Old Time HH at the Red Hen May 2nd

mdt

As a result of the discussion here, it's time to get the HHs rolling again. Friday May 2nd, show up have a drink (or two or three), something to eat (or not), and socialize.

It has been way too long without these informal gatherings, maybe we can get some of the old gang back together.

Is it a better walk from the Shaw metro station or NoMa?  Shaw looks closer, but I'll walk from farther if it's more pedestrian-friendly.

(Tentatively in.)

The walk from shaw is easy. Traffic lights and crossing signals in enough places to make the walk safe for pedestrians.

The walk from shaw is easy. Traffic lights and crossing signals in enough places to make the walk safe for pedestrians.

Thanks!  That's what I needed to know.  If the weather is really nice, I might walk all the way up and only take metro back.

I'm never home anymore (full disclosure blah blah blah), but remember when we used to have big ol', sling-bottles-across-the-room wine happy hours at Corduroy in its old Four Points location? While I would still advocate doing that at the current Corduroy location, the list at Red Hen is more than worthy of the same treatment, and plenty edgy. I just wish I could join y'all.

Well, Jake, here's the damage...

White:

Venica Pinot Bianco, Collio, 2012

Venica, Pinot Grigio, Collio,2012

Gobelsburg, Gruner Veltliner, 2012 (x2) (Not my fault, JG broke the rules)

Red:

Andrian, Lagrein, Alto Adige, 2012

Verso, Negroamero blend, Salento, 2012

Rivera, Aglianico, Puglia, 2006

Grimaldi, Nebbiolo d'Alba, 2008

GIovanni Rosso, Barbera d'Alba 2011

Random dishes with random forks put in by whoever was hungry.

The Gruner was great to start on a warmer day. I preferred the the pinot bianco to the pinot grigio. To me the grigio was just a little too one note, but still eminently gulp-able.

My WOTN was the Rivera, but I think it was a little too geeky for most. The Nebbiolo was the biggest hit. I couldn't convince anyone to go in on some Orange wine.

BTW - none of these bottles cost more than $55 and they were all delicious. Nicely done, Sebastian and crew.

BTW2 - Very nice service to a flowing crowd that was ordering random things at random times, moving around at random, left at random times, and paid for random things (I think we got the math right,please let me know if we were off). Props to the bar and kitchen staffs.

BTW3 - The lamb meatloaf sandwich is a thing of beauty. Order. Eat. Enjoy.

BTW4 - No (live) animals were harmed in this production.

• Like 1

Sorry to have missed it - we actually showed up, but we were a bit late and the bar was already packed (and neither hubby nor I wanted to stand around, having done so at Red Hen the previous weekend).  I also didn't recognize anyone, so I guess next time I should ask for some markers - i.e., where are people going to congregate, what is someone wearing, etc)!  I'm glad those who made it enjoyed.  Next time!

Sorry to have missed it - we actually showed up, but we were a bit late and the bar was already packed (and neither hubby nor I wanted to stand around, having done so at Red Hen the previous weekend).  I also didn't recognize anyone, so I guess next time I should ask for some markers - i.e., where are people going to congregate, what is someone wearing, etc)!  I'm glad those who made it enjoyed.  Next time!

That's too bad. I wouldn't think that we were hard to miss. Just look for the bald guy in the Hawaiian shirt.

• Like 1

I totally missed the entire discussion! For some reason I am no longer receiving any notifications from DR. Glad to see the HH returning and hoping to make the next one!

[PM me and describe for me what's no longer happening - there must be a setting that needs changing, and I'll help you fix it.]

My WOTN was the Rivera, but I think it was a little too geeky for most.

BTW2 - Very nice service to a flowing crowd that was ordering random things at random times, moving around at random, left at random times, and paid for random things (I think we got the math right,please let me know if we were off). Props to the bar and kitchen staffs.

I agree on the Rivera, easily the top wine of the night and the two bartenders provided excellent service to us and all the other folks at the bar. The food was very good and I want to return to try more of the dishes. The charred beef tongue was an excellent starter.

Betty -- as for where we were, we had pretty much the entire front part of the bar from 530-930p. Next time just yell Rockwell and someone will turn around.  :P