Pizzeria Paradiso, Founder Ruth Gresser's Pizzerias with a Good Beer Selection

My friend Thor Cheston, who is a manager at Paradiso, is going to be heading up this project of theirs. Thor is a beer enthusiast of the first order, and this should be exciting! Drop by and say, "Hello!" and have a great beer on draught and some of this city's best pizza.

3282 M St., NW Washington, DC 202-337-1245

Pizzeria Paradiso Georgetown is proud to introduce Birreria Paradiso, a sixteen tap draft bar featuring 80 bottled selections of microbrews, artisinal and handcrafted beers from around the world. Enjoy pilsners, ales, lagers, and stouts in our newly renovated lower level dining room and bar, where you will be able to feast on our Quattro Formaggi Pizza and a Belgian tripel like Gouden Carolus, or a Bosco Pizza and a Saison Dupont on draft. Then, top off your meal with our vanilla gelato paired with North Coast's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. We will be offering our complete menu, wine list, and a full bar in addition to the new selection of beers. Most of our longtime favorites are available, including Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, Dogfish Head's 60-minute IPA on tap, and Moretti and Amstel Light in bottles. We will also be serving some standards like Corona,, Miller Lite and Samuel Adams. All of the new beers will also be available in the main dining room upstairs.

I'd like to know how they fit Miller Lite into that PR though .

It'll be in the "We pretty much have to" section of the menu. :lol: Seen bottles of Miller go by at the Brick even. It is true what they say: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink decent beer.

This is very exciting, though.

I believe the "Birreria Paradiso" is on the lower level of the current Pizzeria.

I had an incredible German Doppelbock with my Atomica Pizza this past Friday night. Our waitress said that the staff there has undergone extensive training (two evenings of tasting 40+ beers!!!) to become knowledgeable about the various brews that will be available. Wasn't open that night - I think tonight is the opening....

(Luckily I work in Georgetown!!!) :lol:

Pretty good crowd for the first night. Seemed like many were friends of the staff, but hey it is a Monday night. Nice space with a fireplace with seats and a coffee type table in front of it. Sat at the bar and enjoyed a variety of beers with a starter of a bean and tuna salad and finished with some pizza. I started with a large pour Rouge Shakespeare Stout (Some of the beers are offered in 10 oz. and 20 oz. pours) before realizing that they have a cask on tap. Tonight's flavor was the Clipper City Uber Pils on cask that was fresh and wonderful.

They will be rotating beers on the cask as they said that they have some European kegs ordered. Overall a decent looking beer list but I will leave the details to Shogun as he has more knowledge in this area than I. This is going to be a great spot for a DR.com HH.

Joe R -- Thor says hi!

Amazing. Just...beautiful. This is half way to fsck the Brickskeller. If The Brick is 'Here are 700 beers from around the world', B.P. is 'here are 96 of the best ~200 beers in the world." The beer list is well represented (maybe even wighted-to a bit) by Belgians and Belgian-styles (Allegash, Ommegangs). There is also a beer-engine/cask special. Today was a hand-pull of Clipper City 'Small Craft Warning'. Very nice room. Seating at the bar plus tables, and nice chairs around a fireplace.

Edited for: Details?! Alright, details tomorrow.

Edited by shogun

How cool of a name is Thor! It's like being named Zeus!

"I lifted weights for two hours yesterday, and when I woke up this morning, I was really Thor."

17 drafts, with the astonishing Clipper City Small Craft Warning pulled from the pump.

56 ales, divided into 16 useful and informative categories.

14 lagers in 3 categories.

Alert, alert: go to Birreria Paradiso NOW, because it's the best place in town to drink beer. What a great bar! 10 seats, with another 25-or-so in the surrounding area.

It's going to be overrun by crowds (remember I said this), but for the next few days or weeks, it's just a fabulous venue for beer lovers.

When the Clipper City cask expires - probably in about five days - they're going to be replacing it with something from Victory. Make sure to remind Thor not to shake the next cask up before tapping into it. :lol:

I'm not sure I've ever had a better Weizen Bock than his recommended Schneider and Sohn "Aventinus."

Thor loves Belgian-style Saison, and was raving about the Brasserie DuPont "Saison DuPont Vielle[sic?] Reserve." I often find the banana aromas in these beers offputting, but that's strictly personal preference (*).

