283 replies to this topic

#251 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Rhubarb galette w cornmeal pâte brisée: Martha's recipe.

Highly recommend. Adjustments: sub half an organic Valencia orange for lemon juice, adding zest, too. Cut down salt in dough slightly, otherwise it is perfect for a galette. I cut amount of sugar slightly, too and once rolled out and placed on parchment-lined baking sheet, the dough was sprinkled w ground flax seeds to absorb the juices. I didn't bother to chill the assembled galette for 15-20 mins. before popping it into the oven. Not at all soppy, probably due in part to thin slices of the rhubarb. Having loved baked rhubarb compotes for ages, I can't believe I haven't tried this before. Great warm w generous dollop of tart B) Greek-style yogurt. Omega-3 in flax seeds, whole grains in crust, organic sugar and a vegetable for dessert!

I haven't made anything with rhubarb this year. I need to remedy that situation.

This question may seem odd, but do you not taste fish when you eat ground flax seeds? I can't eat them because of the fish taste.

#252 Anna Blume

Anna Blume

fruit bat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

This question may seem odd, but do you not taste fish when you eat ground flax seeds? I can't eat them because of the fish taste.

Are you a supertaster? Question does seem odd because I don't taste the flax seeds when eating this galette (didn't use gobs) and I've never found flax seeds to taste fishy when I've used them in making granola. Mine were packaged ground (Bob's Red Mill), but when I've toasted and ground my own, nothing struck me as crisp salmon-skin like--or even evocative of steamed halibut.

#253 DC Deb

DC Deb

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

Me too! I don't like things with flax seeds (e.g. Smart Balance peanut butter) because it tastes fishy to me.

#254 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

Are you a supertaster?

Yes, and I'm also blessed or cursed, depending on the situation, with a highly sensitive sense of smell. Flax is the worst - strong fish - then walnuts, which are a little fishy, and sometimes green tea, particularly Japanese kinds. And by fishy, I mean offensively so. I never tried the Smart Balance because I try to avoid anything marked Omega 3. They may as well mark it, "tastes like nasty fish."

#255 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

^Sigh! I can't believe no one has contributed to this topic for so long

Buttermilk ice cream with blueberries, black raspberries, and red raspberries. I think summer fruits are my favorite foods ever... except ice cream.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#256 Pete

Pete

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

Buttermilk ice cream with blueberries, black raspberries, and red raspberries. I think summer fruits are my favorite foods ever... except ice cream.

I've got buttermilk and blueberries to use up and have been thinking of doing a buttermilk ice cream. Do you have a recipe that you recommend?

Lisa: Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?
Homer: Well, I think the veal died of loneliness.

#257 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

I've got buttermilk and blueberries to use up and have been thinking of doing a buttermilk ice cream. Do you have a recipe that you recommend?

My basic formula; just substitute whole milk buttermilk for the regular milk. It won't work very well with lowfat buttermilk, though - gets icy.

A note: this recipe makes an ice cream that best when eaten right away, or after no more than two hours. The point is to enjoy the fresh cream taste. It doesn't keep well. If you like custard-based ice creams it might not be up your alley.

Beat 2 eggs until pale and thick, then slowly beat in 3/4 cup sugar. Mix in 2 c heavy cream and 1 c whole milk. Add vanilla to taste.

Pete, if all you have is lowfat buttermilk, you could try compensating for the lack of butterfat by using a very rich cream (like Lewes Dairy or Clear Spring Creamery - awesome stuff), or even using some Devon double cream. If your buttermilk in no-fat just skip it.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#258 Xochitl10

Xochitl10

えいえい東北!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

We just churned our second-ever batch of ice cream in the wedding-gift ice-cream maker from 14 years ago. :mellow: We made the cinnamon-black walnut recipe out of the Rival manual. The flavor is wonderful, evoking memories of the Range Cafe's (Bernalillo, NM) oatmeal with cinnamon ice cream, walnuts, and strawberries. It's gritty (icy?) rather than creamy, but delicious.

