The Dairy Godmother, New Owner Russell Gravat on Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray - Authentic Milwaukee-Style Frozen Custard

As a Wisconsin native (who has lost that annoying accent, but not my unhealthy infatuation with a really bad football team), I must say that cheese curds are an atrocity inflicted on the world of cheese, they are even worse when fried, and frying generally makes everything better.

Them there are serious fighting words. Fried Cheese Curds are Wisconsin's gift to the world other than beer, custard, and other cheeses. :-)

I really think this was a very bad decision that will limit the public's perception of what they sell as well as not give them the individual identity they need.

While I agree that "That Custard Place" is kind of lame, I'm not sure it suffers from a failure to identify "what they sell" any more than "Del Ray Dreamery" did.

While I agree that "That Custard Place" is kind of lame, I'm not sure it suffers from a failure to identify "what they sell" any more than "Del Ray Dreamery" did.

Not true! When I think of Dreamery, I think of smooth, premium ice cream. With chunky nuts, creamy caramel, chocolate chips, all in easy to use containers that....

wait.

Why are they changing their name again?

In their defense, I'd also find it hard to believe that not putting "frozen" in the name would confuse people either. There aren't too many pudding shops around that they'd get confused with.

"Dreamery" is a play on words that implies but doesn't specify cream, ice cream or frozen custard. I believe this allowed flexibility for something else on the menu such as "brats" noted above. "That custard place," for me, has a very narrow focus that doesn't seem to allow as much in the public's perception. Regardless, of my opinion, they've done it. Brats and cheese curds not withstanding it's the name they liked and decided to go with.

I should also note that I would have a similar criticism of Neilsen's in Vienna as well as Milwaukee Frozen Custard. The formal name is "Neilsen's Frozen Custard" yet they also sell sandwiches. In Milwaukee a number of frozen custard stands also sold sandwiches and, for many of them, at some point they dropped the words "frozen custard" from their formal name. Kopp's is a primary example of this. Abbott's and Anderson's in upstate New York are similar, too. Both are known for frozen custard yet both sell a lot more. Point being that they may have started as frozen custard stands yet, at some point they needed to survive off season and introduced hot dogs, hamburgers, beef on weck, etc. To successfully pull this off they had to drop the exclusive frozen custard identity.

In the D. C. area Gifford's would have lines 100+ long in the summer in their four outposts in the summer. Yet in the winter they were a empty. Many nights I drove by their store in Silver Spring and on a cold January night there wasn't a person inside other than a lonely counterman. In the summer the line stretched out the door and down the block. Gifford's closed all of their stores, one by one ending a 50+ year history as the D. C. area's greatest ice cream shop. Even with lines out the door in the summer you still have to pay bills in the winter. This they couldn't do. Tastee Freeze, Dairy Queen and local ice cream and frozen custard stands like Polar Bear (Georgia Avenue north of Piney Branch), Reindeer (across from Sears on Colesville road at Second ave), Frozen Dairy Bar (Falls Church), Martin's Dairy (on Georgia Avenue in Olney) all completely closed in mid November and reopened in the spring. A lot if not most local custard stands did this then. Twin Kiss (LaPlata, route 40 west) also comes to mind as does Carvel in New Jersey. Carl's still does this in Fredericksburg continuing their own fifty + year tradition. But to remain open all year round requires more than just custard or ice cream. Even for the best.

In their defense, I'd also find it hard to believe that not putting "frozen" in the name would confuse people either. There aren't too many pudding shops around that they'd get confused with.

How many non-foodies know that there is such a thing as frozen custard? I am willing to bet that half of my Wisconsin bound cousins do not even know that such a thing exists. When I told my wife of the name change (no other commentary included) she immediately thought of trifle (because it is made with custard), and she is very familiar with frozen custard.

Greetings from Madison, Weeez-consin

After a year away from DC, I have to say that I miss the mild DC winters, I think cheese curds are OK, but the custard here is amazing. Culver's and Michael's are among the biggest names in custard in the Madison area. Kopp's is a big name over in the Milwaukee area. Michael's is my fav--and you can even buy pints in local grocery stores. A good thing about Culver's are its butter burgers.

