Asi Es Mi Tierra - Homestyle Peruvian on Ennalls Avenue in Wheaton

2559 Ennalls Ave., Wheaton, MD 20902

Meant to write something about this a while ago, but never got around to it.  We went here a couple of months ago after a small write up in the Washingtonian.  Seafood is the specialty here.  Ceviche and fried seafood to be more exact.  One piece of caution, they don't speak english very well, but never-the-less the food was really good and we will go back at some point.  All ceviche was made fresh and tasted fresh as well.  The fried seafood had the perfect amount of breading and a nice crispness.  We ordered once ceviche, and a platter of an additinoal ceviche and a mixed assortment of fried seafood (shrimp, octopus, flounder, scallops, and mussles), all served on a bed of pickeled red onions.  Everything had a nice brightness to it.  So here is where the language barrier kicks in.  When we ordered, the server said we needed more food (there were three adults).  We asked for her suggestion and she recomended the "house dish" she couldn't tell us what it was in English, but we obliged.  Turned out, it was the same platter of ceviche and fried seafood, only adding on a rice dish with more seafood.  Needless to say, what we had originally ordered was more than enough for the three of us (the portion was very generous) and when the second platter came we continued to gorge ourselves and somehow one guy and two little women finished all of the food (the three year old who ordered a quesadilla sat there in amazment).  Regardless, we will make it back there.

• Like 1

Not long after this article came out, I was curious enough about the Pan con Chicharrí³n Sandwich to stop into Asi Es Mi Tierra and order one. 

Note this from the article:

The kitchen doles out those lime-marinated onions the way some Mexican restaurants dollop sour cream. They're the crowning touch on the pan con chicharrí³n ($7.50), adding crunch and acidity to a pile of roast pork and cinnamony sweet potatoes stuffed into an airy roll. In the local sandwich pantheon, it stands alongside Mangialardo and Sons' G Man and Bí¡nh Mí¬ DC Sandwich's combo #1.

Indeed, my sandwich looked a lot like the one pictured in the article, and I was struck by the use of the word "pantheon," and am still not sure if, in this context, it means "these are the best three sandwiches in the area," or "it ranks alongside these other two sandwiches." If the latter, I pretty much agree: this is a decent, blue-plate sandwich that's probably about on a par with the best things available at Bí¡nh Mí¬ DC Sandwich. If the former, I don't have a comment except the one I made at the end of this post.