That's where I'll be.

Any thoughts?

Back in my bachelor days I took a week-long vacation with a bunch of friends every summer in Pawleys. We had an awesome house there, but dining out was usually a bust.

As for Myrtle Beach, well, let's just say that Myrtle Beach makes Ocean City MD look like the French Riviera.

Quick report --

Louis's was a disappointment given all the hype around the guy. Just about everything Mrs JPW and I had was overcooked and dry.

Frank's was better.

The best meals that I had last week were the ones I made myself.

My parents recently built a house in Calabash, NC (a short hop north of the border from Myrtle Beach, really where the N. Myrtle Beach sprawl ends)...and the whole area is where the morbidly obese come to eat. Virtually every restaurant that I have been to subscribes to the More is More philosophy. If it's not your usual line up of chain restaurants then its middle brow places (a lot of Italian) that serves mega-portions. Seriously when they talk about the obesity problem in America, Myrtle Beach is pretty scary...especially the children.

However, I have found a few gems

Granny Allyn's in Calabash is a country diner that screams authenticity, the whole restaurant is a smoking section, they have at least 6 different types of sausage on the menu and some killer biscuits. Place closes at 2pm

Calabash Creamery serves some tasty and interesting ice cream.

Randy's Meat is a great butchery store on route 17 around Ocean Isle, NC

The Silver Coast Winery actually makes some half way decent wine...yes wine in North Carolina (although they get their grapes from inland parts of NC and Georgia)

Calabash is known for its Calabash style seafood, which translates into if its from the ocean we batter it and deep fry it, and down on the waterfront are a string of Calabash fish houses...none really stick out as better than the other but if cheap deep fried seafood is your thing than the Dockside restaurant is probably your best bet.

Myrtle Beach is great for the ocean, fishing, golfing, putt-putt and strip joints... bring your own steaks.

We are vacationing in North Myrtle Beach next week. I know how awful almost all the dining options are, but somebody, at some time, must have found a decent meal. We are willing to drive to Calabash at least once, but probably will not make the trek to Murrel's Inlet or Pawley's Island.

I lived in that food wasteland--Crescent Beach--for 21 years and know it well. We still manage to go down a couple times a year and I can tell you that things haven't improved much.

Pawley's Island is your best bet, so if you decide to drive down, Frank's is good, as are a couple of the other restaurants around the Hammock Shop. If you like baked goods--pies, cakes, etc.--there is a little bakery in Georgetown, SC, just 12 miles south of Pawley's, that makes the finest pecan pie I've ever tasted, as well as terrific apple pie and red velvet cake. And they have a very interesting selection of wines, albeit a small selection. It's called Kudzu Bakery and it's well worth the trek.

As for Myrtle and N. Myrtle, the pickins are slim--Collector's in Myrtle is OK, but overpriced. Greg Norman's at Barefoot Landing is pretty good. There are some chains that are OK, as well--Carraba's, Bonefish Grill, etc.

What I usually do when I go down is suspend my foodie instincts and go native, eating lots of fried seafood (think Calabash)--thank goodness for cocktail sauce and tartar sauce!--and big breakfasts. Cracker Barrel is one of my serious breakfast guilty pleasures.

Since the repsonses were slim, I will post a bit about our experience in Myrtle Beach. Bonefish Grill was a good choice - but recommend that you call ahead to reserve a table. We ate at one of the bar tables, which was ok. The meal was good - loads of food, but not bad quality. The calamari was lightly breaded and not at all greasy; one of my kids had a shrimp and scallop dish (a special that night) that she enjoyed; the other had a simple grilled salmon with the mango chutney. Much of the marketing of the restaurant is that you select a type of fish, how you want it cooked, and then choose between about 6 or so sauces. I had the shrimp fettucine, which was also satisfying, although not all that memorable.

A very good choice was Bimini Bar and Grill on Lake Arrowhead Road. This place has been there for over 20 years, and we had never eaten there before.. It is picnic tables and piles of seafood, well cooked and at very reasonable prices. My girls both had the snow crab, which were not watery or balnd. I had a mix of oysters - served fried, on the half shell or steamed, 1/2 price from 4-6pm), steamed clams, and conch fritters. This is a very casual, local place and was much better for the basic seafood fare than any other place we found in our last few trips.

Breakfast at Dino's was diner food as it should be - crisp bacon, tender biscuits, buttery grits, piles of pancakes, and osme of the sweetest tea I have ever had.

Places to avoid at all costs - Joe's Crab Shack at Barefoot Landing - bland, tasteless, overpriced seadfood, plus broccoli cooked to a color best described as sunwashed gray-green.

And most of all, Senor Frog's at Broadway on the Beach (actually, there is no reason for anyone to go to Broadway at the Beach, except maybe for the Ripley's Aquarium, which was not as good as Baltimore or Charleston, but was ok.) Anyway, at Senor Frog's (I said to my kids, it's basic Mexican, how bad can it be?) you wait outside, because if you waited inside you would NEVER stay for a meal. As you enter, the wait staff is blowing whistles and everyone inthe place jumps on their chair to sing and dance, and then they start dancing around the restaurant. We opt ot sit outside, where we are seranaded by the absolute worst lounge singer I have ever heard - I have heard better things at an elementary school talent show. We wanted to pay him to stop singing, although he was still being somewhat drowned out by the music and what not going on inside. The food, when it finally came, was inedible - we ordered a taco platter, which had ground hamburger (not what was described on the menu) that was of a quality somewhere eblow that of the boxed ElPaso mixes from the grocery store; chorizo that looked like what I feed my dogs, crusty refried beans, and and teeny piece of overcooked lobster; and black bean soup that was tasteless. We ate nothing. As we left, the entertainment inside was calling for all people from Virginia and West Virginia to stand on their chairs for free shots. Waiters walked around literally pouring alcohol direct from bottles into the mouths of parents, grandparents, barely of age young adults, etc. as they sat at their tables with their families. A night to go down in family dining history....