Here's a nice Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel story from 2001 about That Custard Place in Del Rey (nee the Dreamery): http://www.jsonline.com/lifestyle/people/a...rd19081601a.asp

Then there's that whole Wisconsin Friday fish fry thang... if you ever find yourself in Madison, stop by the Avenue Bar and you'll see what I mean.

Happy custard-eating people!!!

From an email from that Delray Dessert Joint. I think we should buy all the postcards, and then once a week send one to the store but addressed to one of the Cuss Turd type names Rocks developed. :lol:

The time has come for the End of the Dream Sidewalk Sale.

On Saturday the 29th from noon until 2pm we will be selling the remains of the Del Ray Dreamery. Available will be :

All t-shirts,child and adult

Imprinted insulated bags

The Del Ray Dreamery banner

Postcards

Wooden sign

one ceramic bowl

After 2pm, the items will no longer be available.

All of the money collected will go to the Alexandria Scholarship Fund.,a fund which makes it possible for T.C. WIlliams high school graduates attend college or trade school.

Merchandise will not be priced "to sell". It will be priced to help kids follow their dreams.

Liz

New name on the door:  The Dairy Godmother.

Okay that is a good name. I mean it doesn't indicate baking but come on.. it is very creative. I wonder if there are other dairy godmothers....

:lol: A note in the Oct. 25 WaPo says that the new name will be "That Custard Place in Del Ray." The winner got a year's worth of custard. Among the runner ups was Dairy Godmother... oh it is just too rich... check it out

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5102500335.html

Okay that is a good name.  I mean it doesn't indicate baking but come on.. it is very creative.  I wonder if there are other dairy godmothers....

:lol:   A note in the Oct. 25 WaPo says that the new name will be "That Custard Place in Del Ray."  The winner got a year's worth of custard.  Among the runner ups was Dairy Godmother... oh it is just too rich... check it out

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5102500335.html

I have received a definitive answer straight from the horse's mouth....

The new official name is "The Dairy Godmother". This from Liz yesterday while purchasing (very) last-minute Thanksgiving dessert. I think it was a toss-up as to whether the pumpkin custard or the apple cider sorbet was the favorite - both were delish, as were the ginger snaps!

Brat nite again on Thursday, Dec. 1.

Woo hoo! We're going to be there, after dinner at Los Tios -- can't wait! Wonder what the special flavor will be??? We'll be introducing some friends who have never been...

It looks on their site like they'll be opening with Cannoli flavor. Yum. I'm just waiting for the day when she brings back Texas Sheet Cake. MMMMMM

today's flavor which we just had is puree du smurf. All I can tell you is that it's blue. it's got marshmellows and it tastes like. well. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It's apparently a flavoring named "Blue Moon". I thought it kind of tasted like almonds but my wife thinks it tastes kind of like the milk after you finish a bowl of froot loops.

It is a very common flavor at frozen custard shops in Wisconsin. Common... but only popular with the kids.

today's flavor which we just had is puree du smurf. All I can tell you is that it's blue. it's got marshmellows and it tastes like. well. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It's apparently a flavoring named "Blue Moon". I thought it kind of tasted like almonds but my wife thinks it tastes kind of like the milk after you finish a bowl of froot loops.

I long for the day when Tripewriter has Thursday nights off again...but it looks like no brats for us this season <_<

On another note, as mentioned in the Eve thread, I had Godmother ginger custard last night and thought it was great -- do the flavors that are current at Eve reflect in any way what might be current at the DG?

On another note, as mentioned in the Eve thread, I had Godmother ginger custard last night and thought it was great -- do the flavors that are current at Eve reflect in any way what might be current at the DG?

I don't think they do, but you can always find out the "Flavor of the Day" at the website. If you like the ginger flavor, you'll probably like Mozambique! (which is coming up on April 23/24)

What's Mozambique? And will one of you lucky folks please fill this former Midwesterner in on Brat Night? It's been TOO LONG since I've had one of those halcion sausages of my youth... Mmmmm...

