Atlanta, GA

mame11

Fianceés birthday is this week, so I told him to pick any restaurant in Atlanta for dinner on me. After perusing menus and online reviews, he chose Craft Atlanta, the newest of Tom Colicchio's chain of restaurants. The atmosphere as a whole is lovely--lots of wood, warm lighting, and a vibe that is inviting in an accessible yet luxurious way. My only minor complaint is that the tables are a little close together, but we ended up sitting next to some great folks, so it was a minor offense.

We arrived about 20 minutes early and decided to have a cocktail at the bar. A "Tom's Collins" (oh, that clever Colicchio), consisting of Hendricks gin, bitter lemon soda, and cucumber, was refreshing and tasty. Jason's "Sunshine Squeeze," which had vodka, citrus, and ginger, was sweet and tart and well-balanced. The bartendress was very friendly and knew her stuff. After our first round, Jason had a beer and I had a glass of rose brut, and then we settled out our approximately $40 bar tab and journeyed upstairs for the main event.

Our server greeted us fairly quickly and gave us the menu rundown. Bread arrived, and it was pretty good, but the butter was rich, flavorful, AND served at the proper temperature (just a touch colder than room temp). I asked for a bottle of Sancerre, but that prompted the server to make a different recommendation in the same flavor and price range; we trusted him and were quite happy with the result, an Italian white that was dry and acidic while still maintaining a fruity quality. I wish I could remember what it was. I also wish that hadn't been the height of the server's usefulness.

When he returned to take our appetizer orders, we opted for sweetbreads ($17, roasted and served with candied kumquats) and slices of Wagyu tongue torchon, served with pickled jalapenos ($16, I believe). I also asked for one each of the three oysters available that night ($3 per). The oysters came out first, with a lovely mignonette, a few lemon slices, and an adorably teensy tiny bottle of Tabasco (Jason said that when he was in the military, each MRE came with one of those same bottles). The hot appetizers came next, and I recognized the Wagyu, but on the other plate were a few fried dumpling-esque bites and a gelatinous mass. Thinking that I had maybe misunderstood the preparation of the sweetbreads, I took a bite of the jelly. DEFINITELY not sweetbreads--somehow, the waiter heard me order "head cheese." Even though the mistake gave us a chuckle and enabled us to bond with our neighboring table (they were an awesome couple, and we ended up chatting and sharing bites throughout the remainder of the meal), it really was an awful error. I mean, I am STILL talking about how nasty that one bite was. In terms of the other appetizers, the Wagyu was good but not terribly memorable. The sweetbreads, however, were quite possibly the best I've ever had. The outside was perfectly caramelized, and the inside was firm yet tender. And the flavor? Out of this world, especially with the nice touch of sweetness at the end from the fruit. Delicious.

For entrees, Jason ordered the roasted swordfish ($27). He expressed some concern about its preparation to the server, since he wanted to make sure the fish would keep its firm texture without drying out. The server said that they were actually poaching it in olive oil, which sounded like the perfect way to get the desired result. Unfortunately, the server must have misled us a bit, because the dish was quite dry and really didn't seem like it had been poached. It still tasted fine, but I could tell that Jason was a bit disappointed. I opted for the braised beef short ribs with root vegetables ($28), which were absolutely delicious. The meat was tender and flavorful, and it reminded us of the best pot roast we've ever had. Everything is done a la carte, so we also ordered side dishes of cauliflower gratin ($7) and roasted Jerusalem artichokes ($8), both of which were superb.

Sometime in the middle of our meal, we were visited by a favorite waiter from another restaurant, who is now working at Craft and loving it. He gave us recommendations for dessert, and we trusted him wholeheartedly. So, we ordered glazed chocolate cake donuts ($11), roasted bananas ($4), and brown sugar ice cream ($4). The individual items were amazing, but the combination just knocked everything out of the park. It was insanely good, and it managed to be rich and decadent without feeling oppressively so. We tried our neighbor's Valrhona chocolate cake, which was good, but I would order our dessert trio again any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Jason had a glass of 20-year tawny port ($16), and I had coffee with a shot (read: magnum) of Bailey's. Sadly, our server had pretty much abandoned us by then, so when I needed a refill on the coffee he was nowhere to be found. Jason actually had to get up and find a servers assistant to fill my cup.

The server did eventually return to present the check, which I perused only to find that the head cheese was still on the bill. I flagged our server down to alert him to the error, and he fixed it when asked, but I thought it was a pretty careless mistake. It was as if that disgusting stuff was destined to stay in my memory forever, as it just kept inserting itself into our experience. After all was said and done, the total dinner tab, with tip, was $290. So, with our previous rounds at the bar, the whole evening rounded out for just under $350.

I knew Craft was going to be expensive. I have paid similar amounts for other dinners, and I truly believe that an amazing meal is worth that kind of money, as it is an experience for all of the senses. But did Craft live up to its billing? There were some incredibly high points, but there were also some significant flaws, specifically with the service. Craft touts itself as specializing in simple food, but forming an overall opinion has been anything but simple. I think, in the end, that I liked Craft--but I didn't love it. Perhaps with a different waiter, I could have loved it. Unfortunately, without a hefty expense account, I don't think I'll be able to find out anytime soon.

I haven't been to Spice Market, but I've heard decent things (not great, not bad). My fiance LOVES South City Kitchen. Ecco is also supposed to be very good in Midtown, and if you're willing to take a quick cab ride, you can be in Inman Park/Virginia Highlands, and there some great places in that neck of the woods (Wisteria immediately comes to mind, as does Rathbun's).

For a more casual meal, if you have time, try to get to the Vortex for a burger. Drool.

Let me know where you ended up!

I haven't been to Spice Market, but I've heard decent things (not great, not bad). My fiance LOVES South City Kitchen. Ecco is also supposed to be very good in Midtown, and if you're willing to take a quick cab ride, you can be in Inman Park/Virginia Highlands, and there some great places in that neck of the woods (Wisteria immediately comes to mind, as does Rathbun's).

For a more casual meal, if you have time, try to get to the Vortex for a burger. Drool.

Let me know where you ended up!

Thanks!

I ended up at Spice Market for a late dinner the first night since I was staying at the W. Very good food--fresh salmon sashimi, very nice shrimp dumpling soup, chocolate pecan pie and nice wine pairings with it. Service was effusive and sweet. My waiter told me an incredibly convoluted story about his senior trip to DC and a rave...

Second night I met a friend at South City Kitchen. I really, really, really liked it. So much that I am hoping I can find money in my office's depleted non-profit budget to go back for another program in March... Had the buttermilk fried oysters and the meatloaf.

I didn't try Vortex but it is definitely on the list for a future visit.

Unfortunately I rounded out the trip with dinner at Houlihan's at the airport. The stuffed mushrooms just aren't what I remember from my college days... :P

This past weekend, for the first time in a LONG time, my fiance and I were both in town and not sick. When I started brainstorming about places we could try, my mind kept going back to Craft. I wanted to revisit the restaurant, but I didn't want the formality and expense of the upstairs dining room. Instead, I wanted to put on my nicest pair of jeans, walk into the downstairs area, and see what the experience would be like at the bar. So, that's exactly what we did.

