Artisan Confections - Chocolatier Jason Andelman in Clarendon and Mosaic District

Andelman

The bon bon review in the food section of the Post today seemed right on. Congratulations,Jason! Your stuff looked awesome!

Kingsbury chocolate IS disappointing. The caramels are great but the texture of the creams is awful and the products look sloppy.The popcornballs are the best thing I have ever had but do not a chocolatier make.

People will buy anything as long as it is pink,chocolate or shrimp. I have spoken.

Thank you. Of course, we are dissapointed we didnt actually "win" the tasting, but like someone else said "different strokes for different folks". I think that statement holds true to most food items, as it is a very subjective matter indeed. As for our chocolates, we hope you all try them out and make your own opinion.

Jason,

I have only seen your chocolates in packages of twelve and greater. Is there anywhere I can buy a couple to sample. I am sure they are good but I have a thing where I can't keep chocolate around, and no matter what I say I don't share!

I look forward to trying your chocolates as they are very pretty.

Thanks!

Nancy

Edited by NCPinDC

Jason,

I have only seen your chocolates in packages of twelve and greater. Is there anywhere I can buy a couple to sample. I am sure they are good but I have a thing where I can't keep chocolate around, and no matter what I say I don't share!

Thanks!

Nancy

Your best bet is to check out Periwinkle, which is on Livingston St. in NW DC. It is a small gift/chocolate shop just off Connecticut Ave., near Friendship Hts. They carry our chocolates by the piece, as well as by the box. Also, we have a 4-piece box that a few of the stores carry (Best Cellars in Arlington and The Winery in Old Town). Good Luck.

Hello All-

I just wanted to let all of you know that Artisan Confections has now opened a small retail shop in North Arlington. It is located at 4815-B Lee Highway which is almost at the intersection of Glebe (in the same strip as Subway, Dominos and the Indian grocery). We are very close to Arrowine, Pastries by Randolph, and Heidelberg Bakery. I will be selling our signature bon-bons (all made with Valrhona chocolate) as well as some other confectionery products. I will also be selling Valrhona chocolate in bulk by the pound for all of your home baking needs.

I have been selling boxed chocolates wholesale to various retail stores in the DC area for some time now and when the space became available it was hard to pass up. To be perfectly honest, I took the space mainly for the production aspect and the retail was more of an afterthought. Our summer hours will be somewhat limited (Mon-Fri, 11-6 PM), however, after Labor Day we plan on being open Saturday and maybe until 8:00 PM one night per week.

If you are not familiar with the chocolates, please check out our website at www.artisanconfections.com

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions and please come by and check out our store. I look forward to any feedback you may have and I hope that Artisan Confections will become your first choice for fine chocolates in the DC area.

Cheers,

Jason

I just wanted to let all of you know that Artisan Confections has now opened a small retail shop in North Arlington. It is located at 4815-B Lee Highway which is almost at the intersection of Glebe (in the same strip as Subway, Dominos and the Indian grocery). We are very close to Arrowine, Pastries by Randolph, and Heidelberg Bakery.

On which side of Glebe is that--the Arrowine/Randolph's side or the Heidelberg Bakery side?

On which side of Glebe is that--the Arrowine/Randolph's side or the Heidelberg Bakery side?

The shop is west of Glebe, so I guess that would be the Heidelberg side. Although we are on the other side of the street. We are directly across from Cowboy Cafe (1/2 price burgers all day on Tuesdays) and Ricks Tatoo. There is parking either next to Subway or next to Dominos. Hope that helps.

Jason

The shop is west of Glebe, so I guess that would be the Heidelberg side. Although we are on the other side of the street. We are directly across from Cowboy Cafe (1/2 price burgers all day on Tuesdays) and Ricks Tatoo. There is parking either next to Subway or next to Dominos. Hope that helps.

Jason

Jason, I picked up a box of your chocolates as a hostess present a few weekends ago. My friend can't stop raving about them. I saw them (they are beautiful) but did not get to sample... I look forward to paying you a visit.

Jason,

Thanks!

Nancy

We stopped by Jason's shop on Lee Hwy this evening and picked up a small assortment of truffles by the piece. Since it was just for personal consumption, we got them unboxed, and they were only $1.25 a piece. Delicious and easy on the wallet. We also picked up a pound of bulk 72% Valrhona bittersweet chocolate. These come in the form of small oval disks, perfect for snacking.

