The Cake Thread

DonRocks

Who bakes and sells them? This town needs an outlet for artisan birthday cakes, wedding cakes, etc.

I'm not talking about the bakery at Harris-Teeter; I'm talking about craftsmanship. Which costs (and deserves) money.

Matt's birthday is tomorrow, and the truth is: if I wanted to get a really nice cake, I wouldn't have the first idea where to turn, other than emailing my pastry chef friends on Facebook; most people don't have that luxury.

I would love to build a list of artisan bakers, with websites, prices, and other essentials. I'm not as big on "buying local" as most people are, but this is one big exception.

Bakeshop in Clarendon does a good job with baked goods. They are going to be more "homey" and rustic in style, not super fancy, but most of the items I've had from there have been tasty.

Full Disclosure: Bakeshop is my retail neighbor in Clarendon, I'm friendly with the owner, we borrow stuff from each other, etc, etc....

I know Matt's birthday is past, but I would give another shout out to Justin at Bakeshop.  I got a cake from him for my Matt's birthday and we really enjoyed it.  I don't love many cakes, although my husband really does, and this was one we both liked.  I think it was 7-Up flavor which sounds a bit silly, but was really good.  

Apparently there is a reason we are still married after 10 years.  Mr. BLB had the same idea to get Ann to do a cake for our anniversary.  I'll post a picture next month. (And at least we mentioned it to each other so we didn't end up with 2 cakes...)

I heard from Ann, and she no longer does tiered wedding cakes, and no longer makes deliveries - basically, she does only the occasional wedding cake as a way of keeping in touch with her old friends (e.g., when their children are getting married), of which you are one. Seriously, you should feel pretty special.

On 12/18/2015 at 3:05 PM, rbh said:

We have routinely gotten birthday cakes from Pastries by Randolph.  raspberry and lemon fillings in particular have been very tasty.  Ms. RBH loves the dark chocolate mousse cake for her b-day.

Pastries by Randolph is exceptional. And Don, I'm surprised that Woodmoor Bakery did not come to mind for you. They are still in business, still in Woodmoor, still exceptional.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:58 AM, squidsdc said:

And Don, I'm surprised that Woodmoor Bakery did not come to mind for you. They are still in business, still in Woodmoor, still exceptional.

Second this about Woodmoor Pastry Shop. We've gotten a bunch of delicious birthday cakes and other delights from them since moving to Silver Spring in 2014. I've also seen many recommendations for JennyCakes in Kensington, but I haven't tried them.

---

Woodmoore Pastry Shop (DonRocks)

• Like 1