Republic, Investor Alan Newton in Ballston in the Former Leek Space - Closed

Soft opening report...

I stopped in to check out the new restaurant layout and was pleasantly surprised by the quick makeover and the quality of the food.  I had the sliders on their happy hour menu and also picked up chicken and waffles to go, since I live close by.  Based on first impressions, the staff is still in soft opening mode and working hard to iron out the kinks while building a positive flow between bar, ordering, and dealing with new systems on short notice.  Overall I think they have a solid foundation since the food has proven to be quite good, and on par with Rustico. This is a good sign since I'm guessing Ballston can accommodate another restaurant that delivers interesting food at a moderate price point.  I'm curious to see what their sign will look like and how they will use the covered outdoor space.  Although, their proximity to a busy intersection may make this challenging.

Overall a good start to a new restaurant opening in a location where others have failed.

• Like 3

Overall a good start to a new restaurant opening in a location where others have failed. 

This is the problem: location, and I don't have an explanation for it.  That corner is just where prospectively good restaurants go to and die, so i will light a candle and get over there for a bar call soonest.

This is the problem: location, and I don't have an explanation for it.  That corner is just where prospectively good restaurants go to and die, so i will light a candle and get over there for a bar call soonest.

You've got non-convenient parking - the biggest source is over a block away. Especially now that you walk past Rustico.

The area, and I live here, isn't great for destination or just walking around traffic unless you're on a major road. In that part of Arlington, Wilson is not a major walking road. It's dark and not-happy.

Maybe when they finish the building across from Ballston mall it'll be better, like when they finished the new buildings on Glebe and you got the BW-3, Mussel Bar, etc.

• Like 2

You've got non-convenient parking - the biggest source is over a block away. Especially now that you walk past Rustico.

The area, and I live here, isn't great for destination or just walking around traffic unless you're on a major road. In that part of Arlington, Wilson is not a major walking road. It's dark and not-happy.

Maybe when they finish the building across from Ballston mall it'll be better, like when they finished the new buildings on Glebe and you got the BW-3, Mussel Bar, etc.

I read FunnyJohn's post, and was about to chime in - then, I saw your reply which is just about exactly what I was going to write.

Yes, parking.

• Like 1

Right, I forgot to mention that -- when my wife and I went on a Saturday evening last year to Leek we had to park aways away and that pissed her off [me, I don't mind, as I'm used to walking and don't wear high heels].  Another couple said they had gone in the opposite direction -- up Wilson toward Clarendon and found a more convenient space.  The nearest garage closes early so it's not an option for dinner parking.

I am kind of shocked that in one of the densest neighborhoods in a major metropolitan area that parking would be the prime factor for a place being successful or not.  Bus, metro, Ballston garage.  There are plenty of ways for people to get here.  

If it becomes a destination restaurant that is all true.  Otherwise, parking here is a bit of a kluge.  That said, if you do not mind walking 2 or 3 blocks it is generally not a problem.  That said, many folks seem to find that a bother.

Is that nearest garage the Ballston Mall garage?  Is it too far?  Too expensive?  Luckily I can sort of walk there.  Depending on what I hear from this forum, I'll decide if I want to.

No, there is a garage either around the corner or next door -- I forget, but it closes early.  One of the irritating things about the time I went to Leek with my wife is that I called to ask about parking and was told there was a garage available, but when we got there for dinner, it was already closed.

in 1997 I left Richmond to help open the last of the Bistro Bistro locations, which is now Willow. I watched as the Qwest building went up and the neighboring area started to grow. I also watched as the neighbor restaurant, Rio Grande stayed jammed packed, while our seats sat empty. People always would say that parking was a nightmare and that none of the garages were accessable after certain hours. I begged the owners to allow for Valet and they scoffed at the idea and kept on saying "Look at all of the residential that is within 5 blocks of this place, no one drives to get here." That following Spring of 1998 I left Bistro Bistro to open Bistro Bis and never looked back. What I realized was that in fact people like the opportunity to have valet just in case. Ballston will grow as anchor establishments, Taylor Gourmet and Kappanos, open their doors in the near future.

I stopped at Republic Kitchen and Bar the other night and enjoyed it being early enough and taking  advantage of the HH bar menu.  The mussels were a huge portion, well prepared in a solid broth with bread to soak up the broth, tomatoes, and onions.  Tasty, and enormous value.