北緯39度

"I am not edible!" -- C-3PO

#259 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

Peach prosecco semifreddo with fresh blueberries.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#260 Anna Blume

Anna Blume

fruit bat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

Whole-wheat buttermilk cake w Italian prune plums and figs

#261 Anna Blume

Anna Blume

fruit bat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Warm ricotta custard w ripe persimmon purée.

Baked dessert is from Deborah Madison's Local Flavors. Other Panisse alum have variations on it, including Suzanne Goin's savory version w chile pepper.

#262 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

A few nights ago I tried making tiramisu for the first time. I didn't really follow a recipe - kinda winged it based on what I like and what I've had in restaurants. One thing didn't turn out quite right, though, and I was hoping someone would have a suggestion. Instead of buying ladyfingers I made a genoise, and instead of piping the batter I baked it whole and then cut it into ladyfinger-size slices. The problem was that they soaked up the coffee-liquor mixture immediately and they got soggy. The overall texture was okay the next day, once the cream mixture had soaked in, too, but still a little wetter than I like.

So, the question is, how to keep it from being soggy. I have a few ideas: deliberately overbake the genoise; let the cut slices sit a day in the open so they become stale; or instead of genoise make savoiardi (recipes for which are hard to find). Or would piping the batter really make a difference? Any thoughts?

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#263 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

IMO the best ladyfingers for use in tiramisu are the crispy ones, so I can understand why your genoise cake fingers turned out too wet.

#264 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

IMO the best ladyfingers for use in tiramisu are the crispy ones, so I can understand why your genoise cake fingers turned out too wet.

Crispy ones? The only recipes I've found for ladyfingers are genoise-based. Maybe I do need to pipe them so I get crust on most sides. hm. Or do you mean the savoiardi?

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#265 Heather

Heather

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

Crispy ones? The only recipes I've found for ladyfingers are genoise-based. Maybe I do need to pipe them so I get crust on most sides. hm. Or do you mean the savoiardi?

Piping does give you the crust on both sides. What was the proportion of egg whites in the batter, and did you whip them then fold them in? I made lots of genoise & ladyfingers once upon a time, and as I recall the lady fingers had more egg whites and they were added separately instead of the whole egg, fold the flour in process of a true genoise.

#266 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

Heather, I used the "ladyfinger genoise" recipe from Baking with Julia, which "[is] even sturdier than the classic" with a little more flour and egg yolks. It calls for 2 whole eggs and 4 yolks for 1 1/4c flour. ...though rereading the intro, it does say "additional egg yolks for moisture." The "perfect genoise" in the same book has 4 whole eggs for 1 c flour. So perhaps I should leave out an egg yolk or two, whip the whites separately then fold them in. I can see that resulting in a drier cake.

I think I'm going to try making the savoiardi just to see how different they are. I'm going to be swimming in tiramisu soon.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#267 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

I've only made tiramisu with storebought lady fingers. There are two types that I've found: spongy ones and crispy ones. I've used both kinds. The best tiramisu that I've made was with the crisper ones, which are able to absorb more without becoming waterlogged. I've watched Giada diLaurentis and Lidia Bastianich make triamisu on t.v. with those crisper ones, as well.

#268 Heather

Heather

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Heather, I used the "ladyfinger genoise" recipe from Baking with Julia, which "[is] even sturdier than the classic" with a little more flour and egg yolks. It calls for 2 whole eggs and 4 yolks for 1 1/4c flour. ...though rereading the intro, it does say "additional egg yolks for moisture." The "perfect genoise" in the same book has 4 whole eggs for 1 c flour. So perhaps I should leave out an egg yolk or two, whip the whites separately then fold them in. I can see that resulting in a drier cake.

I think I'm going to try making the savoiardi just to see how different they are. I'm going to be swimming in tiramisu soon.

Whip egg whites with a little cream of tartar, add half the sugar (you're essentially making a meringue), then beat the egg yolks with the other half of the sugar until thick and light. Fold the two egg mixtures together, then fold in the flour. Pipe out. I'll have to go back and look at a recipe to get the amounts.

