313 replies to this topic

#301 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

So I am thinking about making the above cake again.  I thought about subbing zucchini for the banana, as I don't have any bananas and have a huge zucchini that I think will be best shredded.  I will post in the comments of the cake, but anyone have any thoughts on this not being a good idea?

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#302 bettyjoan

bettyjoan

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

I am currently having way too much fun with the Washington Post cookie issue.  First up was honeyed sriracha cookies - they are really different, sweet on the front end with a subtle spice that grows as you eat.  I'm also going to try my hand at the gluten-free chai-spiced snickerdoodles and the raspberry pomegranite bars.  I love that the holiday season gives me a good excuse to bake a zillion cookies and then share them with colleagues and friends.  :D

#303 DaveO

DaveO

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

Going back to comments made far earlier, I've been completely wowed by the chocolate bars in a panera chococlate pastry.   They are from guittard, arriving in a wholesale delivery, visible in this video  and delivered wholesale.

Per guittard's web site their chocolate chips and baking bars are available at Whole Foods and Wegmans.  Just wonderful chocolate.

#304 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

I had to vent somewhere, even though my lemon tea cakes turned out well for little man's class's Valentine's Day tea party, but boy, coconut flour is not easy to work with!

Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#305 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

I had to vent somewhere, even though my lemon tea cakes turned out well for little man's class's Valentine's Day tea party, but boy, coconut flour is not easy to work with!

Although, I must say it is nice to have this option to use to accommodate for a diabetic child and a nut-allergic child in his class.

In Paleo cooking, coconut flour and almond flour are the two most common stand-ins for wheat and other grains. While almond flour used for fried chicken wouldn't be mistaken for the real thing, it can be good. I recently had a slice of homemade coffee cake made with coconut flour which was very good. Could share that recipe here if anyone is interested.

#306 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hm. I have edited my statement, in case I have misspoke regarding health in relation to coconut flour. Apologies to those I have offended.

My frustration in working with coconut flour still stands, though.

Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#307 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

^ The thing with both coconut and almond flours is that they add extra fat to the mix, and some recipes just don't hold up with extra fat.  (I'll spare everyone the gory details of how I know that.)  You can either dial back the butter (or coconut oil) in your regular cake-y recipes which will be a trial and error process, or find a recipe already tweaked for these flours.  European tortes, financiers, and other nut-based things are the only types I've found will convert with no clear difference in texture. 

#308 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

Planned for tonight, dessert for a friend who loves sour cherries: mini pâte sucrée shells with cherry pie filling (made from sour cherries I froze last summer).  I made rather too much pâte sucrée, so I cut out some rounds, then cut heart shapes out of half the rounds, and baked.  Today I'm going to sandwich them with ganache, then fill the heart-shaped holes with a little cherry filling.  Did a test run last night from the heart-shaped cookies; tasted like Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies, but waaay better, and with cherry.

• zoramargolis, rkduggins, darkstar965 and 1 other like this

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

http://elizaberryblog.wordpress.com/

#309 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, this worked.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

• DonRocks, Pat and LauraB like this

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#310 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

Yeah, this worked.

The filling on the left and middle is chocolate ganache, and on the right is cherry pie? What do you call these delectable treats? Oh, wait a minute: You're going to have ganache all the way through the milddle, and then fill the empty portion of the top heart with cherry pie, having a chocolate-ganace sour-cherry-pie cookie? YUM! Will you have a couple of extras?

I vaguely remember you saying pâte sucrée is your favorite pastry crust - is that true?

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#311 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

[A question as an infrequent reader, visitor, and moderator about this thread: I'm tempted, and my instinct tells me, that the previous three posts should be split off into a topic called Chocolate-Ganache Sour-Cherry Cookies, and let porcupine's recipe stand alone and be searchable. Or would that violate this thread? I'll do whatever you all want; it just seems such a waste to have things such as this buried in here when I could put links to the new posts, and have everything at most one click away. What do you want me to do? Nothing? Maybe I could work at the beginning instead of the end so it's less noticeable? I can *always* undo what I'm working on, if people don't like it. I believe being searchable and able to be found is important for both future users, and recipe authors alike, but I'm going to defer to you, and if it ain't broke, I don't want to fix it. Thoughts? The "Polyphonic Blog" was my own idea, but it really throws everything together into the same mixing bowl (the I-95 interchange project was called <<la moulinette>> in French), and doesn't give recipes such as this their due. What would Food52 do? My goal is to be efficient, usable, and cook-friendly while at the same time doing nothing to lose any group camaraderie that might have formed as a result of this thread.]

