Atlanta, GA

mame11

I think "poor man's Biltmore" is a perfect descriptor of Chateau Elan.  I have never been to either, but reports from trusted friends confirm that your experience is more of the rule than the exception.  Too bad.

Yay that you still love H&F - I miss it a lot.  I don't know what is on their menu now, but they do tend to be pork-heavy.  However, I have had many vegetable preparations there that were truly remarkable.

They did still have at least 3 or 4 vegetable dishes. We ordered something not on the now-outdated menu they have online which I think were called pole beans with some kind of...can't remember...spicy red sauce or seasoning.  Pretty good though I'd probably go in a different vegetable direction were I there again next week.

Also, had a drink with a client at an upscale restaurant called Bistro Nico. Huge bar area some interesting drinks and beers. Can't speak to the food but my client (whose food compass I don't know well) likes the place.

We had a wonderful meal at Abattoir.  This is a fairly new restaurant from the same folks behind Bacchanlia.  We went there because the menu looked quite exciting and on Joe's high praise for its sister restaurant.  It certainly delivered on its promise. It's currently in the running for top-10 meal of the year and 2013 was a tremendous food year for us that included Rose's Luxury, 2 trips to Roberto's 4, Sushi Taro's Omakase, and an awesome trip to Montreal.

The restaurant itself is a beautiful spare space with lots of room between tables, so the room never got loud even as the tables filled up.  The service was quite good and attentive, though they seem to have minor kinks to still work out amongst their front house staff (very minor things that did not affect our enjoyment at all).

The bread service here is quite good and the desserts are quite delicious.  The highlights were the crab fritter, the 3 items ordered off of their butcher's menu (lamb heart, oxheart empanadas, and a divine lamb sweetbread dish), and fried to order chicharrones that came out crackling and light as air.

We had a wonderful meal at Abattoir.  This is a fairly new restaurant from the same folks behind Bacchanlia.  We went there because the menu looked quite exciting and on Joe's high praise for its sister restaurant.  It certainly delivered on its promise. It's currently in the running for top-10 meal of the year and 2013 was a tremendous food year for us that included Rose's Luxury, 2 trips to Roberto's 4, Sushi Taro's Omakase, and an awesome trip to Montreal.

The restaurant itself is a beautiful spare space with lots of room between tables, so the room never got loud even as the tables filled up.  The service was quite good and attentive, though they seem to have minor kinks to still work out amongst their front house staff (very minor things that did not affect our enjoyment at all).

The bread service here is quite good and the desserts are quite delicious.  The highlights were the crab fritter, the 3 items ordered off of their butcher's menu (lamb heart, oxheart empanadas, and a divine lamb sweetbread dish), and fried to order chicharrones that came out crackling and light as air.

Abbatoir has actually been around since 2009, but it has changed chefs multiple times - the current Executive Chef is Hector Santiago, who some may remember from Top Chef Las Vegas.  Chef Santiago previously owned and operated Pura Vida, a wonderful little Latin American spot, and the site of my engagement to my husband.  :D

I love Chef Santiago's food, so I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience at Abbatoir - when we went years ago, it was only so-so.

• Like 1

With a few hours to kill on a Monday morning, and no place better than Ruby Tuesday's or the hotel restaurant for breakfast anywhere nearby, I was able to get a cab to Thumbs Up Diner in East Point.  Nifty place: nice diner vibe without trying too hard, old-school funk on the sound system, what appeared to be largely working-class clientele chatting with the staff as if they were all old friends.  And the food hit the spot, too.  Lots of choices on the menu.  I told the waitress I was just passing through and not likely to be back in the area ever, and asked what I should get.  "The fried catfish - definitely our most popular item".  So that's what I got.  A nice big perfectly fried fillet, served with a generous bowl of grits, two eggs, and biscuit or toast.  Get the biscuit, it's whole wheat but surprisingly light.   And the coffee was surprisingly good.

This is exactly the kind of honest food, no-pretenses place I love to find.