We got there at about 7:30 PM, and most of the Craftbar tables were empty. The bar was full, though, presumably of people waiting for their upstairs reservations. Casey was the main bartender who was taking care of us, but his partner in crime (whose name I cannot recall, sadly) was also available to help us out. They were both amazing - incredibly knowledgable and passionate about the food and drink offerings, honest about what they loved and what they didn't, and friendly without being phony or overbearing. Really, they were a great team.

There was a lot to choose from on the starters menu, so we chose one ourselves (lamb sausages with saffron pickled cauliflower and a yogurt sauce) and went with one of Casey's recommendations (grilled quail with turnips, apples, and smoked bacon). The former was very tasty, with a great salty kick and a nice cool finish thanks to the yogurt. I believe my fiance actually said, "I would have this sausage's baby." The saffron pickled cauliflower made me so very happy - I think I'm going to have to experiment in the kitchen to see if I can recreate that part of the dish. The quail was a little less punchy in terms of flavor (it had a sweeter tinge), but it was cooked absolutely perfectly and had a lot of meat for a little bitty birdie.

For entrees, I opted for the veal ricotta meatballs over papardelle and tomato sauce. The simple, rustic preparation was one of the best dishes I've eaten over the past six months. The pasta was flavorful and impeccably cooked, the sauce was tangy (and not over portioned), and the meatballs were substantial without being heavy. Bravo. Jason ordered the pulled pork, country ham, and swiss cheese panini (with house made mustard and pickles). It was quite tasty - stuffed with piggy goodness, it reminded us of a Cuban, especially since the bread was pressed nicely and had a great crunch.

We were almost too stuffed for dessert, but it was a highlight of our meal upstairs, so we wanted to try one more thing from the sweets menu. We decided to order the s'mores, but Casey saw Jason's disappointment at not being able to order the carrot cake (because I hate it) and decided to bring him a slice on the house (and in the interest of full disclosure, he had already bought him a round earlier in the evening). The s'mores were messy and yummy, just the way s'mores should be. My only complaint was that the marshmallows were a little heavy on the char, but that was a minor quibble. Jason loved the carrot cake, and I even tried it because it didn't have raisins in it (one of my main objections to the dessert). I still didn't like the flavor (too spicy for me), but the texture of the cake was lovely and the cream cheese icing was great. The toasted pecan ice cream that accomanied the dish was amazing - ice creams are definitely one of the strong suits of Craft's pastry chef.

While our Craftbar experience wasn't cheap, I walked out feeling like our money was well spent and that the experience, both food- and service-wise, had lived up to its pricetag. We may still be hesitant to return to Craft (unless someone else is paying), but Craftbar definitely made up for its sibling's missteps and created two loyal fans in the process.

When Jason and I visited Serpas on Saturday night (which had only been open for about two weeks at the time), I tried to think of our first meal as merely an introduction.

(For those of you not familiar with the Atlanta scene, Serpas is the name of the chef/owner, who has been a fixture in the local culinary community for quite some time. Most recently, he was the executive chef at TWO urban licks, a restaurant that we have enjoyed on numerous occasions. He also worked with Kevin Rathbun and some other notable names.)

We arrived early for our 8 PM reservation in order to grab a drink at the bar. I absolutely adore the bar space - there are plenty of stools, and it's set up on one side of the restaurant so the servers don't have to walk through a mosh pit of customers in order to deliver food and drinks. As a former waitress, I can definitely appreciate a flow of movement that allows guests and staff alike to have a more comfortable experience. The bartendress was very sweet, and she conversed with us as we drank our Abita Amber and Sweetwater 420 drafts (I was a little bummed that there were only four taps, and one of them was out). Then there was a mix-up with another party, so two free drinks appeared before us - I'm not sure what they call the concoction, but it consisted of sweet tea vodka (!!!), peach schnapps, and not a whole lot else. It was delicious, though you'd have to keep careful track of how many you were downing.

Once we got to our table, we decided to start with some appetizers. Crispy duck rolls with chili syrup and five spice were meaty and full of flavor, though they were also fairly greasy and had a bit too much of the sauce. Texas crab toast with chipotle aioli had great texture, but again the sauce was too much (and this time it was more obvious, as the sweet crabmeat just couldn't hold up). The presentation of both dishes was simple and elegant, though, and we agreed that the concepts and flavors were pretty solid.

We had a lot more appetizers that we wanted to try, so we decided to order two each instead of entrees. Jason opted for the chopped Caesar onion ring tower, which sounded a lot more intriguing than it was. This was my least favorite dish of the night, comprised of a stack of onion rings (which were actually pretty tasty on their own) with some chopped caesar salad in the middle. It was just really heavy, and I'm not the biggest Caesar salad fan to start with, so the components didn't come together well for me. He also ordered the eggplant hushpuppies with blue cheese. The hushpuppies themselves were absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked (I got a bite without any of the blue cheese, and it was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside), but again they were oversauced. The blue cheese was more of a dressing than merely crumbles, and Jason felt like it really overpowered the rest of the flavors.

I opted for the flash fried oysters with pickled chiles and mirliton, and the dish was very successful. The breading on the oysters was substantial but not heavy, and the end result wasn't greasy at all. The accompaniments brought out the briny flavor of the bivalves and really created an interesting, delicious dish. I also ordered the shrimp and crab chowder, and it was probably the best thing we ate all night. The texture was creamy but not oppressively so, and you could really taste each individual ingredient. There were large portions of crabmeat and shrimp (the latter of which were just slightly overcooked), and with a little bit of additional salt and/or spice, it would have been perfection in a bowl.

We were too full for dessert, but there were definitely items that intrigued me. Service was friendly and knowledgeable, and you can definitely have a nice night out for a reasonable sum (I think, including our drinks at the bar, we got out for about $100). I found the beer prices to be pretty steep, but except for their reserve list, all bottles of wine are $25 and all glasses are $6.50 - which I think is a great, affordable touch.

While Serpas didn't give me a flawless first impression, it's very early in its journey and I believe that it will continue to develop and improve. It pleased me enough that I want to return, probably in a few months, to see how the restaurant is growing and learning from its inaugural days. If what the bartendress said turns out to be true and they utilize the outdoor space in the warmer weather, I'm sure that Jason and the puppy and I will be frequent visitors.

Ever since Top Chef runner-up Richard Blais left Home earlier this year, Atlanta has been abuzz, wondering what his next culinary move would be. For now, at least, Chef Blais has landed as creative director of Flip, an "upscale burger boutique." Fiance and I visited on Friday night; the wait for a table at around 7 PM was only 15-20 minutes, but we snagged two seats at the bar almost immediately. Also almost immediately, we saw Chef Blais walking around and gladhandling. He needs a haircut.

