Dining in Courthouse

I had thought about this previously. That can't possibly be the Wendy's they refer to - it has no drive-thru, virtually no parking, and even Kreskin wouldn't know to turn onto Veitch Street, much less to follow it all the way to Courthouse.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Yeah, there's a drive-thru. And there's also always skanky fogged windows on the joint. Yuck! I comment on how filthy the place looks everytime I pass by.

Yeah, there's a drive-thru. And there's also always skanky fogged windows on the joint. Yuck! I comment on how filthy the place looks everytime I pass by.

I didn't believe there was a drive-thru here, but I saw it with my own eyes today. I also realized why I've never noticed it before: It's because the entire trip up/down Wilson/Clarendon Boulevards between N. Rhodes Street and Courthouse Road is marred by a gigantic, uninterrupted island of blight, the Dreaderal Triangle, with Rhodeside Grill, Il Radicchio, and Wendy's at its vertices, and a Taco Bell and Dr. Dremo in the center (don't tell me how cool Dr. Dremo is; from the outside, it looks like a junkyard run by Ed Gein). Right across from Wendy's is a little stone-statue thing of a mother and child in consolatory anguish, probably because they just finished eating at one of these joints. On a more upbeat note, TNR Café has just opened right next to the post office (TNR stands for Tea Noodles Rice). This place probably won't be worth anything more than neighborhood take-out (the menu is mostly unadventurous strip-mall Chinese) but the interior has some charm, and the woks are still new enough where they haven't had a chance to fester.

Cheers,

Rocks.

P.S. The following posts have been split into separate threads:

TNR Cafe (DLB)

Me Jana (Demvtr)

Mr. Hibachi (SeanMike)

Euro Market Cafe (Mark Slater)

Ragtime (goodeats)

Chez Manelle (goldenticket)

Ireland's Four Courts (SeanMike)

Hikaru (goldenticket)

The Corner Bakery (daveo)

Sawatdee (daveo)

I didn't believe there was a drive-thru here, but I saw it with my own eyes today. I also realized why I've never noticed it before: It's because the entire trip up/down Wilson/Clarendon Boulevards between N. Rhodes Street and Courthouse Road is marred by a gigantic, uninterrupted island of blight, the Dreaderal Triangle, with Rhodeside Grill, Il Radicchio, and Wendy's at its vertices, and a Taco Bell and Dr. Dremo in the center (don't tell me how cool Dr. Dremo is; from the outside, it looks like a junkyard run by Ed Gein). Right across from Wendy's is a little stone-statue thing of a mother and child in consolatory anguish, probably because they just finished eating at one of these joints.

The inevitable "In its Defense" post follows...

Most of that area is probably not much longer for this earth regardless, as you simply can't pull enough profit out of fast food and a dive bar to keep from selling the land. I know the land under the taco bell and dremos has been sold. It was briefly fun to imagine the poor folk who had just purchased condos for half a million dollars in the Odyssey across the street waking up, looking out their windows, and seeing Ed Gein's rumpus room. I imagine the Wendy's and Il Radicchio will stay around for a bit longer. The Wendy's has been done to death already and the less said about the fogged up windows, the better for us all. Il Radicchio is worth keeping around; I can't speak about the wine selection, but the food is quite good. The sauces that are described as spicy actually are and the all you can eat pasta is a good deal. The carbonara isn't too heavy and the bologhnese has that authentic Italian bite that you can only get if you've used a little horse meat (I kid, I kid). The pizza dough is the right kind of yeasty and the list of toppings is extensive and fresh.

Mr. Rocks, I can't convince you to try Dr. Dremo. There is nothing good there that is not also gimmicky (Chocolate Doughnut Stout) or purely experiential (roof leaking while playing pool). However, there was apparently a time (I'm new to the area) when all of Arlington was filled with the sort of people who would put a dumptruck full of sand onto their outdoor patio in order to recreate a broken glass strewn, cigarette butt laden ocean paradise and then neglect to wonder what would happen if it rained and the sand buried the Hollywood Video parking lot down the hill. I go to pay homage to that lost age; also, they let you top your burgers with guacamole.