Jason's truffles are really outstanding. The flavors really enhance the flavor of the chocolate without overpowering them. We picked out the malted milk chocolate (my 2 yr old liked that it was blue), salted caramel, and the mint. All really good and making me wish I'd picked out more.

We stopped by Jason's shop on Lee Hwy this evening and picked up a small assortment of truffles by the Jason's truffles are really outstanding. The flavors really enhance the flavor of the chocolate without overpowering them. We picked out the malted milk chocolate (my 2 yr old liked that it was blue), salted caramel, and the mint. All really good and making me wish I'd picked out more.

The salted butter caramel are like liquid crack! I bought Paula a 24-count box and she was kind enough to share them with me. All flavors were enjoyed, particularly the cinnamon honey and the pistachio.

The salted butter caramel are like liquid crack! I bought Paula a 24-count box and she was kind enough to share them with me. All flavors were enjoyed, particularly the cinnamon honey and the pistachio.

Pete-

Glad you enjoyed the chocolates. Actually, the salted butter caramel is made with crystal meth, not liquid crack like you thought(so for all you tweakers out there.....). :unsure: Also, I like to add that the honey I use for the cinnamon-honey ganache comes from a local beekeeper on George Mason Dr. in Arlington. The guy has hives out near Winchester, VA, but he also has quite a few in his backyard. The honey is nice and what I would consider the definition of "local"....

Jason sells some small bags of chocolatey confections in addition to the bon bons in his shop. On our last visit there, we picked up a bag of dark chocolate, toffee, pretzel and crushed cocoa nib things. These things are almost as addictive as the crystal meth caramels. The toffee adds that slightly salty buttery note that goes so well with the chocolates.

And for those who get the Arlington Sun Gazette, Jason's got his picture in it this week in an article about small Arlington businesses.

I hope everyone is having a nice summer. Here at the shop I am trying to get ready for the upcoming season by working on new flavors for our signature bon-bons. I also got a new toy. It is a very nice enrobing machine (albeit small) which will enable me to produce more chocolates and an overall better product. Anyway, I just got the machine and have been testing and fine-tuning it for the last 2 days.

Well, I now have about 750 pieces of fresh chocolates that need to be consumed. Since most of the chocolates are not perfect and since they are new flavors I have decided to give them away. So, for those of you not busy this weekend, we are having an open house/tasting at our shop this Saturday, August 12 from 2-4 PM.

Please come by and check out our new store and have some free chocolates. Of course we have our regular items available for sale, but my main motivation for this open house is to give away all of the "less-than-perfect" chocolates I just made. If anything it is nice a cool in here and a good break from the heat (although I done think it is going to be too hot this weekend). So come by, check out or stuff, eat some chocolates, and take a few home for a late night snack.

Just FYI, we are located at 4815-B Lee Highway in Arlington. The shop is between Glebe and George Mason. We are directly across the street from Cowboy Cafe and right next to a Subway. You can park in the lot next to Subway or next to Domino's Pizza. We are very close to Arrowine, Heidelberg Bakery, Pastries by Randolph, and some other great food destinations. Hope to see some of you on Saturday.

Cheers,

Jason

I hope everyone is having a nice summer. Here at the shop I am trying to get ready for the upcoming season by working on new flavors for our signature bon-bons. I also got a new toy. It is a very nice enrobing machine (albeit small) which will enable me to produce more chocolates and an overall better product. Anyway, I just got the machine and have been testing and fine-tuning it for the last 2 days.

Well, I now have about 750 pieces of fresh chocolates that need to be consumed. Since most of the chocolates are not perfect and since they are new flavors I have decided to give them away. So, for those of you not busy this weekend, we are having an open house/tasting at our shop this Saturday, August 12 from 2-4 PM.

Please come by and check out our new store and have some free chocolates. Of course we have our regular items available for sale, but my main motivation for this open house is to give away all of the "less-than-perfect" chocolates I just made. If anything it is nice a cool in here and a good break from the heat (although I done think it is going to be too hot this weekend). So come by, check out or stuff, eat some chocolates, and take a few home for a late night snack.

