Rappahanock Oyster? If you had to pick one, which would you and why? We're in need of some pre-concert grub in October.

Rappahanock hands down.  I've had three excellent meals there in the past few months.  They do oysters well of course, if that's your thing, but all of the seafood dishes I've had there have been very strong.  Good lively atmosphere and bar area would be fun for pre-concert.

In that same neighborhood, you may also wish to consider Pasture.  And there's the possibility that Graffiato will be open by October as well (website says Summer 2014, but last time I went by it looked like they had a lot of work to do.)

After being really impressed by the Rogue Gentlemen last fall, we made a weekend getaway to Richmond for a deeper dive of Richmonds restaurant scene.  genericeric kindly suggested a couple great places and we gathered other recommendations through Yelp perusal.

Favorite to least favorite

L'Opossum - sorta French with a lot of flair and playfulness.  The lobster taco with chef's surprise (a big hunk of seared foie gras) was awesome, as were lots of other things.

(The Rogue Gentlemen) - the latest visit wasn't our favorite because they ran out of a couple things that we really loved, but overall, this place is great and deserves to be packed every night.

Dog and Pig Show - best shrimp and grits I've ever had, and very good everything else.  This place tries a little too hard to be hip and trendy (I didn't have the heart to tell the proprietress that there is nowhere near enough light to grow herbs on her wall installation), but with food this good I won't complain.

Rappahannock - never ate at the DC branch but the Richmond branch is excellent

Roosevelt - delightful brunch, highly recommended

Magpie - overall a very good meal and a chill place.  But our Miyagi oysters all had shell fragments in them.

Sub Rosa - the breads are pretty good, the laminated dough pastries were very good, esp. the various croissant variations.  The selections are quite limited though.

Chow House - most of the menu was pretty solid, but the Korean beef didn't have great flavor and they gave out straight soy sauce to dress their house kale salad.

• Like 2

Would you all pick Rappahanock or Pasture for an early but leisurely dinner before a concert? I loved Rappahanock last fall, so I am thinking of going there, but Pasture also beckons. Anyone been to both?

I haven't been to Pasture. I love Rappahanock, and if that concert is at the National it is about as convenient as it gets. I'd also recommend the Rogue Gentleman and Saison, however, which are both within walking distance.