When I asked for a beer list, Thor left his busy station and disappeared for several minutes - then emerged, beer list in hand, hot off the presses. And I mean that almost literally: He was kind enough to go and print me out a copy, and it was still warm from the printer.

Cheers!

Rocks

(*) Once upon a time, there was a small child who took spearmint-flavored pills twice a day for several years, and as an adult, still can't cozy up to the flavors of spearmint. The banana aromas - which come from the specific yeasts used in the brewing process - remind me of what I sometimes used to find in the inexplicably and terminally overrated wines from Georges Duboeuf - The Whore Of Beaujolais.

Thor loves Belgian-style Saison, and was raving about the Brasserie DuPont "Saison DuPont Vielle[sic?] Reserve."  I often find the banana aromas in these beers offputting, but that's strictly personal preference (*).

That was just about my exact quote on Monday night. This Friday's HH must be here! I was not a fan of the Aventius myself, but my friend loved it.

Should we be expecting Thor 'God of Thunder' to become a new member soon?

BTW, how many times did Thor hit is head on the ceiling?

Edited by mdt

Hopefully today's mention in the WP blog won't pack the place.

I'm pretty sure the comment surrounding the stove (being gas not wood-burning)is accurate... I hope they know what sort of insectae they've invited into their bar by having all that wood out there drying out :lol: My wife noticed a few ants running around.

This place is great and is sure to become a popular place to dodge tourists very soon. Wish they took amex.

today's mention in the WP blog
Ah crap, here we go... :lol:

Yeah, I don't recall there being ashtrays at the bar. Could be an oversight of the first night, so don't get your hopes up or down just yet! Editorialized to add: I can't imagine having a couple smokers in that little room...it'd have nowhere to go! :huh:

Ah crap, here we go... :lol:

Yeah, I don't recall there being ashtrays at the bar.  Could be an oversight of the first night, so don't get your hopes up or down just yet!  Editorialized to add: I can't imagine having a couple smokers in that little room...it'd have nowhere to go!  :)

I will bring a cigar on Friday and see what happens. Could be a good way to thin the potential crowds! :huh:

Stopped in last night after reading about the bar here. I have to say the beer was delicious. I had the Saison DuPont Vielle Reserve and the Clipper City Uber Pils draughts. Mmmm. Mmmmmm Good ! The bar looked nice, I didn't sit at it due to talking my wife into going out for dinner, but I could imagine some nice quality time there. The room was fairly ordinary, wooden table and chairs, exposed ceiling, a small area for the fireplace. Unfortunately pizza service wasn't good. First we were brought someone else's order which we began to eat, then when we were going to question what was brought to us, our pizza was brought out. Our pizza was burnt in areas on the top, and not in a good way

Wife was not happy, I was reveling in the beer. Thor waited on us and seemed a young affable fellow.

I'd say on first glance that the bar and the beer are the place to be.

BD

PS I noticed no smoke in the place from tobacco.

Stopped in last night after reading about the bar here. I have to say the beer was delicious. I had the Saison DuPont Vielle Reserve and the Clipper City Uber Pils draughts. Mmmm. Mmmmmm Good ! The bar looked nice, I didn't sit at it due to talking my wife into going out for dinner, but I could imagine some nice quality time there. The room was fairly ordinary, wooden table and chairs, exposed ceiling, a small area for the fireplace. Unfortunately pizza service wasn't good. First we were brought someone else's order which we began to eat, then when we were going to question what was brought to us, our pizza was brought out. Our pizza was burnt in areas on the top, and not in a good way

Wife was not happy, I was reveling in the beer. Thor waited on us and seemed a young affable fellow.

I'd say on first glance that the bar and the beer are the place to be.

BD

PS I noticed no smoke in the place from tobacco.

The pizzas on Monday were pretty darn good and we will be conducting more QC studies tomorrow evening.

My friend Thor Cheston, who is a manager at Paradiso, is going to be heading up this project of theirs.  Thor is a beer enthusiast of the first order, and this should be exciting! Drop by and say, "Hello!" and have a great beer on draught and some of this city's best pizza.

3282 M St., NW Washington, DC 202-337-1245

Joe. Thank you for sharing with us what is easily now the best beer bar in DC. I'd sooner shove a an umbrella up my ass and open it than drink at Brickskeller and RFD and I would be honored if PP/BP decided to run an ad that said: "Crescentfresh is one of the 4 out of 5 beer drinkers who would rather shove an umbrella up his ass and open it than drink at DA's places."

