Cuban Corner, Cuban Plates and Sandwiches in a Charming Atmosphere - Hungerford Drive in Rockville - Closed

I went there a lot 13 years or so ago, back when we worked for a Senator on the hill. My main job was to try to lift the embargo on Cuba, and I also spent a lot of time with Elian Gonzalez. Once, right after the Elian thing happened, I was there with a colleague. Food was good, as usual, but there was a huge Elian shrine with paintings and candles, which was new. We later noticed a big picture of our Senate boss with a big x over his face and overheard many conversations going on cursing our boss. It was uncomfortable.

Haven't been back, but the food was always good, and it was fun to get custard at the frozen custard place in the parking lot after.

We used to go a lot 10 years or so ago when it was one of the few Cuban places in the area.  The food was OK given the lack of choices, though with our Miami roots, not so good overall.  Good enough to satisfy the occasional Cuban fix.  Fun to look at all the signs of Cuban-Americans.

Then we went a few years ago:  same atmosphere, bad food.  Got all our favorites: lechon asado, cuban sandwich, black beans and rice.  All terrible.  We vowed never to go back and have honored that.

Why go here when we have Cuba de Ayer and some of the good new places in DC?

We used to go a lot 10 years or so ago when it was one of the few Cuban places in the area.  The food was OK given the lack of choices, though with our Miami roots, not so good overall.  Good enough to satisfy the occasional Cuban fix.  Fun to look at all the signs of Cuban-Americans.

Then we went a few years ago:  same atmosphere, bad food.  Got all our favorites: lechon asado, cuban sandwich, black beans and rice.  All terrible.  We vowed never to go back and have honored that.

Why go here when we have Cuba de Ayer and some of the good new places in DC?

Well, this is a *long* way from Cuba de Ayer, although I guess the ICC would alleviate the trip. Hopefully, your meal was a one-off - I enjoyed Cuban Corner, but I also haven't been in a few years.

I am amazed that we don't have a thread for Cuban Corner. I did a double-take, then a triple-take, and still can't believe it.

I was also amazed that we didn't have a thread for Papa John's; nor do we have one for Domino's or Pizza Hut. I take this as a testament to the quality of our members, or at least their fear of being belittled. Cuban Corner, even if it has gone downhill (has it?) has long merited a thread, as it's a real restaurant - and I just love the ingeniously simple name Moros y Cristianos, and derive great satisfaction from sharing it with the world, as often as I can. Sort of like Cacio e Pepe (occasionally made with Limburger and called Cacio e Pepe Le Pew), but more so.

I am amazed that we don't have a thread for Cuban Corner. I did a double-take, then a triple-take, and still can't believe it.

I remember posting on it somewhere after one of the local critics did a short piece on it. It must have been long enough ago that it's on eGullet. I recall tasty, but not excellent. A solid "B".

Second jrichstar. I live less than 10 minutes from Cuban Corner, used to live in SoFla for a decade, and this place sort of scratches the itch but doesn't really satisfy. Echoes of Cuban food, but muted flavors, and far pricier than it should be.

I've spent the extra 25 minutes to go cross-county on Rte. 28/198 to Cuba de Ayer more times than I've gone to Cuban Corner in the past 5 years.

But Mi Cuba Cafe in Columbia Heights is the real thing. Though only convenient because my girlfriend lives in Mt. Pleasant...

I stopped by with a friend for lunch today. $8.99 for a Cubano (+ $3.99 for tostones). Compared to a recent trip to Calle Ocho in Miami, Cuban Corner fared well. The bread was toasted to a nice crispness, and the roast pork was moist and well-seasoned. I'd be hard-pressed to find a major fault in this sandwich. (It also compares favorably to the excellent version at Mi Cuba Cafe in Columbia Heigts. I've enjoyed many dishes at Cuba de Ayer, but haven't had the Cubano.)

Service was friendly, and the waitress brought out complimentary cups of cafe Cubano when she noticed us lingering in conversation after paying the bill.

Met up with a friend last night and went here - it's still in a holding pattern (so I think it's time to remove the italics in the dining guide).  I got the sampler special, so I got to try the ropa vieja, a pork dish (it was shredded pork), and a shredded chicken dish, along with yellow rice and black beans.  Solid, but not excellent.  Very kind service.  I live in Arlington (my friend lives much closer to Rockville) so I generally won't be making that drive just for CC.  I'd go back, and maybe get the Cubano or just the pork, which was my favorite.  Sorry I'm missing some details, but we were immersed in conversation...