I'm meeting out of town relatives tomorrow night for dinner. They're staying at the Holiday Inn in Courthouse. (They're in town for an interment at Arlington National Cemetery.) I'd appreciate any recommendations or cautions for eateries in that area. I may suggest Ray's, but it might be too big a group to get in there. I don't know most of these folks, so I'm not aware of cuisine preferences or aversions.

Thanks for any info!

I'm meeting out of town relatives tomorrow night for dinner. They're staying at the Holiday Inn in Courthouse. (They're in town for an interment at Arlington National Cemetery.) I'd appreciate any recommendations or cautions for eateries in that area. I may suggest Ray's, but it might be too big a group to get in there. I don't know most of these folks, so I'm not aware of cuisine preferences or aversions.

Thanks for any info!

What is too big a group? How far do you want to walk as you can head up to Clarendon for more options. Nearby is Sawatadee (Thai) or Minh's (Vietnamese). Clarendon has Liberty Tavern or Boulevard Wood Grill that could possibly seat larger parties.

What is too big a group? How far do you want to walk as you can head up to Clarendon for more options. Nearby is Sawatadee (Thai) or Minh's (Vietnamese). Clarendon has Liberty Tavern or Boulevard Wood Grill that could possibly seat larger parties.
Thanks for those suggestions!

I have no idea how large a group it will be. And I think the hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn, but I'm trying to confirm that.

I don't handle uncertainty well--this is very frustrating for me.

I like the suggestion of Minh's - it's spacious, quiet, exotic but not too exotic, and might be perfect for a large group of motleys.

The restaurant guide has a section for Courthouse which omits Ray's and Guajillo to Rosslyn, which is just wacky, but the good places are included there. Honestly, the only places to avoid like the plague would be Attila's (the food is all right, they just happen to be a little surly), Summers, and Larry's Cookies. I haven't eaten at the Italian place across from Sawatdee or at Ragtime, but I haven't heard raves about them.

The restaurant guide has a section for Courthouse which omits Ray's and Guajillo to Rosslyn, which is just wacky, but the good places are included there. Honestly, the only places to avoid like the plague would be Attila's (the food is all right, they just happen to be a little surly), Summers, and Larry's Cookies. I haven't eaten at the Italian place across from Sawatdee or at Ragtime, but I haven't heard raves about them.

Right, well, I've driven up-and-down the Clarendon Blvd / Wilson Blvd corridor endlessly, looking for logical borders to Rosslyn, Courthouse, and Clarendon. Here is what I've decided to do for the dining guide, in principle:

The Rosslyn-Courthouse border is at Rhodes Street (meaning Ray's The Steaks is Rosslyn, but Rhodeside Grill is Courthouse).

The Courthouse-Clarendon border is at Danville Street (meaning Minh's is Courthouse, but Whole Foods is Clarendon).

Reasonable? This is a tough one, with no "official" answers to be found.

Honestly, the only places to avoid like the plague would be ... Summers...

Unless you like to watch football on the telly - Summers is routinely voted as one of the top few bars in the COUNTRY to watch a proper match at. They even open at odd hours for breakfast when European or Asian tournaments are on.

Sure, will you chip in for 1/2 of my rent? ;)

BTW, they sell our chocolates at Biagio Fine Chocolate at 18th and T. They are open until 8 PM as well. However, if you do come across the river, please come by and introduce yourself....

Have you thought about opening a store in one of the small spaces in Clarendon? I know the rents are sky high but with those demographics I think you could charge a fortune for your products if you marketed them right.

Have you thought about opening a store in one of the small spaces in Clarendon? I know the rents are sky high but with those demographics I think you could charge a fortune for your products if you marketed them right.

What small spaces?

Believe me, we have been trying VERY hard to move our shop down to the Clarendon/Courthouse area for sometime. The problem is there is nothing really available. The problem is not really with the lease rates (even though they are pretty high in Arlington) but finding the right size place in the right location. Hopefully that will change soon......

I guess we are really off topic now, sorry to all who are looking for more cupcake info.

What small spaces?

Believe me, we have been trying VERY hard to move our shop down to the Clarendon/Courthouse area for sometime. The problem is there is nothing really available. The problem is not really with the lease rates (even though they are pretty high in Arlington) but finding the right size place in the right location. Hopefully that will change soon......

I guess we are really off topic now, sorry to all who are looking for more cupcake info.