Just FYI, we are located at 4815-B Lee Highway in Arlington. The shop is between Glebe and George Mason. We are directly across the street from Cowboy Cafe and right next to a Subway. You can park in the lot next to Subway or next to Domino's Pizza. We are very close to Arrowine, Heidelberg Bakery, Pastries by Randolph, and some other great food destinations. Hope to see some of you on Saturday.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason: I was just reading this thread with a mental note that I have to take my boyfriend here and taste some of your cholocates in the future. Then I go to this post! WOW! 750 pieces of chocolate that are less then perfect! I'm there and will try to bring others as well. Thanks for the offer. I love chocolate.

I now have about 750 pieces of fresh chocolates that need to be consumed. Since most of the chocolates are not perfect and since they are new flavors I have decided to give them away. So, for those of you not busy this weekend, we are having an open house/tasting at our shop this Saturday, August 12 from 2-4 PM.

Wow. I hope there's lots of parking nearby. :) Be prepared for the deluge, man. It's going to look like a DR reunion in there.

Cheers,

Jason

I guess I should clarify before people start showing up with insulated backpacks ready to fill up with chocolates. We will be tasting about 4-5 different chocolates in the store. We will have some small bags available for people to take a few chocolates home with them if they like. I am going to limit the "to-go' chocolates to 3 per person. We want to share the wealth as much as possible. The chocolates we will be tasting are new chocolates for the upcoming season. We will have a few varietal ganaches (85% and 64% Manjari), some sea salt caramels, and a new PB and J which I need feedback on. Basically it is a 2-layer chocolate. One layer is a strawberry pate de fruit and on top is a layer of peanut putter combined with honey, chocolate, and some crunch. All chocolates are enrobed with 61% bittersweet. Other chocolates include a lemon-hazelnut, fresh ginger, and a few pieces of homemade pecan marzipan. I hope that helps clarify things, i dont want anyone to leave dissapointed...

Cheers,

Jason

I guess I should clarify before people start showing up with insulated backpacks ready to fill up with chocolates. We will be tasting about 4-5 different chocolates in the store. We will have some small bags available for people to take a few chocolates home with them if they like. I am going to limit the "to-go' chocolates to 3 per person. We want to share the wealth as much as possible. The chocolates we will be tasting are new chocolates for the upcoming season. We will have a few varietal ganaches (85% and 64% Manjari), some sea salt caramels, and a new PB and J which I need feedback on. Basically it is a 2-layer chocolate. One layer is a strawberry pate de fruit and on top is a layer of peanut putter combined with honey, chocolate, and some crunch. All chocolates are enrobed with 61% bittersweet. Other chocolates include a lemon-hazelnut, fresh ginger, and a few pieces of homemade pecan marzipan. I hope that helps clarify things, i dont want anyone to leave dissapointed...

Cheers,

Jason

Not to worry Jason, we are just having some fun. Hmm, PB&J and some pecan marzipan. I will have to stop by now.

I am going to limit the "to-go' chocolates to 3 per person. We want to share the wealth as much as possible.

Oh well. I guess I should cancel the U-Haul that I rented. :)

All kidding aside, this is a very generous offer and we hope to be able to stop by on Saturday.

Jason: I'm salivating at the descriptions. This is veyr generous and i am more than happy to be your a taster. I wil have to convince my boyfriend to come too and give his input. He is new to the entire "tasting" phenomena, but he is open to trying new things. See you Saturday at 2 pm

WELL???

Jason is a very nice guy, the new enrobing machine is tres cool if you're a gearhead, and the chocolates are both beautiful and delicious. I was especially fond of the manjari (just a plain dark varietal, I think), and the sea salt caramel. Mr P preferred the lemon hazelnut. We went home with a box of twelve assorted, which we're slowly working through.

We made an expedition of it by checking out Arrowine, Pastries by Randolph, and Heidelberg.

Thanks to those of you that came out. We had a nice turnout and we were able to move through a fair amount of chocolates. We still have some left, so if anyone is in the area over the next day or so, please come by for some tasting. We will still be selling the sample pieces for $.50/piece, what a bargain....I will be open from 11-6.