And most of all, Senor Frog's at Broadway on the Beach (actually, there is no reason for anyone to go to Broadway at the Beach, except maybe for the Ripley's Aquarium, which was not as good as Baltimore or Charleston, but was ok.) Anyway, at Senor Frog's (I said to my kids, it's basic Mexican, how bad can it be?) you wait outside, because if you waited inside you would NEVER stay for a meal. As you enter, the wait staff is blowing whistles and everyone inthe place jumps on their chair to sing and dance, and then they start dancing around the restaurant. We opt ot sit outside, where we are seranaded by the absolute worst lounge singer I have ever heard - I have heard better things at an elementary school talent show. We wanted to pay him to stop singing, although he was still being somewhat drowned out by the music and what not going on inside. The food, when it finally came, was inedible - we ordered a taco platter, which had ground hamburger (not what was described on the menu) that was of a quality somewhere eblow that of the boxed ElPaso mixes from the grocery store; chorizo that looked like what I feed my dogs, crusty refried beans, and and teeny piece of overcooked lobster; and black bean soup that was tasteless. We ate nothing. As we left, the entertainment inside was calling for all people from Virginia and West Virginia to stand on their chairs for free shots. Waiters walked around literally pouring alcohol direct from bottles into the mouths of parents, grandparents, barely of age young adults, etc. as they sat at their tables with their families. A night to go down in family dining history....
Senor Frog's is a chain whose branches seem to be located in Spring Break type of places. We had a similar experience at the Senor Frog's in Cancun about 7 years ago -- we thought we were just there for dinner, and the waitress pulled us into a conga line with shots being poured at us along the way. I don't remember much about the food. I'm sure the Spring Breakers must have a ball. :)

Unfortunately, I've eaten my way through Myrtle Beach over the years and am not proud of it. When Bonefish Grill is among the best restaurants (yes, the same Outback owned Bonefish that has five or six outlets here) it speaks volumes about dining options. For an exclamation point the biggest mound of fried seafood, french fries, french fried onion rings, fried hush puppies and mayonnaisey cole slaw I've ever seen on a plate was in Calabash. And, there was intense competition among the twenty or so restaurants to see who could pile the highest amount of fried food.

But there is one place that I genuinely like. Actually a lot: Flo's Place in (where you said you didn't want to go!) Murrell's Inlet. This is a good website which offers a number of opinions on it:

http://www.myrtlebeachscrestaurants.com/Fl...ells-Inlet.html

Flo's Place feels for all of the world like it's a roadhouse on a bayou in Opelousas. Actually, it's a roadhouse on a bayou in South Carolina but very good for what it is. A lot of ambience and worth the drive out of town to get to it. This is their website: http://flosplace.com

Southern Living named the Sea's Captain's House as the best seafood restaurant in the Myrtle Beach area. That's not really saying very much but I thought you should be aware of this! Still, I would go to Murrell's Inlet and Flo's. Unfortunately, it's enormously popular and considered the one "gourmet" dinner for all those who spend a week in Myrtle Beach and eat Calabash "style" every night. Expect a lot of ambience, friendly service and a restaurant that if you stumbled into it in Breaux Bridge-without knowing anything about it-you'd leave happy and contented. Also, after dark, you'll swear there are alligators just off the porch!

Edited by Joe H

lizzie, I'm glad you found a couple places to your liking. I should have mentioned Dino's, as the owner--Dino Thompson--was one of the first people I met when I moved there thirty-five years ago. He started out with Dino's, but over the years has opened several other restaurants and business. Dino's Pancake House is just as it always was--when I lived down there, it was my go-to for breakfast before work and on weekends. My wife was down there a couple weeks ago and had breakfast at Dino's twice--her reports mirror yours.

Bimini's used to be noted as a music venue--there was a time when there were good bar bands every weekend, including Hootie and the Blowfish, before they made it big. They would clear out the tables and pack 'em in. I only ate there once or twice and remember liking it.

Sea Captain's House is pretty good, but I'd much rather go to Murrell's Inlet. Flo's is a lot more fun and I'm an old Nance's Oyster Roast afficianado--happiness is a tub of steamed oysters and some good hot sauce.

Ugh, I'm headed down there next weekend for a bachelor party golf outing. I think we're staying at the Barefoot Resort. I'm making an incredible leap of logic to assume that Barefoot Landing is one and the same. Is there ANYWHERE there (aside from the Greg Norman place) that would be OK? I'm imagining one nice dinner out, then find cheaper options (greasy diner food will be fine given the amount of drinking that's likely to occur). We'll have a car, but probably not be driving all that much (see the aforementioned drinking).

Ugh, I'm headed down there next weekend for a bachelor party golf outing. I think we're staying at the Barefoot Resort. I'm making an incredible leap of logic to assume that Barefoot Landing is one and the same. Is there ANYWHERE there (aside from the Greg Norman place) that would be OK? I'm imagining one nice dinner out, then find cheaper options (greasy diner food will be fine given the amount of drinking that's likely to occur). We'll have a car, but probably not be driving all that much (see the aforementioned drinking).

Nope, not the same. Barefoot Landing is a shopping complex, Barefoot Resort is primarily a golf facility, a couple miles down US 17 from the Landing. But Barefoot Resort does have a Greg Norman-designed layout. As mentioned in a couple of previous posts, check out Flo's Place in Murrell's Inlet, about twenty miles south of where you are staying.

I'm afraid that you just won't find the level of restaurants we take for granted in metro DC. Myrtle Beach is about Calabash-style fried food in huge quantities--that's what the tourist like, so that's what you'll find. There are a few decent chains, mentioned in previous posts in this thread. But the golf is terrific.

As far as greasy spoon places, I haven't lived there since 1993. There weren't many late-night places in those day, but that may have changed.

