Best Mexican To Recommend To Californians, Between Baltimore and Richmond

DaRiv18

Similar to this discussion here.  I also see El Chucho is ranked highly in the Dining Guide.  I hate recommending any food spots to folks from CA, but that's where I find myself now with no other recourse.

If you could recommend something in DC, and then a place anywhere between Baltimore and Richmond if you think it's better, I'd think we'd be set.  I'm happy to provide closure to this quest by relaying her reaction to the food, but I am pessimistic about this person being thrilled.

I've never had an outstanding meal at El Chucho; everything has always been...fine.  For my money, Super Taco on Columbia between Adams Morgan and Mt. Pleasant provides a much tastier Mexican experience -- I really enjoy their huitlacoche quesadillas -- but with one small table it's certainly not the kind of place to dine in for dinner.  Casa Oaxaca in Adams Morgan is okay and might be a little different than most of the regional Mexican food in California.

D.C. proper is not a great area for Mexican food; I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has some great recommendations from Maryland or Virginia.

• Like 1

I'd go with El Chucho in DC, and then Taqueria La Placita in Hyattsville. I have not had an outstanding Mexican meal in DC proper, but El Chucho is the place I like the most. And FWIW, I'm also coming at this from a West Coast perspective (with my mom from Southern California, and Mexican).

I've not been to R&R Taqueria, but I've heard great things. I need to make that happen soon.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why visitors from California would want to bother eating at a Mexican restaurant here.  Why not try something that is less ubiquitous out there?

Anyway, I might send them to Taco Bamba in Falls Church.  It's less a restaurant than a carryout joint with some seating, but the food is darn good.  Many different kinds of tacos that are very good, excellent posole.  There is zero ambiance and they don't serve alcohol, but the food is worth the visit.

Like DCDuck above, I've not been to R&R Taqueria either, but it does seem to get the most love from those who have been.  It's in Elkridge, I believe.

• Like 1

I'd go with El Chucho in DC, and then Taqueria La Placita in Hyattsville. I have not had an outstanding Mexican meal in DC proper, but El Chucho is the place I like the most. And FWIW, I'm also coming at this from a West Coast perspective (with my mom from Southern California, and Mexican).

I've not been to R&R Taqueria, but I've heard great things. I need to make that happen soon.

What have you had at El Chucho that you've been really psyched about?  Everything these just ends up tasting okay when I've been.

DaRiv18, I know these are totally different types of cuisine that have nothing to do with each other, but if you're not set on Mexican you can always take them to either Estadio or Barcelona for some damn good Spanish food.

I wouldn't say that I've been really psyched about anything there (or in DC proper at all). What I have liked the most was the pozole, the elote, the cocktails and the atmosphere. What I liked the least was the tacos.

I have hopes that Impala will be better, but not sure if they will be. Their tacos are better.

I wouldn't say that I've been really psyched about anything there (or in DC proper at all). What I have liked the most was the pozole, the elote, the cocktails and the atmosphere. What I liked the least was the tacos.

I have hopes that Impala will be better, but not sure if they will be. Their tacos are better.

I haven't had the pozole.  I'll have to try that.  I've been underwhelmed by their cocktails in the past, and atmosphere doesn't count for much for me if the food doesn't match up.  ;)

It's important to remember that Diana Davila-Boldin has moved to Chicago, and she was the one primarily responsible for El Chucho's early quality. As to whether it should still be ranked so highly, that's another issue (and a valid question).

If you can get your friend out to Taco Bamba for the Posole, you'll secure bragging rights.

Speaking of which, I went to the most *amazing* Modern Mexican restaurant in Orange County a couple weeks ago: Taco Maria in Costa Mesa. In fact, I was there the night that the LA Times' photographer was taking pictures for this story (the (pictured) Baja Blood and Chocolate clam dish was my first course) - I meant to post about it earlier, but completely forgot. There is absolutely nothing like this here in the DC area, or most likely anywhere else in the country - ask your friends if they know of it, and urge them to go if they're anywhere near there. I'm not sure when the cut-off date for the James Beard "Best New Restaurant" Award is, but Taco Maria absolutely deserves consideration, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a finalist and perhaps even the winner. As my friend who urged me to go said, "There's no place in the U.S. that's doing what Carlos is doing right now." It is truly cutting edge, and like no other meal I've ever had. What's so refreshing about it is that it's "bullshit without being Bullshit," if that makes any sense. Yes, it's weird, and pushing the envelope, but it also *tastes good,* the ingredients are impeccable, and the portions are large enough where you can actually enjoy the food.

• Like 2

If your California friends are looking for a somewhat upscale Mexican meal, take them to Oyamel.

If they want very good pan-Latin food in a trendy place, take them to Del Campo.

If they want to go to a casual taqueria, take them to Taco Bamba near Tyson's Corner. I'm from L.A. and Taco Bamba is the best Mexican food I have found in this area. But, as Laura B has said above it's a VERY casual, eat from paper receptacles at a counter kind of place. BTW the same guy, Victor Albisu owns both Del Campo and Taco Bamba.

• Like 1