Uprising Muffin Company, Owner Donnie Simpson Jr.'s Made-From-Scratch Muffins in Shaw

Donnie Simpson Jr. (my next door neighbor and friend in Shaw) just opened up his shop.

He is using Ceremony coffee and all muffins are made in the house. I love the chocolate/cheesecake muffin. I`ve been 4 times so far and the staff is very friendly and helpful. They also have sandwiches and wraps.

There can not be a better location, you literally see the store when you come out of the metro escalator.

Congrats Donnie!!

http://www.uprisingmuffins.com

We finally made it to Uprising on Saturday morning, after having walked by half a dozen times when they were either not open, or we didn't have time to stop in.  We were very eager to visit the shop because, peering in the windows, we could see that they had a copious amount of really comfortable seating -- large upholstered chairs, sofas -- not the usual sparse assortment of uncomfortable concrete slab type seating you find in most coffee houses/bakeries.

The 3 of us spent almost 2 hours there and enjoyed every minute of it.  The staff, especially Donnie, the owner, were very friendly. It's bright and airy and not too loud.  We were happy to see that there was a steady stream of customers during that time, but it never felt crowded.  We were there to have a conversation, but they do have free wifi.

They bake 8 different muffins that are offered every day: blueberry streusel, banana walnut, chocolate chip, lemon poppy seed, black bottom, pumpkin, cranberry orange, and coffee cake.  In addition, each day they bake several additional muffins that rotate according to which day it is.  On Saturday the additional muffins were: two different kinds of savory: bacon, egg and cheddar or spinach, tomato and parmesan; maple pancake, strawberries and cream, cherry and espresso.  MrB had two muffins: the bacon, egg and cheddar which he said was very good; and the coffee cake, which I had a bite of and liked a lot.  My daughter and I had the spinach, tomato and parmesan.  To my taste, it was too sweet -- I would have preferred if it had had more of the savory ingredients.  Donnie brought by samples of freshly baked espresso muffins and oh my, those were great!  All during the time we were there, freshly-baked muffins were constantly being brought out of the kitchen.  According to their website, whatever's left over at the end of the day, they donate.  So, you can feel assured that the muffin you're eating was freshly baked a short while ago.

Not being a coffee aficionado, I'm not going to comment much on the coffee, except to say, as Ferhat noted above, they are using Ceremony coffee.  They offer the usual assortment of coffee drinks.  My daughter was quite excited to see that they were selling bags of Ceremony's Destroyer Espresso Roast -- a favorite of hers.

Uprising is a great addition to the neighborhood and we will return soon!

Not being a coffee aficionado, I'm not going to comment much on the coffee, except to say, as Ferhat noted above, they are using Ceremony coffee.  They offer the usual assortment of coffee drinks.  My daughter was quite excited to see that they were selling bags of Ceremony's Destroyer Espresso Roast -- a favorite of hers. 

Being a coffee aficionado, I was disappointed.  The cappuccino I ordered had a decent enough coffee taste, but would've failed a barista competition based on the look/texture of the foam.  This is not an insignificant thing, as the texture affects the whole beverage.  Still I wouldn't say no to a cup from here.

It's a beautiful shop, with friendly staff.   I'd probably be by often if I lived or worked in the area.

One of the greatest features of Uprising for me, an early riser, insomniac, is that it opens at 6:00 am every day of the week except Sundays, when they open at 7:00.  As you know, it's highly unusual to have places open this early.  AFAIK, only Starbucks opens this early.  There are just some days when all I want to do for breakfast is get food and coffee that someone else made and it's usually very early.  Uprising is a wonderful alternative to Starbucks for that purpose.  This past Saturday morning was such a time and I was thrilled to be able to go to Uprising and find Donnie and crew hard at work at 6:15 am, lights on, doors open.  I emerged with 2 freshly baked, still warm, muffins and a cup of their drip coffee.  The cherry muffin (only available on Saturdays) was really good -- lots of cherries and not too sweet.  The blueberry was not as good, to my taste, but not bad at all.  The coffee was a whole lot better than the bitter and burned stuff they serve at Starbucks.  

• Like 1