Ok. There is nothing else in this city or within 50 miles (and probably more) touching this joint. Dave Alexander, I hope you're reading this because you should be embarrassed as all shit. This two-week old operation has surpassed you on every level except quantity. BP is now the KING of all that is mixed of hops, malt, yeast and water.

So, now that I'm done with my unsurprising blast on that shit bar on 23rd street, here's what I like about BP. Two things. 1) Their cask beer from the beer engine is pulled at 55 degrees. Cellar temperature. 2) Thor Cheston. I've talked to him a couple times now in his bar. Assessing knowledge, interest, vision, taste. Thor is the real deal and he wants to do it right. I think he takes all comments and suggestions very seriously.

I wish only a few things for BP. I wish you were ground level. I want to look out the window and not feel like i'm in some dude's basement. I wish you'd charge a couple more dollars for your Miller Lite and its ilk and drop the price of a serious pint by a buck. Those fuckers drinking Bud in your bar should be subsidizing my beer.

And THE SALMON ARE RUNNING!

Edited by CrescentFresh

Ok.  There is nothing else in this city or within 50 miles (and probably more) touching this joint.  Dave Alexander, I hope you're reading this because you should be embarrassed as all shit. 

This is most definately a great place and by far the best place in D.C.. However if we are talking within 50 miles, there are are at least 3-4 places in Baltimore, that this place could not hold a candle to. Have you been to Max's on Broadway, Brewer's Art, Mahaffey's, Wharf Rat, etc..

I agree that DA's places are both really subpar establishments, but D.C. is just not a very good beer town.

This is most definately a great place and by far the best place in D.C..  However if we are talking within 50 miles, there are are at least 3-4 places in Baltimore, that this place could not hold a candle to.  Have you been to Max's on Broadway, Brewer's Art, Mahaffey's, Wharf Rat, etc.. 

I agree that DA's places are both really subpar establishments, but D.C. is just not a very good beer town.

Point taken. Haven't sampled Baltimore. So let's say that BP is king inside the beltway.

How cool of a name is Thor!  It's like being named Zeus!

"I lifted weights for two hours yesterday, and when I woke up this morning, I was really Thor."

Thor gets tired of hanging out in Vlahalla and decides to go clubbing one Friday night. Being a Norse deity and all he is in the arms of a comely brunetter within minutes and back at her place within the hour. They go at it hammer and tong for hours, days even, until finally during a smoke break he remembers his manners and decides to introduce himself. "I just wanted to let you know, I'm Thor," he says.

"You're thore? I'm tho thore I can hardly pith."

Man, that's good beer.

The Duchesse and the Saison were lovely, but the real hit at our table was the Bluebird Bitter. And the ability to do the 3- or 4-beer flight was a hit as well.

Really glad we decided to check it out at 6 on a Saturday because it was packed-and-a-half by the time we left. They must send folks down from upstairs to wait for upstairs tables because the number of children present was, well, higher than you'd expect in a bar.

CrescentFresh and I were there on Friday night around 7:30. It was pretty busy, and somewhat understaffed. We waited 10 minutes before we could even get a bartender's attention, but then a couple of seats opened up at the bar, and we were fine from there.

Definitely a quality beer list, if a little too weighted towards the Belgians. However, the HAND PUMP WAS EMPTY, leaving us to the regular taps for our brew.

My only complaint is that it is in Georgetown, which means it is neither parking nor Metro friendly, which is a PITA for us suburbanites. Since I'm far more likely to be at the MCI Center than Georgetown, I'll probably land up patronizing RFD more than BP.

Clearly I don't hate Bricks and RFP as much as CrescentFresh...

Jlock and I were there Friday as well, and overall had a wonderful experience. I am not really a beer person, but I greatly enjoyed the Belgian tasting before moving back to my standard red wine. Jlock enjoyed all of his beers but I believe the Bluebird Bitter was also his favorite. The pizza was good as always. And, we also enjoyed speaking with DanielK and CresentFresh.

My only complaint is that they are understaffed. There was only one bartender working at 7:30 on Friday night. He was excellent when he had the chance to turn to us, but he was so busy that we went long periods without a drink even at the bar.

Man, that's good beer.

The Duchesse and the Saison were lovely, but the real hit at our table was the Bluebird Bitter. And the ability to do the 3- or 4-beer flight was a hit as well.