This is way belated, but my friend and I went to FLIP back in early January. I agree that it is mostly worthy of the hype.

Burger itself is fine, certainly not any better than what you'd get at Ray's. And the portion sizes are definitely on the small size. Krispy Kreme shake was out of this world though. What also blew me away were the richness of the house-made condiments. They made the vodka-battered onion rings and fries taste even better.

We also had some top-notch fried chicken (loved the sweetness of the breading) and meatloaf at Greenwood's in Roswell. Plus a slice of chocolate cream pie that could've been straight out of Waitress. Very Colorado Kitchen-esque, and ginormous portions. Still need to try Watershed. I made the mistake of not making reservations in advance for fried chicken night and called them instead after landing. They were already booked.

I'm at a conference at the Marriott Marquis at Peachtree Center, and because of the timing of symposia, I'm somewhat trapped here. So far I've had Starbucks breakfasts, a food court lunch that I'm trying to forget, a dinner at Haveli Indian that was not good, and a quick dinner last night at a little pan-Asian place next door (forgot the name) that was pretty good, but nothing special. Saturday we have a group of about 25 going to Thai Chilli (sp??) - this venue was chosen by someone else. It's tough at a conference in a group - anyone know of anything close by that might be a better bet?

Thanks Bettyjoan - I'm back in DC. I spent yesterday with my family (I have lots of aunts and uncles in Atlanta), so the food was good.

It's really difficult in that section of downtown. I understand that it takes a while to revitalize areas, but I figured with all those conventions going on, there would have to be some good food we could walk to. I'll be better about researching next time.

It's funny that you say that good food should be available in a convention-heavy area. Honestly, I think Atlanta takes the opposite approach--more along the lines of, "Convention-goers just want touristy, generic, mediocre food." My fiance works around Peachtree Center, and I always get so sad when I go there--nothing but Hard Rock and Hooters, and NO real taste of what Atlanta truly has to offer. Bummer.

Let me know next time you're in town--there are some nearby areas (maybe not walking distance, but definitely cab-able) that have some really great options.

Thought I'd chime in and update folks on the Atlanta food scene, as many people often visit for conventions and such.

Pizza wars are in full effect here, with most of the competition centering around Varasano's and Fritti. The only appetizers available at Varasano's (in Buckhead) were three different kinds of salads and a cured meat platter. None of those really spoke to me, so we passed on the first course altogether. In terms of drinks, there was a small selection of wine and a fairly decent bottled beer roster, but other than a glass of prosecco, I really didn't get excited about anything on the list. The options for pizzas were somewhat limited as well, so I ordered the margherita pizza (with an upgrade to buffalo mozzarella). My fiance went for the salumi (cured meat, mozzarella, and spiced olives). The toppings were delicious, and the crust actually stayed crispy throughout the pie. BUT, unfortunately, the char that accompanied that crisp crust was a very overpowering flavor. I actually lost a lot of the taste of the mozzarella due to the bitter bite of the char. Even though the flavors of Jason's cured meats were more robust and could stand up to the char, he agreed that it was a little too much for his liking as well. Service was very good-the restaurant almost seemed overstaffed, as many different people came to check in on us at various times throughout our brief meal (which is better than the alternative, don't get me wrong). I really wanted to try the Italian doughnuts, but I was too full to justify them.

At Fritti, there were plenty of beers and wines to choose from, which always makes me happy. We were seated outside, which allowed us to enjoy the beautiful evening and the sights and sounds of Highland Avenue. The menu is quite extensive, so after some debate, we ordered the arancini (risotto croquettes, these with sausage) and the bresaola (thin-sliced beef with arugula and parm) as appetizers. The arancini were perfectly fried and pratically grease-less, but they were a bit bland overall. Perhaps some more salt or some kickier fillings would be good. The bresaola was nice and balanced, and a very light and tasty start to the meal. I ordered the calamari fritti pizza, which contained fried calamari, fresh tomatoes, and mozzarella. My friend had a pizza with lamb, mint, red onion, and mozzarella, and fiance ordered the salame piccante (with spicy salami and black olives). I really loved my pie-the toppings were flavorful and high-quality, the sauce had a nice sweetness, and the crust had the right amount of chewiness and crunch. There was some char present, but it didn't overpower all of the other flavors. The pizza did get a bit soggy towards the middle, but that upset my dining companions far more than it did me (after all, I was born in NY, so properly folding a slice is in my DNA). Service was prompt and very friendly, and I definitely liked the scene.

My fiance recently took me to a lovely dinner at 4th & Swift in the Old Fourth Ward. The space is very similar to others in the area-in other words, it is a lofty/industrial look with lots of exposed brick and piping and high ceilings. The signature cocktails are really interesting. While we sipped, we muched on fried pickles with red chile mayo. The pickles were piping hot and nicely fried, and the sauce provided a good kick. We were also presented with a bread basket, which contained delicious cheddar biscuits and a house-made lavash. They would have kept the bread coming all night long, but we finally had to ask them to stop. There were two soups available, so rather than choose between them, we decided to try both. One was a Vidalia onion soup with pancetta and watercress oil. The other was a roasted garlic and cauliflower soup, with crawfish and braised celery. The former had a great texture, but unless you got a big chunk of the pancetta, the overall flavor was way too sweet. The cauliflower soup was absolutely fantastic, and held up surprisingly well to the strong flavor of the celery (which still added a nice crunch, even though it was braised and mellowed). Next, Jason opted for the chicken livers, and I ordered "The Schnitzel" from the bar menu. Jason liked the flavor of the livers but he wished they would have turned out crispier (though they were served with little toasts, so there was an element of crunch to the dish). The schnitzel was nice and thin, and the breading was tasty, but I did feel like that part of the dish needed more salt. The over-easy egg on top of the meat did add a bit of a saline punch, so when the bites overlapped, things tasted more balanced. The herb spaetzle was tender and well-seasoned, and the two different kinds of apples added some really interesting layers of flavor. "Doughnut holes" on the dessert menu were three light, fluffy, steaming hot puffs, each sitting atop a different sauce. The Boston Cream was my definite favorite, causing me to abandon all class and use my finger to sop up what the pastry missed. The chocolate and raspberry sauces were also very good. I told the bartender that if they were open for breakfast, I'd eat a dozen of those doughnuts every morning and not think twice about it.

Heading to Atlanta and need some help picking restaurants. We'll be there for three nights, there are six in our group, and I have been tasked ith trying to sort through various recommendations.

Here are the options that have been suggested by some in our group.

Choose one: Rathbun's Steak, Bone's, or Chops Lobster Bar.

Choose two: Buckhead Diner, Restaurant Eugene, JCT Kitchen, Floataway Cafe, Abattoir, La Grotta, or Hal's.

Other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Heading to Atlanta and need some help picking restaurants. We'll be there for three nights, there are six in our group, and I have been tasked ith trying to sort through various recommendations.

Here are the options that have been suggested by some in our group.

Choose one: Rathbun's Steak, Bone's, or Chops Lobster Bar.

