Barboursville Vineyards Octagon 2010 "Special Edition" - To Be Released this Fall

Joe H

I am on Barboursville Vineyard's mailing list and today received their "news" which announces that there will be a special edition of Octagon 2010.  I called the winery and was told that it will probably be released in October.  It is a different wine from the 2010 Octagon:  the blend includes Nebbiolo which "traditional" Octagon does not.

There is also not a lot of it.  When I asked if a price has been established I was told no but that it might be "2X" the price of Octagon.  That is around $100 a bottle.

2009 Octagon is an extraordinary wine.  2010 is said to be in league with it (I have not tasted it yet.).  2010 Octagon Limited Edition may be the most extraordinary of all.

We have not heard the last of Virginia's 2010 vintage.

I must also add that when a winery goes to a price that approaches $100 it runs the very real risk of alienating some long standing customers.  That is a lot of money to pay for a bottle of wine.  A bottle may see that much as a "curiousity" or the belief it may hold its value as an investment.  But just to buy, to "invest" in a case and spend $1,200-that's a lot.

There are also a lot of alternatives at this price point.  And ways to bring the price down lower. The real risk is losing the faith and trust of customers who believe that they will pay a fair price for wine that they passionately support and help promote.

For me, for someone willing to buy by the case, $50 seems like a good premium price to get for a six or twelve pack sale of good wine.

Chateau O'Brien's 2009 Northpoint for $109 is "ambitious." We won't be buying any.  Nor going there.  A "special edition" of 2010 Octagon would still be special at $60 or 70.  It does not need to double.  Frankly, if it really is going to be $100 it devalues the $55  regular" Octagon.

Be careful with $100 Virginia wine.  It will come.  But I think we're still a few years away...

I have now tasted the 2010 Octagon:  it is a smooth, bordeaux like blend that needs at least an hour to open up.  I don't think it is on quite the level of the 2009 but it is a very good representative of Octagon.  Barboursville notes that they believe it is similar to their 1999 which they were tasting in a vertical at their winery last spring.  At that tasting there were, I think, seven or eight vintages of octagon available.  I preferred their 2001-the 2009 was still far too young and too tight to taste.

Now, with a year, the 2009 is ready.

FWIW A handful of Safeways in Va are selling 2009 Octagon for $35 and some change if you buy six bottles.  The 2010 is $45 and some change for six bottles.

A bit of perspective for how good 2009 Octagon is:  two weeks ago when VA Safeways put the $55 bottle on sale for $35 I took two hours and drove to six different stores (Three in Reston, Great Falls, Countryside, McLean and Elden street in Herndon).  I bought every bottle of 2009 Octagon that I could find.

FWIW A handful of Safeways in Va are selling 2009 Octagon for $35 and some change if you buy six bottles.  The 2010 is $45 and some change for six bottles.

A bit of perspective for how good 2009 Octagon is:  two weeks ago when VA Safeways put the $55 bottle on sale for $35 I took two hours and drove to six different stores (Three in Reston, Great Falls, Countryside, McLean and Elden street in Herndon).  I bought every bottle of 2009 Octagon that I could find.

Great. Now my desire to stock up on Octagon is battling my deep-seated, perhaps irrational but often justified, hatred for Safeway. :D

I have now tasted the 2010 Octagon:  it is a smooth, bordeaux like blend that needs at least an hour to open up.  I don't think it is on quite the level of the 2009 but it is a very good representative of Octagon.  Barboursville notes that they believe it is similar to their 1999 which they were tasting in a vertical at their winery last spring.  At that tasting there were, I think, seven or eight vintages of octagon available.  I preferred their 2001-the 2009 was still far too young and too tight to taste.

Now, with a year, the 2009 is ready.

Any opinions on the '08 Octagon?  I've got a bottle sitting in the cellar calling my name, but I'm wary of opening it too early.

Any opinions on the '08 Octagon?  I've got a bottle sitting in the cellar calling my name, but I'm wary of opening it too early.  

It's not nearly in league with the '09.  Honestly, I think one of the weaker Octagons and an entirely different wine from the '09.