I'm not sure what I'm thinking about exactly but I know that there is a new gelato shop opening up in a small space next to whole foods, for example.

And I agree on the right location--you would need foot traffic--obviously as close to Clarendon ballroom as possible...

My go-to spots for a quick lunch (usually grabbing something and taking it back to the office) seem to all be Asian-themed.

Mr. Hibachi has a selection of rice bowls and noodle soups topped with chicken or beef and your choice of sauces (peanut mustard, spicy, and teriyaki). The regular size rice bowls are filling and seem to be relatively healthy, not oversauced and with carefully placed pieces of broccoli, cabbage, and carrots underneath the meat. The chicken with peanut mustard is the one I usually choose along with the Maewoon (spicy) beef. They are generous with the meats and both chicken and beef are tender and not overcooked. The noodle bowls offer similar toppings (minus the sauce) and are a good choice on a chilly day.

TNR has some more authentic dishes available (see the Chinese language section on the back of the menu) and the staff is always willing to help translate if you ask. I've enjoyed the ja jian mein lately - a chili-mac of sorts - ground beef and minced tofu in a brown sauce atop lo mein (I think) noodles and sprouts. Comfort food of sorts - not too exciting, but also hits the spot on days when I'm looking for something simple.

The former Kopan House, which was recently Yami-Yami, has now turned in to Hikaru Japanese cuisine/sushi. I had enoyed the decent by the pound sushi (mostly rolls) at the previous incarnation, but they no longer offer their buffet. They've just opened this week so there were some hitches in my carryout order of chicken noodle (udon) soup. It almost seemed as if I'd been served the sauteed noodle version of the dish with a side of miso thrown in - not quite what I was expecting. They also offer the usual sushi lunch choices and bento boxes - all at about twice the $5 I could get away with at the buffet, but still comparable in price to the sushi options down the road at Whole Foods- and at Hikaru they include miso soup and salad.

My partners and I hope to open a restaurant in the Courthouse area, but are puzzled by the fact that most restaurants there except for Ray's the Steaks don't do much business. Me Jana is busy at times, but many other places are slow even at peak times. Does anyone have insights as to why? Is it that people find restaurants in Clarendon more appealing & go there to eat out? We feel we can be a draw even if that market isn't known as a good place to eat, but we're curious why our surveys show so many empty seats there.

I think the restaurants in Courthouse don't do as much business because alot of them aren't that good or worth seeking out and there's much less foot traffic than in Clarendon because it doesn't have the stores or as many bars that Clarendon has to draw people to the neighborhood. The restaurants in Courthouse Plaza like Sawatdee and Asahi are also hidden from the street.

I think the restaurants in Courthouse don't do as much business because alot of them aren't that good or worth seeking out and there's much less foot traffic than in Clarendon because it doesn't have the stores or as many bars that Clarendon has to draw people to the neighborhood. The restaurants in Courthouse Plaza like Sawatdee and Asahi are also hidden from the street.

Agree with the above.

GuaRapo is ok for happy hour, Rays is great, it's also a recent newcomer and doesn't have a bar so doesn't help the bar scene, Me Janna is good but more expensive than many places with similar dishes. We go to Satwadee when we go to the movies there. But it isn't a place you would go bar hoping at, or just drive to and say well meet here and pick some place to go or that you would want to walk around after dinner and explore. Also there is the courthouse parking lot but it is kind of hidden and most people if they don't know about the Highland garage go to the one at the shopping plaza which isn't too expensive and highly visible in Clarendon.

They have more lunch options because of the courthouse that just aren't exactly what you want for dinner, but serve their purpose. But also because of the times of the Arlington dockets I never am there at lunch time.

Velocity Five has been fairly crowded every time I've gone there.

I think this is important, because there was never anybody at King Street Blues, it just takes a fresh makeover (and some serious cash investment) to get people interested in a place.

There's restaurant space in the hotel that's going in across from Me Jana, and there's an empty Camille's Sidewalk Cafe next to Jerry's, I'd have to think those are sites you're considering (I'm not familiar with others in the neighborhood). If I won the lottery, I'd buy Summers--totally underutilized, great location.

I think this is important, because there was never anybody at King Street Blues, it just takes a fresh makeover (and some serious cash investment) to get people interested in a place.

