Artisan Confections - Chocolatier Jason Andelman in Clarendon and Mosaic District

Andelman

Green and orange leaves would be Orange-Clove (61% ganache infused with orange zest and clove)

Yeah, I am a big fan of the Earl Grey Tea as well. We use the very fruity 64% Manjari in the particular bon-bon, which seems to work with the Earl Grey.

Clove! Thank you! I knew it was some sort of spice, but I couldn't place it.

Also, my girlfriend liked the cherry bark as well. She's vegan so she can't partake in the ganache bon-bons...more for me!

The open house was terrific. I bought a bunch of stuff (you could never buy too much), including a 15-piece box that I brought up to NJ for Thanksgiving as a hostess gift. At our friend's house, the hostess wanted to put out the chocolates. I told her to hide them and keep them for herself. I think I became her favorite Thanksgiving guest, as she e-mailed me the other day and said " You were right to have me hide the chocolates—I WILL NOT share them!!"

• Like 1

Artisan Confections (AC) is one of those places I felt like I knew even though I'd never been there. So much great stuff here on dr.com between all the fab reviews, the owner's engagement with the community (love that!), the events held in the past and, of course, the recent expansion of the business to a second store out by Merrifield.

Earlier this week, I finally made it to AC. I was able to stop by the Arlington store. While bummed Jason wasn't there so didn't get a chance to meet him, the women working were great (though incredibly they did not recognize the donrockwell name at all--que horror! :D ). The shop and chocolates are all beautiful; almost like a museum. Plenty of space to browse with a fairly open production area in the back and immaculately maintained glass cases displaying a relatively small number of chocolates.

There's a simplicity and elegance to AC in how most of the space is open and you're not overwhelmed by 1000 skus in all directions. This intensifies focus on the product, a relatively small number of choices and upon the seriousness with which everything is crafted balancing design/art and flavor. If AC was a smartphone, clearly it'd be an iphone and not a blackberry; very bauhausian. Steve Jobs would approve.

I bought a single sea salt caramel, one of my normal benchmarks in a first visit. A perfectly symmetrical dark chocolate orb with the most elegant and wispy patina of butter yellow atop the truffle. And...delicious. So refined and rich, befitting the focus on exceptional ingredients I know is at the shop's core.

Then got a bag of simple 70% coins for someone who likes chocolate more for health reasons than, well, other reasons. Her eyebrows rose when she tried a first one.

Finally, a box of chocolate covered buttery rich toffee. Mmmmm.

Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to make a class/event if done again for dr.com. What a great shop for holiday time (or anytime)!

Artisan Confections (AC) is one of those places I felt like I knew even though I'd never been there. So much great stuff here on dr.com between all the fab reviews, the owner's engagement with the community (love that!), the events held in the past and, of course, the recent expansion of the business to a second store out by Merrifield.

Earlier this week, I finally made it to AC. I was able to stop by the Arlington store. While bummed Jason wasn't there so didn't get a chance to meet him, the women working were great (though incredibly they did not recognize the donrockwell name at all--que horror! :D ). The shop and chocolates are all beautiful; almost like a museum. Plenty of space to browse with a fairly open production area in the back and immaculately maintained glass cases displaying a relatively small number of chocolates.

There's a simplicity and elegance to AC in how most of the space is open and you're not overwhelmed by 1000 skus in all directions. This intensifies focus on the product, a relatively small number of choices and upon the seriousness with which everything is crafted balancing design/art and flavor. If AC was a smartphone, clearly it'd be an iphone and not a blackberry; very bauhausian. Steve Jobs would approve.

I bought a single sea salt caramel, one of my normal benchmarks in a first visit. A perfectly symmetrical dark chocolate orb with the most elegant and wispy patina of butter yellow atop the truffle. And...delicious. So refined and rich, befitting the focus on exceptional ingredients I know is at the shop's core.

Then got a bag of simple 70% coins for someone who likes chocolate more for health reasons than, well, other reasons. Her eyebrows rose when she tried a first one.

