Scott Johnston

Richmond, VA

59 posts in this topic

Second The Rogue Gentleman rec. It is better than Rose's Luxury in my opinion. Especially if you enjoy craft cocktails.

Thanks for the suggestion. We're probably going to do Rappahannock again, but the cocktails look great. Maybe post-show depending on how late they stay open mid week. I am going to a death metal show at the canal club actually. Hopefully I survive the experience.

We were huge fans of the cocktails at both Rogue Gentleman and Saison.

I'd also strongly recommend the Roosevelt for dinner. It was our favorite meal when we were in Richmond earlier this year. Just fantastic.

Thanks for the suggestion. We're probably going to do Rappahannock again, but the cocktails look great. Maybe post-show depending on how late they stay open mid week. I am going to a death metal show at the canal club actually. Hopefully I survive the experience.

Send Buz Grossberg (FlaySlayer) a PM.

I was in the Glen Allen area on business the last couple of days and had take-away dinner last night from Cheng Du restaurant on West Broad Street in Henrico, out towards Short Pump (home of Peter Chang's restaurant, which people compare this place to). I just stumbled on it online, looking for sources of dinner, and started reading the menu, finding all these dishes that you just don't see on the typical lousy American-Sichuan restaurant menus. Then I looked at some Google and Yelp reviews, for what they're worth, but people were saying some really intriguing things, and posting some pretty alluring pictures (on Yelp). Most of the reviews were very strongly and plausibly favorable, and the unfavorable reviews mostly complained that the General Tsao's Chicken and the Fried Rice weren't up to par. Anyway, I placed an order on line for pickup. I ordered the spicy cucumber salad, the "Boiled Fish in Hot and Spicy Chili Sauce", and the "Chong Qing Spicy Chicken". I drove over to pick up the order, and the service was very strangely harried, especially given that the restaurant was at most half full at 8 pm on a Friday night. I ended up having to wait about ten minutes for my food, even though it was already packed up and ready to go. Anyway, I took it back to my hotel, and had a little feast. The cucumber salad was only so-so, but the other two dishes were superb. The chicken was a dry-fried dish, with morsels of chicken coated in rice flour or corn starch or something and fried till slightly crisp, and tossed with a prodigious amount of dried red chilies, plus garlic and sesame seeds and I don't know what else. Delicious. The boiled fish was soup-like, with lots of chunks of soft, moist, fresh-tasting fish of unknown type in an explosively tasty liquid, with various bits of vegetable. The food was nicely hot without being searingly so; I gather they'll tone the heat up or down on request. The three dishes came to about $42 including tax and tip, and could easily have served five people. I had a second dinner of it this evening, and there's still a lot more than half of it left. I'd love to return to this place, especially to dine in with several adventurous companions, but that would mean cultivating some adventurous companions and coaxing them all down to Richmond, which is unlikely to happen.

I just a spent a night on a business trip in Richmond and wanted to leave two quick recommendations: the Quirk Hotel for an excellent and hip hotel stay, and The Lab by Alchemy for excellent coffee with a knowledgeable barista. They use a rotating variety of roasters; it was Philadelphia's Reanimator when I was there.

I'm not recommending you go out of your way for Pearl Raw Bar. We had a nice dinner in their outdoor space, but the bites of everyone's fish I tried were variously too sweetly sauced or subobtimally cooked. And when we ordered two oyster samplers, the waitress left without identifying which varieties were which--a service mistake anywhere, but particularly regrettable at a raw bar.

I will be visiting Richmond for a weekend in Virginia. Do the recommendations in this thread still stand, or does anyone have any updates on the local restaurants?

Basically everything posted within the past year looks to still be valid except for Magpie. They closed towards the end of 2015, but Owen Lane opened Vagabond a few months ago, and won chef of the year at the local restaurant awards. L'Opossum was probably the best meal I've had this past year, but the acclaim it has gotten has made getting a reservation a little more difficult,

I'd be happy to help out if there's anything more specific you're looking for, gibmrm.

Here's the list of this year's winners

http://www.styleweekly.com/ShortOrderBlog/archives/2016/02/22/vagabonds-owen-lane-wins-chef-of-the-year-at-the-2016-elby-awards

1 person likes this

Basically everything posted within the past year looks to still be valid except for Magpie. They closed towards the end of 2015, but Owen Lane opened Vagabond a few months ago, and won chef of the year at the local restaurant awards. L'Opossum was probably the best meal I've had this past year, but the acclaim it has gotten has made getting a reservation a little more difficult,

I'd be happy to help out if there's anything more specific you're looking for, gibmrm.

Here's the list of this year's winners

http://www.styleweekly.com/ShortOrderBlog/archives/2016/02/22/vagabonds-owen-lane-wins-chef-of-the-year-at-the-2016-elby-awards

Many thanks. I will be in Richmond for 2 nights, so basically will be having 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners. I am particularly interested places that have/use local dishes, cuisines, products. Coming from Europe, I am less keen on going to 'European', 'French', 'Italian', and so on restaurants, even when they might be some of the best in town, just because I can eat those types of cuisines relatively easily. So with that in mind, if you have any other recommendations, let me know.

Many thanks. I will be in Richmond for 2 nights, so basically will be having 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners. I am particularly interested places that have/use local dishes, cuisines, products. Coming from Europe, I am less keen on going to 'European', 'French', 'Italian', and so on restaurants, even when they might be some of the best in town, just because I can eat those types of cuisines relatively easily. So with that in mind, if you have any other recommendations, let me know.

I haven't been to Edo's Squid in about three years, but it was truly a wonderful experience when I went - the squid itself is wonderful (order off the chalkboard "specials" menu), and the atmosphere is just *fun*.

I prefer the newer Buz & Ned's Barbecue to the original, even though it's slightly away from downtown - plus, you'll get to see the largest ceiling fan you've ever seen.

2 people like this