By no means do I think Velocity Five is great - but it's definitely also a step up from King Street Blues, both in terms of food (though that's kind of relative) and service. And, to be honest, it is what it is - a sports bar. If there are multiple games on, that's one of the places to go (there and Ragtime, really, though come football season I'll be at Ragtime quite a bit in all odds).

There's restaurant space in the hotel that's going in across from Me Jana, and there's an empty Camille's Sidewalk Cafe next to Jerry's, I'd have to think those are sites you're considering (I'm not familiar with others in the neighborhood). If I won the lottery, I'd buy Summers--totally underutilized, great location.

Summers does a surprising amount of business. I don't care for it but from what I understand it kills with the soccer crowd.

To make an educated guess at the original poster's question, I would guess that one of the main differences is the type of establishment each neighborhood hosts. Courthouse has never seen anything like Boulevard Woodgrill or Liberty Tavern. A lot of the places in Courthouse that have succeeded seem to fill a specific niche (Brooklyn Bagel, Four Courts, Sawatdee, etc.) Additionally, I think a lot of places in Courthouse are more conducive to takeout than places in Clarendon (CalTort, TNR, both Thai places, Listrani's) which could account for some of the empty seats during prime dining times.

As a longtime resident of Courthouse, I think neighborhood could definitely support something like Liberty Tavern, with a good bar scene (and good bar food) that has a separate dining room that is appropriate for business and casual dining.

Something new is coming to the former Mr. Hibachi space - a banner hanging over the entrance says "Chez Manelle - coming soon".

The Perfect Pita has added another location in the Courthouse plaza. It's very small, with no seating. They have decently priced and what seem to be reasonably healthy sandwiches. I prefer the chicken hummus veggie pitas (also available with turkey, gyro, etc). Choice of regular or whole wheat pitas and you can also choose one of their four hummus options (Jalapeño • Black Bean & Cilantro • Roasted Red Pepper • Regular). The sandwiches run $5-6, as do their salads and pizzas.

The staff of our school made suggestions as to where to eat in Courthouse and nearby Clarendon if you are visiting the school. Staffers agree with the consensus opinions of even the esteemed foodies at DR.com, promoting Minh's, Java Shack, and Earls. We even reference the threads here for Earl's and Java Shack.

The funny thing is with so many visitors, food is always a big topic...and we'll see a lot of folks take up suggestions for Earl's, the pho at Minh's and the sandwiches from the NY Express.

Its certainly not a fine dining list, but one more oriented toward quick meals, drinks near our location and a big staff support for Cava in Clarendon.

Me: I'm currently in favor of the funky food and flavors at Bayou Bakery, among other choices and still like the Jersey styled Pizzas at Toscana Grill or the amazing sandwiches and turkey chili at Earl's.

The staff of our school made suggestions as to where to eat in Courthouse and nearby Clarendon if you are visiting the school. Staffers agree with the consensus opinions of even the esteemed foodies at DR.com, promoting Minh's, Java Shack, and Earls. We even reference the threads here for Earl's and Java Shack.

The funny thing is with so many visitors, food is always a big topic...and we'll see a lot of folks take up suggestions for Earl's, the pho at Minh's and the sandwiches from the NY Express.

Its certainly not a fine dining list, but one more oriented toward quick meals, drinks near our location and a big staff support for Cava in Clarendon.

Me: I'm currently in favor of the funky food and flavors at Bayou Bakery, among other choices and still like the Jersey styled Pizzas at Toscana Grill or the amazing sandwiches and turkey chili at Earl's.

This is great! I am always doing quick meals in courthouse because of being in and out of court there, and I like to have somewhere to sit down rather than food truck so I can look over my notes and work while I eat. Other lawyers go to the Subway or that other little cafe, but I take the opportunity to peruse options that I otherwise wouldn't have for lunch.

This is great! I am always doing quick meals in courthouse because of being in and out of court there, and I like to have somewhere to sit down rather than food truck so I can look over my notes and work while I eat. Other lawyers go to the Subway or that other little cafe, but I take the opportunity to peruse options that I otherwise wouldn't have for lunch.

I'd agree with Bayou Bakery, Earl's, and Minh's for sure. At Minh's, the pho is actually not my favorite thing -- I would go for the crisp pork-filled spring rolls, the grilled shrimp over vermicelli, and the crispy yam appetizer (fried thick shreds of yam, compressed into triangles, with whole fried shrimp atop them, lettuce and herbs to wrap with, and dipping sauce).