Choose two: Buckhead Diner, Restaurant Eugene, JCT Kitchen, Floataway Cafe, Abattoir, La Grotta, or Hal's.

Other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks in advance for any advice.

In the first category, I would choose Rathbun's Steak, no question. In the second category, it seems like you are trying to stay in the Buckhead area, which is somewhat limiting (despite the large number of options presented). Are you open to other geographies? What's the price range? Is there a genre you're particularly interested in? I hope I haven't missed your trip--I was out of town and just saw this post. Feel free to PM or email me if you like.

I'm heading to Atlanta for 4 days in the middle of November and staying at the Hyatt Regency (265 Peachtree Street NE). Based on what I've read in this thread, there isn't much hope for good eats in this area, but I thought I would at least give it a try. I'll be eating breakfast, lunch and dinner around here, generally with limited options for getting away (and the fed doesn't generally like to pay for expensive taxi rides for yummy dinners, damn that M&IE per diem).

The one night when I have some leeway is Friday night. I'm going to be going out with a group of roughly 20-30 and am looking for a restaurant where entrees are <$13 (IIRC) and is no greater than a $5 taxi ride from the hotel. All cuisines welcome (more or less--needs to be able to accommodate the usual round of vegetarians, allergies, whathaveyou). In an ideal world, this place would have some kind of either private room or area to put us (you know, so we don't have to mix with the hoi polloi). Most of these restrictions, if not all, have nothing to do with me and I have limited to no ability to alter them. I realize this list of restrictions may be impossible to accommodate, but if I have any ability to keep us out of a TGIFridays, I'll take it.

I had hoped to skip part of the conference and go to Bacchanalia for lunch on Saturday (a favorite treat from when my parents lived near Atlanta and a place with some fond memories for me). However, I just went to their website and it appears they no longer serve lunch. [insert sad sigh here] Any recs for somebody who's last meal there was a lunch 6 years ago and really liked it, is looking for a similar quality/price lunch spot, doesn't eat pig/chicken/cow (and is willing to taxi around a bit to get to said restaurant)?

Thanks!

I'm heading to Atlanta for 4 days in the middle of November and staying at the Hyatt Regency (265 Peachtree Street NE). Based on what I've read in this thread, there isn't much hope for good eats in this area, but I thought I would at least give it a try. I'll be eating breakfast, lunch and dinner around here, generally with limited options for getting away (and the fed doesn't generally like to pay for expensive taxi rides for yummy dinners, damn that M&IE per diem).

The one night when I have some leeway is Friday night. I'm going to be going out with a group of roughly 20-30 and am looking for a restaurant where entrees are <$13 (IIRC) and is no greater than a $5 taxi ride from the hotel. All cuisines welcome (more or less--needs to be able to accommodate the usual round of vegetarians, allergies, whathaveyou). In an ideal world, this place would have some kind of either private room or area to put us (you know, so we don't have to mix with the hoi polloi). Most of these restrictions, if not all, have nothing to do with me and I have limited to no ability to alter them. I realize this list of restrictions may be impossible to accommodate, but if I have any ability to keep us out of a TGIFridays, I'll take it.

I had hoped to skip part of the conference and go to Bacchanalia for lunch on Saturday (a favorite treat from when my parents lived near Atlanta and a place with some fond memories for me). However, I just went to their website and it appears they no longer serve lunch. [insert sad sigh here] Any recs for somebody who's last meal there was a lunch 6 years ago and really liked it, is looking for a similar quality/price lunch spot, doesn't eat pig/chicken/cow (and is willing to taxi around a bit to get to said restaurant)?

Thanks!

Wow, holy restrictions, Batman.

As far as your first request, it's the less-than-$13 entree that really kills you. Where does that limitation come from, if you don't mind my asking? It seems a random and unreasonable number for Friday night dinner in a big city. The only thing that is jumping to mind is Ted's Montana Grill (interesting trivia: the Ted himself lives in a condo on one of the upper floors of the downtown location, when he's not in Montana, that is). Yes, it's a chain, but it's a way better chain than any of the others in that area (Hooters, Hard Rock, etc.). It's maybe 5-6 blocks from the hotel, so you could definitely walk and skip the cab altogether. In terms of breakfasts and lunches, there's a Corner Bakery nearby, and the Peachtree Center area has a Chick-fil-a and a couple of other fast food type options. Unfortunately, despite convention traffic, a lot of downtown Atlanta shuts down on the weekend. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

In terms of your Saturday lunch, there IS nothing comparable to Bacchanalia. Period. There are some GREAT places in Atlanta that come really close, but they ain't downtown. If you give me some idea of how far/long you're willing to taxi, I can narrow down some better suggestions for you. Feel free to PM or email if you like.

Bettyjoan,

Just wanted to let you know that the Friday night, low cost, affair has been settled. We're going to the Cottage Ethiopian Restaurant at 1841 Piedmont Ave (intersection of Piedmont and Rock Springs Rd.). Although it's certainly too late to change the plans, I'm curious, do you have any thoughts on this place?

On a different topic, I'm still debating Watershed. Their fish/veggie options looked a bit slim and I'm thinking that the nostalgia I feel for Bacchanalia might not carry over to a restaurant other than Bacchanalia. But, that's a totally different issue and I'm grateful for your thoughts on a substitute.

Bettyjoan,

Just wanted to let you know that the Friday night, low cost, affair has been settled. We're going to the Cottage Ethiopian Restaurant at 1841 Piedmont Ave (intersection of Piedmont and Rock Springs Rd.). Although it's certainly too late to change the plans, I'm curious, do you have any thoughts on this place?

On a different topic, I'm still debating Watershed. Their fish/veggie options looked a bit slim and I'm thinking that the nostalgia I feel for Bacchanalia might not carry over to a restaurant other than Bacchanalia. But, that's a totally different issue and I'm grateful for your thoughts on a substitute.

I have never been to Cottage (I'm not a fan of Ethiopian food), but the buzz seems to be generally good. I will be really curious to hear what the cab fare ends up being, though, as that seems farther out to me than what your restrictions would allow for. Then again, because I live here, I don't take cabs often, so I have very little frame of reference for how much they charge.

For your lunch, if you are looking at everything through that Bacchanalia lens, you are bound to be disappointed (as you alluded to). You are correct that the menu at Watershed is a bit smaller, so maybe that wasn't the best suggestion. Again, high-end lunch is a tall order, as most of the premiere restaurants in Atlanta are closed. My husband and I did go to Rosebud last night and were darn happy with the meal (they have a Monday night brunch that is pretty decadent), so maybe that's a lunch option? If there is ANY chance you could have dinner instead, the options would open up SIGNIFICANTLY.

When is this all happening again? Feel free to PM again if you like.

Cabs are not inexpensive in Atlanta. I assume you mean $5 per person, not entire trip, Smokey. If you have a big group you might want to prearrange transportation.

As to places to eat, there are some really good places closer to downtown that you might consider.

