Dining in 14UP

We had a good brunch this morning here. The eggs with chorizo and morcilla hash was very filling, and well prepared. The spanish toast was delicious, according to my wife. One of our dining partners had the cheeseburger, and really enjoyed it.

Overall, the food was nice. The service was professional, but a bit distant, even though the restaurant was mostly empty.

Are there now so many restaurants on 14th street that they are cannibalizing each other?

Are there now so many restaurants on 14th street that they are cannibalizing each other?

Of course, and setting up shop at this point is certainly a high-risk strategy in the long-term. And also, for people like you and me, the area has become a daunting proposition when it comes to parking.

Cork was certainly a trailblazer, and they got in early enough to reap the benefits.

People need to remember that West End Bistro was *the* hottest restaurant in town, just a few years ago, and was talked about just as Le Diplomate is being talked about today.

Of course, and setting up shop at this point is certainly a high-risk strategy in the long-term. And also, for people like you and me, the area has become a daunting proposition when it comes to parking.

Cork was certainly a trailblazer, and they got in early enough to reap the benefits.

People need to remember that West End Bistro was *the* hottest restaurant in town, just a few years ago, and was talked about just as Le Diplomate is being talked about today.

There's a big difference between a restaurant getting hot and an area getting hot.  If restaurant A opens up next to restaurant B, and both are of roughly the same price/quality/style/"hotness" such that people are more or less indifferent between the two, then they will eat into each others' customer base unless that base can grow.  They're just fighting for bigger slices of the same pie.  But when an area gets hot the pie grows as well.  A couple of years ago a lot of people were saying "Hey, let's go to the West End Bistro" but were they ever saying "Hey, let's go to the West End"? I don't think so.

It's not to say that the 14th St. area (or any area) can't or won't ultimately lose its luster, but for now the (still) rising tide is lifting all boats, and economically it makes more not less sense for restaurants to jump on board.  (Similar in a way to the clustering effect generally - how it makes sense for auto dealership #12 to open up next to all the other ones, rather than stake out its own territory on the other side of town.)  I can't tell you how many times I've seen frustrated would-be-diners turned away from a packed Le Diplomate standing at 14th and Q and contemplating whether to try their luck at Pearl Dive, Etto, or Ghibellina, all within sight.  If I was at 22nd and L and got turned away from West End Bistro I probably jump in a cab and head somewhere else.

Openings in 14UP and its northern/southern suburbs since this was last updated (we can use threads for places not linked):

04/29/15 - Provision - Website

04/14/15 - Sette Osteria

04/06/15 - Maki Shop - Twitter

03/03/15 - Sotto

02/17/15 - Zombie Coffee & Donuts (Petworth) - Website

12/05/14 - Thip Khao (Petworth)

10/20/14 - Slipstream (Logan Circle)

09/21/14 - Taqueria Habanero (Petworth)

06/19/14 - Wydown

06/08/14 - Tico

06/02/14  - Lyman's Tavern (Petworth) - Website

03/23/14 - Amsterdam Falafelshop