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#312 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

The filling on the left and middle is chocolate ganache, and on the right is cherry pie? What do you call these delectable treats? Oh, wait a minute: You're going to have ganache all the way through the milddle, and then fill the empty portion of the top heart with cherry pie, having a chocolate-ganace sour-cherry-pie cookie? YUM! Will you have a couple of extras?

I vaguely remember you saying pâte sucrée is your favorite pastry crust - is that true?

The picture shows stages of assembly.  Left: ganache spread on a pâte sucrée cookie; center: a cutout cookie placed on top; right, the heat-shaped hole filled with cherry pie filling.  What do I call them?  I dunno... "something I whipped up to bring to my friend who loves sour cherries"?  I don't name my creations...  except I do actually have one known in a circle of friends as "Erika's birthday cake" (six layers of devils food cake with raspberry buttercream filling and chocolate buttercream icing).

Pâte sucrée is not my favorite, but it has its applications.  I'm nuts for pâte brisée, and use it a lot.  It's more versatile.

[A question as an infrequent reader, visitor, and moderator about this thread: I'm tempted, and my instinct tells me, that the previous three posts should be split off into a topic called Chocolate-Ganache Sour-Cherry Cookies, and let porcupine's recipe stand alone and be searchable. Or would that violate this thread? I'll do whatever you all want; it just seems such a waste to have things such as this buried in here when I could put links to the new posts, and have everything at most one click away. What do you want me to do? Nothing? Maybe I could work at the beginning instead of the end so it's less noticeable? I can *always* undo what I'm working on, if people don't like it. I believe being searchable and able to be found is important for both future users, and recipe authors alike, but I'm going to defer to you, and if it ain't broke, I don't want to fix it. Thoughts? The "Polyphonic Blog" was my own idea, but it really throws everything together into the same mixing bowl (the I-95 interchange project was called <<la moulinette>> in French), and doesn't give recipes such as this their due. What would Food52 do? My goal is to be efficient, usable, and cook-friendly while at the same time doing nothing to lose any group camaraderie that might have formed as a result of this thread.]

You know that we feel differently about this.  If you make it a separate thread, it won't get many (or any) replies, won't start any discussions, and will die a slow death as it sinks to the chronological bottom of the forum.  It's arcane enough that no one will ever go searching for it.  No one is going to go searching for chocolate cherry cookies.  (Also, the index is way too crowded with small topics to be useable, but that's a different subject.)

However, if you leave the post in the Dessert thread, people will see it every once in awhile as they scroll through recent posts, looking for ideas, which is one thing I do.  I do that with the Dinner thread, too.  Someone back me up here, please.

Separate topics should be for more general things (cake, pie, cookies, etc.)  Specific dishes should only merit their own threads if they're incredibly popular or trendy.

Seriously, you need to consider the way the forum is actually being used, instead of the way you think people might use it in the future.  Your organizational sensibilities aren't going to change users' behaviors.

• Pat, darkstar965 and LauraB like this

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#313 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

(It ain't broke.)

• porcupine likes this

#314 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:03 PM

You know that we feel differently about this.  If you make it a separate thread, it won't get many (or any) replies, won't start any discussions, and will die a slow death as it sinks to the chronological bottom of the forum.  It's arcane enough that no one will ever go searching for it.  No one is going to go searching for chocolate cherry cookies.  (Also, the index is way too crowded with small topics to be useable, but that's a different subject.)

However, if you leave the post in the Dessert thread, people will see it every once in awhile as they scroll through recent posts, looking for ideas, which is one thing I do.  I do that with the Dinner thread, too.  Someone back me up here, please.

Separate topics should be for more general things (cake, pie, cookies, etc.)  Specific dishes should only merit their own threads if they're incredibly popular or trendy.

Seriously, you need to consider the way the forum is actually being used, instead of the way you think people might use it in the future.  Your organizational sensibilities aren't going to change users' behaviors.

I worry some of this thinking will apply to the new coffee sub-forum but not sure.  It's not quite the same thing but, since the separate forum was created, the activity around coffee houses has become near moribund.  Maybe was more or less that way before when part of the main DC dining thread.  May just not be a ton of interest in it here.  Or we need to give it a few or several months. Again, not sure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert, Baking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users