Really glad we decided to check it out at 6 on a Saturday because it was packed-and-a-half by the time we left. They must send folks down from upstairs to wait for upstairs tables because the number of children present was, well, higher than you'd expect in a bar.

You have hit on a problem that I think they have with that space. First off, the beer selection is excellent and I will gladly return for that. But...the space is too small to be used as a waiting area for seating. I think the should remove all the tables and replace them with the tall bar tables on a first come first served basis. Why can't they use the upstairs bar for that? They should reserve the downstairs for people that want to enjoy the beer and grab a bite to eat. Of course why should they change, I am sure that they are making money hand over fish. It is just a selfish wish that I have.

Says the guy who is 9 feet tall.  Those of us whose legs aren't quite as long can't stand those tall tables :lol:

I think that's your million-dollar-idea: SHORT tall bar tables!

I think the point was just to remove the booths, 4-tops, and chairs, which take up too much space per person in that small room.

They could turn the divider into a bar/rail with stools, and do the same all around the outside of the room, and the number of people that space could hold would double.

Of course, they'd then actually have to hire some waitstaff to work the room...

I think that's your million-dollar-idea: SHORT tall bar tables!

I think the point was just to remove the booths, 4-tops, and chairs, which take up too much space per person in that small room.

They could turn the divider into a bar/rail with stools, and do the same all around the outside of the room, and the number of people that space could hold would double.

Of course, they'd then actually have to hire some waitstaff to work the room...

Exactly. I don't care what they are replaced with, but to use the tables down there as part of the regular restaurant does not make sense to me if you are marketing it as a beer lovers paradise. I overheard a couple of people talking about how they love the beer selection, but hate the fact that a seat cannot be found.

Of course why should they change, I am sure that they are making money hand over fish. 

Well, the way I see it, by having BP downstairs they've now converted themselves into two different destinations at one location. Now they're bringing in people, like me, who go there because it's a beer destination and the pizza is a nice bonus. However, the apparent lack of effort or interest in making a distinction between upstairs and downstairs, except for the beer variety available downstairs, will quickly turn the place into a downer for me. My most recent visit was one where I left with a negative rather than positive feeling about the place. The Bluebird does kick ass. Won best beer in Britain a number of years ago, although it's poured differently there.

As for service? Wow. Suck-a-roni. Bartender was deep in the weeds and no help or backup to be found. And not only was the dude working the customer bar, he was also working the service bar. And when you're only one guy, and you've got customers ordering mixed drinks, too.......My, where does the time and patience go?

To quote a friend who was there recently, "Way too many fucking GTown yipsters in that place." That's the truth. And I hope they charged $6 to that kid drinking the Yuengling the other night!

With luck BP will show signs of changing the direction it's going. I sure hope so. If they want to make it a place that celebrates great beer, I'll go regularly. If they want to make it an overflow lounge for the pizza operation, I'm going to Rustica (opening in March :lol: ).

However, the apparent lack of effort or interest in making a distinction between upstairs and downstairs, except for the beer variety available downstairs, will quickly turn the place into a downer for me. 

I'm pretty sure they said that even the special taps that exist only downstairs can still be ordered from the upstairs dining room.

How is the glassware situation at BP? Are the beers poured in their proper glasses?

One of the thing that really annoys me about places like Brickskellar is the serious disregard for putting beer in its proper glass. I want my Leffe in a Leffe glass, my Chimay in a Chimay glass and so on.

How is the glassware situation at BP?  Are the beers poured in their proper glasses? 

One of the thing that really annoys me about places like Brickskellar is the serious disregard for putting beer in its proper glass.  I want my Leffe in a Leffe glass, my Chimay in a Chimay glass and so on.

That is one thing that they do very well.

I overheard a couple of people talking about how they love the beer selection, but hate the fact that a seat cannot be found.

Last Sunday the place was pretty dead around 7:30ish. But perhaps that was a Washingtonian snow freak out and was a misrepresentation of how it should have been.

I was thinking: Maybe there should be a night (or certain hours) dedicated to the more serious beer geeks. A night where all the professors of beer stalk the losers walking from the Rhino with all that Bud on their breath...and chase them down to Caddy's Alley and burp in their face, and say, 'How's the pee, yippie?"

I'm more of a wino myself, but I certainly do have an appreciation for good thoughfully selected and actually stocked beer.

No pun intended, but I found it to be drafty in there. I'm tired of eating dinner in my damn jacket.

