Operation: Free JP Caceres

DonRocks

JP is a beloved industry member who has been detained at a U.S. Immigration Detention Center in Farmville, VA since December 19th.

He is President of the DC Chapter of the United States Bartenders Guild and a Facebook friend of mine.

Please click here and read the details, and consider opening up your wallets.

---

To those involved with the project: the best thing you could do for JP is to get him a lawyer who is sympathetic with his case, and will work at a greatly discounted rate. Can you assure potential donors that this is happening? People would feel much more comfortable knowing this.

My attitude when I read about JP's predicament was: "open my wallet first; ask questions later." I opened my wallet, and now I'm asking the obvious question. There may well be attorneys in this town who would help JP at something approaching pro bono - please keep donors informed as to how this is being handled. There are hundreds of attorneys here on donrockwell.com (Marshall? Marni?), and I suspect some would gladly step in and help. We *all* want this to have a happy ending!

Juan Dominguez, if you see this, could you write me at donrockwell@dcdining.com? I'll try to hook you up if you need help. Reaching the $7,500 goal will be achieved, I can already tell; spending that money wisely now needs to become a high priority. I wonder if the USBG has some connections in immigration law.

---

ETA - As of 6 AM this morning, this effort has raised $9,000. It's unclear what will be done with any extra money - I'm waiting on an announcement, and will share it with everyone when I find out something.

Edited by DonRocks

This is awesome. His picture I so familiar, but I cannot place him. Can anyone tell me where he's worked?

I've been in hundreds of bars/restaurants in DC but frequent none. I am sure I've bumped into him (maybe at mutiple places) and if anyone knows where he worked, hopefully it will jar my (and others) memory.

Brian

This is awesome. His picture I so familiar, but I cannot place him. Can anyone tell me where he's worked?

I've been in hundreds of bars/restaurants in DC but frequent none. I am sure I've bumped into him (maybe at mutiple places) and if anyone knows where he worked, hopefully it will jar my (and others) memory.

Brian

Brian, in terms of restaurants, I think JP has done only consulting work of late. He did the cocktails at Del Campo and MXDC, and I know he was working some shifts at BourbonSteak as well (he's friends with Victor Albisu). He's the Pisco Portí³n Ambassador, and also the President of the DC chapter of the United States Bartenders' Guild (USBG).

Source: PoPville

jp_caceres_deportation_fight.jpg

Image: PoPville

PoPville reports that beloved DC mixologist JP Caceres is currently being held in a United States Immigration detention center in Farmville, VA and has been there since December, 19th. He is set to be deported within the next 3 to 6 weeks. Caceres was born in Bolivia and immigrated to the United States in 2001, originally on a work visa. However, the visa expired, and Caceres has been unable to obtain US citizenship. A fund has been set up for his defense, called Operation Free JP. Contributions to the fund have already far exceeded the original goal of $7500.

The news was originally broken yesterday by Don Rockwell, who notes "My attitude when I read about JP's predicament was: "˜open my wallet first; ask questions later.'" Rockwell is also soliciting names of attorneys who would like to volunteer in Caceres' defense.

Read full article >>

Get all the news at DCDiningGuide.com >>

Since I posted this two nights ago, PoPVille, Washington City Paper, Washingtonian, Washington Post, and Eater DC picked up on the story. There's no need for me to keep this in a separate forum at this point, so I'll move this thread into the News and Media forum sometime today.

Remember: If someone genuinely needs help, for a variety of reasons, you can always count on donrockwell.com to be out on the front lines, leading by example - you know where to find me.

Cheers,

Rocks