SouperGirl, Mini-Chain Vegan, Kosher, Soup and Salad Carryout on Carroll and Cedar Street NW at Takoma Metro and 18th and M Street Downtown

Soupergirl is located on M between CT and...18th st NW, this little take-away place just opened a few weeks ago. Some of you may recognize Soupergirl b/c she's been selling at local farmers' markets for years. Her food is all virgin (my short-hand for local, organic, eco-friendly, ect).  Plus she's  vegan and kosher.  In my eyes the vegan thing is a huge downside. I love meat. All kids of protein.

I digress.  The menu consists of maybe 6 fresh soups every day and they offer free tastes. She has Gazpacho (or did earlier this week). There's also pre-packaged salads of both the veggie and grain varieties. Some of her soups are served both warm and cold.

I've had a wonderful soy veggie soup and a fabulous quinoa salad that I added shrimp to once I got home. Excellent.  Didn't really need the shrimp but I thought: why not?

Give it a try; I think you'll like it.

http://www.thesoupergirl.com/

Located on M between CT and...18th st NW, this little take-away place just opened a few weeks ago. Some of you may recognize Soupergirl b/c she's been selling at local farmers' markets for years. Her food is all virgin (my short-hand for local, organic, eco-friendly, ect).  Plus she's  vegan and kosher.  In my eyes the vegan thing is a huge downside. I love meat. All kids of protein.

I digress.  The menu consists of maybe 6 fresh soups every day and they offer free tastes. She has Gaspacho (or did earlier this week). There's also pre-packaged salads of both the veggie and grain varieties. Some of her soups are served both warm and cold.

I've had a wonderful soy veggie soup and a fabulous quinoa salad that I added shrimp to once I got home. Excellent.  Didn't really need the shrimp but I thought: why not?

Give it a try; I think you'll like it.

Agree, I think the vegan will be a turn off for most customers. The timing, opening a soup restaurant in May, is questionable too. Just my opinion.

It's been about 4 years and it's still open and still good. Currently I am eating some lintel/veggie thing and I have a side of tomato gazpacho for later. As mentioned in a thread earlier this week, I have food allergies and was exposed to the allergen so am having trouble swallowing. While I am not, at all, vegan or kosher, I love having a go-to place for healthy, clearly labeled soft squishy food when I need it.

As to survivability: It has and many times I have seen groups of Jewish conventioneers in there so I think it serves more than just the downtown crowd. 

My absolute favorite is the beet gazpacho which is seasonal and I haven't seen it yet. That stuff is worth its weight in gold...I also wonder how it would be as a base for a bloody mary.

• Like 3