Well you are out of luck as the last brat night was last night. Of course if you come to the dr.com picnic...

What's Mozambique? And will one of you lucky folks please fill this former Midwesterner in on Brat Night? It's been TOO LONG since I've had one of those halcion sausages of my youth... Mmmmm...

Here's my description of Brat Nite from a few months back click - maybe not the be-all end-all of brats, but it's a lot of fun!

Mozambique is....cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves...and it's really good the day after it's on the menu as a sandwich made with those amazing ginger cookies!

Buttered Pecan! :unsure: It's still the flavor today and makes a very fine dinner.

Next Sunday & Monday: Coconut Cream!!!

And you'll never know who you'll run into walking around Del Ray -- possibly even someone who has been identified as the elusive DonRocks. ;)

The Dairy Godmother rates a 9 or maybe a 10 even if you don't live in the neighborhood (Del Ray).

Definitely worth a special trip. Dozens of flavors. Every day, vanilla and chocolate frozen custard, and a constantly changing case of characters, including fruit sorbets, some with interesting extra ingredients like lavender and basil.

List of flavors from the website: Lemon Rosemary, Lemon Lavender, Lemon Ginger, West Indian Lime, Lime with Fresh Mint, Thai Cocoanut, Santa Rosa Plum, Rhubarb, Strawberry Balsamico, Raspberry, Passion Fruit, Guava, Mango, Peach, Apricot, Gooseberry Black Currant, Pomegranate, Mulled Beaujolais, Jasmine Tea, Red Zinger Tea, Orange Blossom, Pink Grapefruit with Angostura Bitters, Pineapple with Cilantro, Cucumber with Fresh Mint, Papaya with Fresh Ginger, Fresh Pumpkin, Apple Cider, Apple Snow (with lemon and white wine), Pear with Vanilla, Cranberry with Coriander and Tangerine, Honeydew Melon, Damask Rose, Door County Cherry.

Also, cookies and dog biscuits.

How long is the line? Check on the custard cam.

Dairy Godmother.

2310 Mount Vernon Ave., Alexandria, VA 22301

703-683-7767

(My favorite flavors are anything with coconut.)

The Dairy Godmother rates a 9 or maybe a 10 even if you don't live in the neighborhood (Del Ray).

Definitely worth a special trip. Dozens of flavors. Every day, vanilla and chocolate frozen custard, and a constantly changing case of characters, including fruit sorbets, some with interesting extra ingredients like lavender and basil.

List of flavors from the website: Lemon Rosemary, Lemon Lavender, Lemon Ginger, West Indian Lime, Lime with Fresh Mint, Thai Cocoanut, Santa Rosa Plum, Rhubarb, Strawberry Balsamico, Raspberry, Passion Fruit, Guava, Mango, Peach, Apricot, Gooseberry Black Currant, Pomegranate, Mulled Beaujolais, Jasmine Tea, Red Zinger Tea, Orange Blossom, Pink Grapefruit with Angostura Bitters, Pineapple with Cilantro, Cucumber with Fresh Mint, Papaya with Fresh Ginger, Fresh Pumpkin, Apple Cider, Apple Snow (with lemon and white wine), Pear with Vanilla, Cranberry with Coriander and Tangerine, Honeydew Melon, Damask Rose, Door County Cherry.

Wait, so the ONLY custard flavors they offer on a daily basis are vanilla and chocolate??? :)

And though the list of flavors above seems impressive, if I'm understanding correctly, then they do not offer ALL of these sorbets every day, right?

I just cannot imagine that having such limited flavor choices (especially for custard, which is supposed to be their specialty) is worth the trip across the river. But of course, I'm willing to be corrected if I've missated the facts.

Wait, so the ONLY custard flavors they offer on a daily basis are vanilla and chocolate??? :)

And though the list of flavors above seems impressive, if I'm understanding correctly, then they do not offer ALL of these sorbets every day, right?