I'd be happy to help you out with tiramisu disposal. :D

#269 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

Thanks, Zora and Heather. The method you posted (Heather) is very similar to what I've found for the Italian ladyfingers (savoiardi), so I think we're on the right track. Crispy it is. Oh, and Zora, what is this word "storebought"? :lol:

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#270 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

Oh, and Zora, what is this word "storebought"? :lol:

Occasionally, I channel my inner Sandra "Semi-Homemade" Lee.

#271 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

For attempt #2 I did actually purchase the Italian ladyfingers (from Cornucopia in Bethesda). The result was unpleasant: the cookies soaked up the coffee fine and held their shape, but in the finished dessert they had disintegrated, so the overall texture was just weird.

Attempt #3 is setting up in the fridge now. I followed Heather's advice (whipping egg whites separately) and used a less yolk-intensive formula. The resulting genoise is definitely drier and sturdier. Hopefully it will be dry and sturdy enough...

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#272 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

For attempt #2 I did actually purchase the Italian ladyfingers (from Cornucopia in Bethesda). The result was unpleasant: the cookies soaked up the coffee fine and held their shape, but in the finished dessert they had disintegrated, so the overall texture was just weird.

Attempt #3 is setting up in the fridge now. I followed Heather's advice (whipping egg whites separately) and used a less yolk-intensive formula. The resulting genoise is definitely drier and sturdier. Hopefully it will be dry and sturdy enough...

I've always made tiramisu with Savoirdie that I bought at Vace in Cleveland Park. No problem with them disintegrating because I dip them just slightly in the coffee mixture. This is one of those things that I think is just too much trouble to make at home when perfectly good ones are available commercially. YMMV.

#273 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

I've always made tiramisu with Savoirdie that I bought at Vace in Cleveland Park. No problem with them disintegrating because I dip them just slightly in the coffee mixture. This is one of those things that I think is just too much trouble to make at home when perfectly good ones are available commercially. YMMV.

I'm sure you're right, but... genoise is easy-peasy to make, I love to bake, and I do seem to enjoy making culinary mountains out of simple-food molehills. Nonetheless, now I have a reason to visit Vace. Thanks. :)

...and I just tried a bite (it's been sitting overnight): the modified genoise is holding up just fine.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#274 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

Inspired by the little peppermint sticks dipped in chocolate (that I call Christmas Pocky), candy cane - chocolate chip ice cream.

IceCream.jpg

Butter toffee with Valrhona Manjari chocolate and toasted almonds.

toffee.jpg

#275 bettyjoan

bettyjoan

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Bread pudding with salted caramel sauce

Sauce needs work from a texture standpoint, but the flavors were YUM and the bread pudding itself was just how I like it (not too goopy/wet, but not bone dry either).

Betty Thurber Rhoades
http://hungrytriathlete.wordpress.com/

Help me help blood cancer patients!

http://pages.teamint...nrusa14/bettyrh

#276 Xochitl10

Xochitl10

えいえい東北!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Brown sugar/bourbon ice cream made with Woodford Reserve. Yum.

北緯39度

"I am not edible!" -- C-3PO

#277 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

Last night I made chocolate sorbet (http://food52.com/re...hocolate_sorbet), and since a simple recipe recipe like this demands top ingredients, I used Valrhona all the way: cocoa powder and 66% and 70% feves. The resulting sugar rush was unbelievable, but the chocolate flavor was out of this world. So I think I'll be making it again soon, using strong brewed coffee in place of the water. The sugar + caffeine rush will probably have me running in circles all night (picture Eric Cartman in "Gnomes"), but what the heck.

If you love chocolate do give this one a try.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#278 Anna Blume

Anna Blume

fruit bat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Went a trifle overboard this weekend, it being that time of year for reincarnated fruit bats like moi: figs, blackberries, red raspberries, blueberries, apricots, semi-cling peaches & Methely plums. Oh, and first cantaloupe. More than a couple nectarines. Could have picked up half a dozen other types of berries, crisp, dense and pucker-y summer apples, or pale, yellow plums but a little restraint's a good thing.

