Ovens

smithhemb

I'm contemplating a kitchen remodel and while the cooktop looks relatively easy, I'm unsure about the oven.  So I'd be really interested if anyone here has a strong opinion (either way) re residential ovens.

I'm leaning toward (but could be swayed from) a wall oven.  I've had a 27" GE double oven (electric, chosen by the builder) for the last 17.5 years.  The bottom oven mostly stores pans.  Perhaps that's because I've never really liked the oven, or trusted it to keep flavors separate (so I've had both ovens baking at once but I don't bake in one while roasting in the other) or because I have a bigger oven downstairs in the basement kitchen and/or because we're a family of 3 (soon to be a family of 2 -- the kid'll be off to college the year after next).

At any rate, (a) anything would be an improvement (b ) I do appreciate not having to stoop to use the oven © I'm under the illusion that I might bake bread if I had a good place to proof it (d) I suspect that if I had convection (and upgraded to 30"), the second oven in the main kitchen would become superfluous (even heating/larger pans would give me more capacity in a single oven) -- OTOH, maybe a better double oven would allow me to diversify more, secure in the knowledge that I wouldn't end up with garlic-infused cakes.

The only oven I see consistently favorable reviews of online is the Samsung Flex duo, but it's only available as a range and the range is induction, so that's out.  Sounds like anything with electronics and self-cleaning  can be problematic. Ditto blue enameled-interiors.  I can't tell if all of this is just people who got lemons bitching on the internet or if these are systemic issues.  It's odd to me to see people having reliability problems with oven so early, since I think I've only had a repairman out once for my oven (maybe never).  (Of course I see uneven heating as an attribute of that oven and adjust accordinlgy and I rely on other thermometers rather than the dial, so maybe I compensate where others would call the repairman).  OTOH, lots of the calls sound like they're prompted by an electronic board/circuit being blown.

I'm somewhat tempted by the (very) new Blue Star Electric (single) wall oven.  Infrared broiler, french doors (I burn myself reaching over the drop down door), convection/proofing, built-in baking stone (can't tell whether that's a blessing or a curse).  And few (if any) electronics.  But I'm wide open to suggestions.  The CNet review of the Dacor double wall oven was very impressive, but I'm not finding backup for it elsewhere.

I have a wall oven as well and if I ever can afford a kitchen remodel, I'll get another wall oven. Anytime I've been in another kitchen that had a range oven combo, I've hated having to deal with the bend-lift-air blast that comes with the low oven. But I will get kne as wide and deep as possible.

I love my Bosch convection oven/gas range, but the caveat being it is also has a range and I have a smallish condo.  But it works really well and I have never had a problem with it.  The range top will get a little hot if the oven is on so you need to adjust the burners a little bit, but when the oven is warming it's a great place to set rising bread.  Perhaps if I was older I wouldn't like lifting things out of it, but on higher up ovens I tend to burn my arms.  I use it almost daily with no problems.  I don't know if they make a wall oven or etc, but all of our bosch appliances are now about 8 years old and work like they are brand new.  

but on higher up ovens I tend to burn my arms.

Interesting observation.  I'm quite a bit taller than you and that's never been an issue for me.  Smithhemb, take your height into consideration!

I've written about ovens several times in the kitchen remodeling thread, I think, and so have others, so have a look there.  I hate my fancy Thermador double (now four years old).  It has features that I consider bugs, like the fact that if you open the oven door and close it, the light will go off.  Or the fact that you can't broil unless the oven door is closed and the temperature is set to at least 450.  I don't always want to heat the food I'm broiling, dammit!

I had a Viking double from 1997-2009 and loved loved loved it, except that the interior was too small.  True story, when I complained to the builder that the ovens weren't wide enough, he said "but there are two of them!"  <_<  Right, so I'm supposed to take my full sheet cake pan and chop it in two?

Another bitch about the Thermador is that the one I use most often has developed a hot spot (the Viking never did).  And, when both ovens are in use, the temperatures do not stay consistent, which is fine for roasting but really sucks if you're baking pastry or cakes or cookies.

We have a double wall oven by Miele and I highly recommend it. If you are a baker, or prepare a lot of food all trying to hit the dining table at the same time, a double wall oven is the way to go.

I do not know our precise model at the moment, but it is similar to this. Our version is not auto-cleaning, but cleaning it manually is a snap. Make sure your contractor knows how to do the electrical on this if you go double, because trying to preheat two ovens at the same time on the same power cable back to your box will probably cause the jumper to shut off.

Please update the thread with your findings--very interested to know if you find out more about the BlueStar! :P If money were no object and we didn't hope to move out of our house at the first available moment, we'd be all over that oven.

I'm contemplating a kitchen remodel and while the cooktop looks relatively easy, I'm unsure about the oven.  So I'd be really interested if anyone here has a strong opinion (either way) re residential ovens.

I'm somewhat tempted by the (very) new Blue Star Electric (single) wall oven.  Infrared broiler, french doors (I burn myself reaching over the drop down door), convection/proofing, built-in baking stone (can't tell whether that's a blessing or a curse).  And few (if any) electronics.  But I'm wide open to suggestions.  The CNet review of the Dacor double wall oven was very impressive, but I'm not finding backup for it elsewhere.

I bought a Blue Star six-burner range when we remodeled our kitchen seven years ago. It has two 22 BTU power burners, which I love. I also like the cast iron burners and the fact that there are very few electronic components. At the time, there was a promotion where I could have it painted, and I had the choice of 99 RAL colors. To this day, it is my favorite thing about my kitchen.

post-10637-0-06201600-1401136148_thumb.j