We didn't do a ton of unique or interesting eating while in Atlanta this past weekend (we were there to see friends, so we let them lead the way), but we did try Argosy in East Atlanta Village.  Pretty good eats (mostly small plates and sandwiches and such - the duck egg rolls and oxtail arancini were both tasty), and a really great draft beer list.  We specifically went there with our friends who have a 3-month-old, since they said it was loud and he had accompanied them unnoticed before.  It WAS loud, but I got a distinct anti-baby feel from the staff and other patrons.  For the record, the little guy slept through almost our whole outing.  :D

I just enjoyed a beefy dinner at McKendricks (http://www.mckendricks.com) in Atlanta. This is the quintessential American steak house, with delciious slabs of mouth-watering beef, generous and caloric sides, and quite an extensive wine list.

We began with an assortment of seafood appetizers, where the rare-seared tuna, the large shrimp and the "fried lobster tail" stood out. The latter was interesting, but only about as large as the shrimp.

My steak was perfectly executed -- I had the bone-in chef's cut ribeye. Others at my table had the similarly decadent bone-in filet. McKendrick's specializes in a high-heat, thick char with a red center, and the resultant steak is melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

THe sides are nothing special. The waiter told us "We're in the south, so I have to recommend the okra!" It was only OK, and a bit dry. The sauteed mushrooms were somewhat large and whole mushrooms, browned in what tasted like balsamic vinegar, giving them a sweet flavor that I didn't particularly like.

I didn't pay the bill, but this place is easily a $200 cover, and it was packed on a Monday night. This is red meat and brown wood establishment, probably best suited for a manly business meal.

I was in Atlanta last week for work, and I met up with my mom at The General Muir, a delicatessen/restaurant in the Emory University area.  It's like Atlanta's version of DGS.  The matzoh ball soup edged out DGS's version (the broth was much better seasoned, though DGS's actual matzoh ball was slightly more fluffy), but my mom says that the chopped liver at DGS is still the best she's ever had, anywhere, since her bubbie passed away.

She ordered the Hot Brown, but she said the pastrami overpowered the turkey and gravy - perhaps she could order the dish without the pastrami for better results.  I got the burger, which was tasty (with pastrami, Russian dressing, cheese, and homemade pickles, which were all good), but it was pretty greasy.  The fries were excellent.

We got the cookie plate for dessert, and it was yummy - it contained the freshest, yummiest black & white cookie I've had in a long time (mom didn't like it because it had a slight lemony taste), in addition to some rugelach and a few other things.

I prefer DGS overall, but if you're in Atlanta, this would be a great place for lunch or dinner (and they also do take-out from their deli counter).

Headed to the ATL on Monday for a weeklong conference where breakfast and lunch are taken care of, but I have a 75$ per diem every night for dinner.

We are downtown at the Omni, is that area still chain heaven? or have there been any improvements.

Places I've already eaten:

Watershed

The Optimist

Holeman & Finch

Empire State South

No car, so where should I be going that's accessible via public transport and cabs/uber?

Thanks in advance.

Headed to the ATL on Monday for a weeklong conference where breakfast and lunch are taken care of, but I have a 75$ per diem every night for dinner.

We are downtown at the Omni, is that area still chain heaven? or have there been any improvements.

Places I've already eaten:

Watershed

The Optimist

Holeman & Finch

Empire State South

No car, so where should I be going that's accessible via public transport and cabs/uber?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, that area is still crapola for food.  Amazing to me, given how many travelers come through there.

There are a couple of really good spots in Decatur that you haven't visited - you will be able to cab/Uber, but the fare will be more significant.  If you're interested, they are Cakes & Ale (really good and seasonal/farm to table - not far from where Watershed used to be) and The General Muir (Atlanta's version of DGS Deli - closer to Emory).

If you'd rather stay closer to your hotel, head back to the viscinity of The Optimist and snag a seat at Miller Union.  Also really good farm to table food, with a decidedly Southern tilt.

I came home from ATL last night, and got to visit with some old friends while there. The first night I was there, one friend and I cruised around, I was too tired to really make an attempt at finding a gem, (but did see an Indian place that looked good, and others as well), and voiced a requirement for vegetables as part of any meal.

So we ended up at a default; Ted's Montana in Decatur. I had never been so I enjoyed the novelty, and we got to catch up with each other and closed the joint. I liked my bison meatloaf and chopped salad. My friend had a bison burger of some kind, which he enjoyed. The complimentary fresh pickles were addicting, and the onion rings are very very good and non-greasy. I had a lemon drop martini and a glass of Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel.

