CaliBurger, In-N-Out Wannabe Planning To Locate Its Headquarters In DC

"CaliBurger To Locate HQ In D.C., Plans U.S. Expansion" by Rebecca Cooper on wtop.com

In 2012 In-n-Out objected that it's "red and yellow logo and burger style copied its longtime West Coast staples."

Has anyone eaten at a CaliBurger overseas who has also eaten at an In-n-Out to compare?  Apparently their first U. S. outpost will either be here or in California.  Remembering that In-n-Out stopped a Utah clone a few years ago I wonder how far this will go if they are really that similar.

Here's more details on the Utah competitor, which closed after In 'n Out opened their own outpost in the same town, courtesy of Wikipedia. Semantics was their downfall:

Chadder's infringement lawsuit (2007)

In June 2007, the company filed a lawsuit against an American Fork, Utah, restaurant named Chadder's for trademark infringement, claiming that the "look and feel" of the restaurant too closely resembled that of In-N-Out, and that the restaurant violated trademarked menu items, such as "Animal Style", "Protein Style", "Double-Double", and so forth.[28]

The company was tipped off by Utah customers contacting the customer service department asking if In-N-Out opened a location in Utah under a different name or if they had any affiliation with the restaurant in any way. Several customers stated they ordered trademarked items such as Animal and Protein styles.[29]

On 7 June 2007, In-N-Out's general counsel visited the Chadders restaurant in American Fork and "viewed the premises and operations and ordered a meal that was not listed on its menu. He requested an 'Animal style Double-Double with Animal fries,' and his order was filled."[30] Utah District court Judge Ted Stewart issued a temporary restraining order against the look-alike. Chadder's opened another location near the Salt Lake City area and one in Provo.

In 2009, In-N-Out opened a restaurant in American Fork less than a mile from the Chadder's restaurant.[22][28][31] Per their website, Chadder's started selling a "Stubby Double" instead of "Double Double".[32] The Chadder's restaurants in Utah have gone out of business since In-N-Out restaurants have opened in Utah.

Have the terms "Animal-style,"  "Double-Double," and so on actually been trademarked?  In some cases it would seem to be a stretch.

I hope he at least ordered his fries well-done!

They have been, but I'd imagine that the trademark doesn't extend beyond restaurant usage, and it may be much more specific than that.

They have been, but I'd imagine that the trademark doesn't extend beyond restaurant usage, and it may be much more specific than that.

I don't blame In-N-Out for protecting their turf, but, but, but ...

They don't have much to worry about. <--- Reading this makes me want to skip through a field of poppies, masturbating, while I'm on my cell phone, ordering delivery from The Cereal Bowl, and wondering why my call isn't going through.

• Like 3

I don't blame In-N-Out for protecting their turf, but, but, but ...

They don't have much to worry about. <--- Reading this makes me want to skip through a field of poppies, masturbating, while I'm on my cell phone, ordering delivery from The Cereal Bowl, and wondering why my call isn't going through.

post-2-0-93455200-1424466250_thumb.png

This could be a case of being a bit too soon on the PR blitz.

post-2-0-75477300-1424466136_thumb.png

The only clue I have that this is an American company is this article; the brains behind this operation cannot possibly be in California.