I just cannot imagine that having such limited flavor choices (especially for custard, which is supposed to be their specialty) is worth the trip across the river. But of course, I'm willing to be corrected if I've missated the facts.

Click for the flavor of the day.

They don't offer all the sorbets all the time, but there are generally 5-6 available to choose from in addition to the custard flavors.

The mango lassi sorbet is, all on its own, worth the trip. :) And I don't even like mangoes.

Maybe I am an easy sell when it comes to ice cream.

But, as HillValley suggests, hit several high points at the same time. There's a wonderful place on Wisconsin Avenue we hit when we're in Georgetown, and another great place we go to when we visit the zoo. Can't remember either name, suggestions welcome.

Maybe I am an easy sell when it comes to ice cream.

But, as HillValley suggests, hit several high points at the same time. There's a wonderful place on Wisconsin Avenue we hit when we're in Georgetown, and another great place we go to when we visit the zoo. Can't remember either name, suggestions welcome.

Welcome to the world of frozen custard. It is NOT an "ice cream" place with only three flavors.

www.custardlist.com

Welcome to the world of frozen custard. It is NOT an "ice cream" place with only three flavors.

Great Googley Moogley!

Don't tell me I've run afoul of yet another connoisseurship?

"Ice cream" and "frozen custard" are somehow different?

And "three flavors" are to be sniffed at?

No, I say, no!

I am resolutely on the other side of this issue. Ice cream, frozen custard, gelati, sorbet, same difference, it's all sweet and cold and delicious. Even plain old vanilla is delicious.

There is no such thing as bad ice cream. No more than there is such a thing as bad .... well, you know. :)

It's not just the composition or flavor of the frozen confection that matters, but also ambience and comfort level -- are there places to sit, is the place clean, are the people nice, is parking a problem, do they have interesting toppings, how about sprinkles or waffle cones, can you carry out hand packed, can you get an ice cream cake, do they have a clean restroom, how about a water fountain?

JMHO

Breyer's. :)

To me, Breyer's ice cream is in the same category as Yuengling's beer. It's not the best, it's not the worst. And sometimes you just have to compromise.

But I wouldn't make a special trip for either.

In the worst category, Tofutti comes to mind. And Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Frozen custard is everything that good ice cream can be, heavy and creamy. The primary difference between run-of-the-mill ice cream and premium ice cream is the overrun. Overrun is basically the volume increase during the production process, caused by air being taken into the mixture. To be legally called ice cream in the US the overrun has to remain at 100% or less (i.e. the finished product has 50% air and 50% ingredients). Premium ice cream is typically in the 30-50% range I believe. On the other hand, frozen custard is typically around 20%.

As well, ice cream has to contain 10% milkfat to be labelled ice cream. Premium ice cream typically pushes the percentage up to around 16-18%. However, since custard has eggs in it to start with which acts as an emulsifier the milkfat percentage is kept down to around 10% but the creamy texture is kept.

Alot of the information above is found here:

http://www.goodberrys.com/html/page_3.html

Goodberry's is a local chain in the Raleigh area of NC, with one location in Myrtle Beach. I've never really thought that Dairy Godmother held a candle to Goodberry's, though it's the best we have in the area. Living in Raleigh for a number of years spoiled me for custard as Goodberry's really is quite good, with a fairly wide range of mix-ins. The fact that one of the girls I dated in college worked at one definitely ended up making our relationship last longer as she would bring home a free "mistake" every other day or so :-)

I hate sinking into coinnoisseur-ship... but Dairy Godmother will give you an education. I've had gelato, sorbet, custard, ice cream, mochi, etc., that tasted great and even (rarely) better than DG, but they have the mouthfeel down to a science. The custard feels like it's left a coating of cool, wet air on the roof of your mouth. I bike down there from Rosslyn and there is nothing that feels better after breathing in bugs and exhaust and river fumes than taking a bite of custard and letting it sit there, melting.