Cheers,

Jason

My mini-review of some chocolates I purchased from Artisan Confections:

-85% cocoa truffles-very smooth and chocolatey, not too sweet and not at all bitter or harsh

-ginger & rum-very mild ginger flavor, good amount of rum flavor, at least for someone like me who prefers the flavor without the harsh taste of the liquor

-pecan marzipan-not a fan of these, the filling was a bit sweet for my taste

-chocolate covered caramels-awesome, I love sea salt caramels in all forms

-Gua-something-my husband ate all of these up before I returned from my business trip. He thought they were good.

-peanut butter and jelly-the pate de fruit had a great consistency that kept the filling from oozing when you bit into it. I liked this one much more than I expected to and would definitely buy them again

The chocolate enrobing machine is tres cool.

For Jason, I am interested in knowing the brand and price of your enrobing machine, since I was unable to make it and come check it out in person. I am a chocolatier in the making and working on opening up my business in Ecuador (it's a long story, but my wife is from there and we are making plans to move), so am always looking for information on equipment. Thanks!

For Jason, I am interested in knowing the brand and price of your enrobing machine, since I was unable to make it and come check it out in person. I am a chocolatier in the making and working on opening up my business in Ecuador (it's a long story, but my wife is from there and we are making plans to move), so am always looking for information on equipment. Thanks!

Atlarge-

I sent you a PM, but I am not sure it worked. In any case, please contact me at jason@artisanconfections.com and I would be happy to share the details.

Cheers,

Jason

FWIW, Andelman is doing live demos on Channel 5 right now and, I presume, will be for the next hour or so.
I tried to go to the website to catch the replay, but am having difficulty viewing the video. Maybe others will have better luck. Go to www.fox5dc.com, click on the fox morning tab and the link to play the video is shown below.

Hello all. Just a few items to add as the holiday season approaches. Our retail shop at 4815-B Lee Highway is now open on Saturdays from 12-4 PM, in addition to our weekday hours of 11-6. As the holidays get closer I will be here 7 days a week, so if you need chocolates outside of our regular hours please call or send an e-mail, most likely I will be here. Also, we are trying to get most of our orders in early. So, we are offering a 5% discount on any orders for the holidays placed before December 9th. Last year we sold out of chocolate about a week before X-Mas, so we dont want that to happen again. Obviously, the discount is only on orders picked up or shipped after the 9th (basically the 2 weeks leading up to X-Mas Day). Keep in mind that our chocolates have a shelf life of about 2-3 weeks. We hope you all decide to use our chocolates for your holiday gift giving, parties, and of course general consumption. We will soon have our online ordering up and running, but for now if anyone would like to order chocolates please phone or send an email. Thanks to all for your support and I hope to see you all in the future.

Regards,

Jason

BTW, if anyone saw the piece on FOX Morning News last week, the camera really does add 10 pounds... :)

Jason came in for dinner and brought me a little assortment. Being diabetic, I was a good boy and just ate 2 peices the first day (as did Kay). One was not my stylee, but the ball with caramel was insane. The next day I sat down and binged and finished off the box. As they say... moderation in all things including moderation. So unfortunately I will no, repeat NOT, be getting any more any time soon, they are just too farking good!

PS Pre weigh-in

I cannot believe that I just discovered this shop by accident yesterday. Show you how much time I spend in the Shopping and Cooking thread :lol:

I didn't buy any for myself yet (still carrying the holiday pounds, alas...) but I bought some for my mother, and placed shipping orders for two of my siblings whose birthdays are the same week.

Some of these things look like tiny works of art, little jewels which belong under glass in a museum. The temptation is terrible.

I fear that I'm going to become only too well-known to Jason, since his shop is right near my dry cleaners :unsure:

I cannot believe that I just discovered this shop by accident yesterday.

Dear Joe, considering where some of your other gustatory interests lie, I suggest contacting the esteemed Mr. Andelman and inquiring of him when he will be making more of his recent experimental flavor: 18yo Elijah Craig Bourbon. :lol:

Dear Joe, considering where some of your other gustatory interests lie, I suggest contacting the esteemed Mr. Andelman and inquiring of him when he will be making more of his recent experimental flavor: 18yo Elijah Craig Bourbon. :unsure:

Ah, but he has them in stock as of this week B) I went in this past Wednesday to pick up some gift chocolates (including some for friends who prevailed upon me to obtain some for them since I'm in such close proximity) I think that poor, overworked Jason either took pity on me, or he just had to do a postmodern twist on the snake and the apple in the garden of Eden, because he gave me a sample of that very confection and it sent me over the moon. 40% milk chocolate ganache (sp?) with Elijah Craig 18-yr Bourbon - *drool* Of course I had to buy some. The only question remaining is, with whom do I share them? (the line forms here----> )

Thanks to Jason, all of my concerns about idle, disposable income, are a thing of the past :lol:

I just had to scrape a thin veneer of chocolate off of my mouse buton prior to writing this, so here's a fresh opinion indeed.