My favorite restaurant in Atlanta these days is Dynamic Dish. Its veggie heaven and can't be beat. Saturday night is pizza night.

As for an option like Bacchanalia I can offer you a couple of restaurants:

1) Star Provisions is Bacchanalia's general store and casual dining option for lunch. I heart it.

2) JCT Kitchen is not like Bacchanalia at all but is fabulous in its own right and in the same 'hood as Bacchanalia.

Your price restrictions are a little unrealistic for anything that is not a chain however here are some casual options you might consider:

Everybody I know in Atlanta loves Taqueria Del Sol. You might also try Manuel's Tavern which is the Atlanta political hangout, has lots of space and is reasonably priced for really good food.

OK, another downtown customer here staying at the Marriott Marquis. It seems options are limited. Rather than asking where I should go, maybe I should say what are the best places to go that are easy to get to from there? (Cab not an issue, as long as it would be easy to get a cab back.) Upscale and downscale options appreciated.

If you're amenable to taking a cab, that's great--most of the worthwhile Atlanta restaurants are slightly outside of the official downtown area. Though, if you're in the mood for a steak, there are some upscale options in your area (Morton's, BLT Steak, and I believe Ruth's Chris as well). There's also an Il Mulino right there at Peachtree Center, near the Ritz Carlton.

On to the better stuff...a fairly short cab ride would take you to Grindhouse Killer Burgers, which is at 209 Edgewood Avenue in the Sweet Auburn Curb Market (an Atlanta landmark in and of itself). Good burgers, though you'd have to go for lunch as they are only open M-Sat 11-4. Another great burger joint (my favorite, in fact) is the Vortex, which has locations in both Midtown and Little Five Points. Unique atmosphere and extensive menu, both in the food and beer departments. Dynamic Dish, while I haven't yet been there myself, gets rave reviews for its yummy veggie fare.

In the more upscale category, 4th and Swift is one of my favorites--it's in the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood. Abattoir is newish, from the same chefs who are responsible for Atlanta's famous Bacchanalia restaurant. If you want to get your Top Chef fix, you can try to get into Woodfire Grill (Chef Kevin Gillespie's restaurant), or you can head over to Pura Vida (Chef Hector Santiago's restaurant, which I really enjoy).

Let me know if you need further info, or if you would like other suggestions. You can PM me or email me if you like. Enjoy your stay!

4th & Swift is good, have been a few times BUT I would opt for Woodfire Grill, JCT or Abattoir. Each is unique compared to what we have in DC. I love, love Dynamic Dish and wish there was something similar here (totally not the same as Vegetate).

I love the Vortex. Wonder how they stack up to the DC options.

If you're amenable to taking a cab, that's great--most of the worthwhile Atlanta restaurants are slightly outside of the official downtown area. Though, if you're in the mood for a steak, there are some upscale options in your area (Morton's, BLT Steak, and I believe Ruth's Chris as well). There's also an Il Mulino right there at Peachtree Center, near the Ritz Carlton.

On to the better stuff...a fairly short cab ride would take you to Grindhouse Killer Burgers, which is at 209 Edgewood Avenue in the Sweet Auburn Curb Market (an Atlanta landmark in and of itself). Good burgers, though you'd have to go for lunch as they are only open M-Sat 11-4. Another great burger joint (my favorite, in fact) is the Vortex, which has locations in both Midtown and Little Five Points. Unique atmosphere and extensive menu, both in the food and beer departments. Dynamic Dish, while I haven't yet been there myself, gets rave reviews for its yummy veggie fare.

In the more upscale category, 4th and Swift is one of my favorites--it's in the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood. Abattoir is newish, from the same chefs who are responsible for Atlanta's famous Bacchanalia restaurant. If you want to get your Top Chef fix, you can try to get into Woodfire Grill (Chef Kevin Gillespie's restaurant), or you can head over to Pura Vida (Chef Hector Santiago's restaurant, which I really enjoy).

Let me know if you need further info, or if you would like other suggestions. You can PM me or email me if you like. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the reply, I will look into these options. I noticed a mention of South City Kitchen upthread, so I spotted that on a map. How far of a cab ride would that be from the Marriott Marquis? And how does that compare to some of the options you mentioned above? I'm just trying to determine my reasonable cab ride radius and what would fall within it. I'm thinking like 10 minute ride max?

Thanks for providing input. I'll try to pay it forward somehow.

I just got back from Atlanta. I made repeat visits to South City Kitchen and Spice Market. Neither one really lived up to my memories from January. Spice Market was still good but not mind blowing--had the samosa and then the strip steak. SKC was no where near as good as I remembered. The fried chicken was just okay. I will give the pecan pie a huge thumbs up though!

Also tried Vortex. The tater tots are quite lovely but the burger was just average.

The Doctor: In terms of upscale dining, SCK does not compare with any of the places I suggested. SCK is reliable, but the other places are standouts. As for how far/long the cab ride would be, it all depends on time of day and traffic. Atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the country, and each day is an oh-so-happy surprise in terms of commute times. ;-) From downtown, Abattoir and 4th and Swift are your closest options (of the ones I mentioned).

booklovingbabe: Sorry your Vortex burger was just average! We've had a couple of off days there (mostly in terms of burger doneness), but by and large they're kick-ass. I always go for the buffalo patty, cooked medium rare, and it has rarely let me down. Glad you liked the tots--they are always good and crunchy!

The Doctor: In terms of upscale dining, SCK does not compare with any of the places I suggested. SCK is reliable, but the other places are standouts. As for how far/long the cab ride would be, it all depends on time of day and traffic. Atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the country, and each day is an oh-so-happy surprise in terms of commute times. ;-) From downtown, Abattoir and 4th and Swift are your closest options (of the ones I mentioned).

booklovingbabe: Sorry your Vortex burger was just average! We've had a couple of off days there (mostly in terms of burger doneness), but by and large they're kick-ass. I always go for the buffalo patty, cooked medium rare, and it has rarely let me down. Glad you liked the tots--they are always good and crunchy!

BettyJoan have you tried JCT Kitchen yet? It's received better reviews than Abbatoir and is fabulous. It's in the same complex as Bacchanalia.

I'm not surprised the Vortex is engh. They opted to be treated as a bar to allow smoking. The choice speaks volumes about where they make their money.

I haven't been a fan of SCK since, well, Watershed opened.

BettyJoan have you tried JCT Kitchen yet? It's received better reviews than Abbatoir and is fabulous. It's in the same complex as Bacchanalia.

I'm not surprised the Vortex is engh. They opted to be treated as a bar to allow smoking. The choice speaks volumes about where they make their money.

I haven't been a fan of SCK since, well, Watershed opened.