Unfortunately, I've eaten my way through Myrtle Beach over the years and am not proud of it. When Bonefish Grill is among the best restaurants (yes, the same Outback owned Bonefish that has five or six outlets here) it speaks volumes about dining options. For an exclamation point the biggest mound of fried seafood, french fries, french fried onion rings, fried hush puppies and mayonnaisey cole slaw I've ever seen on a plate was in Calabash. And, there was intense competition among the twenty or so restaurants to see who could pile the highest amount of fried food.

But there is one place that I genuinely like. Actually a lot: Flo's Place in (where you said you didn't want to go!) Murrell's Inlet. This is a good website which offers a number of opinions on it:

http://www.myrtlebeachscrestaurants.com/Fl...ells-Inlet.html

Flo's Place feels for all of the world like it's a roadhouse on a bayou in Opelousas. Actually, it's a roadhouse on a bayou in South Carolina but very good for what it is. A lot of ambience and worth the drive out of town to get to it. This is their website: http://flosplace.com

Southern Living named the Sea's Captain's House as the best seafood restaurant in the Myrtle Beach area. That's not really saying very much but I thought you should be aware of this! Still, I would go to Murrell's Inlet and Flo's. Unfortunately, it's enormously popular and considered the one "gourmet" dinner for all those who spend a week in Myrtle Beach and eat Calabash "style" every night. Expect a lot of ambience, friendly service and a restaurant that if you stumbled into it in Breaux Bridge-without knowing anything about it-you'd leave happy and contented. Also, after dark, you'll swear there are alligators just off the porch!

Joe, I ate at Flo's last night. It was as I remembered it--funky, friendly, and the food was decent. I had fried green tomatos--yum--some good hush puppies with honey butter, and blackened catch of the day. The hush puppies were addictive, but I've always been a sucker for those little fried calorie balls, and the fish was pretty good. But I had a table on the porch that overlooks the marsh and spent some time just drinking in the atmosphere....and not a few beers.

"My dad in law lives in N Myrtle. Try the Outrigger for good seafood. It's nothing fancy but they have some great dishes and the hushpuppies are yummy!"

Way delayed response - for many many years my family always had at least one meal at the Outrigger, which offered all you can eat, but not as a buffet, but it fell victim to property values and other factors, and closed in the past few years. We are again headed to MB on a family and friends vacation. We are looking forward to several breakfasts at Dino's and may try Flo's this time. If anyone has found something new, please respond!

Quick report --

Louis's was a disappointment given all the hype around the guy. Just about everything Mrs JPW and I had was overcooked and dry.

Frank's was better.

The best meals that I had last week were the ones I made myself.

Hmmmm... The more things change and all that.

About the same, but Frank's was more than better. It was actually really good. Tom would give it 2 stars, maybe 2-1/2. Keep an eye on Chef Paul Kelly. The Pawley's Island Tavern more than merits its acronym.

Hmmmm... The more things change and all that.

About the same, but Frank's was more than better. It was actually really good. Tom would give it 2 stars, maybe 2-1/2. Keep an eye on Chef Paul Kelly. The Pawley's Island Tavern more than merits its acronym.
My parents live in Pawley's. They primarily go to Louis' for music and drinks but head to Georgetown for The Rice Paddy and Thomas's. After, they hit up the shrimp boat dock and pick up a couple pounds, heads on for pretty cheap. It's in a weird spot; it looks like it used to be a junkyard over there.

This is from Southern Living: Rice Paddy Restaurant (Lowcountry): 732 Front Street; (843) 546-2021. The menu changes with the season. On our visit we enjoyed rich shrimp-and-corn chowder, followed by sautéed salmon with grits and tomato-basil butter. Lunch, dinner (closed Sunday).

Thomas Cafe (Traditional Southern): 703 Front Street; (843) 546-7776. Think small and spartan, with only five tables, a few booths, and a handful of counter stools. Order the shrimp & grits for breakfast or one of the rice pilau dishes for lunch. Breakfast, lunch (lunch only on Sunday).

My sister in law lives in Pawley's and the only restaurant I've really liked in that area is Chive Blossom Cafe, located on Hwy 17 (9428 Ocean Hwy). They are attached to a health/organic food store and the food is very different from what you'll find along the rest of Hwy 17. The last time I was there I had a scallop cake served with a side of orzo that was fantastic. The orzo was done risotto style with a chicken stock and white wine base. It was very creamy and studded with asparagus, shitakes, and a couple other veggies I can't recall. The scallop cake was crisp on the outside with perfectly cooked scallops in the interior. I can only guess that they chill the cakes well before frying so that the scallops don't cook beyond medium.

They also offer several different soups daily with a flight of three soups available.

I worked in Georgetown, SC, from 1975-92 and had many meals at both the Rice Paddy and Thomas Cafe. In those days, the latter was your basic "locals get together and swap lies over coffee" place. It's just down the street from the courthouse, so there were always lawyers, judges, etc., having breakfast and coffee before going to work. Breakfast was definitely Thomas' best meal in those days.

The Rice Paddy was mostly a lunch destination. It had a tea room feel and had particularly good she-crab soup.

It sounds like both have broadened their scope in the past decade or two.

If you go to Georgetown, do not miss Kudzu Bakery. This is one of those treasures that once you've tried it, you'll go back every chance you get. I still visit friends in N. Myrtle Beach, but always drive the fifty miles to stock up on Kudzu goodies. The pecan pie is the best I've had and they have a pretty decent wine selection for such a small place. I also understand they have opened a larger store in Litchfield Beach.

I go to Myrtle Beach a few times a year. I think we've been to nearly every restaurant in town. Sure the chains are fine (Bonefish, Carrabas, etc) but why go out of town and eat at a chain? Here are some of my thoughts:

Collectors: Similar to something you'd find in Rehoboth. Food consistantly good, service not so good. Small portions, very expensive, but it keeps the riff-raff out. ;o) Also great desserts.

Pomodoros: Good modern Italian food.