You owe it to your tongue to stop by and get a mint tea truffle. Tastes just like mint tea, if it was stripped of any this-is-what-I-drink-when-I-have-a-cold connotation and replaced with lots of sex outdoors in an alpine meadow.

It's pretty good.

Ah, but he has them in stock as of this week :lol: I went in this past Wednesday to pick up some gift chocolates (including some for friends who prevailed upon me to obtain some for them since I'm in such close proximity) I think that poor, overworked Jason either took pity on me, or he just had to do a postmodern twist on the snake and the apple in the garden of Eden, because he gave me a sample of that very confection and it sent me over the moon. 40% milk chocolate ganache (sp?) with Elijah Craig 18-yr Bourbon - *drool* Of course I had to buy some. The only question remaining is, with whom do I share them? (the line forms here----> )

Thanks to Jason, all of my concerns about idle, disposable income, are a thing of the past :o

Oooh, I know a certain Tripewriter (and friends) who would looooove these! Are they still on offer?

Oooh, I know a certain Tripewriter (and friends) who would looooove these! Are they still on offer?

I think that we're in luck. I was just in there two days ago and Jason came to the sensible conclusion that he needs to make more of these. (cue the 'Snoopy dance").

Being the good sport that I am, and with a completely self-serving ulterior motive, I offered to supply Jason with the Elijah Craig 18-year at my wholesale cost if it will help his creative endeavors. Jason informs me that a standard bottle of the stuff goes quite a long way, so he won't need my help just yet.

Please feel free to go to his website and badger him remorselessly about this very topic :o

By the way, I finally gave in and tried a 12-piece sampler myself At least, I BOUGHT one for myself, I've only tried a few pieces so far (I second the aforementioned opinion re: the Mint Tea chocolate - YUM!)

Oh, and try the chocolate-covered almonds. They are to die for.

I stopped in before the snow/ice last week to buy Mr. BLB's Valentine's Day Gift. I enjoyed the pieces I tried but I have to admit that I watched in horror as he snarfed down most of the box, piece after piece, without taking much time to savor each piece.

I think he's getting less good chocolate next year and I'll just get this for myself.

We were headed to a friend's house for dinner last night so I picked up some of these much discussed bourbon chocolates to share. My husband and I don't drink bourbon but thought these were fantastic. Our friends do enjoy bourbon and were equally enamoured of the chocolates. Since I don't drink bourbon, my perception may be a little off but I thought what made these so delicious was that you had the mellow flavor the bourbon without the sharpness of the alcohol. It could also be that the 18 year old Elijah Craig bourbon is just that smooth.

I don't know how recently he added them to his repertoire, but I think Jason's lemon-and-hazelnut chocolates are brilliant...one of those uncommon chocolates that is satisfyingly balanced. I don't know how else to describe it. No single note overwhelms the others, and that bit of lemon is just right for summertime.

I don't know how recently he added them to his repertoire, but I think Jason's lemon-and-hazelnut chocolates are brilliant...one of those uncommon chocolates that is satisfyingly balanced. I don't know how else to describe it. No single note overwhelms the others, and that bit of lemon is just right for summertime.

Glad you enjoyed the chocolates. We have had the Lemon-Hazelnut in the repertoire for some time and it has become a very popular piece. Just FYI, the summer is when we typically work on new flavors, new designs, packaging, etc...So, please stop by if you are in the area. We haver new flavors we are sampling out and we usually sell these at a discount until the enter the "main" line of chocolates. We are trying hard to increase our retail business, and after Labor Day we will be extending our hours to accomodate potential customers. We will also be adding new products in the Fall, hopefully to include some "Drinking Chocolate" mixes and other chocolatey items besides our bon-bons.

Also, we will be adding more dates for our classes in the Fall and I would happy to organize another DR group class at a discount if anyone is interested.

So anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and please stop by the shop and say hello.

Regards,

Jason