No, I have not been to JCT. To be honest, yours is the most enthusiastic recommendation I've heard, particularly in recent months. Many of my trusted ATL sources indicated to me that JCT was good in the beginning, but that it lost some of its edge as it aged and expanded. Therefore, it never jumped to the top of my "must try" list (which is harder and harder to get to, due to budgetary constraints). You're intriguing me, though, so I may have to check it out and weigh in personally. :-)

The Vortex is very polarizing, to be sure. I've been going there since I was a teenager, so I may be somewhat biased. However, I feel like their choice to go 18+ in order to allow smoking doesn't necessarily mean that they don't care about their food quality. Their clientele has always consisted of a high percentage of smokers, and they definitely have a vibe that they try to maintain (and it's not necessarily a kid-friendly one). I can understand them choosing to stay true to the customers who made them successful. All I know is that I bring out-of-towners to the L5P Vortex pretty darn frequently, and we always have a great meal and a great time.

OK, it looks like 4th and Swift and Abattoir are my best bets for something interesting based on their distance, and I've spotted both of them on the map. How much further away would JCT be? (And for that matter, how expensive of a cab ride would it be to either of the first two places?)

And, what's the reservation situation like? Any chance of getting in same day? I sadly won't be able to get to Grindhouse, close as it is, because I'll really be a prisoner in the hotel until about 5 or 6 each day.

Cheers.

OK, it looks like 4th and Swift and Abattoir are my best bets for something interesting based on their distance, and I've spotted both of them on the map. How much further away would JCT be? (And for that matter, how expensive of a cab ride would it be to either of the first two places?)

And, what's the reservation situation like? Any chance of getting in same day? I sadly won't be able to get to Grindhouse, close as it is, because I'll really be a prisoner in the hotel until about 5 or 6 each day.

Cheers.

Since I live here and don't take cabs very much, here's a fare calculator for your convenience: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Atlanta. I just have no frame of reference, so I won't attempt to make something up.

As for reservations, the same-day situation all depends on what day it is! Weekends have been pretty busy at Abattoir, since it is still fairly new and hot. 4th and Swift shouldn't be a problem--and even if it was, all of my meals there so far have been at the bar and have been lovely.

OK, it looks like 4th and Swift and Abattoir are my best bets for something interesting based on their distance,

And, what's the reservation situation like? Any chance of getting in same day?

Cheers.

I tried to get a res at Abbatoir and wasn't able to come up with anything for lunch in the coming month at opentable. I think their dinner reservations were actually more open, provided you were flexible about time.

My favorite restaurant in Atlanta these days is Dynamic Dish. Its veggie heaven and can't be beat. Saturday night is pizza night.

As for an option like Bacchanalia I can offer you a couple of restaurants:

1) Star Provisions is Bacchanalia's general store and casual dining option for lunch. I heart it.

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for the dynamic dish rec. I just came back from a yummy meal there. It was the very antithesis of the conference I'm at, which is what I needed (I've been here about 12 hours and am ready to pull my hair out). It was a mellow place to be alone as a woman, which was part of what I wanted.

I had initially turned up my nose at the Star Provisions rec because when I was last at Bacchanalia I thought Star Provisions was perfectly nice, but this trip I didn't want to go there all for a croissant (no matter how perfectly executed), some cheese that I have no place to store and some beautiful but pricey tableware. I went back to their website though and realized that they have a little place to sit, and now serve sandwiches and such, and I'm thinking it's my lunch plan for tomorrow. Thanks for pointing me back towards it.

The folks at Dynamic Diner recommended Miller Union. Sadly, it's only open for dinner and this was my only available night for dinner out. Ah, well.

More feedback to come as appropriate.

Cheers.

Go to JCT. It's in the same complex as Abbatoir. It's better, far better, than SCK and contrary to what BettyJoan's friends have told her it still gets good reviews and the last meal I had there in July blew my expectations. I liked it much more than the 2 meals I had at 4th & Swift. The food was comparable but the atmosphere at JCT was much better... lighter literally and figuratively.

Most people I know who have eaten at Abbatoir haven't liked it enough to go back or at all. I have chosen not to go based on their reviews.

Cabs in Atlanta are expensive because its a sellers market.

Took my parents to dinner at 4th and Swift last night. Was a little worried, as it was practically empty when we arrived shortly before 7, but by 8:30 it was packed. Cocktails were inventive and well-made, and the bread basket contained warm cheddar biscuits and sesame rolls. Nom. Parsnip soup was perfectly creamy and balanced, shrimp and grits was soul-satisfying (and the grits were cooked impeccably), and champagne and oyster mushroom risotto was delicate and lovely. The only starter that was just "meh" were the veal and ricotta meatballs--despite the presence of capers in the accompanying sauce, I found the dish to be somewhat bland. For entress, mom had a mushroom-crusted halibut special that was bursting with flavor. Dad had cod with cannellini beans, chorizo, and escarole, and it was quite good. Both fish were cooked absolutely perfectly--someone in the kitchen has quite the hand with seafood. My scallops with butter-poached parsnips and greens were rich and tasty, and husband's "three little pigs" (sausage, belly, and loin) was as meaty and rib-sticking as you would imagine (my only complaint: too much smoke flavor in the accompanying mac and cheese). The house-made chocolate donuts were good, but the dessert star was the apple tarte tatin with sage ice cream. FABULOUS. Service was good, if a little bit quiet and reserved. Dinner for four with a couple of rounds, after tip, wound up right around $340. I continue to recommend 4th and Swift as a neighborhood gem.

Newest breakfast obsessions in Atlanta:

1) Rosemary olive oil bagel from Belly General Store. Slightly crisp on the outside, and warm and soft on the inside.

2) Buttermilk pancakes from Ria's Bluebird (directly across from Oakland Cemetery, where Bobby Jones and Margaret Mitchell are buried). Fluffy, warm, decadent, and frickin' INSANELY good with caramelized bananas on top.

Good thing we just moved out of city center, or my waistline would surely suffer...

Just reporting in from the conference. Went to Abattoir on Tuesday (I wanted to hit 4th and Swift, but my companion already had plans to go there tomorrow with a local friend, hence validating the recommendation.) I was completely satisfied. I took some pictures and can hopefully post them here upon my return. While I won't say I'll remember the meal for years to come, everything was of high quality. The service was great and the meat was delicious. (I destroyed the pork chop.)

For future readers, I spent $15 each way on a cab for two from the Marriott Marquis to Abattoir. It took maybe ten minutes. This was at 7 p.m. on a Tuesday.

I'm not sure if I'll get anywhere else before leaving on Sunday, but I'll report back if I do.

Thanks again for the recs!

Newest breakfast obsessions in Atlanta:

1) Rosemary olive oil bagel from Belly General Store. Slightly crisp on the outside, and warm and soft on the inside.

2) Buttermilk pancakes from Ria's Bluebird (directly across from Oakland Cemetery, where Bobby Jones and Margaret Mitchell are buried). Fluffy, warm, decadent, and frickin' INSANELY good with caramelized bananas on top.

Good thing we just moved out of city center, or my waistline would surely suffer...

Glad you like the bagels at Belly! I'll have to try Ria's next time I'm in Atlanta... those pancakes sound amazing.

If you're visting Atlanta and have 1) time, and 2) a car, there are some notable noshes outside the city limits.