The next night, they took me to Matt's Rib Shack. I had the pulled pork sandwich, which was tasty and of good portion, but they let me sample their slab of ribs and I knew I should have gotten the ribs. Fun place. We sat outside so we could talk, as there was a live blues band dominating the inside dining area. While inside ordering, I observed that they had some of the most effective A/C in humid Atlanta. I had a draft Honker Ale from Goose Island, and a bag of chips.

Finally, after checking out, I was taken to Cafe Intermezzo for brunch, where I had a Cafe Cubano and a Duck Omelet before hitting the road, which really hit the spot. Their desserts looked awesome.

I wish I had more time to explore the offerings in the metro area. I'll be back.

I came home from ATL last night, and got to visit with some old friends while there. The first night I was there, one friend and I cruised around, I was too tired to really make an attempt at finding a gem, (but did see an Indian place that looked good, and others as well), and voiced a requirement for vegetables as part of any meal.

So we ended up at a default; Ted's Montana in Decatur. I had never been so I enjoyed the novelty, and we got to catch up with each other and closed the joint. I liked my bison meatloaf and chopped salad. My friend had a bison burger of some kind, which he enjoyed. The complimentary fresh pickles were addicting, and the onion rings are very very good and non-greasy. I had a lemon drop martini and a glass of Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel.

The next night, they took me to Matt's Rib Shack. I had the pulled pork sandwich, which was tasty and of good portion, but they let me sample their slab of ribs and I knew I should have gotten the ribs. Fun place. We sat outside so we could talk, as there was a live blues band dominating the inside dining area. While inside ordering, I observed that they had some of the most effective A/C in humid Atlanta. I had a draft Honker Ale from Goose Island, and a bag of chips.

Finally, after checking out, I was taken to Cafe Intermezzo for brunch, where I had a Cafe Cubano and a Duck Omelet before hitting the road, which really hit the spot. Their desserts looked awesome.

I wish I had more time to explore the offerings in the metro area. I'll be back.

Forgot about Intermezzo. Don't think I ever went there for dinner, but I remember a large variety of good coffee drinks*, some great desserts and also a good amount of yummy dessert-type drinks. Also, given the atmosphere a great date place.

*The second night of college we drove into Atlanta (from Covington, GA, 40 miles to the east) and ended up there. I was not yet a coffee drinker, none of us had fake IDs and thus no alcohol, and I ordered Turkish coffee. Boy, was that a surprise--I didn't know what it was!

Made our second trip to The Spence this past weekend, with the first having been almost three years ago.

Whenever you walk into a restaurant at 7:30 on a Saturday night that is less than half full, I get nervous.  In this case it turns out that our experience was still enjoyable, but the crowds seem to have moved on.  Started with the bone marrow topped with tuna tartare at the server's recommendation - unfortunately it was only after the plate arrived that I remembered I'd gotten this previously, and for me the concept doesn't really work.  The real highlight of the meal were the brussel sprouts with a Thai Vinaigrette - roasted sprouts with a spicy, tangy, light dressing.  Also split a beet salad and a ricotta gnocchi.

The menu itself, at least right now, didn't speak much to me.  We left full and happy but the selections felt trimmed down and there were no dishes I was dying to try - instead we cobbled together the tolerable, which executed well, became pleasant.

Any recent updates for Atlanta? I'm heading here for a conference in two weeks, and need an affordable dinner option for Friday night, with good scotch/bourbon/whiskey-based drinks, accessible by taxi/Uber or MARTA. I've been looking at One-Eared Stag in Inman Park, but wondering about anything north of downtown. Thanks.

Any recent updates for Atlanta? I'm heading here for a conference in two weeks, and need an affordable dinner option for Friday night, with good scotch/bourbon/whiskey-based drinks, accessible by taxi/Uber or MARTA. I've been looking at One-Eared Stag in Inman Park, but wondering about anything north of downtown. Thanks.

How far north?

How far north?

Probably Midtown/Arts District--not real adventurous, I know. I have reservations at Miller Union for Friday night (though my companion bailed) and One-Eared Stag for Sunday night. The rest of my meals will likely be hotel breakfasts and convention hors d'oeuvres and cheap wine.