Villa Romano: Traditional red-sauce Italian. And I do mean red-sauce. Everything is drowned in it. But it's good for what it is. Good value - garlic bread, soup AND salad are included with all entrees. Veal is always excellent.

(Come to think of it, all restaurants in this area tend to be excessive with salad dressings and sauces. Ask for it on the side if you don't like salad with your dressing.)

Bistro 217 in Pawley's Island: Worth the drive. The Eggplant Treasure Chest is a highlight.

La Playa in Pawleys: Latin restaurant, authentic, huge menu. Top quality ingredients.

Sea Captains: Tourist trap, but good choice for lunch/breakfast. Great view.

Throughbreds: If you are looking for a nice "classic" evening out, give this place a try. I'm not sure I'd frequent it back home in the DC area, but if you are looking for an upscale "romantic" steak & seafood place (think Ruth Chris/Palm/Mortons wannabe), Throughbreds is one of the only options in town.

Bummz: great lunch place - big sandwiches, right on the beach. (warning, prostitutes working at the motel across the street will approach you.)

Little Pigs BBQ: good hole-in-the-wall bbq joint. not greasy!

Franks/Louis @ Pawleys: Haven't made it to Franks yet - seems like it's always closed when I'm there. But only heard good things. Louis' was okay, nothing to rave about but the atmosphere is good. They did have a GREAT Peanut Butter Pie dessert that was amazing.

Capt Daves Dockside (Murrells Inlet): Good view, but underwhelmed by the food. Fly problem.

Olivers (Murrells Inlet): Has very good reviews & word of mouth, but again, I was underwhelmed. Service wasn't very good either. I think the hushpuppies were the best part.

Margaritaville @ Broadway: Friends picked this place...stay away unless you like tourist places. Bad food, noisy, bad service.

Umbertos Pittsburgh Italian: My all time WORST dining experience in Myrtle Beach. This place gets RAVE reviews, yet I found it truly horrible. The food was disgusting (even the soup and salad), the place was dirty, flies everywhere, the service awful. I will never understand why this place is always highly recommended. I've had better meals at fast food restaurants.

I don't eat seafood, but I've heard that the Calabash style places are terrible. Apparently everything is fried in years old grease.

We did the oyster roast at Nance's, which was an amusing local tradition, and a lot of work for small oysters without a whole lot of flavor. Except for the cold boiled peel and eat shrimp, which were tasty, the rest of the food was totally forgettable--crab cake, bleh. Cole slaw, way too sweet. Key lime pie, eh...

I have found the dining in the Greater Myrtle Beach area to be mediocre at best. Thai Season in North Myrtle Beach has become a solid option for the family, esp with veggie gf and sister-in-law.

The menu reads pretty standard but they put out good versions of the familiar, and they do not dumb down the heat...food ordered "medium" will definitely have a kick!

I've eaten here twice, and I believe that if located in DC, Thai season would be considered one of the good-better Thai restaurants in town.

1004 Hwy 17 South (at 9th Avenue S)

North Myrtle Beach

I have found the dining in the Greater Myrtle Beach area to be mediocre at best. Thai Season in North Myrtle Beach has become a solid option for the family, esp with veggie gf and sister-in-law.

The menu reads pretty standard but they put out good versions of the familiar, and they do not dumb down the heat...food ordered "medium" will definitely have a kick!

I've eaten here twice, and I believe that if located in DC, Thai season would be considered one of the good-better Thai restaurants in town.

North Myrtle Beach

Mediocre at best pretty much nails it....but you're right, Thai Seasons is a pretty good option, easily the best Thai on the beach. There are a few gems to be found, but they are few and far between.

Have you made it to Scott's yet? If you go, don't forget that they are only open Th-F-Sat.

Mediocre at best pretty much nails it....but you're right, Thai Seasons is a pretty good option, easily the best Thai on the beach. There are a few gems to be found, but they are few and far between.

Have you made it to Scott's yet? If you go, don't forget that they are only open Th-F-Sat.

I would go a bit further and say that mediocre is about what you can expect if you do some research and seek out the best. If you don't do that, and just take a shot at it, then you're really in trouble! Best meal I had there on the latest visit was a nice mixed seafood stew I cooked up myself. Woe be it to he who has no alternative to eating in restaurants.

I would go a bit further and say that mediocre is about what you can expect if you do some research and seek out the best. If you don't do that, and just take a shot at it, then you're really in trouble! Best meal I had there on the latest visit was a nice mixed seafood stew I cooked up myself. Woe be it to he who has no alternative to eating in restaurants.

There are a few places in Myrtle Beach that are better than mediocre.....Mr. Fish on US 17, around 31st Ave. N. is connected to the Mr. Fish seafood market and has some very good seafood, not at all like the Calabash-style places favored by most tourists. And because there are so many transplants from PA, NY, and NJ, there are quite a few very good red-sauce Italian places. Ciao on US 17 is one well-worth checking out. They are as good or better than any of that genre that we tried when we lived in DC. They are not particularly creative--mostly the red-sauce standards--but some do it very well, indeed.

And then there's Scott's, maybe the best bar-b-cue in the Carolinas and certainly miles better than anything in the DC area. It's nearly 60 miles from Myrtle Beach, in Hemingway, SC, but their bar-b-cue is famous, having been profiled in the NY Times, on Nightline, and in other foodie venues. The stuff is simply amazing....check out my post in "Hemingway, SC" on this forum...you'll find a link to the NY Times article and a documentary that is well worth a look.

When we moved down here in February, after 17 years in DC and hundreds of wonderful meals, many because of my love for this forum, I made a concerted effort--perhaps even an obsession--of finding decent food. It's been mostly frustrating, but has yielded a few gems. The fried chicken at Fresh Catch, just a few miles outside of MB on Highway 90, is wonderful and well-worth trying. The only Ethiopian restaurant in South Carolina is in downtown Myrtle Beach--it's owned by a professor at Coastal Carolina University and is pretty good. There's one Indian restaurant--Bombay at the Beach--and it's decent. Not Passage to India good, but it would hold its own with some of the lesser Indian restaurants in metro DC. I like it better than Minerva, to name one. There are several taquerias which cater to the may Mexican immigrants in the area....some are quite good, albeit inconsistent. I've ordered the chile rellenos maybe five times at Maya--on US 17--and have gotten it five different ways. Sometimes with beef, sometimes with cheese, once as a soup!....but each time good.