Well, a thousand lashes with a wet mung-rag to me for not getting down there sooner, but tonight I FINALLY made it down there, and I'm ashamed that I haven't been sooner.

Thor was on hand to provide excellent direction on the beer choices. I decided to do a tour of 8 of the 12 draught beers currently available downstairs.

I began with Saison Dupont, the perfect beer to cleanse the palate and get started with. It's exceedingly well-made.

Then the Gouden Carolus Tripel - one of the most freaking GORGEOUS beers I've ever had! Beautiful aroma, medium bodied and incredible balance on the palate. I could drink this all night long.

Then Russian River Brewing Company "Pliny the Elder". Very tasty.

Then Liefman's Kriek, an awesome brew with the most balanced cherry flavors in any cherry flavored beer I've ever had. The aromas were heavenly. I have a serious jones for this beer now.

Then Beer Republic Red Rocket Ale. By now I was a little schwilly, but this was awfully good stuff.

Then Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Yum. I'm such a hop-head, this was quite the treat.

Then Ommegang Hennepin, which I've enjoyed in bottles but on draught it took on a whole new dimension. Belgium beer done right here in Cooperstown, NY.

Finally, Weinheinstephan Hefeweisen. It isn't for nothing that Napoleon called these beers the "Champagne of the North" when he marched through Bavaria. With a little lemon around the rim, it was summer in a glass. Just heavenly.

I had all of this with a pannini and some meats and cheeses and olives. My stomach was very grateful.

I am SUCH a happy man tonight, and I can't wait to go back. The non-draught beer list is so extensive, I can't imagine that anyone who even occasionally enjoys a beer can't find something to love.

Please drop by if you haven't been yet and say "hello" to Thor and Darrel. They will guide you on a beer safari if you allow them to. Well worth the trip.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I got dropped off there by a friend and I departed Georgetown by taxi :lol:

You mean you actually DRANK all that and didn't spit it out???  Or, is the spitting part just for wine geeks?

(Ha!) Barbara, I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs. I drank all of that, at least 5.5 oz. of each beer. When I'm relaxing (and paying for it!) I refuse to spit.

I had bothersome lower back pain when I got there, but not when I departed :lol:

For those who don't subscribe to the BP email, the message below just came out. You can probably just send an email to info@eatyourpizza.com to subscribe. Fritz Hahn's column in today's weekend section of the Post was probably the first time I ever thought Hahn to be 100% right on about a place I'd been to. In a nutshell he says, BP is a serious beer place for serious beer people....as long as you go on a weekday. Don't even bother on a weekend.

------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

This week we have a really cool tap line up that includes Chimay Cinq

Cents, Unibroue Maudite, Ommegang Hennepin, Saison DuPont, DFH 60

Minute, DFH 90 Minute, Weihenstephan Hefewiezen, Bear Republic Red

Rocket Ale, Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial

Stout, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Russian River Pliny the Elder, Jever

Pilsner, Liefmans Kriek, Gouden Carolus Tripel (refermented in the

keg) and pouring from our cask engine is Clipper City Loose Cannon.

On tap soon we will have Anderson Valley Winter Solstice, St.

Bernardus Abt. 12, Duchesse de Bourgogne and Ommegang Three Philosophers

We just got our own Randall the Enamel Animal from Dogfish Head. I

will let everyone know when we get it up and running.

I hope you all get a chance to see our write up in the Weekend

section of the Washington Post today.

See you all soon, and have a great weekend!!!

Thor Cheston

Manager

Paradise Too, LLC

Birreria Paradiso

3282 M Street, NW

Washington, DC 20007

Dupont Circle: (202) 223 1245

Georgetown: (202) 337 1245

Administrative Office: (202) 337 4936

Fax: (202) 337 4935

info@eatyourpizza.com

No cask on my last visit. I will need to learn to call ahead and check. It would also be nice if they could perhaps put a little cask on their webpage that's green for when it's on or red for when it's off. Kinda like the food disk at Fogo de Chao, but for mass quantities of beer rather than meat.

No cask on my last visit.  I will need to learn to call ahead and check.  It would also be nice if they could perhaps put a little cask on their webpage that's green for when it's on or red for when it's off.  Kinda like the food disk at Fogo de Chao, but for mass quantities of beer rather than meat.

Oh yeah, like it is a problem considering the huge number of other great beers that they have. :)