The setting is attractive.  A large rap around bar dominates the inside, along with a enormous window line, and high ceilings.  Its light bright and airy...and I'm a sucker for that kind of dining setting.  The restaurant offers plenty of covered seating outside.  Over the course of variable outdoor conditions that is a huge bonus.     Upon recommendation from one of the staff I also had the shrimp and grits.  Again tasty.  The shrimp were well prepared and zesty, the grits were smooth....the only thing that got me was the broth was virtually the same as that with the mussels. Personal poor choice for that evening..too repetitive, but again hearty and tasty.

I went back through the previous comments and have to agree with some of the previously referenced pros and cons of the location.  It is a previously dark stretch for foot traffic.  Yet with Kappanos opening catecorner to this location and Rustico a half block away on Wilson it has a restaurant, bar, and dining attractiveness.   Nearby parking is in the eyes of the beholder.  Ballston Common Mall offers enormous covered parking at all hours, and if one walks the length of the mall to the East end the restaurant is 1 block away.  That is convenient in my book and eliminates the need to hunt for a street space.

But it is also within a few moments walk from one of the densest residential populations within the entire region with blocks of 20 story residential buildings all within a few minutes walk.  That is dense and rarely seen anywhere in this region.  On its East side there is a similarly but somewhat less dense population in the Virginia Square region.  There are a lot of potential visitors to the restaurant and bar in that area....one just has to have an establishment that stands out for quality, value and ambiance.  I think Republic Kitchen and Bar is on the way to meeting that challenge.

I was around and working and dining in that area at the end of the 90's as Josh above referenced.  It was a bit strange.  Rio was always jammed.  Virtually always.  Bistro Bistro and restaurants that followed it were hit and miss and they stared across a small courtyard from one another.  If one hits the right chords for the market...there are a lot of customers in the region...and now there are lots more than there were 18 years ago.

• Like 1

Can anyone locate a webpage, or secondarily, a Facebook page for Republic? I can find nothing, and I'm skeptical that a restaurant in this location would have neither. (Thanks in advance, Rocks.)

---

ETA - Interesting: I just now saw this.

Edited by DonRocks

That is a problem website.  I scanned the code.  There isn't a single reference in code or print where the name Republic Kitchen and Bar;  or a reference to that name with the address comes up.

There is a "meta title"  It reads Republic Bar and Kitchen.   The words Republic Kitchen and Garden in the top banner are part of an image.  Computer bots can't read words inside an image.   There is a contact section on the first page.  It gives the name as Republic of Arlington.

As referenced above  it probably has an identity problem.  When I was there the staff called it Republic...and there is at least one other Republic in the region.

I enjoyed the food, appearance and ambiance on my one visit and if its any good the nearby residential density gives it a shot.  They should fix the name and web visibility to give it more of a shot.

The restaurant is now ranked for its name. First in Google.  I think the edit in this picture did it:   The code on the website is still the same as it was before.  Nothing changed there.  Google could have naturally made the change, but that would be a lot of coincidence;  too much in my perspective.  It could have been the link from this forum but I don't think so:   The link said  "clickety"   and it went to a website with nothing in the code that would tell google its real name.

It also occurred quickly after the edit was approved.

From a restaurant business perspective....whoo boy what a learning curve.  From my experience and history with regard to small businesses, it confirms the speed with which mapmaker can influence a site.

Its pretty interesting.  Working the maps index has on a very quick basis overcome weakness on the basic website seo.

Anyway if this sticks....if folks search for the restaurant by name it will now pop up.  (I still think no thanks to the web designer).  (shrugs)

EDIT:  It shows for some name searches.  It shows if you put in the full name and you are relatively close, ie arlington or falls church.  It shows if you search on republic kitchen and bar arlington.  It doesn't show if you search on republic kitchen and bar Ballston or Virginia Square.

Its still very very weak.  It needs work from the website designer, it needs work on something called citations, and it needs more content about location so that it shows with searches that include phrases such as Ballston, Clarendon, Virginia Square, etc......all of which are made by searchers.  (this is all from the perspective of google--I doubt the changes impacted bing)

post-9660-0-48232200-1401202067_thumb.gi

Is that nearest garage the Ballston Mall garage?  Is it too far?  Too expensive?  Luckily I can sort of walk there.  Depending on what I hear from this forum, I'll decide if I want to.

The Ballston Mall garage is $1.00 for the first 3 hours.  It is an easy 2 block walk.

Never navigate your boat through Isabella Cove.

Well it could be "Isabella Cove" but seriously that restaurant opened as a quasi restaurant and far more of a late night "clubbish/lounge" than anything else.   A couple of dishes...nothing significant.  Original managers were "club people".   I think the original investor was "hoodwinked" into opening something that was not what he thought it was going to be.  Just my opinion....but it was not a place to find distinguished food.  Never.

It happens.