Paradiso, Family-Owned Italian on Franconia Road and Valley View Drive in Franconia

If you click on the "Tony and Julia Amato" tag, you'll see that the only restaurant of theirs we have no thread for is Paradiso in Alexandria. Any takers? :) I don't remember ever having tried it, and would love some intel - are there any sleeper dishes on the menu, for example? Sometimes, a seemingly "ordinary" family of restaurants will have one specialty that is out of this world, and I'd love for people to know about it.

I've eaten there in the past, for dinner and for weekend brunch. I haven't been there in a few years because it wasn't that good, but I might give it a try again....it's literally right around the corner from Mediterranean Gourmet Market, so if I'm in that neighborhood, I'm usually there for my MGM fix.

If you click on the "Tony and Julia Amato" tag, you'll see that the only restaurant of theirs we have no thread for is Paradiso in Alexandria. Any takers? :) I don't remember ever having tried it, and would love some intel - are there any sleeper dishes on the menu, for example? Sometimes, a seemingly "ordinary" family of restaurants will have one specialty that is out of this world, and I'd love for people to know about it.

back in the days when I sold wine, I popped into Paradiso on a sales cold call. It seemed to be your generic Italian restaurant, BUT they had a whole room set aside for child care with an attendant during peak hours, games, TV, etc, etc and I just thought that was brilliant. Maybe *that* is their specialty?

Paradiso has a fairly large sized lunch buffet with some decent pizza (not great, but decent), made to order pasta dishes, a large salad selection, and LOTS of desserts including real ice cream and "real" hot fudge for a topping.  Definitely enough choice to satisfy the lunch craving but not really a serious dinner destination (at least for us).

I've eaten there in the past, for dinner and for weekend brunch. I haven't been there in a few years because it wasn't that good, but I might give it a try again....it's literally right around the corner from Mediterranean Gourmet Market, so if I'm in that neighborhood, I'm usually there for my MGM fix.

back in the days when I sold wine, I popped into Paradiso on a sales cold call. It seemed to be your generic Italian restaurant, BUT they had a whole room set aside for child care with an attendant during peak hours, games, TV, etc, etc and I just thought that was brilliant. Maybe *that* is their specialty?

Paradiso has a fairly large sized lunch buffet with some decent pizza (not great, but decent), made to order pasta dishes, a large salad selection, and LOTS of desserts including real ice cream and "real" hot fudge for a topping.  Definitely enough choice to satisfy the lunch craving but not really a serious dinner destination (at least for us).

[And thanks to you three community leaders, the Amato family now has complete representation here. Thank you!]

• Like 1

Yeah, I forgot about the kids' room at Paradiso, which came in handy a few years back. Mom and Dad could actually enjoy most of a meal as a date, if the kids behaved in that room.

Also, there is an outdoor patio....the scenery is Franconia Road, but it's one of the few places around with outdoor seating (so is MGM).