But as johnb notes, the best bet is to cook your own food...and we probably eat in five or six nights a weeks and go out maybe once per week. What we've lost in quality, we've made up in money saved.

yes, my parents live in Calabash and eat a lot of fresh seafood, either caught off the fishing pier at Sunset Beach, or bought from small fish shops that dot the back roads. Down at the Calabash harbor (where all the crappy Calabash-style seafood restaurants live) there are a couple shrimp shacks, selling fresh caught shrimp for dirt cheap as well as any by-catch they gets in the nets. There is a small shrimp fleet in Calabash, they go out for a couple days and then bring in the catch. Some of the best shrimp I've ever had!

Just back from Myrtle Beach and went to a couple places that were very good.

Chianti South in Little River is excellent. Was our third time dining there and they do not disappoint. We started with the Italian Antipasto comes with prosciutto, salami, cantaloupe, mozzarella, olives, anchovies, and tomatoes. The meats are melt in your mouth good, and the vegetables and cheese are very fresh. The cantaloupe was sweet and juicy and was just awesome paired with the prosciutto. House salad of field greens, all dressings made in house. I went with the house specialty - the veal chop. It was approximately 16 oz and all of it delicious. Seasoned perfectly. It was a little over cooked however. Ordered it medium rare, came out medium but still great. Served with three sad roasted red potato halves. They could improve a lot there. Plate looked silly with the large chop and three quarter sized potatoes. The wife had the veal special that day, veal scallopine with a garlic white wine sauce, roasted red peppers, olives and artichokes. Came with pasta marinara. Hers was delicious as well. The only bit i would criticize would be the marinara. It is a bit too acidic for me. The pasta however is great. They make all their own pasta. They have an extensive wine list covering the major wine producing regions of the world. I forget how many exactly, but my best guess would be 900 - 1200 bottles. We didn't do desert as nothing on the desert menu was grabbing us. Service was very good, attentive but not in our face. Before wine the bill averaged $35 per person. $6 charge for sharing. Map

Carolina Roadhouse in Myrtle Beach is part of a restaurant group that has locations throughout the south. This place reminded me of a slightly more upscale Sweetwater Tavern. They have one of the best salads around. Boiled egg, bacon, tomato, and almonds. Really good. The croissants drizzled with honey are light and delicious. I went with the bone in NY Strip. Cooked to a perfect medium rare. Slightly under seasoned. Came with underwhelming fries. The wife had an entree salad. Worked out to about $17 per person. Menu Map

For the best fried shrimp you have ever had go to the Inlet Crab House in Murrells Inlet. They are fresh shrimp lightly battered. I can't recommend anything else there because I only get the fried shrimp. Website Google maps has it in the wrong place. Here is the correct place - Map

Lastly there is Key West Grill at Broadway at the Beach. This is in the tourist trap shopping mecca of Myrtle. It was surprisingly good however. $3 Red Stripes all day.

I perused this thread before making my first trip to Myrtle Beach, and a week later I have to echo most of what's already been written. This place is like one giant Cheesecake Factory, with obscene portion sizes that I struggled to finish at every meal. Being with a group, I resigned myself to their choices without any debate or complaint. Impressions:

Joe's Crab Shack -- I've had a lot of mediocre meals at nationwide chains, but never one where the air conditioning wasn't working and the heat index was 104 degrees at dinner. Cheap beer only partially helped.

T-Bonz -- Although bearing an unfortunate name, this was possibly my favorite dinner of the trip. Their fried pickle chips were nice; the kind of greasy beach food I was in the mood to enjoy. Burger was nondescript but cooked to the requested temperature. The service was excellent, with a great waitress and multiple managers checking in despite a dining room packed to the hundreds. It was actually better service than I've received in some esteemed D.C. restaurants.

Liberty Grill -- Also owned by the T-Bonz group (uh, we had a lot of time to read walls at the bar while waiting), this was another cavernous restaurant pumping out a huge volume of food per night. I did get to try a burger with pimento cheese on it -- not sure how I missed that after living several years in the south -- and it was surprisingly good. I might even recreate one for myself at home.

Key West Grill -- Annoying up-sells (prepare for a blank stare from your waiter should you not indulge in their $45 lobster platter!). There's some scary "Caribbean" + southern fusion going on here: Sloppy Joes with Cuban slaw, burgers stacked with onion rings, pineapple, swiss cheese and horseradish mayo, diced mango added to everything else - you get the picture. I split some nachos and cut my losses with happy hour tacos.

Sugami -- Bizarre atmosphere. The sleek leather booths, dressy wait staff and Daft Punk blaring from the sushi bar seemed aimed at a hip, young crowd -- an audacious attempt considering the Treasure Island mini-golf course next door. I started with a couple pieces of salmon nigiri, which tasted OK but failed in execution (I realize it's Myrtle Beach, but the fish was cut almost paper thin - presumably to save money). Having seen enough of the sushi, I pressed on to a menu consisting of steak, hibachi grill items and classics such as orange chicken. I went for the sesame chicken, and received one of the blandest versions I've ever had (and I actually *like* the over-sauced, MSG-saturated versions from many Chinese take-outs). Drowning it with soy sauce didn't even help, and I stopped eating after my overcooked white rice ran out.

Sticky Fingers -- Southern franchise that reminded me of Red Hot and Blue. Best (frozen) fries of the trip -- thin, crispy on the outside and well-seasoned. My pulled pork platter was inoffensive and unmemorable. It also came with one of the sweetest corn muffins I've ever tasted. A friend ordered dessert and received a chocolate cake that was literally the size of two bricks, stacked next to a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For $6.99.

