Shopsin's, Lower East Side Diner at Essex Market on Essex and Delancey Street With a Huge Menu

I don't mean most items (though I wonder that too with the recent demise of Roy's Place in Gaithersburg), rather,

Who's got the BIGGEST menu?  As in...you sit down and you feel like God Him(Her)self just handed you The Tablets and your next move is to descend from the mountain?   As in...the menu/barrier dulls your senses; blocking all light, sounds and smells from you?   As in...you wonder what the restaurant is compensating for?

(note, this may belong in another area, or the trash bin  ;) )

I know it's not answering the original question but for sheer number of items on menu, gotta give a shout-out to Shopsin's in NYC's Lower East Side:

http://www.shopsins.com/

• Like 1

Oh Shopsins...what a crazy crazy place.  My favorite visit to Shopsins was when one of the Shopsin daughters (don't remember her name) came to us as we waited in line and told us we would be the last guests to be served and to inform anyone who came after us of that news.  Our group got to chatting and lost focus, and 3 or 4 more people got in line behind us.  The Shopsin returned, stopped our conversation by yelling "What the fuck is wrong with you people? I told you not to let anyone else in line!" She dismissed those behind us telling them to blame us for wasting their time...but then we had a lovely meal, and plenty of joking around with her and her dad.  I should note that we weren't regulars by any stretch...that's just how things rolled at Shopsins.

• Like 1

I have friends living on Rivington Street, around the corner from Essex Market, who used to own two restaurants on Clinton Street. They refuse to eat at Shopsin's because of hygiene concerns. The old Shopsin's location in the West Village was, according to my friends,"the filthiest restaurant they'd ever seen."

Holy cow - that Shopsin's menu is breathtaking.  About 50 soups, then a note to "ask for the full soup menu"

"I Like Killing Flies"- available on Netflix, & I love that menu, too, just to give me ideas.

They certainly use their page space economically.

I have friends living on Rivington Street, around the corner from Essex Market, who used to own two restaurants on Clinton Street. They refuse to eat at Shopsin's because of hygiene concerns. The old Shopsin's location in the West Village was, according to my friends,"the filthiest restaurant they'd ever seen."

Zora: Jinx! I'd think that because they're in the market, there are limits to how unhygienic they could be (I don't know this; it's just a guess).