The sorbet, whether it was the mango lassi or the green apple riesling (?!?!), had this completely different effect: it causes this shiny, tart squelching noise in your mouth that you feel rather than hear. Yeah, you could pretend that this post didn't happen and just go for some fantastic tasting cold stuff, but follow the Dairy Godmother down the rabbit hole, man. You don't want to go among the mad people? You're too late; we're all mad here.

It's also a true neighborhood experience. A little bit dumpy, but loaded with good energy, good food and happy customers. I live nowhere near the neighborhood, but have made a point this summer to drop in whenever I cross the river. Good stuff. I'm a big fan of oatmeal crisp topping and Door County Cherry Sundaes - but not together.

And I feel a lot better spending my hard earned $$$ getting fat there than at big chain ice cream shops (no matter how good a corporate citizen they might be.)

SUPER SORBET Flavors:

Pineapple Cilantro - full of fresh pineapple flavor, accented in the most unexpectedly subtle and tasty way by the cilantro. (Oh how I pity those poor people to whom cilantro tastes like soap or formaldehyde) This has to be one of the best sorbet flavors I've tasted at the Godmother - and she has some really, really good ones!

Thai Coconut (with galangal) - Creamy and coconutty with just a hint of a tangy undertone.

It was sort of a Bangkok Pina Colada in a cup :)

Frozen custard is everything that good ice cream can be, heavy and creamy. The primary difference between run-of-the-mill ice cream and premium ice cream is the overrun. Overrun is basically the volume increase during the production process, caused by air being taken into the mixture. To be legally called ice cream in the US the overrun has to remain at 100% or less (i.e. the finished product has 50% air and 50% ingredients). Premium ice cream is typically in the 30-50% range I believe. On the other hand, frozen custard is typically around 20%.

As well, ice cream has to contain 10% milkfat to be labelled ice cream. Premium ice cream typically pushes the percentage up to around 16-18%. However, since custard has eggs in it to start with which acts as an emulsifier the milkfat percentage is kept down to around 10% but the creamy texture is kept.

Alot of the information above is found here:

http://www.goodberrys.com/html/page_3.html

Goodberry's is a local chain in the Raleigh area of NC, with one location in Myrtle Beach. I've never really thought that Dairy Godmother held a candle to Goodberry's, though it's the best we have in the area. Living in Raleigh for a number of years spoiled me for custard as Goodberry's really is quite good, with a fairly wide range of mix-ins. The fact that one of the girls I dated in college worked at one definitely ended up making our relationship last longer as she would bring home a free "mistake" every other day or so :-)

With all due respect neither Goodberry's nor the Dairy Godmother can even begin to compare to Michael's in Madison or Kopp's (16% butterfat with low overrun) in Milwaukee. I'd also put Leon's (in Milwaukee) which manufactures the machines that both are made from, up there too. In D. C. the best frozen custard is in Vienna at the local outpost of Neilsen's which is a Salt Lake City outfit whose owner worked at Kopp's and, about twenty years ago, left for Utah to open his version of the Milwaukee legend. Neilsen's lacks the imaginative flavors of the Dairy Godmother but the basic vanilla and chocolate are outstanding. Neilsen's concrete are also better than Ted Drewes which invented them in St. Louis. Finally, the Dairy Godmother-for basic flavors-pales in comparison to the Fredericksburg icon, Carl's.

I am not dissing the Dairy Godmother but before people on this board begin to rave endlessly they need to eat a bit of frozen custard where it matters. Carl's uses the original ElectroFreeze machines from the early '50's as does Klein's in Harrisonburg, VA. The Frozen Dairy Bar in Falls Church is, essentially, gone with only these two outposts left in the entire state of VA for scooped frozen custard made from the original '50's era machines. The Dairy Godmother does NOT have very rich custard. Unlike the best places in Milwaukee (i.e. Kopp's, Leon's which are both much richer with the same low overrun (standard for custard) ) the Del Rey location has GREAT ambience, wonderful personality from those behind the counter and only decent custard which seems better because of where it is eaten.

I've been there four times now and continue leaving wondering what everyone on this board continues to rave about. I strongly suggest that a few should go to Milwaukee or Rochester or Buffalo (Anderson's) before raving about the Dairy Godmother. Or Vienna to Neilsen's.

