Mike's Deli and Lazy Sundae, Falls Church - From the Owners of Clare and Don's Beach Shack - Moved onto Leesburg Pike

Very sad, I noticed last night that the neighborhood indie ice cream shop on Wilson is hightailing it to Falls Church. I guess David and Rebecca Tax are consolidating their foodie interests (they own Clare & Don's as well).

Man, ever since I moved away from Clarendon two months ago, the place is just going to hell. At least it's about as easy for me to drive to Falls Church as it was to drive to Clarendon.

I hope their ice cream doesn't suffer from Falls Church's stringent deliciousness tax.

The sign said that the landlord declined to renew the lease. I only hope that we can still get ice cream at Clare and Don's - I know that Red hot and Blue's freezers were holding their entire ice cream stash.

On another Claredon is going to hell note: Faccia Luna has lost their parking lot. *sigh*

Too cute... they have an ice cream truck parked across from Clare & Dons (Wilson & Highland) tonight. Three flavors: chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, and a choice of a few toppings. $3.00 for an adult serving, $2.00 for a kid's serving.

Too cute... they have an ice cream truck parked across from Clare & Dons (Wilson & Highland) tonight. Three flavors: chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, and a choice of a few toppings. $3.00 for an adult serving, $2.00 for a kid's serving.
Wow... that takes me back. Doesn't PARKED sort of defeat the purpose of having an ice cream TRUCK? :unsure:

I just got back from the newly opened "Mike's Deli @ Lazy Sundae," essentially a foray into breakfast and lunch by this ice cream parlor, owned by David and Rebecca Tax of Clare & Don's fame.

The breakfast sandwiches are served all day, although this operation is so new that I'm not even sure what time they open (they were open at 9:30 AM this morning). It's basically one cook on a small flattop grill, but she's quite good at it: A Western Wrap ($5.50) - an omelette breakfast-burrito - and a side of Hash Browns (not yet on the menu, but I think $1) were both pretty much perfect, and with this type of simple, short-order cooking, execution is everything as you well know.

So there's your newest breakfast option in the Falls Church vicinity.

Cheers,

Rocks.

That truck is still parked, but it's now at the gas station on the corner of Route 7 and West Street, and I think it just sits there. Lazy Sundae's property is too small for the truck, and I suspect they rent the parking space from the gas station. The good news is that Lazy Sundae itself is just a few yards away - as is The Simpsons pinball machine - and they're serving Chocolate Mint Chocolate Chip ($2.50 for a scoop). In the past, Lazy Sundae has received a penalty for icing (and I mean actual ice crystals in the ice cream, not frosting on a cake, or the infraction in hockey), but yesterday everything was at proper temperature.

Cheers,

Rocks.

That truck is still parked, but it's now at the gas station on the corner of Route 7 and West Street, and I think it just sits there. Lazy Sundae's property is too small for the truck, and I suspect they rent the parking space from the gas station.

Yep, I chatted with the Taxes the last time I was in there, and the truck has gotten too expensive with the price of gas. So, it stays parked til further notice.

Had a really good cheesesteak at Mike's Deli recently. The meat was tasty and seemed to be of good quality. It was a good-sized sub, and the meat and toppings were nicely proportioned to the size of the roll (my biggest pet peeve is when they fill the roll to overflowing -- you just cant get a good handle on it). There was also just the right amount of grease to the sub, keeping it moist, yet allowing the roll to hold up nicely (my second biggest pet peeve).

My only critique is a huge one: they forgot to include the pickle slice that was supposed to come with the sub. :blink:

I wanted to pay tribute and say thank you to someone you've never heard of before, and may never hear of again: Cristina, who has been working both the cash register and the flat-top grill at Mike's Deli since they opened. Cristina always greets her customers with a warm smile, and to date, I've never gotten an improperly cooked meal here, including this morning's Homemade Corned Beef Hash and Eggs ($7.50, tax included) which includes wheat toast.

I'd say the restaurant world needs lots more Cristinas, but the truth is that they're already out there; you just never hear about them because they don't have panache and don't "play well" to the press - they merely show up, do their job with efficiency and friendliness, and then go home to their families when their day is done.

Thank you, Cristina. I appreciate all that you do here.

• Like 1

So while the three year old finished up his Annual Check-up, flying colors and no shots this time around, my better half said "You want a sandwich to take back to work?" Since we were in Falls Church I knew where she was going with this line of questioning and I quickly answer "Hell Yes!" My better half was one of Rebecca and David's first employees and as well here whole line of siblings worked for them back in the day when they owned Mexacali Blues and the Lazy Sundae, as well Clare and Don's. All 6 of them at one point or another.

Needless to say we ordered sandwiches from Mike's and again I left as happy as one could imagine. Granted I know I will get beat up because I am a veg-head and order veggie meat but to say that these sandwiches are on point would be an understatement. As well, service always comes with a smile. Christina was there and chatted with my better half and my son, Cooper. To tell you what kind of place this is as we were waiting for our sandwiches I looked over my shoulder to spot a man I have known my whole life, Russell Hitt. Yes, the same Russell Hitt who was the founder of Hitt Construction. We chatted for a bit and her got his order handed to him and as he turned to walk away he said "Ain't this place great! Best unknown deli this side of Tysons and their food is so good." This coming from a guy who could eat anywhere for take out but more importantly buy the building while doing it.

Veggie Turkey on Toasted Rye with Lettuce, Onions and a touch of Mayo. Wished I had ordered two of them, first one was gone in seconds.

Probably time to update their new location in the former Long John’s Silver across from the Giant on 7. They had to move due to some lease shenanigans in the previous location. The new place is great - table service if you want it. Same good sandwiches, friendly people, fair prices. 

I've been to the new location twice for take out, and both times got a really good sandwich, Middletown Mike's, which is pastrami, slaw, Russian dressing and cheese on pumpernickel. It is a really excellent flavor combination. The boy got a really good looking grilled cheese sandwich and hot dog. I can see this place being a good casual spot to take him out to eat. Their fries are terrible, alas (they've been changed from the old location, which had shoestring fries, if memory serves correctly).

The new space is nice and bright, with many tables and counter service. Parking might be a problem; both times i got the very last space, which is located next to the dumpster. It's hard to determine where their parking ends and the car dealership's parking begins.

The Italian cold cut sub I had several months ago was decidedly pedestrian, so I had not been anxious to return.  I will have to visit the new location and try something different.  Did they bring the Simpsons' Pinball Party game along to the new place?

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, JBag57 said:

The Italian cold cut sub I had several months ago was decidedly pedestrian, so I had not been anxious to return.  I will have to visit the new location and try something different.  Did they bring the Simpsons' Pinball Party game along to the new place?

Unknown, but other than a flat-top grill (which you should take advantage of), Mike's Deli *is* decidedly pedestrian, i.e., they decided it would be pedestrian, and by damn they're going to go down with this ship. My favorite thing here is the corned beef hash with fried eggs (over easy, so the yolks flow onto the hash).

• Like 1

I think this used to be a Long John Silver's location - right on the corner at a pretty busy intersection.  I tried it today, and got there at 11:30 which I thought would be before the lunch rush.  The place was very busy, so I ordered quickly, opting for the steak & cheese - food came out quickly.  The open kitchen concept, while not new, is never boring.  Steak & cheese was good, lean meat, not greasy.  Fries were nothing special.  Definitely family-friendly, lots of moms and work groups as well as tradespeople working in the area.  I will be back if for nothing else to try the ice cream and something else on the menu.  Atmosphere is very casual and with the picnic bench seating allows one to feel as if they are not 1/2 mile from Route 66 on Route 7.