The two best things I ate were a cinnamon bun donut from Krispy Kreme and roast beef sub from Jersey Mike's.

A few things to add to my previous posts....

The Blue Elephant--a little Thai restaurant in Murrells Inlet (a few miles south of Myrtle Beach), it's only open for dinner and can be a little pricey if you're used to DC Thai prices, but the food is excellent, the spice level--if you order levels 3 or 4 (this is too hot for me, and I LOVE hot food!)--is incendiary, and all the meals are prepared by the owner/chef. Be prepared to spend a couple hours, as the food comes out at a leisurely pace. Far and away my favorite MB Thai.

Scott's Barbecue--see the "Hemingway, South Carolina" thread. It's a bit over an hour from MB and isn't really a restaurant, but you can pick up what is probably the best barbecue in South Carolina. It has been featured in ABC Nightline and the NYT. Well worth the drive.

Ciao--small Italian restaurant on business 17. No unusual dishes, but everything is done very well. Call for reservations.

Bombay at the Beach has slipped...not a good thing for a place that was mediocre on their best day. The little family-run Ethiopian place is still open and, despite a VERY limited menu, is pretty good. Mr. Fish has raised their prices, but it's still very good.

About 2 1/2 years later, thank you for this:

North Myrtle Beach

They may have dumbed down the heat now - or maybe we ordered things with no heat. But that's just fine - we enjoyed our meal, the prices were good, there was no "theme" and at $4.50, the happy hour mixed drink seemed like a steal.

I don't think I ever want to go "concept dining" again after being in Myrtle Beach.

- Key West Grille - I got the dozen oysters and was happy. Geeze, what a food factory.

- Margaritaville - the staff was SUPER nice, they seem to have imroved that aspect from the comments above. Again, what a factory - Fun atmosphere but if I want to just get some drinks I'd rather go with places like Fat Harold's up the road.

We've been mostly eating in despite the avalanch of ginormous food options. We might still hit Ciao. in the meantime, we're making notes for our second trip: Bring all the spices and stuff we like to have to cook, then rent a place with a decent kitchen.

Update to the above review:

When at the "Broadway on the Beach" place, we chose Key West Grill as it seemed...I dunno, like it might focus a little on the food compared to the others. Kind of like picking a restaurant in Epcot based on what seems most authentic I guess. I bring up Key West grill again as I got 14 oysters for $12.99 - and that's a pretty good deal. The merrior wasn't listed and there isn't a choice, however they seemed the larger more briney Atlantic oysters. If I were to go back, I might grab a beer and a few more oysters and enjoy the deck on a warmer day.

Ciao Italian was pretty good. We were lucky to get there early (4:30) and get a seat without a reservation - it was booked solid on a Thursday night in March. They only have about 20 tables so this makes sense. It is the kind of place where people were running into each other - shaking hands in the aisle, "how have you been" kind of thing - and this was table-to-table, not the host working the room. The food was good and prices were fair.

I feel like there's got to be more of the smaller places, places more about the food and less about the concept. Maybe not.

Another good option not mentioned is Tommy Bahama in Market Commons. Yes, a chain and "concept", but the food is very good. Service is hit or miss, and it's somewhat overpriced, but I'd recommend TB over any of the Broadway at the Beach places. http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Stores_Restaurants/Myrtle_Beach.jsp

There are several restaurants in Market Commons, I recommend avoiding all of them. Travinia was horrible, as was Nacho Hippo. I've had better tacos at Taco Bell.

A nearby gem is Rivertown Bistro in Conway. Definitely worth the drive. http://rivertownbistro.com/

Wish I could write about some new amazing discovery in the N. Myrtle Beach/Little River/Calabash area. But I can't.

Patio's Tiki Bar (Little River, SC) - I envision a Sysco truck backing up once a week and dropping off prepackaged, processed "food" that gets microwaved or deep fried...even the salad looked fake. Shame because they have a great location, with multiple outdoor and enclosed decks overlooking the Intercoastal Waterway and live music every night. So if you want to drink and listen to music while overlooking lush marshland...go for it. Just don't blame me if you get heartburn.

Bart's BBQ (Route 17, Ocean Isle Beach, NC area) - A solid effort on the bbq, not crazy about their sauce which is all vinegar with no complexity. Fortunately we had a bottle from Parker's and mixed it in. Bart's isn't going to rival the Eastern NC BBQ found in the Goldsboro, Wilson, Greenville areas, but it's also not a two hour drive away!

Otherwise you best option continues to be buying fresh seafood (Calabash has some great shrimp huts along its waterfront) and visiting the local farm stands.

Holden Brother's Farm Stand (Route 17, Shallotte, NC area) - Near mile marker 10 on Route 17, if you are driving along 17 from Shallotte down to the N.C./S.C. border you can't miss it. Lots of fresh produce: peaches, tomatoes, cantaloupe, potatoes, variety of beans and squash, onions, watermelon, baked goods, jams, pickles etc. etc. Stock up and pig out.

Ludlum's Fresh Produce (Holden Beach, NC area) - A smaller operation, but worth stopping in. Lots of tomatoes, peaches, cantaloupe, watermelon, all grown in fields less than 100 yards from the stand. Also some locally processed grains (Carolina rice and grits), as well as locally made key lime pie. Only a 10 minute drive from Holden Beach.

Just a quick update...

Scott's BBQ in Hemingway continues to amaze....60 miles from N. Myrtle Beach, it is worth the drive.  I was in there a few weeks ago when a couple of food writers associated with the Southern Foodways Alliance were sitting on the front porch happily eating their half-pounds of 'Q.  They had driven a couple hundred miles, so they left with several pounds.  That's pretty much the way it goes there...the first taste tells you that this is something very special and that you need to take as much home as you can reasonably eat.  I usually get two pounds for myself and several pounds for friends.  If you go, remember that it's cash only and that Scott's is closed Sunday through Tuesday.