For sushi, my favorite place is Tomo (address is technically in Atlanta, but it's right on the Cobb County line, up I-75). Tomo is somewhat unassuming, lodged in the middle of a Kroger shopping center, but the food is worth any trouble finding it. Live diver scallop sashimi, served in its own lovely shell and garnished with little dots of hot sauce and flecks of micro cilantro, is somehow light and rich at the same time, and absolute perfection in terms of presentation. Fantastic. Sashimi and rolls are all extremely fresh and well-presented. The rice is the perfect stickiness, and the ingredients are top-notch. Chef Naito (who has trained with some of the best Japanese chefs in the world) is incredibly creative, and even desserts are amazing. A little pricy, but a wonderful experience and definitely merits the cost and the drive.

I've only scratched the surface of dining in Gwinnett County (moved there around Thanksgiving - it's north of ATL on the I-85 side), but I have a few favorites at this point. Little Barn (in downtown Lawrenceville) has the best biscuits and gravy and country ham around (and it's really in a little barn). Kirin House is a hibachi restaurant that has a small but surprisingly good sushi bar. Taco Depot is a teeny tiny storefront in a teeny tiny strip mall, but it boasts the most delicious and AUTHENTIC tacos I've ever had - al pastor, barbacoa, tongue, tripe, all super fresh and served on homemade corn tortillas. We are consistently the only gringos in the place, though I'm not sure why - the owners are awesome, and the food is CHEAP.

I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, but if you're a beer lover, Taco Mac is the place to go (and they're all over Atlanta, as it is a local chain). They have the best variety, both on draught and in bottles, and their selection is constantly changing. Food is meh - I happen to enjoy their boneless wings and one of their chicken sandwiches, but there's nothing revelatory.

Speaking of dining outside of Atlanta proper, my husband and I had the good fortune of eating with the Four Coursemen last month. You can read about them here: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/supper-club-confidential, or on their website: http://www.thefourcoursemen.com/, but basically it's an underground supper club in Athens, Georgia (about an hour and a half northeast of the city, and home to my undergraduate alma mater, the University of Georgia).

I have a full post about it (with photos) here: http://troublewithtoast.wordpress.com/2010/02/19/the-four-coursemen/. It was an absolute blast! If you travel in/around Atlanta with any frequency, definitely get on their mailing list and they'll email you when reservations open up (they try to have dinners twice a month, but it just depends on what else they all have going on).

First course: "Oyster Po'Boy on a Half Shell" - served with a demi sec sparkling wine.
Second course: "Slow-cooked Salmon with Apple and Grana Padano Ravioli, Thyme, Saffron Beurre Blanc, Celery Leaves" - served with an Italian Sauvignon blanc.
Third course: "Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon Lardons, Vanilla Brown Butter, Brazil Nuts" - served with a California Pinot noir.
Fourth course: Roasted Tri-Tip Beef with Red Wine Poached Egg, Arugula" - served with a Ridge (California) Zinfandel.
Fifth course: "Orange and Lavender Steamed Pudding with Honey Creme Anglaise" - served with a French blanc de blanc.

The suggested minimum donation was $60, which I felt was more than fair. It was such a nifty experience, both food-wise and socially. I mean, the communal nature of dining sometimes gets lost in traditional restaurants, so for me, this was a welcome change of pace and a way to really share the joy of food and drink with other like minds. A very cool experience!

I wish I had more energy for doing a full write-up right now -- I'll get around to it -- but I just have to say that I had a phenomenal time, and an outrageously good meal, with bettyjoan and her husband the other night at Linton Hopkins' gastropub, Holeman & Finch. Perhaps my favorite memory of the evening would be the great discussion over the veal fries, which has to be shared:

Husband: "What are veal fries?"

Me: "Well, given that it's the only 'part' on the "parts" section of the menu that doesn't have an anatomical name, um ..."

(Betty and I lock eyes; I'm pretty sure we're thinking the same thing)

Betty: "I'm sure you can ask; the waitress will know."

(waitress appears)

Waitress: "Do you have any questions about the menu?"

Husband: "Yes; what are the veal fries?"

(very brief awkward pause)

Waitress: "They are ... testicles."

Me: "Yeah, it kind of had to be, right?"

Betty: "It's basically the only body part you wouldn't list verbatim on the menu."

Husband: " ... "

Waitress: "They're really good, in fact."

Me: "It's not that unusual; think Rocky Mountain Oysters."

Husband: " ... "

Betty: "Cojones, you know."

Me: "Ooh! Why can't they just put that on the menu? That would be great!"

(another brief awkward pause)

Husband: "I'm gonna try 'em."

Betty: " ... "

Me: " ... "

Waitress (cheerily): "All right then!"

(she leaves; Betty and I look at each other again)

Betty: "Well, that was unexpected.

Me: "I think I need more wine."

As I was perusing this thread, as I do from time to time, I realized that I never posted about my experience at Abattoir. Husband and I ate there sort of as a scouting mission, to figure out where we should take leleboo when she came to visit. Well, as you can see from her post above, we did NOT take her to Abattoir.

Abattoir was one of those weird experiences where there were some good things happening, but the end feeling just wasn't really warm and fuzzy. A large part of that was due to the service (or lack thereof) that we received - we sat at the bar, which usually results in superior service, but we were largely ignored by the TWO bartenders working. It was busy, but it wasn't THAT busy. Our glasses and plates sat empty for way too long in between rounds, and it took significant gesturing to get the bartenders to notice and attend to us in most cases. Grrrr.

As for the food, we ordered chicharrones (not my thing, but that's not Abattoir's fault), pickled shrimp from the "in a jar" section of the menu (delicious, but a small portion for $10), lamb liver fritters with tomato relish (the best dish of the night), chicken schnitzel (HUGE portion, and yummy), and duck meatballs (very comforting, almost in a soup-like broth). For dessert, we ordered maple bacon beignets, but they were SUPER doughy and heavy and not like beignets at all - more like doughnuts, but not particularly good ones.

Wines were reasonably prices, but beers seemed overpriced to me. And again, we just didn't leave feeling awesome about the place since we didn't feel like our presence was valued. I would go back for more food, since the price point is fairly accessible for a nice evening out, but it's hard to justify Abattoir when there are places like Holeman & Finch (more on that shortly...).

I can't believe they named a restaurant Abattoir.

There was a lot of grumbling about the name when it opened (which I don't really understand - I mean, there are WAY worse restaurant names out there), but I believe the building that houses the restaurant used to be, in fact, a slaughterhouse.

I have been daydreaming about Holeman & Finch for a while now (my last visit was in early June, and that's far too long of a gap for my liking), so I figured I'd post about why I love it so much, in case anyone is heading to Atlanta anytime soon (and if you are, let me know).

