Blue Star House Of Beef - Kosher BBQ in the Former Siena's Pizza Space in Rockville - Closed

I was there last Sunday- less than a week since the opening.  I don't know whether to write about this from the perspective of someone who loves food and will eat anything, or someone with family members who are kosher.  I really like the menu and am hoping that Blue Star succeeds.  It has a way to go if it wants to appeal to a broader audience.  The brisket is tender but needs more flavor.  We had tacos and a baked potato topped with brisket.  The ingredients all sound good, but there needs to be better seasoning and more attention paid to the proportions of ingredients.  If something says it has tomatoes and onions, I would like to see more than a teaspoonful of each. There were also some issues with temperatures of the food. Desserts are from Sunflower Bakery and are quite good, although I had an apple pie that was served ice cold.

It was the first week, so hopefully some things will get straightened out.

My biggest hope is that I can say the food is good rather than the food is good considering it's kosher.

I am going back next week to sample more of the menu.  Fingers crossed.

[Given that Siena's Pizzeria was also Kosher, does anyone know whether or not this is the same ownership as before? This thread is in purgatory right now with me not knowing whether or not ownership has changed.

Is this in the same shopping center as Goldberg's Bagels near White Flint? If so, that's a very Kosher shopping center, and could easily mean an ownership change (new thread) or not (same thread).]

Lori, if you go again, could you ask?

As with all of the less than a handful a kosher places in the DC area, I wish them the best of luck - my strictly kosher friends need more good options. I will also say I checked the menu and the current prices are great for kosher food (i.e. pretty normal in comparison to non-kosher food).  A $10 hamburger seems pretty standard at a sit down restaurant these days.

• Like 1

Well the plus side for this place is that every year my father wants to have beef ribs for his birthday (which is May 28) and he can never find them on a menu. Not short ribs. Tony Roma's used to have them but they aren't around anymore. Needless to say he was thrilled when he found out about this place having beef ribs on the menu!

• Like 1