With all due respect neither Goodberry's nor the Dairy Godmother can even begin to compare to Michael's in Madison or Kopp's (16% butterfat with low overrun) in Milwaukee. I'd also put Leon's (in Milwaukee) which manufactures the machines that both are made from, up there too. In D. C. the best frozen custard is in Vienna at the local outpost of Neilsen's which is a Salt Lake City outfit whose owner worked at Kopp's and, about twenty years ago, left for Utah to open his version of the Milwaukee legend. Neilsen's lacks the imaginative flavors of the Dairy Godmother but the basic vanilla and chocolate are outstanding. Neilsen's concrete are also better than Ted Drewes which invented them in St. Louis. Finally, the Dairy Godmother-for basic flavors-pales in comparison to the Fredericksburg icon, Carl's.

I am not dissing the Dairy Godmother but before people on this board begin to rave endlessly they need to eat a bit of frozen custard where it matters. Carl's uses the original ElectroFreeze machines from the early '50's as does Klein's in Harrisonburg, VA. The Frozen Dairy Bar in Falls Church is, essentially, gone with only these two outposts left in the entire state of VA for scooped frozen custard made from the original '50's era machines. The Dairy Godmother does NOT have very rich custard. Unlike the best places in Milwaukee (i.e. Kopp's, Leon's which are both much richer with the same low overrun (standard for custard) ) the Del Rey location has GREAT ambience, wonderful personality from those behind the counter and only decent custard which seems better because of where it is eaten.

I've been there four times now and continue leaving wondering what everyone on this board continues to rave about. I strongly suggest that a few should go to Milwaukee or Rochester or Buffalo (Anderson's) before raving about the Dairy Godmother. Or Vienna to Neilsen's.

How many times do we have to hear this same story. We know, we know, the best frozen custard is from Milwaukee. That does not mean that folks cannot like, enjoy, rave, or whatever about other places? Do we have to visit Afghanistan before we can rave about Bamian? Do we have to travel to Ethiopia before raving about Etete? I have raved about some Pho places, but have never been to Vietman, does that make my comments worthless? Please...

<snip>

Finally, the Dairy Godmother-for basic flavors-pales in comparison to the Fredericksburg icon, Carl's. <snip>

Or Vienna to Neilsen's.

Disagree entirely about Carls. I had some ice cream (well, I call it ice cream) at Carl's a week or two ago -- it's nice enough if you happen to be in Fredericksburg (like, finally blowing your top on I-95 and bailing) but not at all worth a special trip.

My younger son is going away to college in a week so we've been hitting every ice cream stand together for the past month or so, increasing our belt sizes as we go, and the boys rate Nielson's highest so far.

Carl's has that nice old time ambience, cash only, you can't come inside, just sit on tables near the parking lot. It was a very hot day (over 100) and it really hit the spot.

But Nielson's, there are nice wooden tables and chairs to sit on inside, they've got air conditioning, and you can get a sandwich, too.

We haven't hit all the high points yet so am not willing to say which is the best -- we haven't done Dickie's or Gifford's -- but so far am leaning towards Thomas Sweet, myself.

(We're also doing kebabs. Last year was pizza.)

I had my first visit to the Dairy Godmother last night...and I'm terribly ashamed that I never discovered it before!

I went last night and sampled the banana pudding custard. It was UNbelieveable. The smooth custard was light and refreshing, especially when mixed with the banana puree and flecks of nilla wafers. The banana flavor exploded in my mouth, but was not harsh or overwhelming.

My friend (and I :) ) also tried the vanilla custard with the oatmeal crisp topping. It was sweet, crispy, and surprisingly light. Think toasted oats with brown sugar, not heavy streusel topping (not that there's anything wrong with that).

We had very helpful and friendly service, and the ambiance was so charming.

By the way, I saw an unfarmiliar flavor comming up...Khulfi? What's THAT? And what are your favorite concoctions? I wait wait to try them all!