The atmosphere is very lively and social, which I love. As for the food, the plates are smaller so you can try a lot of things (and share!) without breaking the bank. On our first visit, we started with the bread and salted butter, the deviled eggs three ways, and the crisp B&B pickles. The bread "box" consisted of Parker House rolls, a slice of pumpernickel, a slice of crusty baguette-type bread, and a slice of rye. The rolls and the pumpernickel were definitely the standouts - and the butter would have been as well, had it not been inconsistently salted. I loved the deviled eggs, and though I'm not normally a huge fan of bread and butter pickles, these fried babies were absolutely delicious, especially when paired with the spicy mayo. We order them nearly every time we visit.

Also during our first visit, we decided to do a fish course, ordering the pan-seared black bass with braised Vidalia onions and the fish and chips. The former was somewhat underwhelming - the fish was cooked perfectly and the overall flavor was nice, but I suspect that there were leeks accompanying the dish rather than Vidalias, and they were quite stringy and tough. The latter, however, was frickin' fantastic. The fish was tender and flaky, and the batter was flavorful and just the right thickness. It was fried perfectly, with just the right amount of grease (come on, you gotta have SOME).

There's a whole part of the menu that is all about offal (labeled as "Parts"). Our server decided for us, and he brought us the peppercorn crusted veal hearts, served with a parsnip puree and a blood orange marmelade. I was quite hesitant at first, because as much as I love "parts," some organ meat has that very metallic taste, like sucking on a penny. Thankfully, the heart was rich and tender and not organy at all, kind of like eating a really high-quality steak. The star of the dish, though, was the parsnip puree - not only was it delicious, but it was the smoothest, lightest, most velvety puree I've ever encountered. The server also brought a gratin of marrow, and I'm not sure I have the words to describe it. It was so ridiculously decadent and over the top, and it was just as good on its own as it was spread on bread and topped with a parsley and onion salad.

On subsequent visits, we have enjoyed such dishes as the previously mentioned veal "fries," pig ears and tails, fried oysters, steak tartare, creamed lady peas, beautiful pan-seared fishies (snapper, most notably), charcuterie, fried apple pie, and bacon-caramel popcorn. The burger is mythical and magical (so I will write about it separately), but half the time, we get so caught up in other menu items that we run out of room for it. Cocktails are genius, wine and beer are interesting and accessible, and service is impeccable, no matter how many folks they cram into the bar area. H&F embodies everything a restaurant should be, and gosh darnit, I need to get back there ASAP.

From the official Holeman & Finch website:

Around 9:30 each night at Holeman & Finch Public House, the energy shifts from the constant mirth that seems to shroud this establishment to a sort of jubilant tension. More folks start streaming into the place and by 9:50, it's full - teeming with those eager for the stroke of ten o'clock followed by the squawk of a portable bullhorn announcing, "it-s burger time!" Each night, 24 exquisite, double patty cheeseburgers are assembled on house-made buns and served alongside hand-cut fries and homemade ketchup, mustard and pickles - only 24. Some nights they sell out in under a minute. The thought behind the minimal number and the 10:00 serving is not a gimmick; it's just the opposite. A handcrafted burger takes a lot of time to prepare correctly. In order to pay the proper respect to this iconic American food, Linton Hopkins and company decided that only a handful would be made and served each night. This way, the burger is done right; and because generally, a burger on any menu tends to trump other items, it allows the rest of Holeman and Finch's menu to take its place with due respect.

Could a burger possibly live up to such fanfare? Such top-billing? Such cult-like following and devotion? We were gonna find out, gosh darnit. Originally, we reserved two burgers, but when we flagged our server down post-marrow to cut it down to one, he winked and said knowingly, "Yeah, I was waiting for that." We were such amateurs, but when that bullhorn sounded, we didn't care. The whole place started to smell like a diner, and I mean that in the best possible way - the meat, the fries, the buns, all of their aromas began wafting into my nose and making me drool (even though I was pretty darn full at that point). Finally, the beautiful creation was placed on our table, and all of the people who were too late to reserve burgers, or who didn-t know you HAD to reserve them, were staring at my meaty monstrosity with lustful envy. Yeah, I said it.

Was it worth the hype? Abso-frickin'-lutely. The meat, while cooked medium throughout, was tender and juicy and flavorful (I'm not sure what the mix is, but it's good stuff). The bun was fresh and light, but it still stood up to the burger and toppings. Speaking of toppings, the meaty, cheesy, melty goodness was perfectly salty, so the homemade bread and butter pickles were a welcome change from the usual dill. Of course, the mustard and ketchup were homemade, and of course, they were top-notch. The fries were really awesome - I just wish I had room to eat more of them.

H&F's burger gets some national blog love...

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/08/holeman-and-finch-burger-review-atlanta-ga.html

That is some serious food porn!

And just as a FYI, the Four Coursemen ("underground" supper club in Athens, mentioned above) is still a great time - we got reservations this past weekend (dinner sold out in 25 seconds, so we were pretty lucky) and really enjoyed the meal and the company. Highlights were a peach gazpacho with crispy serrano ham, deviled chicken hearts on buttered toast, and a lemon poppyseed shortbread cookie with blackberry jam. Wine pairings, as usual, were spot-on.

Atlanta has a main thoroughfare called Buford Highway which has served as an ethnic mainline for decades, and likely generations. It begins not far from Buckhead, or from 85, and travels out to the suburbs through a maze of restaurants and stores from Chicago Supermarket, a Mexican eatery and shop, to Tempo Doeloe, an Indonesian restaurant with a Java market attached.

Over the years I have ventured to Buford Highway many times. I had my first experience where a restaurant was downright rude and unhelpful to my group because none of us spoke Korean on the street. I celebrated my first Chinese New Year with a feast at a restaurant which is now a Mexican western wear shop. I've had some amazing meals at different places along the street but always on the recommendation of a critic or other resource (friend, blogger, what have you).

The other day I reached out to John T. Edge, the Southern food critic/historian/writer, to ask where he would recommend eating these days in Atlanta, and on Buford Highway. He sent me a link to this amazing resource from the Southern Foodways Alliance about a recent trip they sponsored to explore Buford Highway. I sent it to my friend and she chose Tempo Doeloe since she last had Indonesian food in Amsterdam. I had never had it and it was delicious.

We shared three dishes. The lamb kebabs were petite and smothered in a sauce that consisted of peanuts and something else. They were perfectly cooked, even as small as they were. They were served with the most interesting thing I have seen at a restaurant in a while... rice cubes. The rice cubes were perfect for sopping up the generous sauce portion. The Javan fried chicken was, um, interesting but still good. The fried chicken seemed to have been smoked and then fried sans coating. It was well flavored and (basically) tender. The interesting element was that it was served with different types of beef and possibly chicken gizzards which had been smoked. One presentation of beef was similar to a brisket, another (which I didn't try) reminded me of a piece of leather. That dish was served with delicious coconut rice. Finally we shared something akin to a salad.

It was an adventure I would happily revisit. First, however, I'll have to mark the other restaurants off the Southern Foodways list.

ETA: It occurs to me that many people may be unfamiliar with the Southern Foodways Alliance. It is a non-profit affiliated with Ole Miss that has a mission to preserve the food cultures of the American South.