Ciao is still good.  As another poster noted, it's small and popular, so reservations are recommended.  Lunch is a good option.

The Blue Elephant in Murrell's Inlet is still the go-to Thai place in the area.  Really, it's the only good choice and it's well worth the drive.  Another cash only place, so hit the bank machine before you go.  And it's a bit pricey compared to most of the Thai places in DC.  I love the Panang Salmon and despite having several other good choices, I am addicted to this one...spice level three.  (There is a four--the owner calls this level "authentic"--but given that the three induces plenty of sweat and more than enough heat to get the endorphins pumping, the highest level would be to much for this heat-lover.  Don't even think about it!).

Mr. Fish had moved to a new location around 63rd Ave. N on Business 17 in MB.  They have nightly special that are mostly terrific--I haven't had a mediocre special yet.  In a place saturated with fried seafood joints, this one stands out.  Their fried stuff is very well done and they get creative with their specials.  Given that Mr. Fish is connected to a the Mr. Fish seafood market, which is considered to be the best market on the beach, you can count on their seafood being fresh and of the best quality.

Lil' Tokyo in the Coastal Grand mall recently took second place at the Taste of the Beach for pho, so I naturally went down there the next day to check it out.  Unlike the pho houses in metro DC, there is only one choice of beef.  The broth paled in comparison to the rich and complex broth of my beloved Pho 75, but I was able to use the available condiments to create a passable bowl.  Given that this is a Japanese restaurant, it's probably expecting too much to expect something great.  At $10, it was a bit overpriced, but when I simply must have a bowl of pho, I'll go.

Last night I was craving Indian, so we drove 60 miles to Wilmington, NC, using a stop at Trader Joe's as an excuse.  After loading up on necessities like Gorgonzola Crisps (this puts the "crack" in cracker!), we stopped at Tandoori Bites, an Indian place a couple blocks away.  It appears to be in a converted Pizza Hut, so it's a bit odd on the outside.  Inside, the decor is quite nice and the service was cordial and helpful.  We ordered a couple of thalis--hers veg, mine non-veg, figuring this is a good way to get a feel for the place.  The naan was fair...a bit pillowy, I like mine more charred and thinner (Passage to India does it best, IMO).  The butter chicken was good, the shrimp tikka masala was better than good, and the lamb vindaloo was rich and fiery.  Geri really liked the dal makhani and the chana masala.  I asked for my food to be spicy and they did a good job with that...but kicking up an already spicy vindaloo challenged my limits.  We both agreed that this was far better than what we have in Myrtle Beach and that it will be worth another visit next time up.

Just a note regarding Tommy Bahama restaurant, mentioned in another post.  The corporate boys swooped in a pulled the plug on the place a couple months ago...I know one of the waitresses and she said there was absolutely no warning.  We had had a couple of meals there and thought it was better than your average franchise, but evidently business was not good enough.  But you can still go next door and buy a shirt....

And finally...Tweaked, I'm also a fan of Holden Farms.  It's my go-to place in the summer for heirloom tomatoes--about two bucks a pound and abundant, they keep us in caprese salad for most of the summer.  And they have the best prices anywhere for Blenheim ginger ale.  You can't beat that!

• Like 3

I can barely contain my glee as I post this! At last, there is good Indian food at the beach. In fact, Masala Zone is better than good and would hold it's own with some of the better Indian restaurants in metro DC. The owners are part of a family that have two very successful Indian restaurants in New Jersey and have years of experience and a wealth of culinary skills. The husband is from north India and his wife is from Hyderabad in south India...and they have cooks who specialize in cooking from various regions. The Chicken Hyderabadi is one of the finest dishes I've had--already spicy, I asked for "Indian spicy" and they delivered...perfectly. The flavor of this dish reminded me of some of the great curries I've eaten India. Their Fish Curry Madras is wonderful....as is their Kadai Chicken. A measure of how much I liked this place is that for three days after sitting down to their lunch buffet, I ate nothing but their food, which so far has ranged from good--Butter Chicken--to really good and even sublime. The naan is light and well blistered. The portions are very generous, so taking leftovers home for another meal is almost a given. My only quibble is that the food is sometimes lukewarm if the buffet trays are not replenished...so like most Indian restaurants, it is better order off the menu.

The setting is elegant and the ambiance is friendly...the owners are eager to please their customers and are open to feedback and suggestions. Slowly, good cooking is finding it's way down here. Tweaked...next time down, you must have a meal here. This is a seriously good restaurant that easily transcends the dreaded "good for Myrtle Beach" label.

• Like 2

Jeff - I'm heading to Holden Beach this summer for a week. I'm determined to make the Scott's BBQ run. Maybe I'll swing thru Masala Zone afterwards. Also planning to hit Wilbur's on the way down and Ayden, NC on the way back to DC.

• Like 1

North Myrtle Beach: We recently returned from our annual golf trip.  this year we stayed at Barefoot resort.  We visited two restaurants that are relatively new( at least to our group): "Castanos Italian Steakhouse" and "Midtown Bistro"

Castanos: great atmosphere, service was very attentive, food was outstanding.  Everyone who had steak said that they were perfectly prepared aged steaks.  I had pasta, great sauce, good portion and very tasty.

Midtown Bistro: a real find!  This restaurant is in a nondescript shopping center and was full of locals.  We were there on a Monday night when they had a Lasagna special that was outstanding and around $5.00.  The menu consist of standard items but there are always daily specials.  We had the stuffed banana peppers as an app. which were great.  Highly recommend this restaurant.  It will become one of our regular stops.

We also visited Umberto's and Normans Bistro.  Both remain high on our list of restaurants and we were not disappointed.  Also recommend both.

A few updates...