• Like 1

Genevieve:

Over the years I've tried a lot of dishes at Minh's. Can't speak to a favorite though I've enjoyed many meals there.

Our little article on behalf of the school was oriented to our entire groups' experiences, specific dishes, and dishes and places we recommend to our visitors at the school. Staff, students, and I are all big fans of the pho at lunch, especially during winters.

Overall I've had wonderful dining experiences at Minh's, and unfortunately I can't pick particular favorites right now. That menu is huge, btw. I usually need a lot of help with it.

I think your article was really helpful for people in the area, daveo! My son and husband like Minh's pho, and it's a good pho, I just prefer the pho at Nam Viet in Clarendon (and my late lamented Cafe Dalat), which has more depth of flavor. I love so many other things at Minh's, though. Will also recommend the scallops with mint in what I think was a coconut curry, and the five-spice chicken, and the Vietnamese crepe is supposed to be excellent, and any of the grilled dishes over vermicelli, or grilled with packets of lettuce for dipping. And there's so many things I haven't tried, because of the length of the menu.

The two building complexes that are under construction look massive (on the block where Taco Bell and Dremos used to be). I dont know what the plans are for retail on the ground floor, but it will be interesting to see if these new buildings turn the area between Courthouse and Rosslyn into more of a restaurant/shopping destination.

Dining.....or NOT DINING in Courthouse

In a few months the building(s) in the attached pic will come down.  The four retailers, all food and beverage places/ restaurants, a bar, a takeout place...are all closed and have been for at least a month now and several months in some cases.

Not that any were great.  IMHO Thai at Corner was pretty good.  Listrani's --just okay...but a definite competitor for take out.  The other two--> meh.

Still it eliminates a series of alternatives for the neighborhood and is probably good for all the remaining restaurants.

I guess one calls this progress???

post-9660-0-75533900-1398003756_thumb.jp

I kind of liked the Tunisian place when I was living down there.

ugh....went there once.  Just hated it.

For a neighborhood place that was reliable, reasonable and offered good food I enjoyed Thai at Corner.  Sad to seem them leave.  I hope they opened or will open elsewhere.

We do takeout from Sawatdee and like it - if I get pad thai, I usually make two meals out of it.  My husband likes their pad see ew.

Also now in Courthouse is SweetLeaf.  This has replaced Listrani as the place for me to get a fresh mozzarella/tomato/basil sandwich.  They do sandwiches, salads, breakfasts, ice cream and cookies, so not so much a dinner place beyond sandwich and salad.  But it's working well as that for us every couple of weeks or so.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2014 at 2:21 PM, SeanMike said:

I kind of liked the Tunisian place when I was living down there.

On 4/24/2014 at 6:22 PM, DaveO said:

ugh....went there once.  Just hated it.  

Is this Chez Manelle which became Taste of Tunisia in late 2011? If so, it (Taste of Tunisia) closed in mid-2013 despite 5-star Yelp reviews leading you to believe otherwise.

---

Guarapo Lounge (cheezepowder)

"Dining in Courthouse" or Not Dining, as the case may be.

Rooftop Bar and Grill was suddenly closed.    It seemed very popular and got strong crowds.   The rooftop was VERY busy.

A sign posted on the front door states that it was closed by order of the State for non-payment of taxes.   I wonder if you can cure  and reopen?? 

On 5/16/2019 at 1:28 PM, DaveO said:

"Dining in Courthouse" or Not Dining, as the case may be.

Rooftop Bar and Grill was suddenly closed.    It seemed very popular and got strong crowds.   The rooftop was VERY busy.

A sign posted on the front door states that it was closed by order of the State for non-payment of taxes.   I wonder if you can cure  and reopen?? 

....and to answer the question, I walked out the door and the lien notice was taken down, there was someone bringing something in...then later their flat screen TV was on, there were lights on and I saw customers walking in.   The closure evidently took place two days ago, so a principle, or their attorney arranged a stay or made payment(s) and they are back open.

Great news for the rooftop bar denizens of Arlington.

---

Takeshi Sushi and Ramen (Genevieve)