Source: Philadelphia Magazine » Foobooz

blackbird-vegan-cheesesteak-yotc-940.jpg

Vance Lehmkuhl has been compiling nominations for Philadelphia's best vegan cheesesteak for the  Philadelphia Daily News. He received over 1,000 nominations for 23 Philadelphia area vegan cheesesteaks. From those nominations, Lehmkuhl wittled his field down to three finalists; Blackbird Pizzeria, Cantina Dos Segundos and Hibiscus Juice Bar.

Cantina Dos Segundos walked away with the people's choice award for their vegan cheesesteak burrito. The spices seemed to push that one over the top. The "professional judges," Jonathan Bagot (veganjawn.com), Takia McClendon (Uptown Soul Food), Frank Olivieri Jr. (Pat's Steaks) and Christina Pirello (local author) went in ...

Read full article >>

This is wrong on so many levels. What self respecting vegan would crave a fake cheesesteak?

This is wrong on so many levels. What self respecting vegan would crave a fake cheesesteak?

It has been my experience that these types of things are for cardiac patients who ate a few too many of the original cheesesteaks, but now are on strict diets.

The cardiac patients I know, who are friends and relatives, aren't put on low carb or low calorie so much as low saturated fats, and animal fats are anathema.  Yes, I know there's a study out demonstrating sat fats aren't as evil as some think, but the advice from their doctors has not changed.  Enter the fake meats, particularly sausage.