Rocco's Italian Restaurant - The Juliano Family Now In Its Third Generation of Ownership in Downtown McLean

I've rather enjoyed my 2 trips to Rocco's. It delivers exactly what you'd expect from a suburban, downtown, dive Italian eatery. It's also quite accommodating to families with small children, in the sense that they and their behavior aren't likely to disrupt what this place is going for.

As for the food, it's"¦decent. On my first trip I ordered a plain cheese, but the waitress brought me the wrong pie, so I had a surprising go at their white pizza. I liked it quite a bit, very garlicky, and I would get it again. On my second trip I got the plain pizza, and it was just OK. Actually, the crust and sauce were fine, but the cheese didn't offer much flavor. A better cheese might make this a quality pizza. The oven and the way they cook them isn't the problem here.

The table next to mine got one of their deep dish pizzas, and it looked legit. There was a nice char on the side-wall of crust. Another table got an order of chicken parm (I believe), and it also looked just like an order of chicken parm should at a dive Italian family restaurant "“ huge portion, lots of melted and somewhat blackened cheese, served with a side of spaghetti. I admit, I was intrigued.

Anyway, I feel like these kinds of divey, family restaurants are a dying breed, yet they are a vital part of the restaurant ecosystem, particularly (as I'm now finding) for those with small children (my boy's 2.5).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I went to Rocco’s when I first moved to McLean in 2003 and I’ve never been back.   Maybe I’ll go try their South Philly Hoagie or linguine with clam sauce.

Don't bother. If you don't like their pasta dishes, you won't like much else.