I had a packed dining weekend in and around Atlanta recently - some highlights:

- Kimball House (Decatur) : Charming setting in an old railroad terminal. Loved the small $2 "cocktail beer" on the menu to tide you over while waiting for a complicated drink. Best stack of onion rings I've had in recent memory/my life. There was an emphasis on housemade sausages on the menu while I was there, and the duck sausage and boudin blanc were good but I may have been happier grazing on the appetizers and raw bar.

- 5 & 10 (Athens) : Stopped by late on Halloween to a fairly empty bar, had four courses and enjoyed them all, especially the sorghum glazed ribs with kimchi. Wonderful sense of hospitality.

- The Optimist: Gorgeous space in an area dense with worthwhile restaurants. Sat at the bar for a snack and drink, was pleased with what the kitchen was putting out. Large place, but the bar staff (and adjacent customers!) made it feel personal.

- Miller Union: Good, not great, Happy to go, perfectly fine dinner, wouldn't rush back. Satterfield's supposed vegetable mastery didn't really manifest on the plate.

- Minero: Fantastic, the tacos were delicious but seemed like the least bang for the buck on the menu - chips with salsas, churros, etc. were wonderful and an excellent deal.

Two good meals while at my Atlanta conference. As Brian notes above, Miller Union is a solid choice: my bourbon cocktail was expertly made, the marble-size grits-and-ham fritters are nicely done, and both my dining partner and I liked our entrees (his lamb was luscious, and my pork loin was tasty)--but it didn't really rise to the exceptional; it's just good modern Southern cuisine. I like the design (we were in the four-season side room, which was a bit noisy and industrial, but not unpleasantly so); which seems to vary from room to room, from homey to modern.

One-Eared Stag was very quiet on Sunday night, so we were able to have a quiet, intimate dinner. Like Miller Union, the food didn't blow us away, but it was still expertly done. My sunchoke soup was a creative rendition (though I don't remember much about it); the beef belly entree was like stew with minimum gravy--comforting, and a generous portion. My dining partner's hanger steak, on the other hand, seemed rather small, though he liked it. Very good drinks, and a farmhouse-like feel. I recommend both places, but my latter dining partner definitely preferred his visit to Gunshow above One-Eared Stag.

I visited my daughter in Atlanta last week, and we were lucky enough to get reservations at the Staplehouse (www.staplehuse.com).   This restaurant has gotten a lot of rave reviews (e.g., bon appétit said it “is the number one best new restaurant in America in 2016), so I was anxious to try it.

The menu when we were there listed eleven items.  The items are individually priced, and one can order just a few of them; however their recommendation is to treat it like a tasting menu and order all of the items.  Which we did.  All of the food was excellent.  To me the three best items were the “duck rillette, sweet potato, fennel, pine,” the “beets, dandelion, elderflower vinegar, benne,” and the “green garlic agnolotti, morels, koji, arugula.”  The only disappointment was “grandma lillian’s potato bread” which was rather ordinary. The service was excellent, and they have a reasonable selection of wines and beers.

Here are a couple of the items we had:

This is the turnip, carrots, barley, aged beef fat:

IMG_0045.JPG.40716e891017e5ca879faa364b9b9ce5.JPG

This is the chicken liver tart, burnt honey, blood orange, almond:

IMG_0047a.jpg.9c8bbac979d87f7cc0f5acbb3a8dfd28.jpg

Ponce de Leon Market Food Hall is new, new, new, but set in an old building that provides the automatic atmosphere. But what I had there was generally great. I was too late for lunch and too early for dinner at Root Baking (story of my life, I suppose), but had heard such good things that I grabbed one of their afternoon snacks; in this case the Labneh with GREAT olive oil, mint, and some nicely neutral wheat crackers. A perfect afternoon snack, if I had eaten lunch it would have been plenty. This place feels like an old grange hall, replete with the wooden folding chairs--if said grange hall was in the middle of San Francisco (or Atlanta, I guess).

Downstairs I sat down at Ton Ton Ramen (after wandering around indecisively with so many interesting choices) and had a nice tonkatsu ramen and a few yakitori (Japanese sausage and pork belly; both were just okay). This was good--the broth was creamy and filling.

I ended my adventure at Five Daughters bakery, with a nice selection of cupcakes and croissant donuts (one of which is sitting in my hotel room for later-night consumption.

I don't know how the local Atlantans feel about this place, very newly developed, but I enjoyed the food and would happily return. 

• Thanks 1