There is finally a pho house down here, located in Little River--a few miles north of Myrtle Beach, near the North Carolina border--next to Toby's Old World.  Decent pho with several possible combos of meats available.  Like most good pho houses, iNoodle's decor is functional and spartan.

There is an excellent Mexican restaurant--La Poblanita--on Highway 15, near 3rd Ave. South, in Myrtle Beach.  I usually go for a late lunch, around 2PM, as it tends to be packed during traditional meal hours.  No chips and salsa available, just good Mexican home cooking.  Excellent tacos, enchiladas, etc.  And very inexpensive.  Yelp is not the most reliable source of restaurant info, but check out the reviews on this one...it'll give you a good sense of how good this place is.  They do not serve alcohol and I've never seen anyone bring their own.

A combination Thai/Lao restaurant just opened in downtown Myrtle, right next to another Thai place that's been there for a long time.  Appropriately named Thai Lao, it has an interesting menu.  Haven't tried the Lao dishes, having only discovered the place yesterday.  I liked the pad thai I had yesterday.

Finally, the Indian place I recommended in my last post has changed its name and is now Masala Myrtle Beach.  "Masala Zone" is also the name of a well-known Indian restaurant in London and the owners of the MB establishment got letter threatening a lawsuit, unless the local place stop using the name.

A few updates...

There is finally a pho house down here, located in Little River--a few miles north of Myrtle Beach, near the North Carolina border--next to Toby's Old World.  Decent pho with several possible combos of meats available.  Like most good pho houses, iNoodle's decor is functional and spartan.

There is an excellent Mexican restaurant--La Poblanita--on Highway 15, near 3rd Ave. South, in Myrtle Beach.  I usually go for a late lunch, around 2PM, as it tends to be packed during traditional meal hours.  No chips and salsa available, just good Mexican home cooking.  Excellent tacos, enchiladas, etc.  And very inexpensive.  Yelp is not the most reliable source of restaurant info, but check out the reviews on this one...it'll give you a good sense of how good this place is.  They do not serve alcohol and I've never seen anyone bring their own.

Just a quick note. My wife and her sister are in Myrtle Beach right now and went to La Poblanita yesterday and RAVED about it (but for the lack of beer though) - a timely update from a fellow DRer results in massive food satisfaction. My thanks to you!!

• Like 1

Just a quick note. My wife and her sister are in Myrtle Beach right now and went to La Poblanita yesterday and RAVED about it (but for the lack of beer though) - a timely update from a fellow DRer results in massive food satisfaction. My thanks to you!!

You're welcome!  So glad that they liked it...it always feels good to know that a place I like has made someone else happy.  My wife and I had dinner there tonight.  I had the chicken enchiladas mole...the best mole I've ever tasted.  And the waitress brought us chips to go with the red and green salsas.  After countless meals, this was a first!

Inquiring for a friend, who write:

"...The facts (yes, they are what they are... I had NO input into why they are...) My oldest (son) is getting married in Myrtle Beach in September. As parents of the groom, we're entrusted with all things rehearsal dinner. The dilemma... Find a venue to hold same dinner... In Myrtle Beach... While I've never been, I've been learning about it and am understanding why I've never been... The top suggestions for venues from our future in-laws appear to in fact be some of the best restaurants (according to local reviews) they are not exactly what we're looking for... nudge, nudge... Soooo do you or any of the other foodies in your network, know of anything there that might not suck (and accommodate a group of 20-30)??? Forever in your debt if you can come up with anything even marginally better than this:"  [picture of unappealing lookinng place follows]

Any local experts?  Any help much appreciated.

Knowing nothing about these people, cost, etc. they should investigate Greg Norman's restaurant at Barefoot Landing. It's large so they can accomodate a group, clubby steakhouse vibe, food is ok to decent, and it's situated along the inner coastal waterway so you at least have a nice water view. I would guess that they are use to handling large groups.

Inquiring for a friend, who write:

"...The facts (yes, they are what they are... I had NO input into why they are...) My oldest (son) is getting married in Myrtle Beach in September. As parents of the groom, we're entrusted with all things rehearsal dinner. The dilemma... Find a venue to hold same dinner... In Myrtle Beach... While I've never been, I've been learning about it and am understanding why I've never been... The top suggestions for venues from our future in-laws appear to in fact be some of the best restaurants (according to local reviews) they are not exactly what we're looking for... nudge, nudge... Soooo do you or any of the other foodies in your network, know of anything there that might not suck (and accommodate a group of 20-30)??? Forever in your debt if you can come up with anything even marginally better than this:"  [picture of unappealing lookinng place follows]

Any local experts?  Any help much appreciated.

Tell them to learn to shag. :)

The four-step is all wrong; the shag should be three-step only. And, as long as I'm speaking cold, hard, *facts*, this is the best piece of Beach Music ever written:

Given that the last post on this thread was over three years ago, I guess the best way to sum up the food options in Myrtle Beach is "nothing to write home about," which was certainly true of our most recent visit to the area. We stayed Garden City, ten miles south of Myrtle Beach proper. 

First dinner was at Gulfstream Cafe. Great view of the marsh if you have a table by the window but the food was average and pricey and food was left in the fryer for several seconds too long. We would've been happy to have had the fried seafood platter at a dive for half the price, though @MichaelBDC really enjoyed his blackened mahi mahi. 

Second dinner was at Peppers Philly Steaks & Pizza in Socastee. We split the cheese steak sandwich and though probably not authentic philly style, was a pretty darn good sandwich. We ordered an Italian sandwich to go, which was average and not worth ordering again, but would definitely get the cheese steak sandwich again if we are ever back in Myrtle Beach. 

Final dinner was at Catfish Johnny's along the marsh walk in Murrell's Inlet. The peel and eat shrimp and seared tuna sandwich were surprisingly good. Tuna was cooked to a perfect medium rare and was seasoned nicely. Wouldn't go out of my way to go here again, but a nice option along a bunch of tourist trap like places along the marsh walk.

• Like 1