Finally plunged and chose Nigel Slater's Ripe over another book on my list, Alice Medrich's Pure Dessert, leaving the dreary, largely tome-free interior of Barnes & Noble downtown for Politics and Prose to make the purchase. You are a ninny if you don't follow suit. Come on. Apricot couscous. Black currant and apricot terrine made with crushed meringues. The length of the apricot chapter alone is enough of a reason. Savory and sweet, much more of the former than one might expect. Mackerel and rhubarb. Fig and blackberry tartlets. Blackberry focaccia. Hazelnuts. Currants. Gorgeous photos to go with the prose. Simple and homey and a bit crusty and dark around the edges when roasted or braised.

Raspberries most fragile and since pools don't open till after noon, I plan on baking the apricot cake with almond flour and raspberries as soon as I log out.

Since this week will probably be the last when the year's meager crop of apricots can be found at the farmer's market, I plan on buying a couple of quarts more.

#279 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

I wish I could love the local apricots more than I do, because I do love apricots. Having lived for 12 years in an old cottage in Santa Monica with an ancient apricot tree in the yard, I have vivid memories of the ambrosial, sweet juicy orbs that it ripened. Nothing I've tasted from local growers even comes close. I find I have to cook the hell out of them with a lot of sugar for them to taste good.

#280 Anna Blume

Anna Blume

fruit bat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I wish I could love the local apricots more than I do, because I do love apricots. Having lived for 12 years in an old cottage in Santa Monica with an ancient apricot tree in the yard, I have vivid memories of the ambrosial, sweet juicy orbs that it ripened. Nothing I've tasted from local growers even comes close. I find I have to cook the hell out of them with a lot of sugar for them to taste good.

Not just a region-thing, though I am sure just-picked is always best. It's also a time machine thing and I suspect has a lot to do with the same sort of whittling down of varieties that we've seen affect other fruits. However, as much as I don't find apricots worth eating out of hand, cooking them always satisfies. I roasted some last week w a tiny sprinkle of turbinado sugar, a pat of butter and a speck of vanilla, 12 mins. at 375 and they were wonderful chilled in thickened yogurt. That said, the dried Bleinheim (?) apricots from CA at Trader Joe's that cost far more than the alternative are worth the price. I know one farmer in S. PA who has planted some recently and wonder if there are others producing this varietal locally.

#281 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Last night I made chocolate sorbet (http://food52.com/re...hocolate_sorbet), and since a simple recipe recipe like this demands top ingredients, I used Valrhona all the way: cocoa powder and 66% and 70% feves. The resulting sugar rush was unbelievable, but the chocolate flavor was out of this world. So I think I'll be making it again soon, using strong brewed coffee in place of the water. The sugar + caffeine rush will probably have me running in circles all night (picture Eric Cartman in "Gnomes"), but what the heck.

If you love chocolate do give this one a try.

I've made that one before and loved it. Please share how it works with the coffee!

#282 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

^made it again with strong brewed coffee; the coffee flavor was noticeable but in the background. Also used a good shot of cinnamon in the coffee; was surprised how strong the flavor was. Nice combination of flavors. Next time I'm trying it with ancho chili powder. Or maybe orange.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#283 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

Black pepper cardamom ice cream with strawberries and blueberries.  Heaven.

• KMango likes this

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

#284 dcs

dcs

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

A few nights ago I tried making tiramisu for the first time. I didn't really follow a recipe - kinda winged it based on what I like and what I've had in restaurants. One thing didn't turn out quite right, though, and I was hoping someone would have a suggestion. Instead of buying ladyfingers I made a genoise, and instead of piping the batter I baked it whole and then cut it into ladyfinger-size slices. The problem was that they soaked up the coffee-liquor mixture immediately and they got soggy. The overall texture was okay the next day, once the cream mixture had soaked in, too, but still a little wetter than I like.

So, the question is, how to keep it from being soggy. I have a few ideas: deliberately overbake the genoise; let the cut slices sit a day in the open so they become stale; or instead of genoise make savoiardi (recipes for which are hard to find). Or would piping the batter really make a difference? Any thoughts?

Restaurant that invented Tiramisù to close down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users