Finally, a box of chocolate covered buttery rich toffee. Mmmmm.

Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to make a class/event if done again for dr.com. What a great shop for holiday time (or anytime)!

Thanks for all the kind words. Yeah, I've been back and forth a lot between the 2 stores these days, so I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you in person. The 70% coins we sell are Valrhona Guanaja. I am pretty sure it is the same chocolate Robb uses in his gelato as well. Good stuff.

The accounting firm that works closely with the law firm I work for sends us an assortment of these wonderful chocolates every year for the holidays. This year my favorite has been the lavender caramel..... of the ones I've been able to try. I think there are 2 pieces left (maybe), and the box arrived on Monday.

So, this is something we did last year and I'd like to do it again (for those that couldn't make it or for new members).

Full disclosure, I am actually using you fine folks as a practice run for a similiar tasting we will be doing for a press event the following week. Unfortunately, I am going to be out of town for said press event, so I want to show my staff what they will need to do. So, here we go....

WHEN: Wednesday August 7th at 7 PM

WHERE: Artisan Confections shop in Clarendon (1025 N Fillmore St.)

WHO: only DR.com members. I (Jason) will be conducting the tasting.

WHAT and WHY: Well, I really just want to share with you all what we do here at Artisan Confections. I'm going to give a demo/talk about how we make our bon-bons and caramels and we will taste a multitude of products as we go. My goal is to have everyone walk away with a better idea of what we are all about. In that same vein, I would like to have an open discussion about the business side of things and how we operate. Look at the evening at as a 'behind the scenes" look at what we do here, both on the production and business sides. I am only inviting Dr.com members to this event because I am looking for some lively conversation from people that really, truly care about food and (from what I can tell) small businesses in general.

COST: Like last time, I am just going to put out a box for tips in order to help cover costs. No payment is necessary, but if you'd like to contribute a small amount we'd appreciate it. Don't feel obligated though....

HOW: Please send me an email at jason@artisanconfections.com or PM to confirm your spot. No phone calls please. I really only have room for 20(possibly a few more) people maximum, so once it is full I'll start a wait list. The more the merrier, so I hope we can get a full house!

If you have any general questions, please post them here I will answer as promptly as I can.

Best,

• Like 3

Speaking of chocolate bars, or discs, you don't sell the caramello discs in the bag like you do the other chocolate do you?  Oh that was magical stuff right there.

Hey, good to see you today. Sorry my hands were full when you came in....

Next time you are here, just ask and I can sell you some of the Caramelia. We don't have it on the shelves.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason,

You have some Caramelia? Mmm. Does your Mosaic location usually have some? I'm asking...for a friend.

Also, since Caramelia is a Valrhona product, have you tried that new "blond" chocolate they're promoting? Seems sort of like halfway between white and the caramelia.

Dear Santa, er, Jason,

Thank you for creating the mixology collection. The shape of the chocolates is cool yet refined and the flavors so far are wonderful. I'm so glad mint julep made it into the lineup and I'm saving it for last! I'm sad that we only got one set so I have share each piece so we both can have a taste. Next year we'll know better...

:rolleyes:

You guys, this little box is the perfect stocking stuffer for pretty much anyone. Go get 'em!!!

Hey all.

If anyone is interested, we still have some spots available in our chocolate class on Wednesday, March 16th from 7-9 PM in our Arlington shop.

It's a whole lot of fun and you go home with a bunch of chocolates that you'll decorate yourself (along with other goodies). We discuss how chocolate is made (bean-to-bar), how we make our bonbons, a bunch of tasting of Valrhona chocolate, hands-on decorating, etc, etc...

In any case, the class is normally $85/pp, but would be $75/pp for anyone on DR.com. If interested, please PM me here to make the reservation, or email me at jason@artisanconfections.com . Don't call the shop, as it will result in confusion. :)

Hope we can get a few more to sign up, it always makes the class more lively!

Cheers,

Jason

Note: Please feel free to post this on the events page or grab a couple of friends. Spots are limited, so please let me know ASAP.