Recommend a coffee thermos?

Rhone1998

Lately I've been making coffee at home and taking it with me to work.  The thermos I have has great insulation, and will keep the coffee hot for hours, but imparts a gross metallic taste after just a little while that makes it pretty much unusable.  Does anyone use a thermos they particularly recommend?

Sounds like you might have a stainless-steel-lined thermos. Those generally perform the best, but I've heard people sometimes complain about a metallic aftertaste. The solution that comes to mind would be to try out a glass-lined thermos. They may not hold heat as well, but they shouldn't impart much of a taste. Other pros: they are usually the "cheap" thermos bottles (compared to stainless); other cons: they are more fragile.

Fantastic quest!  To save time and assure quality, I also brew my own at home.  The challenge is I like my coffee screaming hot.  I was also running into the metallic taste, not hot enough, too leaky, too unwieldy, and other issues with various solutions until I finally nailed a KMango-worthy courier method.

I drive in sipping a cup from this, but without the handle.  I found that at Target of all places.  The faux leather seems to add more insulation than other mugs, and looks nice if I get yanked into a meeting.  The lid locks like it means it, won't leak unless it's a defective one.

My thermos can then be smaller, because it's for a second and/or third cup.  I used a 16-ounce Thermos Nissan bullet (fits more easily in briefcase) for over a decade, and loved it.  When the outer film wore out, it broke off in patches, which lead me to fondly refer to it as the thermos leper.  I finally moved on to discover this small Thermos which I have enjoyed for months.  I never use the tea attachment but it's a nifty option if you are a steeper.  Zero metal taste in the mug or either thermos, but manufacturing defects and low quality stainless can happen, I wonder if that's what you have experienced.

During my quest, I searched the web far and wide.  Was hard for me to pull the trigger site unseen although there are some fascinating designs out there, especially from Scandinavia.  The most diverse varieties of small thermoses in one place seemed to be at Target, Wal-Mart, and other big box stores which I normally avoid but this is a critical daily ritual!  If you find another great solution, share the news.

A glass-lined vacuum flask (A.K.A. thermos which is actually a brand name) has better thermal properties and is easier to keep clean, but they are bulkier and much easier to break.

The best option I have found are the Zojirushi thermal flasks. They have amazing heat retention, are durable and although steel, have a teflon inner lining that protect against the metallic off-taste of unlined S/S.

A glass-lined vacuum flask (A.K.A. thermos which is actually a brand name) has better thermal properties and is easier to keep clean, but they are bulkier and much easier to break.

The best option I have found are the Zojirushi thermal flasks. They have amazing heat retention, are durable and although steel, have a teflon inner lining that protect against the metallic off-taste of unlined S/S.

I read the Sweethome review of the Zojirushi flask, and while they looked at heat retention, durability, size, etc., they didn't actually include taste as a criteria at all. They also didn't mention any Teflon lining, and the product description on Amazon doesn't mention it either (and in fact specifically says it's not lined.)

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-KHE48AG-Stainless-Steel-16-Ounce/dp/B005PO9T44/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1389225410&sr=1-6&keywords=zojirushi+thermal+carafe

Could one stainless steel container impart a taste and another not? I guess in the end, I don't really care what it's made of so long as it's safe, it keeps the beverage hot, and it doesn't make it taste funky. You guys are pretty happy with your Zojirushis?

It looks like the newest Zojirushi model (SM-KHE36/48) has a "SlickSteel" interior...whatever that is. Others, like this and this (built in tea filter!), have a non-stick coated interior.

My guess is the quality of the steel and finish (nonstick or not) can be a big reason for a steel-y taste or not (or whether the person filled it with acidic salt water or something).

^ I want that built in tea filter for long flights.  They always have hot water, and rarely have good tea.

Rhone 1998, what is the brand of your current model?  My Nissan is at least ten years old, and its last use was at Halloween holding mulled wine for the adults' table.  That's pretty acidic, and we had no taste transfer issues.

Rhone 1998, what is the brand of your current model?  My Nissan is at least ten years old, and its last use was at Halloween holding mulled wine for the adults' table.  That's pretty acidic, and we had no taste transfer issues. 

Ha, I had to look, because I couldn't even remember where we got the thing.  And now I think I see why it gives the bad taste, as it's advertised as a bottle and food warmer, not necessarily something for holding drinks.

http://www.tommeetippee.us/product/travel-bottle-and-food-warmer/

I think I need an upgrade. :P

Another vote for the Zojirushi travel mug here.  It keeps my coffee/tea steaming hot, it has never leaked, and its really slick looking.  I haven't noticed any off flavors.  I also like that the top easily comes apart for cleaning (there's a video in the amazon reviews).