165 replies to this topic

#151 lovehockey

lovehockey

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, lovehockey.  My Facebook feed blew up with the Surdyk's recommendation after I'd already eaten at Shoyu in the G terminal - which was totally passable for airport food.  But next time I'm in MSP - and there will likely be a next time because I found it to be the best domestic airport at which to ride out a delay - I'll hit up Surdyk's and (apparently) Dunn Bros. for coffee.

I'm glad to know that I'm in good company!

It's been a while since I've flown through MSP but I'd be shocked if they don't still have the coupon books for shops and restaurants, listed by concourse.  Look for them by the airport map displays.

#152 MBK

MBK

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

How about LAX? Not sure what terminal I'll be in - will be transferring from a united trans-pacific flight to a united domestic flight - and will need dinner. Go! (And, thanks!)
DC Food for Thought

If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.

#153 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

Mr. BLB still talks about the Wolfgang Puck breakfast pizza we had at LAX on the way to Hawaii in 2006. 

#154 cheezepowder

cheezepowder

leviathan

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Folks have already mentioned Tortas Frontera in Chicago's O'Hare upthread. 

I actually picked a flight that had a layover in Chicago just so I could stop at Frontera and get a torta.  I've been to Xoco and wanted another torta!  They make the tortas to order so it takes 10 minutes (they warned me when I ordered).  Luckily I had enough time between flights to wait.  The short rib torta was delicious.  I also love their guacamole and tortilla chips (you can really taste the corn).

#155 daveo

daveo

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

there are good options and ugh options:   http://news.yahoo.co...-180711528.html

#156 deangold

deangold

Brunello Riserva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

And there are cheese heads who would pay a lot of get cheese with maggots... all a matter of context...

Casu Marzu

Vi Hart on Context in 12 easy steps

#157 Xochitl10

Xochitl10

えいえい東北!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Am sitting at Bar Symon in the C gates (near the "central core") of Pittsburgh International Airport. The "Mandarin Blossom" (Hangar One Mandarin Vodka, Campari, and lime juice) is a delightful drink, although I think it would be more balanced with a touch more lime juice. I'm not snacking, but the menu looks tasty enough, focusing on "Lola fries" with various toppings (rosemary, chili/cheese, pulled pork, sausage gravy).

PIT

北緯39度

"I am not edible!" -- C-3PO

#158 Sundae in the Park

Sundae in the Park

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Some interesting spots in this article from Yahoo.

I'm excited about the new Ink.sack at LAX!

#159 Tweaked

Tweaked

Hungry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

We had an hour to kill at DFW over the Holidays.  Had dinner at Pappasito's Cantina (Terminal A, Gate 28) and was pleasantly surprised.  The charred tomato salsa and guac were both good, although the tortilla chips were fairly average.  The Baja fish tacos were solid with good rice and beans.  Modelo on tap.  Be warned - the portion sizes are massive, one entree can easily feed two.

The Pappas Restaurant Group looks to be big with 8 restaurant concepts and more than 80 locations.

Having not spent much time in Texas, I have no idea if Pappasito's Cantina is considered good Tex-mex, but it was good airport food.

DFW.

• KMango likes this

Meat is Murder...Tasty Tasty Murder

#160 aivlys

aivlys

shrimp

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

We had an hour to kill at DFW over the Holidays.  Had dinner at Pappasito's Cantina (Terminal A, Gate 28) and was pleasantly surprised.  The charred tomato salsa and guac were both good, although the tortilla chips were fairly average.  The Baja fish tacos were solid with good rice and beans.  Modelo on tap.  Be warned - the portion sizes are massive, one entree can easily feed two.

The Pappas Restaurant Group looks to be big with 8 restaurant concepts and more than 80 locations.

Having not spent much time in Texas, I have no idea if Pappasito's Cantina is considered good Tex-mex, but it was good airport food.

DFW.

Almost ate there today.  We were on the rental car shuttle on the way to Terminal A when we got word that our flight moved to Terminal C.  We had been looking forward to mid-morning margaritas and appetizers (chicken tamales are my go to).  I never order a entree because of the large portions.  Whenever we are in Terminal A we grab a quick drinks at Pappasito's.  Last month I had to offer the boss an arm to hold on to as we made our way onto our flight - I was glad I had only had 2 ZiegenBocks. 

#161 Xochitl10

Xochitl10

えいえい東北!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

Charleston (SC) International Airport has an impressive number of drinking holes for a ten-gate airport. By my estimation, the Magnolia Grill outside security, plus the lounge and Sam Adams Brewhouse in the B gates and an assumed equivalent number of drinking locations in the A gates, equal five bars, or one bar for every two gates. I spent the afternoon at the B gates Sam Adams Brewhouse, where I should've stuck with the drafts -- a Hendricks G&T was a) warm and b ) limeless. I can't vouch for the food anywhere because I was too blessedly full of jambalaya to eat.

CHS

北緯39度

"I am not edible!" -- C-3PO

#162 hillvalley

hillvalley

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

I've been in nine airports in six months in Europe and the US and by far the absolute worst, without a close second, is Malpensa, the major airport for Milan.  The food choices are lousy, it's rare that every thing is open, and the prices are absurd.  I'm not looking for gourmet food but one should be able to get a decent panini from the sandwich shops or mozzarella from the mozzarella bar.  No dice though.

One the other hand, Malpensa has a separate security line for families traveling with children.  That is something all airports should implement.

How do you know you're a well-adjusted foodie?-babka
Will schmooz for schmaltz-qwertyy

Just keep on smiling-Mrs. Brown

She never promised that life would be easy, but she did promise that if I hung with her the food would be good. -Joan Bauer

...the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.
-Michael Chabon

#163 tfbrennan

tfbrennan

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Thanks, lovehockey.  My Facebook feed blew up with the Surdyk's recommendation after I'd already eaten at Shoyu in the G terminal - which was totally passable for airport food.  But next time I'm in MSP - and there will likely be a next time because I found it to be the best domestic airport at which to ride out a delay - I'll hit up Surdyk's and (apparently) Dunn Bros. for coffee.

MSP

I'll be killing 2 hours @ MSP next month, so appreciate the rec. If Dunn's has Kringle, someone will be happy.

MSP

She came down the stairs in a cocktail dress; she fell on her food like a lioness... -- Richard Thompson

#164 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

I'll be killing 2 hours @ MSP next month, so appreciate the rec. If Dunn's has Kringle, someone will be happy.

How's this for a name? I had a really good Caffe Americano here today, served in a real ceramic mug, half-and-half poured and served in a tiny metal pitcher, was offered raw cane sugar, and super-friendly service, for the rather amazing (airport) price of $2.50. It's tucked away in an obscure corridor where gates G1-G3 are. And there's free WiFi *and* iPads all over the place - and I mean there are dozens of them.

(Apologies for the rotation.)

IMG_1037.JPG

MSP

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#165 RWBooneJr.

RWBooneJr.

hammerhead

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Looks like it has a decent beer selection for an airport too. Kind of funny that your coffee was exactly 1/100th of the cost of DC's minibar.

#166 SVT

SVT

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Toronto/Pearson has a True Burger company with okay poutine--nothing spectacular, mind you, but not bad. In the US transit terminal, it's right next door to Tim Horton's, so burger/poutine/maple donut options are possible...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users